Search Fr. Z’s Blog
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- The Cobbler: When I was a wee lad, my father once put me to bed by telling me to “Rem ember the four last things: stay in bed, be quiet, close your eyes and go to sleep.R 21; I asked why...
- The Cobbler: Rob83, Gotta love women in any case, and as a rule I oppose lowering ourselves to the level of our opponents, but if ever one of those women tries to get in the way of a means of grace...
- The Cobbler: The other day I heard Australian author Tracey Rowland give a great talk in Rome about Newman’s idea of a university in juxtaposit ion with what’s going on in education today and what...
- The Cobbler: Matamoros, I find it funny in turn when issues concerning the people of foreign nations are assumed to be “rac ial” , as though those nations are ethnically homogeneou s...
- Suburbanbanshee: Demons are sometimes described as being like biting flies or wasps. Not usually bees, but maybe this was drone warfare. Anyway, a good thing to have done; and whatever other...
- Spinmamma: Fervent prayers offered for the success of the blog move. My heart quails to think there may be some serious glitches and this lifeline is interrupte d. I hope the idea of a tech group...
- Kevin: God Bless you Fr. Z. Christus Vincit
- Philmont237: Did this priest (let’ ;s call him Fr. Boniface) also hypothetic ally spill a bottle of roundup on said tree that might be a demonic throne?
- The Cobbler: (Apologies for cross-post ing with your third comment; my browser must have cached the page last night.)
- The Cobbler: Amante de los Manuales, Your point 1 is equivalent to assuming that “Joh n did not say the sky is blue” ; means the same as “Joh n said the sky is not blue.̶ 1; As...
- OBLATEBEDE: Chess under a fig tree in Rome sounds perfect.
- Kathleen10: Yes God bless you and keep you as you suffer the stings and arrowsR 30;.oh never mind… ;. God bless whoever did it. The photos are gorgeous, love the men playing checkers.
- UncleBlobb: In case I don’ t make it to the new blog land, or I can’ t comment there for a while̷ 0; God bless you, Father Z! Thank you so much! Laudetur Jesus Christus!
- Simon_GNR: acardnal says: Julia_Augu sta, Chick-fil- A offers grilled chicken breastR 30;… . Much as I might agree with Chick-fil- A’s proprietor s’ views, I shall never go to...
- mbarry: I tell you, when I finally make it to Rome my wife and I will spend all of our time just visiting churches. They are so beautiful and transcende nt…
- Thomas Stewart: Sorry to hear that you have to move your site. The owner of WordPress was born Catholic, and he’d be a great resource except that now he’s just a standard Coastal...
- Iconophilios: I have no doubts to the tastiness of the food at Chick-fil- A, though it does not exist where I am from. Also, it is laudable that they are a counter-cu ltural presence in US life by...
- Amante de los Manuales: Perhaps I understand you better now, Father. You’ re also relying on Canon 1331? It seems the right canon to cite, as I see Peters did in 2013, for showing that the...
- The Cobbler: A woman is a symbol of life. A tree is a symbol of life. But the first symbolic tree to come to mind got a particular ly prominent woman in a Hell of trouble, if you’ ll pardon...
- ArthurH: Kukla: I believe “lov e the sinner hate the sin” has been the norm… ; just about forever from the start. What has happened, however, is that LGBT… ;XYZ folks ident...
- The Cobbler: In a world of indifferen ce and in the face of so many injustices , poverty, elementary rights denied, praying for peace in the world means reconcilin g ourselves in our daily relati...
- davidjmccormick: Father, Thanks for not being adverse to listening to Ann, and for the courage to share her thoughts. I follow her as well and find her reasoning nearly impenetrab le, as well as...
- Amante de los Manuales: “[Wr ong. Top to bottom.] 8221; Why do you say, Father? I am curious to know. I can think of a possible issue with the first two arguments. But it would be nice to...
- Kukla65th: One of the problems of discussing the very issues you brought up in your comment is that no matter what anyone or any institutio n says you will decide it’s about everything to do with...
- Andrew: Looking at all these pictures of ceilings it is easy to understand why the Romans called a ceiling a “lacunar”.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ROME DAY 17: Che Guevara, Baby Socks and Clam Sand
- URGENT BLOG SHUT DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE
- ROME DAY 16: Saints, Stamps and Sole Music
- First, FSSP presence and now @ChickfilA has opened its first UK restaurant
- VIDEO: Bp. Hying on St. Margaret Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- ACTION ITEM! COMPETED! Baptismal Font for Rome’s Traditional Parish
- You are all going to die. That’s not a threat, it’s a fact. Great AUDIO reflection on YOUR future.
- ROME DAY 15: Folders, Funky Tomatoes, and Foolish Altars
- #AmazonSynod through a lens from St John Henry Newman
- ASK FATHER: Is Francis an Antipope because Cardinals conspired and the conclave was invalid?
