HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- roma247: @BrionyB and others: I agree that this is an insult at worst to our tradition and reverence, and ignorant at best. But it should be pointed out that even the Orthodox (and Eastern Cathol...
- Andreas: I know what you mean, byzantines teve. To stem such similar urges, I try as a rule to ignore such vulgarians . Still, when I feel the need to respond in a less-than- civilized manner, I...
- Legisperitus: That prayer is so beautiful in Latin that it’s a shame it doesn̵ 7;t get to see more use in that form.
- carndt: Again, thank you for this explanatio n. It was so moving that my soul leaped for joy. How we in the pews sit waiting to hear these words from the priests. Your words are a refreshing oasis...
- BrionyB: I don’t think it’s particular ly relevant that Eastern rite churches have standing instead of kneeling. As I understand , that’s their tradition and custom (and of course there is nothing...
- KateD: *as they destroy families
- KateD: The braceos program started in 1942 to address the issue of bringing in the crops when American boys were fighting WWII. At that time the Catholic bishops were solidly against these immigr...
- byzantinesteve: I assume you travel in your clerical which would be a deterrent from saying what you might *want* to say. I can tell you, however, I would not have gotten to the first letter of...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks for the Latin lesson Fr. Z, and the virtue/val ue distinctio ns made by Gertrude Himmelfarb , St. John Paul II, and Benedict XVI.
- Semper Gumby: Have a blessed stay in Rome Fr. Z. Too bad that angry passenger didn’ ;t understand that you’ re a benevolent member of the patriarchy , and that in fact your vocation is...
- bibi1003: Ellen, I’ve seen it in two different parishes in the Diocese of Louisville as well and I was shocked both times. It felt like sacrilege. I mentioned it to my brother and he said it...
- UncleBlobb: God bless you, Father Z. I can’ t conceive of the amount of virtue it takes to endure “air port world̶ 1; as I like to call it as much as you have over the years. Enjoy...
- SanSan: Have a safe flight dear Father and a wonderful time in Rome!
- John21: This helped a lot. God’s will is so specific, whether it’s willing that I say thank you to a waiter or willing that this particular trial of slime left by a snail be x inches long and wide....
- grateful: Father, I hope you submit this to the appropriat e magazines so that those who are not a part of this blog can enjoy it too. Thank you for this.
- pbnelson: Here’ ;s a link to the mathematic al analysis upon which Anthony Esolen based his essay: https://ww w.seattlec atholic.co m/article_ 20040119.h tml And here’ ;s a link to the...
- Akita: Dear Luminis, Father drove home, it’s “Ass. of Catholic Priests”. not Assoc. Let’s stick with Father’s guidance.
- Kathleen10: Those are fantastic. I wish I had some technologi cal savvy. This all looks fun and has a practical applicatio n as well.
- robtbrown: He’s also a really good kicker.
- Johann: The Irish born Franciscan s here in South Africa would be appalled to hear their so called brothers have sunk this low, acting like spoilt children.
- SKAY: Hidden One said: “She , too, possesses the dignity inherent in all human beings and is deserving of respect. 8221; She deserves as much dignity and respect as she gives the innoc...
- Uxixu: Having acquired a 1948 Missale Romanum and a 1939 Dominican Rite Missal (Missale S. Ordinis Predicator um), I watched how the fixed commemorat ions would go through the end of Lent and...
- Gab: Thank you, Father, for that beautifull y written explanatio n.
- Gab: Another trip?! I can’ t handle the stress! Stay away from motorbikes and cars … and planes … + Saint Raphael the Archangel, thou wast a faithful companion to the young man,...
- DeGaulle: The media only provide coverage of these kinds of priest. Orthodox priests going about their daily business are regarded as non-person s unless a salacious allegation against them emerg...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: All Roads Edition
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Easter (1962MR): The smoke of Satan
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Easter: The prayer’s very word order reveals God’s love
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: QSL Cards and some firsts
- VIDEO: Diaconate Ordination of the the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter @CSPOrd
- Donations, PayPal, alternatives, and you
- Irish Ass. of Catholic Priests in toddler meltdown mode against Francis over no women deacons
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Thursday: ZedNet, my first pile up, and remote from GITMO and… Vatican City?
- GERMANY: Pro-women’s ordination group: “We want to take Mary off her pedestal”
- What’s up at the southern border of these USA
- Lib liturgy positivists force people to stand after Communion
- Student ‘steals’ pro-life sign on camera, gets arrested, but she’s the victim!
