Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Lauren35: Our Altar Guild has core groups that do weekly cleaning, flowers, laundry, etc. For Ember Days, we have major church cleaning over the course of a day or two. Once a year (maybe twice?)...
- catholiccomelately: Former Protestant here, who learned about linens and altar care at her motherR 17;s knee. And former ordained Lutheran woman, who learned about women̵ 7;s groups from...
- Diana: LOL @Alice! Stay away from the TidePods! I’ll learn to live with Sodality if I must. It’s just one of those words like “sla cks” and “Ant ietam̶ 1; that...
- KAS: Well, Space Weather Woman on Youtube has been expanding on the sorts of reports she does, and doing more talking about when the situation is going to be better or worse for GPS and HAM radio....
- Closettraddy: On Holy Saturday, my little parish had a Confession al booth installed. Years ago the parish was wreckovate d – Kneelers torn out, high altar dismantled and sold off for art...
- teachermom24: “Oka y, what are the solutions to this scenario? Altar and ROSARY Society? Altar and ADORATION Society? 8221; Yes. To keep any group of women in the church from turning in on...
- colospgs: If someone feels hurt by the truth, then the problem lies with them. It’s not the obligation of the proclaimer of the truth to ease the pain. One can try, of course, but there...
- John Grammaticus: Sounds like Tywin Lannister to the core. “And who are you the proud Lord said, that I should bow so low, only a cat in a different coat, the only truth I know” ;R...
- beelady: One more thought – this idea may be better received if the Servers Guild is structured the same way.
- beelady: *letting the Holy Spirit decide
- beelady: I believe that the only way to avoid the Guild becoming a clique or a club for a certain group of women is to make a list of what needs to be done and then draw lots for who is assigned to...
- CatholicHistoryNerd: If you want a variety of women to volunteer, it’s important to make boundaries and expectatio ns clear. Otherwise the group becomes a clique that one cannot join without...
- Patrick71: My traditiona l parish celebrated our first Holy Week as a parish in a big tent that seats 500. Two adult baptisms and half dozen confirmati ons and first communions .
- The Egyptian: ordinary catholic said How can I not wonder at what is going on with our supposedly so-called shepherds when they can NOT articulate the Truth of the Church This article says it...
- NancyA: Hello, Fr. Z! I’m a member of my parish Altar Society and, as another person responded, every woman in our parish is considered a member, but the real work is accomplish ed by about a dozen...
- Alice: My parish doesn̵ 7;t have an Altar and Rosary Society, but there are women who are charge of various things from funeral dinners to church cleaning. It’s a larger parish, so when...
- Diana: My parish has monthly “Lad ies Sodality Meetings 8221;, after First Saturday Mass and Adoration. Father gives a talk and then whoever can stay to clean does, although I underst...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Perhaps Tobin̵ 7;s words should be “ina dmissible& #8221;?
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Pre- 55 Holy Week. Solemn High liturgies for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and the Vigil. High Mass (only) on Easter morning. My choir director made the graci...
- Peter Stuart: Man’ s a Cardinal! Who am I to judge? This is why I bailed my struggling SSA self out to the SSPX a year ago: enough BS is enough.
- Tom of John of God: Ibimus Minneapoli tani ad Orientem, Pater! Perhaps a Solemn High Mass on Corpus Christi Thursday with the new set of white vestments, followed by a twilight candlelit Euchar...
- Glennonite: My retired priest (Father “Gam eshow-host ”) will give me Communion while I’m on my knees, But he usually “cut s” the side of my mouth with the host (as a...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Tom of John of God says: Latin Mass Society of Madison bussing on over to join Una Voce Minnesota I like the idea. Then again, perhaps Una Voce MN could turn to the East and...
- chantgirl: For technical training, the Williamsbu rg School of Needlework offers classes on embroidery and mastering altar linens. A friend took one of their week-long courses: https://ww w.wmbgn...
