Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: If religious education volunteers and paid staffers are required to attend, they would probably fall asleep during several sessions. If this were me, I would read Daniel Mattson...
- Amy McSween: Where is the Cross? Where is our Lord?
- Amy McSween: A child has a right, in normal circumstan ces, to his or her mother. Jennifer Roeback Morse has devise excellent rhetorical counterpoi nts to the usual “don ’t judge...
- WmHesch: Under the old rules, New scapulars did not need to be blessed (with the sole exception of the Trinidaria n until Leo XIII). This is because it’s the ENROLLMENT that carries over from one...
- Michael: This company from Michigan makes excellent Scapulars that are both strong and long-lasti ng. Plus, proceeds go towards the formation of religious. The scapular comes with the rite of...
- ChesterFrank: When initiated into the brown scapular in grade school, I recall getting one of plastic with inserts for paper cards. Are the real ones really that much more expensive? Handing out...
- IRATVS MAXIMVS: Here’ ;s what I do when, for instance, I have to stay up late or travel on fridays and eating meat at 00:01 feels hypocritic al: I fast from the time I wake up on (local)...
- majuscule: Some years ago I bought one from the person mentioned by Cicero_NOL A. They are a hand embroidere d work of art. If you are looking for a “hair shirt” effect, one of these would not be...
- ChesterFrank: Does this classify as a satanic ritual? [Not in a formal sense. But I cannot help but think that demons revel in this. Remember: demons can attach themselves to those who commit...
- Dan: The first sign that this was going to go south were the giant projection screens at the front of the parish. I didn’ ;t even have to click the link to the bulletin to know they called...
- aquinasadmirer: This post only prompts follow-up questions, and alas no answers.. What would happen if either Abp Hebda or Cozzens would regularly concelebra te Mass there for a year? Perhaps...
- Georgemartyrfan: The bulletin also mentions gluten-fre e Communion is available. Valid? [So long as there is a tiny amount, even very very small, the matter would be valid. Of course who knows what...
- Mark: I feel sorry for the child. He’s an innocent victim in all this. I will pray for him, and for his “dads”, that they may come to know the love of Christ and His truth.
- Jacob: Father Z, what do you think of the new, abbreviate d rite for initiating someone into the Brown Scapular? I have been wanting to start to wear one for awhile, but am hesitant due to questi...
- rwj: To any bishops and chancery staff: please never think you can overlook this stuff when it first reported. Act decisively and quickly. The longer it goes on the bigger monster you have. Now...
- Amy McSween: Seriously though, Some of us reside in Parishes where the priest would look upon the scapular as voodoo. I do… I was lucky, I was enrolled at my first communion. I ask my child...
- deaconjohn1987: Autom.com has a variety of Scapulars like this one: https://ww w.autom.co m/product/ brown-wool -scapular- 12-pk-VC12 0 Btw, I wear a Brown Scapular, never take it off even in the...
- OrdinaryCatholic: Ever since the first abuse stories began to surface in the ’80s and until only recently I have always wondered why the majority of bishops/pr iests never called a spade a...
- Christ-Bearer: There is the opposite possibilit y of course. We once flew from Rome to the US West Coast *on Good Friday*. It was about a 36-hr day for us. No one complained about fasting from...
- Cicero_NOLA: Friends of mine attest to these scapulars, as well: https://ww w.etsy.com /shop/Stel laMarigold Art
- William: I think we need to get more modern on our indulgence s and penances. A partial indulgence shall be gained by praying for the safety of travelers while on a flight to Australia from Europe...
- SKAY: I agree Gab. I think that Archbishop Vigano has done exactly the right thing. A private letter would do nothing. These guilty men have done untold damage to the Church, their victims and the...
- Sonshine135: From what I could see of the crowd in the video, there wasn’ ;t a person under the age of 70. This stuff is in its death throes thank the Lord. Pantheism at its finest. These are...
- FN: I will pray for all these intentions . I can gratefully report that my father-in- law, who has advanced lung cancer, has stunned the doctors since you all began praying for him! He is health...
- SPWang: I hope they don’ t have any turbulence … https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=B5Q3VtJQ zVg
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Mail from priests
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I’m a priest who occasionally gets asked to hear confessions in a jail where the only way to speak to a person is through glass and a telephone headset. Without using the phone, one can barely hear the other … Continue reading
Okay… I’ll give this a boost. From my email… I am the editor of the Missive (https://fssp.com/the-missive), the official blog of the North American District of the FSSP. We are trying to expand our readership, and I was wondering if … Continue reading
At Catholic World Report, we find an address Fr. Peter Stravinskas recently gave to a chapter of Legatus about liturgical issues. He breaks down, Barney style, some super important issues which, today, are controversial. Inter alia he: strongly endorses Robert Card. … Continue reading
As the poet said, “Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!” I get lots of books from publishers. They are nearly all, I am sure, sound, since the publishers are sound. I … Continue reading
Some feedback from a priest, reacting to my post: ASK FATHER: Mass without proper gear? Pusillanimous stingy ignorant pride. I am writing simply to share with you my reaction to the four videos you posted showing Masses offered in difficult (to … Continue reading
This, from a priest friend, is too good not to share. Apparently Father had had enough with the nuptial confetti.
From a priest: I have a multiple child Baptism coming up. My question is if one priest can supply all the various ceremonies and multiple priests celebrate the Baptism proper for the various children in the older Rituale? Hmmm… no, … Continue reading
Last Saturday, 3 March, we had a Requiem Mass for in the intention of the late Fr. Alfred Kunz. It was the 20th anniversary of his murder. His body was found on 4 March 1998, though he was probably killed … Continue reading
UPDATE: Since I posted this a short while ago, I saw at First Things a commentary by Gerhard Ludwig Card. Müller (third in a series) precisely touching on the issues raised by Card. Cupich in England. This is obviously Müller’s response. Here … Continue reading
I just received an email from a priest who informed me that today is the 200th anniversary of the day that St. John Vianney, arrived at his parish in Ars and began his work as a pastor with the care … Continue reading
The Enemy of the soul, the Devil, is a real, personal, fallen angelic being. He and all the powers of hell, fallen angels of every grade in the hierarchy, hate you. They work tirelessly to move you away from God … Continue reading
A remarkable vocation story. Fr. James Mawdsley, FSSP. For years I’ve written about how learning and celebrating the traditional form of Mass forms a priest. This priest touches on this transformative experience. (He mentions that blogs played a role. I … Continue reading
I’ll batten the hatches for another round of hate mail and “block parties” and alert the readership of a good piece at The Catholic Thing by Fr. Jerry Pokorsky. He tackles the “gay” (I hate that word) priest problem. Confronting the Gay … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: One of our wonderful [traditional order/institute] priests this Sunday mentioned – prior to his sermon – that he was surprised that so many of us were not correctly following the ritual of Confession. He said that … Continue reading
How many times in these electronic pages have I lamented the blatant disobedience in regard to can. 249? I remind the readership, especially those readers who are diocesan bishops, that the Code of Canon Law, can. 249, requires – it doesn’t … Continue reading