HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! All I did was say ‘I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God’ , and was immediatel y...
- robtbrown: Tony O, You quoted someone else, assuming it was me. It was not. An easy way to understand the question is that ChristR 17;s Life and Death (re-presen ted in the Eucharist) is the...
- maternalView: @RLseven I’ve found better organizati ons than Catholic Relief Services to donate to. CRS is an arm of the USCCB getting millions from the government and supporting abortion and...
- Mike: My son told me that Newman specifical ly requested a certain type of moldy dirt be put into his grave so he could “unto dust return”. I’ll try to find the source of this claim as soon as he...
- Kerry: From G.E.M Anscombe, On Transubsta ntiation, https://ar chive.seco ndspring.c o.uk/artic les/anscom be.htm It is easiest to tell what transubsta ntiation is by saying this: little child...
- Semper Gumby: DN: That is why you should do your research, I provided you a starting point. Also, note the difference between straightfo rward and flippant. Cheers.
- mo7: A goat rodeo? lol.
- Chonak: Where is the pastor getting his inspiratio n, the Dickeyvill e Grotto?
- -DN-: The Soviet request to do what? Bomb civilians? Your flippancy is counter-pr oductive.
- TonyO: Unless by “enthusias m for” he means “insuffici ently zealous opposition to”! Archlaic, good point: even the most energetic and “ent husiastic& #8221; US bishops who liked the old Mass...
- Hugh9: There is a book available “The Incorrupti bles” ; by Joan Carroll Cruz which describes the phenomena of incorrupt bodies of Saints. YouTube has some videos of allegedly incorr...
- AndyMo: The altar is Christ, not an art project.
- TonyO: There are three possibilit ies. 1. The Eucharist has the Form and Content of a meal 2. The Euchatist has Form of a Meal but Content of a Sacrifice. 3. The Eucharist has the Form and Content...
- TonyO: Let us instead posit the question differentl y. Is Fr. Reese s.j. within the bounds of current catechesis , the mode of the Liturgy and how it forms individual s? Or in other words, is the...
- Kathleen10: I find the incorrupti bles very compelling . Even if not in perfect condition, the difference between their bodies and what should be expected given the conditions is miraculous . I...
- TonyO: It is also interestin g that the “inc orruptR 21; bodies of saints seem to have a sort of relative “lif e expectancy ”, if we can use that phrase. That is, over the...
- L.: My understand ing was that while bodies of some Saints are incorrupt they’ ;re not indestruct ible. While their bodies may not decompose, they will dry out and perhaps become discolored ....
- robtbrown: This isn’ t necessaril y a matter of Jesuit attitude toward liturgy. Even in their times of theologica l glory, the 16th and 17th centuries, they had a funky understand ing of how...
- robtbrown: The bread and wine become the Body and Blood so that we may become members of the Body of Christ. This happens by: Being present at the Holy Sacrifice of The Mass. Eating the Body of...
- WmHesch: Parishione rs brought bricks to build Old St. Mary’s of Cincinnati in 1841… ; and baked them in the ovens of their own homes.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: “the Mass is not about adoring Jesus or even praying to Jesus.” That is simply an unbelievab le quote from even a liberal Jesuit priestR 30;.
- lgreen515: I would be interested to hear some reflection of what adoration is. I am a convert and I am still trying to get my head around it. I go to adoration& #8211;our parish has it every...
- dbonneville: The second image shows wax hands and wax face mask.
- Volanges: APX, not every parish stood during the Consecrati on before 2011. As a military dependent I’ve been posted across Canada since 1975 so my experience is in all provinces except B.C....
- teomatteo: The closest i have come to an incorrupti ble that wasnt designated as such was some years ago. I was scuba diving on a shipwreck in Lake Superior (Isle Royale) and there was a body still...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- PODCAzT 175: Traditional Profession of Faith of Converts
- ASK FATHER: Incorrupt bodies of saints
- ASK FATHER: How to explain the Eucharist to a Jesuit ( @ThomasReeseSJ )?
- ASK FATHER: Bring pebbles to church so we can make a new altar
- 20 August: St. Samuel, Old Testament prophet
- Jesuit Thomas Reese against Transubstantiation. Wherein Fr. Z responds.
