Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Paul of St Paul: I was not aware of Catholic concerns about yoga until this post. If Father or readers could spare the time I would appreciate a short post on this subject, or a link to a longer...
- Sawyer: The praytellbl og has picked up on Cardinal Sarah̵ 7;s remarks too. Over there the readers 217; comments are overwhelmi ngly mocking him for his suggestion , saying that his Euchar...
- frjim4321: Well, it seems like it was still valid. I’ve yet to hear a cogent argument for how you can baptize females but not ordain them. [It’ s easy. Women are human beings but they...
- SenexCalvus: Hey, y’all! We’ll be celebratin g under-repr esented faith traditions in an ecumenical service at my faith community’ s worship center this Sun Day, and you’re invited! We’ll be...
- Grumpy Beggar: Thanks for this post. . . . Just when I thought I couldnR 17;t respect Cardinal Sarah any more than I already do , you found a way to make it happen. That “mor e respect...
- Sword40: ” [He seems to agree with a call that EWTN be “interdict ed” unless Raymond Arroyo is fired.] 221; And where is the “mer cy and forgivenes s and understand ing and toleran...
- Joy65: SO absolutely beautiful. Where could a smaller version of this statue be purchased? I would LOVE to give one to our Pastor.
- LeeGilbert: At our wonderful parish in Portland, we 1. Have a communion rail 2. Communion distribute d only by priests at that rail. ( How appropriat e that the priest in persona Christi distrib...
- clare joseph: If it’s true, this is extremely cool, and I’ll bet Our Lady loves it.
- Joy65: I would be MORE than happy to receive kneeling. I already receive on the tongue. Hopefully they will bring back the kneelers.
- jameeka: How very beautiful!
- tamranthor: When churches are remodeled and altar rails done away with, and Jesus is put in a closet somewhere, then the church building itself tends toward Protestant ism. The architectu re of...
- ejcmartin: Frankly I am surprised that “social justice” warriors like the Jesuits would stoop to such cultural approbatio n. (One Canadian university refused to offer yoga unless it was taught by...
- Ben Kenobi: When I went through my discernmen t I had to assess the question, “If my church were wrong about God and his mission, who is in the right?R 21; It was easy enough to do what so...
- APX: Little by little the thought may gradually prevail: “If even the parish priest does not pay attention to the fragments, if he administer s Communion in such a way that the fragments can be...
- hwriggles4: This reminds me (Yes, Really) of the time our 6th grade CCD class did meditation – it was the late 1970s. We closed our eyes and our instructor led us. As a kid, I didn’ ;t...
- David: Fr. Andrew: People aren’ ;t taking penalties about papal election laws very seriously these days, are they?
- David: Very, very interestin g to me this coming from Cardinal Sarah right after Cardinal MüllerR 17;s splendid remarks about the nature of the papacy. I sense the “bon i” are...
- tho: JARay, I accept your correction . What I was trying to say, in a rather clumsy way, was that allowing the so called spirit of VII to take over the church was very destructiv e.
- S D Molokai: Although not prohibited , I’ve been discourage d from receiving communion on the tongue while kneeling at my parish. Something about not showing unity with the other parishi...
- Sid Cundiff in NC: So good that someone in the upper church hierarchy is against in the hand. I’m not holding my breath for something to be done to stop in the hand.
- The ol catholic try: I think I have finally figured out why Jesuit “pov erty” ; goes a looooooooo oooong way. If they are fudging the numbers this badly then they are bound to tally some...
- rhhenry: Well, seeing as how they’ ;re already contorting themselves doctrinall y . . .
- Ave Maria: I think these truth tellers like Fathers Rutler and Murray need to watch their backs!
- Knight from 13904: I hope Raymond Arroyo covers this story on his show tonight. Ask Fr. Gerald Murray what the heck is going on in this diocese???
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Look! Up in the sky!
