Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- e.e.: St. Michael the archangel, defend us. …If Card. Wuerl has now backed out of attending, perhaps we can continue to pray that certain other attendees might withdraw and the vestme...
- bartlep: I’m still waiting to see a letter written by my bishop, Bp. McElroy. Since he totally ignored a letter written to him by A.W. Snipe on the state of priestly celibacy, he may be...
- Benedict Joseph: Like I said the other day about something else… ;stuck on stupid. The rich tradition of centuries of liturgical vestments and they come up with this crap. And that is what is....
- maternalView: Whatever it means the vestments are ugly. Why can’ t we have the beautiful? Why don’ t “the y” want us to have the it? I want the good, the true and the...
- Wendy Babiak: No, Satan̵ 7;s not hiding his tail… ;he’ s wearing assless chaps! This is all quite gross. I confess that in my heart of hearts sometimes I thank God that we were...
- PostCatholic: I thought as I began to read this article that the objection was going to be to a pre-Christ ian symbol being used for a Christian purpose. I’ve never seen a BDSM flag a-wav...
- maternalView: @mulieribu s Yes, Catholic weddings have become so very complicate d. And it used to be I could easily determine if I could go based on the venue̵ 1; not in a Catholic church then...
- joekstl: I would suggest that you seek out the letter of Bishop Frank Caggiano of Albany ( a son of Brooklyn, NY- my home Diocese). It is excellent and closes with s prayer to the great Mother of...
- Gab: It still looks like “666 ” to me.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More: Hi Father, Thank you for this very brave post. You are quite right about this. One point that adds to what you say is made by this FSSP priest in his sermon (31 mins):...
- Fallibilissimo: I don’ t know about you guys but after the roller-coa ster of emotions of the past few weeks, I feel like a fresh yet ancient wind is blowing on our shores. Yes, I have no...
- Joy65: What the HECK is going on IS that satan is laughing his head off. he doesn̵ 7;t even have to work hard because we are just letting him walk right in and take over. WHO IN THEIR “...
- Charlotte Allen: I can’ t stand those insipid pastels myselfR 11;but actually, the triple spiral, called the “tri skele̶ 1; or “tri skelion 221;– ;is a pagan...
- Chuck Ludd: While I agree that the vestments are hideous, when I first saw the symbol I assumed it was trinitaria n — but a bad modern symbol of the Trinity. The article posted above sugge...
- Suburbanbanshee: The triskelion , triple spiral, etc. are tied together at the center, and often at the rim of the circle also. This creates a feeling of stability. It is also very satisfying to...
- Kathleen10: I agree, it definitely resembles that diabolical flag. I also agree, the devil cannot hide his horns. We saw that at Joseph Sciambra 8217;s site, with the Quest conference highlig...
- LeeGilbert: From the Irish Examiner article Charles Flynn links above, “The papal vestment has a triple Celtic spiral that is associated with Irish ancient manuscript s while some 70 bisho...
- JustaSinner: What the Hell is going on? No, more to the point, who is going TO hell!!!
- Crabbetrywe: BDSM and pastels? …I don’ t think those things are related. The US Department of Transporta tion uses this motif too, and so did the 27th SS Volunteer Division. Coincid...
- magister63: It could be a take on that BDSM logo. My first thought, pardon my frankness, was three sperm cells swirling, in diverse colors, to symbolize who know what! If it symbolizes three males...
- acardnal: Love, love, love. This is what we hear from the libs. God does NOT love sin! It is the worst evil. God is full of mercy – conditiona l mercy – but he is also a just God. I...
- maternalView: Thanks for this. I don’ t know about these sorts of things so it’s helpful to be told what I should be asking. I will write a letter requesting this. And pray it will be...
- r7blue1pink: I dont even know what to say except.. NOTHING is a coincidenc e… Whether or NOT the parties designing it knew what it was- if they actually did it out of neitivity. . Its defin...
- majuscule: In a previous blogpost Father also asked about “what’s going on?” http://wdt prs.com/bl og/2018/08 /super-cre epy-poster -for-gay-c onference- reveals-ag enda/ It’s the same thing. Why...
- sperisho: Or, rather, emanate from a single center (which this one doesn̵ 7;t do).
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
- Super creepy poster for “gay” conference reveals agenda
- Controversy over the Holy Father’s substitution of CCC 2267 continues.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Fr. Z’s Kitchen
The other day I posted an image of Carracci’s painting of the “Mangiafagioli … The Bean Eater” and in another post I clarified a term used in a don Camillo story, “mangiapreti… priest eater” (a really anti-clerical person).
I determined that … Continue reading
I’ve been “taking a course” about the French Revolution and Napoleon. I went through the Battle of Marengo, and found that there is a dish associated. Well, I knew it, but I remembered it. I have never made it, so … Continue reading
Each year when the Feast of St Mary Magdalene comes around, I remember certain people, and not just those named Magdalene.
I remember, for example, a certain priest and his mother.
On a hot Roman summer evening in 1989, on the feast … Continue reading
Summer notwithstanding, I have had a hankering for something Roman that I haven’t had for a while.
In Italian, chiodi … “nails” are cloves… but indifferent cloves. They could be cloves of garlic (which are spicchi). However chiodi di garofano are … Continue reading
The other day I wrote about the connection of the Feast of St. John the Baptist and SNAILS! Romans eat snails on this great feast and so should you.
And so did I.
A few of you sent some donations for my … Continue reading
Thanks for “snail money” as JP called it, and to: GG
Your planet once again is whirling its way towards your solstices, Summer in the North and Winter in the South. Since the emphasis in Western Civilization has been northern, I’ll … Continue reading
It has been awhile since I’ve cooked something interesting for myself. After my trip a few months ago which included Sicily, I’ve had a hankering for Pasta alla Norma. Today I saw that my DVR had picked up the Met’s … Continue reading
Each time tweet attention hungry Massimo “Beans” Faggioli encounters a traditional or faithful person, position, or has a set back, he gets a little sour. He can’t really help it. He is angling for elevation as a cadre in the … Continue reading
Most of my meals are accomplished alone. As a result, I don’t always make food that is complex. I do, however, sincerely enjoy making a larger meal for guests and consuming it in a leisurely way.
I have friends in town … Continue reading
Sometimes I have written of the joys of garum.
The ancient Romans loved to slather their foods, and add as a cooking ingredient, wondrous garum. Garum is a fermented fish sauce, highly attested in ancient literature, the preparation of which is … Continue reading
UPDATE 17 July 2017:
Some of you are writing to me to ask for CCW cards. I’m not the guy. However, I passed the word to Fr. Heilman, who responded:
They’ll be available at romancatholicgear.com within the week. They must possess a “Combat Rosary” … Continue reading
I was pleased to have had a guest priest come to town to help with our Sacred Triduum in the Extraordinary Form. His presence allowed us to have a Solemn Triduum. It also allowed me to brush off my cooking utensils. … Continue reading
The jeep carrying Fidel Castro’s ashed today – wait for it – broke down and had to be pushed. HERE
In case you didn’t know…
HOW TO MAKE A CUBA LIBRE (or How to Make Cuba Free)
Long spoon or stir stick
2 … Continue reading
I am in Chicago. More exactly, I am in Park Ridge, the city where the worst of the presidential candidates grew up! I will be here tonight and will watch the first presidential debate with friends.
There will be cooking. There … Continue reading