- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- SKAY said “Well, actually, there’s more. Mr. Trump has...
- colospgs said I think the Church did just fine for centuries wit...
- Manducat in the hat said And don’t forget Focus on the Family’s...
- Semper Gumby said Happy travels Fr. Z. acardnal: thanks.
- Semper Gumby said Prayers for the monks, sisters, and all. That Guy...
- un-ionized said GS and WB got their money in similar ways too.
- un-ionized said that’s what i meant. i know WB very well.
- Bryan D. Boyle said I look forward with eager anticipation to ANYTHING...
- VexillaRegis said Speaking of John Cleese, did you know has launched...
- SaintJude6 said Yes to the preaching (FSSP), and yes to the teachi...
- Giuseppe said My job description for Pope would be someone who s...
- SKAY said “This is like an election between Warren Buf...
- pannw said Oh, Beloved Benedict, did you not realize that we...
- boxerpaws63 said “Benedict said at the time he was stepping d...
- CATHOLIC THURSDAY EXTRA | Big Pulpit said […] Getting Scripture Wrong: Response to Har...
- CATHOLIC THURSDAY EXTRA | Big Pulpit said […] Meeting Point Sex Ed Program Not Ready f...
- asburyfox said jetlag, seriously, jetlag! It’s one excuse a...
- New Sister said P.S. a one-hour drive for a good parish is not on...
- iPadre said When one gets old, they can no longer travel. It i...
- anilwang said International travel has nothing to do with the of...
- New Sister said I would DEFINITELY go SSPX. (I often do when away...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Beth, Thanks for linking what seems to be the back...
- Benedict Joseph said This does not make sense. There is no reason in th...
- Ann Malley said @slainewe I’d venture that being goaded by t...
- bethv said “I ask you: Is the preaching at your parish...
- Venerator Sti Lot said un-ionized, “Look into his Section 8 dealing...
- Muv said Fr Z, You have the makings of a first class Recrui...
- JimGB said In the current era, one of the demands of the papa...
- zebedee said I wonder if the Prince of Darkness is awaiting Mr...
- Scotthayward said I would suggest implementing Father’s recomm...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Screwtape’s letter to Bitterwench
- Benedict explains more about why he abdicated
- Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, ready war.
- Monstrous Soros spent $650K to tame US bishops
- My View For Awhile: Inertia Edition
- ACTION ITEM: Prayers after Earthquake near Norcia, Italy
- Wherein Fr. Z asks readers to offer the Fishwrap some constructive help
- ASK FATHER: Only half-way decent parish near us is still not good. What to do?
- New scientific study concludes NOT “born that way”
- A proposal for wymynpriests
- PRP: 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- ASK FATHER: Converts trying to make 1st Confession –
- Detroit’s crafty new tax on churches
- 22 August: Immaculate Heart and Queenship of Mary
- Reader Feedback
- Must. Have. One.
- The USA Solar Eclipse of 2017 – signs in the heavens
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- A blast from the not too distant past
- Pope Francis’ Angelus: “our life is not a video game or a soap opera; our life is serious”
- ASK FATHER: People say Mass prayers together with the priest
- POLL: For whom will you vote in the 2016 Presidential Election?
- WDTPRS – 14th Sunday after Pentecost: healths, hands and the finger
- ACTION ITEM! Birettas for Seminarians Project!
- New art from Daniel Mitsui: The Mass of St Gregory
- WDTPRS – 21st Sunday of Ordinary Time: When “values” replace “virtues”
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Bp. Zubik (D. Pittburgh): “The No. 1 priority has to be, ‘We need to make our worship better.’”
- Pre-Order Pope Benedict’s new book – Last Testament: in his own words
- 14 Sept – Solemn Mass in the Bronx!
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Category Archives: “How To…” – Practical Notes
Sometimes Leon Trotsky is given credit for saying that you might not be interested in war but war is interested in you. He didn’t say that, exactly, but it is nevertheless true. I have not infrequently challenged you readers to … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When my wife and I attend Mass at our regular parish, we have always made it a point to receive Communion from the priest. Recently, when we did so, the priest stopped my wife, looked her in the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My family and I are converting to the church from Protestantism. We are a family of six and we have been turned away from confession at multiple churches because the half hour before Vigil and Sunday Mass wasn’t … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ve been attending daily mass when I can at a particular parish. When at Mass I often hear some people in the pews who whisper to themselves every single word the priest says at mass. I would like … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Recently I have just read regarding the minor order of Lector (I know it has been abolished). It is said that the lector can bless bread and fruit. My questions are: Is the blessings reserved only … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: At the end of today’s mass (Feast of the Assumption), the priest announced no confessions would be heard because “Sundays and solemnities are joyous occasions, so we don’t hear confessions.” I was dismayed. I find reconciliation … Continue reading
Today we are going to hear St. Pope Pius X’s encyclical letter of 1905 on Catechetics, On Teaching Christian Doctrine, Acerbo nimis. This could have been offered to us today. As you listen, tune your ear for how Pius talks about … Continue reading
Lately I received notice of, and a concrete copy of, newly released English translations of works by the great Doctor of the Church St. Robert Bellarmine (+1621). St. Robert was a Jesuit (a good one), a Cardinal, theology and profession … Continue reading
There are sacred places, things and persons. Mistreatment of a sacred place, thing or person is the sin of sacrilege. By blessings and consecrations, places, things and persons are taken from the secular, temporal, profane realm and given to the … Continue reading
Here is some interesting news. But watch how it is reported by AP. There is a new FSSP parish in New Hampshire. It looks like they are having their first Mass there today, Sunday 7 August. From AP (with my emphases and comments): … Continue reading
Go buy some grapes and take them to the priest for the Feast of the Transfiguration (tomorrow, 6 August), with a page from the Rituale Romanum (go to p. 345 – Benedictio uvarum), or cut and paste the English text … Continue reading
I was sent a link to a video of the Holy Mass in the Ordinary Form celebrated at the Proto-Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Seattle in Vancouver, WA for their Patronal Feast of St. James the Greater. At this parish … Continue reading