- Benedict XVI’s recent essay is a subtle correction of Amoris laetitia ch. 8
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- NEW BOOK from Martin Mosebach – Subversive Catholicism: Papacy, Liturgy, Church
- ASK FATHER: The TLM’s Orationes Diversae and Oratio Imperata
- Historic chasuble rediviva
- MULTIPLE CMEs ARE COMING – GEOMAGNETIC STORM UNDERWAY NOW
- The shortage of priests didn’t just happen by itself, it was engineered.
- 14 May – St. Paul, MN: Argument of the Month – SSPX
- Day 8-11 – NS Guantanamo Bay: Homeward, delayed and GITMO colors
- “Don’t bite the priest!”
- ASK FATHER: Lutheran service more reverent than the Sunday Mass
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: Can lay people assist with sprinkling rite and give homily?
- “Meno chiacchiere… più processioni! … Less chattering … more processions!”
- What priests – and you too – will have to deal with
- ASK FATHER: My mind goes blank just before confession
- “Tactical Rabbi”. Why not “Tactical Priests”? “Tactical Bishops”?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Category Archives: Mail from priests
From a reader… A woman was told by her priest to NOT wear her veil to Mass. It was blessed and so she didn’t know if she was required by obedience to not wear it, or since because it was … Continue reading
Please rush over to the UK’s best Catholic weekly and read the great article by my friend Fr. Alexander Sherbrooke, of St Patrick’s at Soho Square in London. HERE Fr. Sherbrooke is a priest’s priest, who has done amazing things … Continue reading
From the site of the Tridentine Mass Society of the Diocese of Madison: On Friday, June 29, His Excellency the Most Rev. Robert Morlino [The Extraordinary Ordinary] will be ordaining three seminarians of the diocese to the Holy Order of … Continue reading
There is an amusing piece at Fishwrap by the strongly biased liberal Peter Feuerherd about a parish in Detroit which has been given over to the formation of new Oratory. Oratories are popping up all over, probably as an unconscious … Continue reading
This is the season of First Holy Masses. For example, on Saturday 30 June, I will be helping as Assistant Priest with the First Mass of a newly ordained priest to be celebrated in the presence of the bishop (coram … Continue reading
UPDATE: HUGE UPDATE HERE UPDATE: Everyone in the Chicago area… You would not make a mistake were you to choose to go to Mass at St. John Cantius on Sunday. ——- You remember the controversy that surrounded Fr. Frank Phillips … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald there are lots of great photos of the recent priestly ordination of a young man in the FSSP at Warrington in England by Archbishop Malcolm McMahon of Liverpool. Really… the photos are … Continue reading
A few bishops have blogs. A few blogs of bishops are worth looking at. Here is a blog post on a bishop’s blog which every bishop should read. Most Rev. Thomas E. Gullickson is the Papal Nuncio in Switzerland. … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly the Catholic Herald comes a commentary on the Met “Gay-la”. Yes, we are still talking about that horrid blotch on the Church’s reputation, lest we forget. My emphases and comments: Pastor Iuventus: ?In today’s Church, … Continue reading
I now have quite a few emails in my box about the fashion “gala”… “gay-la”?… in NYC inspired by ecclesiastical dress of all kind, aided and abetted by “the Vatican”. It was a night that would have made any Jesuit … Continue reading
I’ve had lot of email about the recent annual “Correspondents Dinner” in the nation’s swamp. Hence, I had to look at a few video clips of “roasting” which proves that “liberal comedian” is a contradiction in terms. What struck … Continue reading
There are entirely understandable reasons why not every church can be grand and beautiful. For example, sometimes a church is needed quickly and the means are slim. In many cases, however, a little creativity and a touch more patience – … Continue reading
From a priestly reader… QUAERITUR: I am a parish priest who often does an Ad Orientem Novus Ordo Mass. I was approached by a family asking for a baptism using the Extraordinary Form. I am happy to do so, given the evident … Continue reading
I was made aware of this by a reader. I happily endorse one idea one priest had while I entirely repudiate a bad old cliché from another. Castleton symbol of Lent: sand in holy water fonts Alas, the silly season … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I’m a priest who occasionally gets asked to hear confessions in a jail where the only way to speak to a person is through glass and a telephone headset. Without using the phone, one can barely hear the other … Continue reading