Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- adriennep: Please explain PCED and when exactly they affirmed it’s okay to fulfill Sunday obligation . We have a problem in Archdioces e of Portland with SSPX continuing Masses every weekend in a...
- MrsMacD: Dear Tina in Ashburn Our Lady appeared to St. Simon Stock on July 16th 1251. She promised that all Carmelites clothed in the scapular would not suffer eternal fire. The Church approved a...
- Kate: I’ve been thinking on their status lately. I guess I still don’ t understand what is left to make them fully regularize d.
- e.e.: Father spoke about the miracle at Cana generally and Mary’ ;s words to the servant: “Do whatever he tells you.” ; He reminded us that there are only a few occasions in the...
- Clinton R.: I am very suspicious of the actions and motives of His Holiness. However, I do pray for him everyday. I pray that God may grant him graces to be a faithful and worthy successor to St....
- JesusFreak84: I’ve almost given up trying to figure out what Pope Francis is thinking at any given time. I’m also curious what’ ;ll happen to these gestures towards the SSPX once...
- Hidden One: Perhaps there will be an incrementa l extension involving the Anointing of the Sick, granting universal faculties for SSPX clergy to offer it, even outside the immediate danger of death...
- Gerard Plourde: The view in Philadelph ia was spectacula r (a rare thing in the urban environmen t of the Northeast Megalopoli s). What a wonderful way to experience another manifestat ion of the...
- Gregg the Obscure: Father seized on the detail of the source of the water. This was water intended to wash off all the bad things of the outside world so that the home could be a place filled with...
- kurtmasur: I knew I was done with attending a certain parish as soon as I heard the choir sing during the Alleluia the “All eluia̶ 1; song as featured in the movie Shrek. They had played...
- Grabski: @gabrielsy me. I was raised in the shadow of the PNCC Cathedral. Their relationsh ip is “limited intercommu nion” meaning that Rome recognizes the validity of their sacraments which says...
- adriennep: Dan Schutte was part of the “St. Louis Jesuits” who back in the 1970s were singlehand edly responsibl e for the corruption of our Church music with their contempora ry folksy tunes. It...
- fmsb78: I am a SSPX attendee and just wanted to point out that if this movement finally paves the way for the so called “reg ularizatio n”, do you realize that would happen under...
- robtbrown: It is of no value to speak of pride, arrogance, and humility in this matter. It is possible to be proud and arrogant and be correct. Likewise, it is also possible to be humble and be...
- RichR: Dan wrote: This quote along with the more famous “when you sing you pray twice” are a favorite of many happy clappy music leaders You can tell them that they are misquoting Augustine. The...
- mikeinmo: Father spoke about the wedding feast, and said that even though the time had not yet come for Jesus to perform miracles, his Mother thought otherwise. He followed her lead and did as she...
- Fr. Kelly: I can say with certainty. While all of the priests of the FSSP and ICKSP who have faculties to say Mass in the Roman Rite, have faculties to offer the NOM, they are not required to do...
- GHP: Dear Father Z, I hope your TLM seed takes root in Tokyo! [Una Voce Japan has been at this for some time. I just poured a little water.] I will be living there in a couple of years in my...
- Fr_Andrew: The question is actually an interestin g Canonical question, in fact. It concerns a small, seemingly unimportan t section from Canon 200-203. It then needs help from commentato rs and...
- MrsMacD: I found the video where the FSSP priest says the above; https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? time_conti nue=33& ;v=5o-6izA kWXU
- HvonBlumenthal: Plus admirabili s I am certainly not an exquisite latinist but even I know that subsistit does not mean “is”. And if it did, then “subsistit in” would mean “is in” so the transla...
- IngridAiram: When things are okay-ish, I tend to sing it along. It does help tot worship in some way. When we happen to arrive in the monthly family Mass (which is usually a set Sunday, except when...
- MrsMacD: I have heard an FSSP priest say, ‘I have never said a novus ordo Mass, I have no interest in saying the Novus Ordo Mass, I will never say a novus ordo Mass.̵ 7; So that thing...
- Tina in Ashburn: The requiremen t for the Brown Scapular is 100 percent brown wool, no requiremen t of content for the strings. And yes, one can use the scapular medal as a lesser replacemen t....
- Mariana2: Very convenient ly was able to watch it from my bedroom window this morning.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- What’s up with the SSPX?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Going Ballistic
This is different. Priests officially opening a new shooting range in Poland earlier this week pic.twitter.com/qF2w7JH5bV — Notes from Poland ?? (@notesfrompoland) November 4, 2018 I have a problem with both of these guys, who don’t seem ever to have … Continue reading
This is a little offbeat. I need to blow off some My father sent an article, as fathers do. It is a riveting article about people who experience attacks by bears by using handguns. When you live in the north … Continue reading
From a reader…. QUAERITUR: Is it morally permissible for one to use lethal force in stopping a predator in a situation of abuse (i.e. in a seminary or elsewhere)? In my opinion, yes. Given that homosexual aggression can be also horrifically … Continue reading
This is interesting from the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald: Philippine Church resists calls to arm priests Church leaders in the Philippines criticised a proposal to arm priests as a protective measure in the wake of recent attacks … Continue reading
It’s 8:08 Saturday morning. You’ve slept in on a day off. Your phone has awakened you with a PING. With a measure of resentment you check The Precious™ for its message. You read it once. And again. And – with … Continue reading
Since it’s Sunday… a friend forwarded this to me from Right Wing News: Tampa church warns: We are armed & ready to use deadly force if a shooter attacks us The churchgoers at River at Tampa Bay Church are taking their … Continue reading
A dear friend sent this nifty story from Philly.com! GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, N.J. (CBS) — The Gloucester Township Police Department is hosting a free active shooter training event for local clergy next month. In a bulletin, police say they want to help … Continue reading
In the wake of the recent horrible Texas church massacre, I now have several email conversations going on – with laity and clergy – about having a concealed firearm in church. This is an issue which needs sober assessment by … Continue reading
A few things caught my eye this morning. First, I was amused by an faux pas from the loony anti-gun deranged Left which made wild claims about possible after market customizations of an AR-15 rifle system. HERE In a tweet, … Continue reading
From the Possenti Society. “The St. Gabriel Possenti Society commends Robert Engle of the Burdette Chapel Church of Christ in Antioch, Tennessee for stopping with his handgun a mass murder of congregants during services on Sunday, September 24,” Society chairman … Continue reading
This is great! Thanks to the folks at the NRA for this great way to start the day. Let’s make popcorn and watch the snowflakes freak out. Dana Loesch: We’re Coming For You New York Times
Today is the feast of St. Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows, Gabriel Possenti, according to the calendar of the Novus Ordo. In the older, traditional Missal we find that 28 February was given to him. 27 February is … Continue reading
Some complete…. jerk… busted one of the tusks off the delightful Bernini elephant in Rome near the Pantheon, in front of S. M. sopra Minerva. HERE In the Rome of Our pontificate, this person would have things broken off of … Continue reading
Both the up-ticket and down-ticket races this election are important. For me, an overriding issue is appointments to the SCOTUS and judiciary. Next, and related to it, is to halt the erosion of our civil rights. One of the rights … Continue reading
The AR-15 and its variants are much in the news again these days, as some call for their sales and ownership to be banned and some seek to defend them. Whichever side of the divide you are on, here is … Continue reading