Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, Chief Spokesman the Islamic State, 2014 In James Wesley Rawles, Land of Promise (Counter-Caliphate Chronicles Series Book 1)
- "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003 and HERE
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Interesting new movie…
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- LarryW2LJ said Got home from work late, so I 86’ed the plan...
- Sandy said I certainly do remember the moment I heard the new...
- Grateful to be Catholic said I also miss “Remember, Man, that thou art du...
- Kerry said Ahem, (Barry Sotero), can you take a hint?
- papaefidelis said My best friend, who is a learned and faithful prie...
- lairdangusmcangus said Wow–I was unfamiliar with the story of Aaron...
- Iacobus M said Thanks for the ablative absolute, Fr.
- Weetabix said Breakfast: a latte (I figure the extra milk made i...
- Nathan said The Archbishop Sheen quote was priceless. Perhaps...
- PostCatholic said It does seem odd to me that “Lobster Thermid...
- PhilipNeri said Short and to the point. . . http://hancaquam.blogs...
- Moro said Not last night, but years ago I heard one of the b...
- Thorfinn said Wearing the ashes through the afternoon at work pr...
- Suburbanbanshee said Prayer, fasting, almsgiving. Almsgiving means givi...
- Grumpy Beggar said The online etymology dictionary pegs the word musk...
- Imrahil said A grumpy comment to what the dear Grumpy Beggar wr...
- New Sister said Our pastor recommend we read the Passion narrative...
- Gerard Plourde said acardinal – Agreed that the Black Book, as w...
- CPT TOM said Went to a smaller parish than our home parish̷...
- KAS said Tuesday there was a LOT of talk on Facebook about...
- CPT TOM said My children received ashes from infants on up̷...
- acardnal said Gerard Plourde, I am familiar with those booklets...
- Muv said Seeing ashes on a child’s forehead is a very...
- Giuseppe said Padre, no offense meant re. “PTA Catholics &...
- mpolo said I did two cups of coffee at breakfast, then lots a...
- mpolo said I did two cups of coffee at breakfast, then lots a...
- Mariana2 said Muskrat is bisam in Swedish, and bisam pelts smell...
- KateD said Today Obama is pushing for doctors to find a way t...
- KateD said a catechist, I’ve had similar experiences,...
- andia said I went to Mass after work, got Ashes, chose the pa...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Some current reading…
Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 11 February 2013: Benedict XVI announced abdication
- Your Ash Wednesday Sermon Notes
- LENTCAzT 02: Thursday after Ash Wednesday
- LENTCAzT 01: Ash Wednesday
- ASK FATHER: Young children receiving ashes on #AshWednesday
- POLL: #AshWednesday Ashes and You
- MADISON, WI – #AshWednesday – TLM 6:30 PM
- ASK FATHER: Lent, #AshWednesday and the ol’ aligator on Friday question!
- Remember! #AshWednesday Fast and abstinence! What’s your plan?
- Wyoming Catholic College has a cool new thing…
- Procession in Rome with the bodies of Sts. Padre Pio and Leopold Mandi?
- LENTCAzT 00: Shrove Tuesday
- Super Bowl Doritos commercial annoyed big-business abortion NARAL!
- Card. Onaiyekan on the proper disposition to receive Holy Communion
- “What a bore clergy find the ‘Hymn to Love’ in I Corinthians 13…”
- 8 Feb: St. Josephine Bakhita
- 7 Feb: Bl. Pius IX, Pope
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTRPS: Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for battle!
- WDTPRS: 5th Ordinary Sunday – A clear and certain trumpet
- Wherein Fr. Z promotes monkish beer! – UPDATE
- Making it illegal to differentiate between male and female
- Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion may be complete
- LIBS! University level liturgy course for YOU! BIG PUPPETS!
- ASK FATHER: St. Blaise Blessing from a laywoman
- 3 Feb: St. Blaise and the blessing of candles and of throats
- Tabernacle by Tabernacle
- Candle by Candle in NY
- Fr. Rutler on Card. Kasper and the Germans: “Modernists are people who do not believe what they believe.”
- Jill Stanek’s house vandalized by pro-aborts. She’s not about to quit.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Category Archives: “But Father! But Father!”
From The Catholic Thing. My emphases and comments. Fidelity – to Spouses and Christ’s Words By Fr. Gerald Murray [A good friend… Fr. Murray, J.C.D., is pastor of Holy Family Church, New York, NY, and a canon lawyer.] [QUAERITUR…] Is the … Continue reading
From a reader… Quaeritur: Father usually has 10-15 people waiting in his line for Holy Communion while there is no one left for the two EMHCs to do but stand and wait. The priest then waves away (nicely) those waiting to receive … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard at Sunday Mass? Let us know. Today I mentioned, inter alia, the spiritual works of mercy. Most of you know them by heart, of course, but perhaps there are some … Continue reading
From a reader: My __ year old father and his woman friend would like to get married but not go through the government with a marriage lisence. Are there any patriotic priests who would help them? I found protestant pastors but as … Continue reading
I saw something helpful at New Liturgical Movement. Someone posted a printable image of the Noveritis (“Let y’all know”) in Gregorian chant notation for the singing of the liturgical dates for 2014 which takes place at Epiphany after the Gospel. They … Continue reading
From CNSNEWS… I am posting this here because you won’t see it at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap). Hey! We are still in the Octave of Christmas! My emphases and comments: Bishop: Pope ‘Shocked’ By Gay Adoption, ‘Encouraged Me … Continue reading
My email box is under siege by people who want me to comment on the recently restored ancient Roman fresco that feminists and members of COW… no… the Women’s Ordination Conference… that’s WOC… claim as evidence for the ordination of … Continue reading
I have written “Be The Maquis!” a few times. Why? Right now liberals – who misread Pope Francis and shamelessly instrumentalize him – are emboldened. They sense that they have the big mo, and, given the help they receive from … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Can’t attend Sunday Mass. Wherein Fr. Z gives a long, convoluted answer with lots of history and some Latin.
From a reader: I am currently in attendance at a law enforcement academy in order to become certified as a State Trooper. It runs until January of next year, is a live-in facility, and is structured in a very paramilitary … Continue reading
I am scratching my head this morning. Pope Francis has moved the former Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“, who was eventually consecrated bishop and became the Papal Almoner, back to the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“… as Secretary… again. … Continue reading