Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- maternalView: Fr. Kalchik is an abuse survivor. Surely the Cardinal could show a little more mercy and accompanim ent than that! So the takeaway is the Cardinal ISN’ T on the side of abuse...
- Rob83: Sometimes there is a palpable sense that something is not right. I had that experience in Rome one night many years ago. A man approached , grasped the cup I was holding, said a few words I...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Being put in a mental institutio n was a routine punishment in the Soviet Union.
- hwriggles4: I am one guy who is growing tired of “the making gay OK agenda. ” That said, I for one am going to be on the lookout for Male same sex couples (no, not roommates –...
- Bthompson: Not as novel as you might think. Psych evaluation /treatment and the threat thereof are a moderately common kudgel wielded against seminarian s, priests, religious. (Now, not all such...
- ArthurH: If this psych action is in any way true, this whole affair becomes yet another surreal Orwellian momentR 11; a nightmare from which we seem unable to awaken. It seems the stuff of a bad...
- MrsMacD: @Fr Sean Coyle THAT story has been a real joy. Thank you for that! Chuckle. Chuckle. Thank you!
- MrsMacD: but they don’ t have time to deal with the ‘sod oclericali sm’ in the Church, because there is plastic in the ocean̷ 0; right. Sounds like gas-lighti ng to me.
- Fr. Reader: @MrsMacD. Thanks for the message. I hope it is not as bad as many people say.
- MrsMacD: @Fr. Reader I can not understand how you can defend something so obviously evil. We can not have the Communist government in China choose even one bishop. Their law is government first; a...
- KateD: Bishop Bartosic also evicted the resident priest unlawfully ? I can’ t imagine that Chicago would allow that under their landlord-t enant laws. Sounds like he has also, unfortunat ely...
- Fr. Reader: In spite of what I wrote above, I also share the fears expressed by many in their comments.
- Fr. Reader: @what did the Vatican obtain? Among other things, not to obligue many catholics, priests and laypeople to keep their conscience s in a perpetual and very difficult equilibriu m. Many...
- richdel: If the provenance of the documents related to this synod are anything like that of the documents associated with the synod on the family, I am hoping and praying that bishops are going to...
- KateD: Seems to me Father Paul Kalchick is neither a threat to himself nor others, therefore he cannot be forcefully detained in a mental institutio n. Priest or not, Father Kalchick 8217;s...
- JesusFreak84: defenderof Truth, we sadly already know the answer to THAT question 8230;
- JesusFreak84: 1P5 says the priest is actually in hiding now: https://on epeterfive .com/chica go-priest- who-burned -gay-flag- flees-afte r-archdioc ese-threat ens-forcib le-removal /
- Joe in Canada: Regarding reclaiming the rainbow – when I see the rainbow painted on crosswalks , if possible I congratula te the municipali ty for commemorat ing the covenant God made with...
- Sawyer: Chaput is a wise and holy archbishop . He knows he’l l never get the red hat from Francis. Maybe this is his way of saying, “Scr ew it.” The bishops are slowly divid...
- Sword40: And so the persecutio n begins. We must pray and persevere and then pray some more.
- Dismas: Even if my thoughts on this matter were totally and verifiably correct, I believe that it would be a sin for me to express them.
- acardnal: I ordered 200 each “Mar y, Queen of the ClergyR 21; prayer cards and will be making them available at Mass for free!
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Imagine if the English King Henry VIII, having persuaded Parliament to pass the Act of Supremacy whereby the king should be “tak en, accepted and reputed the only...
- defenderofTruth: I wonder if the middle and final documents have also been written 230;
- Bthompson: Having failed to make women into priests, they have decided to make priests into women.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: The Feeder Feed
That shot just about sums up preparation for the transfer to a new statio.
And here’s a statio on the way to the statio. A nice outdoor lunch.
With hedges of blooming jasmine.
And even artichokes.
Homemade pasta and eggplant and caccioricotta.
Some … Continue reading
If I am of an early morning out and about, my standard “large” Roman breakfast…
Things you see when walking about.
Lovely little neighborhood Marian shrines. People take care of them.
I really enjoy the old “don’t be a litter bug” signs from … Continue reading
I’ve been struggling with moving photos around and with wifi, so posting is a little tricky at the moment.
Anyway, some shots.
A wide angle view of our lunch spot from yesterday.
I had rabbit for my second, but here’s my first. Chestnut … Continue reading
I am in New York for a few days as the guest of a member of the Constantian Order of St George for their investiture, to see an opera, and have some R&R in the galleries of the Met. I’ll … Continue reading
Day 2 was marvelous. It was sunny and not too hot, with a good breeze
I went back to the Met and throughly explored the John Singer Sargent exhibit. Th day before I had walked through quickly, tailing a curator (curatrix) … Continue reading
Long time readers here have seen my shots of Christological Goldfinches from Medieval and Renaissance paintings and statues snapped during my museum visits.
Here is a detail from one I shot in the Louvre a while back by the Master of the … Continue reading
This morning took me to the Chicago Art Institute. I was especially keep to see some Impressionists, but I started in chronological order in European paintings.
This is interesting. Here is something by Matteo di Giovanni (+1495), part of a series … Continue reading
Thus begins my last full day on the road.
Yesterday we were at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Here is a nice little Sienese Madonna and Child by a favorite of mine, Sano di Pietro (+1481). I’m thinking his workshop did … Continue reading
I am just hanging out without controversy swamp fever. Sometimes I just need to breathe.
Coffee at Sant’Eustachio with some folks who wanted to go. I stepped outside to let them finish and ran into Card. Zen. … Continue reading
I’m enjoying some time at The Cloisters with a friend.
In honor of a priest who has disparaged my posts about birds, I add this edition.
Behold a priests chasuble from Venice of the late 15th to early 16th century.
A detail from … Continue reading
I have written of owls before. I once shared a winter encounter I had with a Great Gray, seared into my mind’s eye. I also shared photos of the old “Owl Room”, the guest room, at the legendary Sabine Farm … Continue reading
I am in Detroit! I just finished giving talks on sacred art at the Detroit Institute of Arts, a great museum.
Now that I can visit a gallery, I noticed a splendid Christological Goldfinch!
Here is a painting by Benozzo Gozzoli from … Continue reading
A reader sent me a link to an article at The Mail about a newly discovered mosaic floor of a 1500 year-old Byzantine church some 30 miles south of Tel Aviv, Israel.
There are lots of photos available, but here is one … Continue reading
A reader asked about “Ray”. “Ray” is every Cardinal (the member of the finch family) who has occasionally appeared on these electronic pages.
Since I moved from the Sabine Farm to the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue, I have not had … Continue reading
At the Met in NYC you will see a Madonna and Child with Sts Philip and Agnes.
Herein is our little Savior with His Christological Goldfinch.
Those of you who are new here may wonder what in creation I am … Continue reading