Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Sawyer: Just another example of a Jesuit priest in good standing with his religious superior and having the support of the cardinal archbishop who has given him faculties in his archdioces e. Mind...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): When priests pull these stunts, there needs to be immediate, on-the-sce ne pushback from the pews. We shouldn’t worry about being disrespect ful or desecratin g the Mass:...
- Elizabeth D: I am going out on a limb and say that I think this has to do with a natural kind of gut reaction that some sex abuse victims have to the calls for doing penance for the perpetrato rs....
- Elizabeth D: I saw that Dr Peters comments on her proposal that men who have been victims of sex abuse be screened out because it is a risk factor for becoming an abuser. I only glanced through his...
- frmgcmma: When our Lady of Fatima appeared six time, she smiled just once. When? After the children had been exhorted many times to “mak e sacrifices for sinners 221; and they used a piece...
- Joe in Canada: I presume that Fr James will not be doing any prayer or fasting as he has not committed any of these sins. I pray the Divine Mercy chaplet with others who choose to join me on Friday...
- Dan: Satan has liked that post and will likely be retweeting it repeatedly though his lackeys of course. At what point do we pull his Catholic card? I admit, I can do penance, and fasting for the...
- Suburbanbanshee: Jesus was innocent too. I guess that whole “die to save us from sin” was a bad plan? If you don’ t even believe the fundamenta ls of Christiani ty, why are you...
- Il Ratzingeriano: http://www .marcotosa tti.com/20 18/09/18/l agenda-per -la-chiesa -normalita -di-adulte rio-omoses sualita-se sso-libero -e-nozze-g ay/ Marco Tosatti has a terrifying summary of...
- Dan: I think it is important to remember that this is not a Church issue. Sexual deviancy is an issue that has permeated our society so deeply that it has even penetrated deep into the heart of the...
- Dan: Mary is right that the laity are angry. I am angry. I am not angry that this abuse has once again resurfaced through. I am glad for that. I am angry and fearful that like so many other issues,...
- Colm: From Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. (http://do minican-li turgy.blog spot.com): Q: May priest members of the Dominican Laity use the Dominican liturgical books of 1962? A: There are very few...
- padredana: I’m not sure about Dominicans Tertiaries , but I can speak about Benedictin e Oblates. I am a priest Oblate of the Monastery in Norcia, and we are allowed to insert St. Bened...
- PetersBarque: What is now known is the fact that damnable sins were committed for decades right under our noses by wicked wolves in sheep̵ 7;s clothing, none of whom have yet to howl one...
- Mother Seton: Akita, that wasn’ ;t Jimmy Stewart. Spencer Tracy.
- semperficatholic: My granddaugh ter was married on this Feast Day. Most brides and grooms bring flowers to Our Lady during their wedding, but my granddaugh ter chose to take her flowers to a niche...
- un-ionized: KateD, purple is every little girl’ ;s favorite color, and some adult girls, including me. Don’ t let peripheral issues poison your likes and dislikes.
- JonPatrick: To be honest I don’ t care much about the other Gay Mafias, I don’ t watch TV other than baseball and I expect the world to be a cesspool. What bothers me is the way our...
- Akita: Robtbrown, I would hardly hold Jimmy Stewart up as a paragon of virtue. He had a very public, long term affair with Katharine Hepburn, did he not?
- Dismas: Hmmm… ;I will have to disagree. Each of those institutio ns (and more) are not infiltrate d, as such would be a covert action with the intention of subverting the foundation of said...
- KateD: But why lavender? CouldnR 17;t it be…O h I don’ t know, the Salmon Pink Mafia? My favorite color as a younger person was purpleR 30;.until I learned it’s the color of...
- Adelle Cecilia: Tho said, “Why do they forget about the scourge of Aids.̶ 1; I was taken completely aback, the other evening, when a pill for “red ucing the risk of HIV” was...
- mo7: Our priest preached ably on the readings from the OF, speaking of the value of suffering, at the EF. Hey It’s all good.
- Kathleen10: Education – top to bottom. I can verify, there are many more homosexual s in education now, and like all special interest groups, they hire and promote their own. Music indus...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Also, I invite anyone here to read, if they havent already, “The Homosexual Manifesto& #8221; penned by Michael Swift as a “sat ire” for a Gay Magaz...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- More Jesuit idiocy
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
- Morning After Pill of UK ‘c’atholics – @The_Tablet – falsehood about @BishopMorlino
- IRONY! Francis calls 2019 meeting of bishops on Feast of St. Peter Damian
- A prayer for your confessor, the priest to whom you are about to make your confession
- UPDATES! URGENT TO BISHOPS OF @RaleighDiocese @diosav @DioceseChas @archatl @CatholicNewsCLT
- #HurricaneFlorence, the Carolinas, and You (extraction, security, etc.)