I’ve been watching the SpaceX launch of the Falcon Heavy rocket. They sent up Elon Musk’s personal Tesla Roadster. This booster can lift 64 metric tons (141,000 lbs), more than a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel. … Continue reading
This is from SpaceWeather:
BLUE MOON LUNAR ECLIPSE: On Wednesday, Jan. 31st, the second full Moon of January will pass through Earth’s shadow, producing a rare “Blue Moon Lunar Eclipse.” The Moon won’t look blue, however. Researchers are predicting a bright … Continue reading
I fairly dread papal trips these days. You never know what is going to happen on the papal airplane. Will there be another presser in which the Holy Father will say something like, “Who am I to judge?” That was … Continue reading
This is the Solstice day, for the Northern Hemisphere the day which provides us with the least daylight of the year.
From this point onward in your globe’s majestic arc about your yellow star, we of the north benefit from increasing warmth … Continue reading
Recently I re-watched the movie The Martian, which is also a novel. [US HERE – UK HERE I understand that the author has a new book out.] I find it inspiring.
We encounter challenges. We work the problems. We face our … Continue reading
At APOD I saw this amazing video and I can’t but share it.
Explanation: Where do hurricanes go? To better understand dangerous storms, NASA compiled data from several satellites into a supercomputer simulation of this past year’s hurricane season. Specifically, the featured … Continue reading
Are any of you reading stories about an event in Nigeria on 13 October 2017, the 100th anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun? Apparently the bishops of Nigeria consecrated Nigeria to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. After the Mass, the … Continue reading
ASTEROID TO BUZZ EARTH THIS WEEK: When the sun rose over Chelyabinsk, Russia, on Feb. 15, 2013, at first it seemed like an ordinary day. Then the space rock hit. Without warning, the morning sky lit up with a second sun … Continue reading
The old phrase forever to be associated with Superman, “Look! Up in the sky!” denotes wonder and curiosity about something unknown.
On 23 September we will look up in the sky and see something wondrous and curious.
All sorts of planets and … Continue reading
Please continue prayers for those in the path of the hurricanes.
The eye of Irma.
Explanation via APOTD:
Explanation: Why does a hurricane have an eye at its center? No one is yet sure. What happens in and around a hurricane’s eye is … Continue reading
Some of my friends in our SMS exchanges will at times long for the big meteor to put us out of our misery.
Today I read at Space.com that there is a big asteroid – hopefully not meteor – coming.
A space rock … Continue reading
MCI is a madhouse. Many people have some sort of eclipse commemorating shirt.
I was supposed to do a radio slot with Drew Mariani but in the chaos it didn’t work.
We had some clouds but mangaged to see some of the … Continue reading
It occurred to me that we might ask God for specialized help today.
Almighty eternal God, who by Thy Word created the cosmos and set in motion all that has being, should it be pleasing to Thee, for the sake of … Continue reading
The Atlantic is pretty much a joke. However, they take themselves seriously. This story seems… seems… not to be an intentional joke.
Read and be amazed. It exemplifies the Left. You can’t make this up.
From Daily Caller:
The Eclipse Is Racist … Continue reading
I’m on my way to the path of the much anticipated shadow of your planet’s largest satellite.
There is a lovely sight in the sky this morning directly in the East. The Moon has lots of Earthshine and Venus is … Continue reading
The Total Eclipse will occur over these USA on Monday.
The Eclipse will take place 54 days before the 100th anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima… the length of a 54 Day Novena.
Also, because a total eclipse can … Continue reading
Today is the Feast of St Lawrence of Rome, Deacon and Martyr. He was a serious hard-core saint in hard times.
This is also the time of year that your planet whirls through the debris left by the comet known as Swift-Tuttle. … Continue reading
I am thinking ahead to the total solar eclipse that will be visible across these USA in the next month.
I found a spiffy video at Astromony Pic of the Day. This is very cool.
Explanation: What are those lights and shadows crossing … Continue reading
I am giving strong consideration to the upcoming Total Solar Eclipse.
Plans are to be made.
A strong contender must be in Missouri, near to St. Joseph and to Gower, which the wonderful Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles are to be … Continue reading