- Lutheran Satire educates
- Pagan Idols at the Amazon “walking together” Synod
- ROME DAY 13: A Suicide, a Life Hack, and an ALERT to Roman Seminarians
- You can’t make this stuff up: eRosary. Wherein an annoyed Fr. Z rants.
- 2016: Ecumenical Exchange Program with winged Mayan snake god Kukulkan
- PODCAzT 178: Fr. Weinandy and the possible “Internal Papal Schism”
- Bp. Schneider’s talk at the presentation of the book: Christus Vincit
- ROME DAY 12: Chapels Stupid and Stupendous, Important Book and Talks
- ROME DAY 11: Butchers, Roman Rosary, and an Odd Dessert
- ROME DAY 10: Conference, Requiem and Guts
- ASK FATHER: When could priests wear casual attire?
- ROME DAY 9: Campo, Clams and a Canonization Sonnet
- ASK FATHER: How to protest, perhaps in Rome?
- ASK FATHER: Cocktail advice for Our Lady of Victory
- ROME DAY 8: Bridges, Inscriptions, Cheeses
- Mass for Benefactors ,11 Oct, and Requiem
- “Supertradmum” (Marie Dean): R.I.P.
- ROME DAY 7: Weird Amazon Stuff, Death and a Spatula
- The Holy See: Goat Rodeo
- #AmazonSynod, optional celibacy, divorced and remarried priests, and Amoris Laetitia
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Look! Up in the sky!
On this date, 2 September 1859 your planet was struck by a massive solar storm which caused the Carrington Event. Read about it. A powerful solar wind struck the Earth. The “Northern Lights” were visible in the Caribbean. You could … Continue reading
Very cool video from a different perspective. We are used to observing the night sky from what we feel is a fixed point on Earth. But it isn’t fixed. We are constantly on the move. What if we could view … Continue reading
As if planet killing asteroids and civilization killing CMEs weren’t bad enough, now we get to think about… “killer electrons”. At SpaceWeather: A NEW SOURCE OF SPACE RADIATION: Astronauts are surrounded by danger: hard vacuum, solar flares, cosmic rays. Researchers from … Continue reading
Today is the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the Moon – 20 July 1969. As a little kid I spent my summers in Montana and Wyoming, riding and running like a swift browned animal. The … Continue reading
There was a rarish total solar eclipse on 2 July which terminated at the eastern coast of S. America (think Argentina… portentous!). Rarish because totality was viewed close to sunset, near to the horizon, producing some amazing views. A reader … Continue reading
This might have an effect on Ham Radio operation. Also, those of you in the north might watch for aurora borealis! From SpaceWeather: GEOMAGNETIC STORM UNDERWAY NOW: A surprise geomagnetic storm is underway on May 14th. Storm levels are currently at G2 (moderately … Continue reading
Meanwhile, I read this cheering bit of news at FNC: Huge ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid to pass near Earth in 2029 A 1,110-foot-wide asteroid named for the Egyptian god of chaos will fly past Earth in 2029 within the distance … Continue reading
Israel spacecraft Beresheet will attempt Moon landing today. Moon Landing expected to start at 3:05 p.m. EST (2005 GMT). UPDATE: A selfie from Beresheet… UPDATE: The lander did NOT safely land. UPDATE: We were using ZedNet during the landing process. … Continue reading
No, this is not a photo of the HQ of the Fishwrap, a place so dense that no light can escape it. Nor is it a pic of the Jesuits’ Generalate in Rome. This isn’t an artistic rendering of the … Continue reading
As you know, Beresheet is the Hebrew word for “In the beginning”. It also is the name of Israel’s unmanned moon-landing mission! The landing is scheduled for Thursday. Here is an ultra-cool video about how they are doing it without … Continue reading
This is from SpaceWeather…. very cool. I’ll bet this freaked out a lot of people… though there aren’t a lot of people up there. ___ ROCKETS DUMP CHEMICALS INTO NORTHERN LIGHTS: Last night (April 5th) in Norway, researchers at the Andøya … Continue reading
FINALLY! Long-time readers here will recall that I’ve written on occasion about the devastation that a large Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) would cause. A large enough EMP could take out much or all of the electrical grid that our lives have … Continue reading
While Ham Radio operators are vexed by the lack of spots on your planet’s yellow star, there is still activity. Frankly, having read recently 48 Hours by William Forstchen – US HERE – UK HERE – this sort of story makes me … Continue reading
How sad. Mars rover Opportunity seems to have come to the end of its mission. HERE Low batteries and a bad dust storm. That was it. A 3 month mission lasted almost 15 years.
One of the best titles ever… From SpaceWeather: TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH: In only a few days, newly-discovered Comet Iwamoto will split the orbits of Earth and Mars, making a relatively close approach to our planet visible through small telescopes. … Continue reading