- Tom of John of God: You know, Father Z… in the Treaty of Paris of 1763 France ceded the territory west of the Mississipp i to Spain. I’m no canon lawyer (famous last words) but surely...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Good News
- A lesson in “selective aggression”
- A Cardinal on the ropes of logic
- PASCHALCAzT 50 – Easter Wednesday: You are a holy seed, a new colony of bees, the very flower of my ministry
- Fr. Z seeks advice about women
- A few Easter Vigil moments – UPDATES
- News from Norcia! Benedictines, beauty and beer
- Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
- PASCHALCAzT 49 – Easter Tuesday: Christ won it, but we can lose it
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio Tuesday: ZedNet reminder
- ASK FATHER: A 12 year old asks ” #EarthDay is coming up…”
- ASK FATHER: How to receive Communion on the tongue?
- ASK FATHER: Father used the blessing for a train when blessing my car
- PASCHALCAzT 48 – Easter Monday: Year by year by year
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
- POLL: Foot-washing on Holy Thursday where you are – ORDINARY FORM
- “Behold, I make all things new.”
- #GoodFriday and You: Prayers for Holy Souls in Purgatory and Plenary Indulgences
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: “How To…” – Practical Notes
Now that I have your attention, I would like to solicit some female readers… for advice. For advice about a Ladies Altar Guild. Altar… Society? I am sure that some of you have experience in establishing and participating in a … Continue reading
Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
There is a good piece at La Bussola Quotidiana (in Italian) about the Sacrament of Penance. I’ll give you a sample, but I don’t have the energy to translate the whole thing. Prelude: Apparently there was recently something called “Earth … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A 12 year old asks: Earth day is coming up and I have a question: Is being ecological a sin? She thinks is a sin because she thinks it is caring too much about the earth. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hi, Father. 1) I keep thinking that I should receive the Eucharist on the tongue, but am running into barriers, [you mean… like dopey priests?] to include the following: a) “how” to actually receive on the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: If a priest by mistake uses the blessing of a train for a car is there really a benediction places on the automobile or does the car in question still need to be blessed? Yes, I … Continue reading
Something which would enormously help every aspect of the life of the Church in the modern world is a revival of classic devotions and the return to a style of prayer which, to our ears, seems quite formal and, at … Continue reading
Tomorrow is Good Friday. Let’s review our obligations before the day arrives so that we aren’t taken by surprise. Two days of the year we modern Latin Church Catholics are asked both to fast and to abstain from meat. According to the … Continue reading
…. No! Really! The NYPost reports – and I have verified through a NYPD source that this is for real – a guy with gas cans walked into St. Patrick’s Cathedral in midtown Manhattan today and got his crazy ass … Continue reading
UPDATE 17 April 2019: A while ago I had a request from an exorcist of a US diocese for a recording not only of Chapter 3, but also of Chapter 2. “Euge! Euge!”, quoth I, “It is, however, long. But … Continue reading
I’ve been chatting with a friend. Here’s an idea. Those who are responsible for Notre Dame Cathedral might sell cubes of charred wood and vault from the burned roof. Say, 1 cm (5 cm for a lot more). This would … Continue reading
In 1 Peter 2:2-5 we read: As newborn babes, desire the rational milk without guile, that thereby you may grow unto salvation: If so be you have tasted that the Lord is sweet. Unto whom coming, as to a living stone, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can priests be trusted with all parishoners or do they have hang-ups with particular types of people? I am a single woman and I feel like the priest at my church doesn’t like to be called … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’m a youngish Catholic man who very much wants closeness with Christ through the Church in Her teachings and Sacraments. I’m also a Catholic man married to an unbaptized woman, who has been insistent on taking … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our priest’s sermons are dull, dry, predictable, boring, , too serious (they lack joy) don’t speak to the heart and are uninspiring. It’s like listening to a student teacher stand at the pulpit and give a … Continue reading