- My View For Awhile: From the Starfield, back to Benghazi
- The Viganò Testimony: Was it justified or was it a violation of an oath?
- Francis: Uncovering sins of Bishops is work of Satan. UPDATED!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Liturgy Science Theatre 3000
This comes from a reader…
On a somewhat lighter note, what liturgical changes do you think would have to be made for chaplains of a hypothetical Space Force to celebrate Mass in the Extraterrestrial Form? In particular, the Precious Blood seems particularly difficult to … Continue reading
Let’s look at the Collect for the upcoming 21st Sunday of Ordinary Time:
Deus, qui fidelium mentes unius efficis voluntatis, da populis tuis id amare quod praecipis, id desiderare quod promittis, ut, inter mundanas varietates, ibi nostra fixa sint corda, ubi … Continue reading
Do you want to know what true clericalism looks like? How about taking it on yourself to edit Scripture to be read at Mass.
I got an email today from a regular priestly correspondent. He sent Sunday’s (tomorrow, 21st Ordinary) second reading options … Continue reading
Here is a photo of Card. Farrell, the understudy of non-Card. McCarrick for some many years in Washington DC, now the Prefect of the Dicastery for the Family, who also said that priests are not able properly to prepare couples … Continue reading
The Collect for the 20th Ordinary Sunday, found also in the 8th century Gelasian Sacramentary, is in the 1962 Missale Romanum for the 5th Sunday after Pentecost.
Deus, qui diligentibus te bona invisibilia praeparasti, infunde cordibus nostris tui amoris affectum, ut, … Continue reading
PROPOSAL TO ALL THE BISHOPS OF THESE USA FOR YOUR NOVEMBER MEETING
These times call for action that priests and bishops are truly ordained for: wield spiritual authority given by Christ Himself.
Let’s use all our spiritual weapons. Prayer, fasting, almsgiving, mortifications, … Continue reading
His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke (whom Clement XIV-II would give the title “Indagator Particularis in perpetuo)” was on Raymond Arroyo’s show last night.
Here is the full video. I set it to start at the interview.
Among interesting moments are
Card. Burke’s … Continue reading
A while back I posted about the old Rite of Degradation of a Bishop, found even in rather modern editions of the traditional Pontificale Romanum. I posted the text, some notes and my translation.
The rites are provided for degrading an archbishop, … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard at the Mass you frequented in fulfillment of your Sunday obligation?
Let us know what it was!
For my part, I am not scheduled today! However, each year the seminarians of … Continue reading
In today’s PODCAzT I read just a bit of a fairly recent book by Peter Kwasniewski:
Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness: Why the Modern Age Needs the Mass of Ages
US HERE – UK HERE
It has a foreward by the great Martin Mosebach, author of The Heresy of … Continue reading
“Association of the Lord’s Body with the needs of our bodies, and of his Blood with the needs of our souls…”
There is a terrific post at Fr. Hunwicke’s Mutual Enrichment today. He drills into the famous Anglican “humble crumble” or, better, the Prayer of Humble Access which those in the Anglican communion were/are wont to recite. Let’ s have a taste … Continue reading
The good news. Pontifical Masses are springing up everywhere. For example, I read about another in El Paso for Assumption.
Now I see this great story, in French, about an event in Poland.
Twelve priests celebrated the traditional Mass for the first … Continue reading
Have you seen that there is now an investigation of St. John’s Seminary in Boston. Card. O’Malley announced that the rector is now on sabbatical now and he appointed a task group to examine “issues of sexual harassment or other forms … Continue reading
The Collect for the 19th Sunday of Ordinary Time was not in previous editions Missale Romanum before the 1970 Novus Ordo. It has roots in the 9th century Sacramentary of Bergamo and thus is ancient text.
Note that for the 2002 Missale … Continue reading
In the older, traditional way of thinking about Holy Mass, when we celebrate a traditional Pontifical Mass, especially at the throne, we perceive the Mass as being the spiritual gathering of the entire diocese in that moment and place in … Continue reading