- “LaCI and Beans” back at it again! Attack US Bishops for their enthusiastic implementation of law
- PODCAzT 174 and PRAYERCAzT: The Latin of the Traditional Rite of Baptism of a Child
- Your Good News
- Monday Morning Brain Jumpstart: some good reading
- “My sons playing Mass ‘against pagans’.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Our attitude at the altar
- That tragic Portland parish, the mistreatment of the priest. Fr. Z’s solution: “Let’s make a deal!”
- Is cutting off the money the way to go?
- ASK FATHER: Can I wear a scapular on my bullet proof vest?
- BOOK: Grandmother and the Priests
- What is a “liturgist”? Some thoughts.
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: Live in love to have later Love Himself
- Adventures in “gay” ad blocking
- Lighter Fare For Friday
- ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.
- The latest podcast on the upcoming Synod from Damian, Unbound. “@HolySmoke” is right!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?
- @JamesMartinSJ praises preaching by a religious sister. Let’s consider what he praised!
- VIDEO: 1950 – Pius XII infallibly proclaims the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Shoot up in Philadelphia – cops injured. I’m a simple guy and I’m worried.
- ASK FATHER: Priest puts up scandalous “gay” flag for annual public “pride” week. Bishop: zero help.
- Your Good News
- A Black Mass in the Vatican at the time of Vatican II?
- BACK TO SCHOOL TIME?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Category Archives: “How To…” – Practical Notes
I need seminarians and young (especially) priests to pay attention to this. Chad Pecknold, contributing editor at the Catholic Herald (where I have a weekly column), is articulate, bring and right. He manifests these attributes much to the dismay of … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father have you seen this recent Pew poll on how we as Catholics view the Eucharist? I’m a Youth Minister @ my Church. I can do talks till I’m blue in the face, but feel I … Continue reading
As I write, I am watching my recording of the public TV series American Experience – “Woodstock: Three Days That Defined a Generation“. FIFTY YEARS. A half a million kids descend on a field in NY for to hear music … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon during your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. Today I had the pleasure of being deacon for this morning’s Solemn Mass. One of the local priests had, at the last … Continue reading
From priest… QUAERITUR: At the moment I’m at a presbyteral retreat. When you get a bunch of priests together, you’re bound to see the whole range of liturgical “sensibilities,” leaving aside entirely the dinner table conversation… [For sure. I look … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Long time reader, first time questioner. I have a friend that will soon be getting married. On Saturday he will have a traditional Catholic Church wedding. However, on Sunday he is having a reception in which … Continue reading
From midnight tonight to midnight tomorrow, 2 August, you can gain the “Portinuncula” Indulgence. This indulgence seems to have been granted directly by Christ Himself in an appearance to St. Francis. The Lord them told Francis to go to Pope Honorius III, who, … Continue reading
Congratulations, reverend and dear gentlemen and welcome to the priesthood. We older guys are all for you, except when we are against you. That’s going to happen, now and then. If you are straight and you are faithful, some guys … Continue reading
Remember the story some time ago about the beautiful Shrine of St. Anne in Fall River, MA, that was scheduled for closure? It looked grim for the magnificent church. A group of lay people got organized, worked something out with … Continue reading
From a reader on Twitter… QUAERITUR: @fatherz Thx for posting about the Taylor Marshall & Fr Nix talk which I also watched. How can we get the Baptism old rite elements supplied? My priests r unaware it’s permitted. Is there … Continue reading
I occasionally catch video interviews that Taylor Marshall has with folks who interest me. Today I saw most of a video he did with Fr. David Nix, a good young priest in Denver whom I’ve met. They both are both … Continue reading
UPDATE 15 July 2019: Rev. Mr. Kandra remarked at his blog about this post. He disappoints. The non-canonist deacon disagrees with the canonical arguments of the esteemed canonist Ed Peters. Fine. Kandra can state a position and attempt to defend it. So … Continue reading
What a great title! The nice folks at Angelico Press sent a copy of In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church by Fr. Roberto Spataro, Secretary of the Pontifical Academy for Latin. US HERE … Continue reading