Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- grateful: from WVC above: “but I often wonder if we don’t spend hours upon hours trying to understand something that doesn’t really have that much thought behind it. Given my personal exper...
- MichaelDowd: The Church needs to bring back Rogation days as means of living our spiritual lives and as a cultural reminder of our Catholic faith. Our faith dissipates without physical expression s...
- Grumpy Beggar: So, FWIW , my first observatio n would be that it is we humans who make idols – out of practicall y anything ; so why not the Truth as well ? Yes, certainly the Truth is...
- Emilio III: I don’ t remember seeing that painting before, and it would be hard to forget! Thanks for posting it. I have been praying to St George lately for one of the countries that claim...
- Kathleen10: Wonderful painting! St. George, please pray for Alfie Evans and his mother and father.
- Tom: Yet another tradition revived in the calendar of the ordinary form by way of the Personal Ordinariat es.
- Benedict Joseph: One is left amazed at how this pontificat e repeatedly characteri zes its critic with the judgement most appropriat ely applied to itself. It is as if a subject regards itself in a...
- The Masked Chicken: The Pope’ ;s idea is remarkable simple and clear, if poorly stated. It is, also, a partial truth (no pun intended), at best. May I suggest, at the same time, that he look...
- BJard: Sometimes Pope Francis 217;s comments leave me a bit concerned. As he is the successor to Peter, and for my own sanity, I choose to interpret what he says from a traditiona l Catho...
- LeeGilbert: Speaking of his experience in the seminary the Italian actor Roberto Benigni said, “Som e people know everything . . .but that’ ;s ALL they know.” Perhaps he fell under the...
- robtbrown: Jim123 The absence of a person from the truth risks making it a non-living truth — which in that sense is an idol. All truth participat es in God Who is the First Truth̵ 1;and is the...
- Semper Gumby: jaykay: Thanks for the article on musical happenings in Dublin. Got to get back there sometime. We took the ferry from Holyhead across to Dublin, and an hour or so after docking were...
- mo7: I am not educated in these matters. I can only speak Imho, he is talking about holding of the faith over those less knowledgea ble, not using it charitably , but in a prideful way. I’...
- iPadre: In the OF, I talked about Our Lord the Good Shepherd and how He told us there would be some bad shepherds. There are some today. We need to know the Catholic faith inside out. Every...
- Hans: Wait! You can get ice in Rome?!?
- ex seaxe: Sawyer points us to “Aqu inas’ propositio n that we cannot know what God is, only what God is not;” ;, quite so. There seem to be plenty of people about who do not underst...
- Alexander Verbum: I don’t know about Pope Francis, but Congar is a snake. “This sectarian tendency to maximize whatever is settled by authority slips into condemning all openness, research, and...
- rcg: When I first read this I noticed the Holy Father used the word “abstract” before Truth. This was the English translatio n, of course. Could that be the key to understand ing what he is trying...
- arga: It is possible that PF does not define “tru th” as you and I do. He may have adopted a postmodern understand ing of the word, in which “tru th” is always relative: We...
- JabbaPapa: Better he though than for example the Macron of France, in his unashamèd Masonic lecture to Congress as if his “tru th” were some manner of worshipful ness. Did you get his...
- JustaSinner: A good shepard never leads his flock astray, nor does he give conflicted commands.
- JabbaPapa: DeGaulle : Pope Francis is, at best, an unskilled communicat or. I agree.
- chantgirl: This sounds like an uncharitab le caricature of Catholics who really believe what Catholics are supposed to believe. “Thi s sectarian tendency to maximize whatever is settled by...
- Ave Maria: Jn 8:  Then Jesus said to those Jews, who believed him: If you continue in my word, you shall be my disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you...
- PTK_70: If you acknowledg e “bib liolatry 8221; as a thing, and a condemnabl e thing at that, then you probably understand His Holiness. In other words, what teachermom 24 said. How about...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 25 April – St. Mark and Major Rogation Day
- A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols”?
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Magisterium of Nuns
Over at Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) there is a project to help the Nuns on the Bus rename their hagiographical movie/documentary!
I can’t think of a better project for readers here. After all, we have done so little to help … Continue reading
One can understand that a person might be slightly deranged because of sorrow and grief, but this is an evil act.
This is the sort of thing that will occur more and more often.
Michigan woman sues U.S. Catholic bishops over miscarriage … Continue reading
My email box is under siege by people who want me to comment on the recently restored ancient Roman fresco that feminists and members of COW… no… the Women’s Ordination Conference… that’s WOC… claim as evidence for the ordination of … Continue reading
I saw this at CWN:
Curial official: over 3,000 religious leave consecrated life each year [Makes you wonder how many enter religious life. I’ll bet not 3k!]
The secretary of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life … Continue reading
His Holiness Pope Francis has again disappointed the proponents of female machismo everywhere.
At News.va read about his address to the Women’s Section of the Pontifical Council for the Laity on the 25th anniversary of Blessed Pope John Paul II’s Apostolic … Continue reading
One of the stranger groups of women religious who belong to the LCWR crowd are the Sinsinawa Domincans, whose motherhouse is in southern Wisconsin, in the Diocese of Madison.
You might review my post NUNS GONE WILD for a glimpse of … Continue reading
Here is your Sr. Margaret Farley update!
Yes, she managed to get back into the news. Go to the site of the Cardinal Newman Society, whose feed I am delighted to have on my side bar. Check it out.
And check this … Continue reading
I have mentioned a couple times that liberals and (this is just a subgroup) feminists (meaning LCWR types) will eventually turn on Pope Francis. HERE and HERE
You may recall that on 3 April, last, I wrote:
“Feminists and proponents of women’s … Continue reading
A while back I opined (HERE) about the LCWR assembly speakers:
How do we explain the antics of the LCWR nuns?
I have the impression that – and mothers can correct me about the right age for this sort of thing – … Continue reading