Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- semperficatholic: Amen to that! I used to pray Cardinal Arinze would be elected Pope; also Cardinal Sarah. There is still hope; hope will help you cope.
- Henry Edwards: “the bishops of that sad place are going to the zoo about Communion for non-Cathol ics.” ; Is the problem in Germany simply the apparent fact that the German bishops have...
- RichR: If you are sincere in your penitence, wordiness is unnecessar y. God knows your heart and your sins better than you do. The priest just needs to know your sins (number and kind) to exerc...
- robtbrown: Malta says: 24 May 2018 at 7:58 AM It seems he contradict s himself to some degree on the issue of homosexual ity (cf: http://the week.com/a rticles/77 4517/pope- francis-cu nning-l...
- robtbrown: Jhayes, Those with deeply rooted homosexual tendencies and those who practice homosexual acts: Who has been excluded (other than heterosexu als)?
- JPD: I think if someone wants to make a General Confession ; then yes more time will be required. However, I have stood in the confession line waiting for 10, 15, 20 minutes for one person to...
- JonPatrick: As a way of strengthen ing your faith I would also recommend “The Catholic Catechism: by Fr. John Hardon SJ. Don’ t be put off by the SJ at the end of his name, he is very...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Father. Sins are sins. They need to be confessed. And in confession that is it. I have often had penitents who have not been to confession in decades (as all...
- Nan: Have you brought that priest to Abp’ s attention?
- Grant M: I remember reading somewhere, possibly, on this very blog, an anecdote pertinent to this situation. Protestant to her Catholic friend: “I wish I could receive communion in your churc...
- JesusFreak84: jhayes touched on what I was thinking as I read this. IF there is a priest who experience s same-sex temptation s BUT resists them just as strongly as his heterosexu al brother...
- JesusFreak84: I can think of another time where an appointmen t might be best, even necessary: if the person is handicappe d in some way that requires accommodat ion. I’ve been in very few...
- iamlucky13: Does it matter if a priest makes a convincing argument that Luke 13 and other passages are misunderst ood, and all are saved? Can’ t we strive to be the best people we can, to do...
- Julia_Augusta: Last year when I came back to the Church after decades away, I made an appointmen t with a priest because I knew my Confession would take a long time. I had decades worth of sins to...
- TonyO: But it seems every priest, bishop and such have their own opinions about salvation& #8230;Who is right? Here is a dose of help in knowing how to find the ones to trust, and to identify the...
- andia: Would you recommend one make an appointmen t if its been a Long time since one went to confession ? Say years or even decades? Or if one is unsure how anymore? [That could be a good idea. Of...
- JSzczuka: The thing that bothered me (most) about this article/au thor was the short paragraph neat the end of it that reads: “Jua n Carlos Cruz is gay, that’ ;s how God made him, and...
- jhayes: According to Crux, the comments were about certain, but not all persons with homosexual tendencies . The distinctio n is consistent with existing policy statements . ROME- According to...
- robtbrown: Antonin says, His mandate was to clean up the Curia, address financial issues, and enact certain ecclesiast ical reforms called for since VII (increase role of Bishop conference s,...
- Jack in NH: “Frankly, I think that the number of the saved is a good deal smaller than the number of the damned.” That’s why we have a ‘Highway to hell’, and only a ‘Stairway to Heaven’! ;-)
- Semper Gumby: Those Honus Wagner tobacco cards are rare, no wonder they had it in a separate case, and probably accessed by drawbridge over a crocodile- filled moat. VP: Thanks for that poem,...
- G1j: Our parish priest will not deny anyone communion either. He says he is not in a position to judge whether or not the individual is worthy of receiving. He says that is on the individual . What...
- Fr_Andrew: The terminolog y used by moral theologian s, I think helps. When we confess a sin and receive absolution for it then this sin is directly remitted. When we make our best effort to...
- frjim4321: I suspect that he’s referring to those who genitally act out regularly and without any kind of self-refle ction or restraint. [“if you have also the slightest doubt it’s better not...
- VP: The Pope and those influencin g (or directing) him know that creating doubt over an issue is sufficient to upset existing order. Pastors everywhere will have to tread yet another critical line...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How do we get the TLM where we are?
- Card. Arinze: If you want Communion, become a Catholic
- URGENT PRAYER – IRELAND
- ASK FATHER: When to make an appointment for confession
- ASK FATHER: Sorting out confusing, contradictory messages from priests
- Wherein Fr. Z assigns some worthwhile reading
- Met “Gay-la” and new movie. Coincidence? I think not.
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: “How To…” – Practical Notes
We are wobbling on the edge of a point where two demographic cliff faces converge.
First, there is in most dioceses a clamant, ongoing loss in the number of active priests. This will get worse in the next few years.
Also, there … Continue reading
From a priest…
A devout Catholic couple would like to get married using the EF vows (in English), but would like to have an Ordinary Form Latin Mass. Could I do their vows in the EF outside of Mass, and then … Continue reading
Churches come and churches go. They are means to an end. When there is need for a church, a church is built. When there is no need – or these days no desire – for a church, the church falls … Continue reading
From a reader…
Fr. Z, my daughter’s boyfriend became Catholic last night; she was his sponsor. His parents are protestant and go to Church on TV. This morning they told him if he didn’t watch the preacher with them that they … Continue reading
First, I am looking for a priest who could – soon – take a Gregorian Mass set using exclusively the Usus Antiquior. Please drop me a line. This is concrete.
Second, I wonder if there are any young musicians out there who … Continue reading
From a reader…
If a hospital patient that is able to confess still gets the sacrament of the sick does it just forgive venial sins or mortal ones too?
First, let’s be clear about something. The sacrament of anointing is not to … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 March:
Link to the transcript of the oral arguments for the good guys. HERE
Originally Published on: Mar 19, 2018
Can the government force Christian pro-life centers to advertise taxpayer-funded abortions? California says they can.
That’s the essential question the US Supreme Court will … Continue reading
From a priest…
I’m a priest who occasionally gets asked to hear confessions in a jail where the only way to speak to a person is through glass and a telephone headset. Without using the phone, one can barely hear the other talking through … Continue reading
Was there a good point made during the sermon you heard for your Mass of obligation this 5th Sunday of Lent (Novus Ordo).
From this Sunday, traditionally called 1st Sunday of the Passion, it is customary to veil images in churches. … Continue reading