Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Support them with prayer and fasting.
- Mike said I’ve said this a number of times, but I thin...
- PA mom said Rather than the anti-riches way that wealth is ref...
- danube-bosphorus-moskva said Being the most numerous amongst the signatories do...
- Mike said Caelum et terra transibunt, verba autem mea non pr...
- Reconverted Idiot said msc: re the sally-ann (as we here in old blighty r...
- Reconverted Idiot said Great timing Father. I happen to have RERUM NOVAR...
- Reconverted Idiot said incredulous wrote: ‘Our parish is particular...
- JonPatrick said Even though a lot of Bishops seem to be coming out...
- Reconverted Idiot said I’m reminded of Mass once when I was young....
- Reconverted Idiot said Last week I was visited by a good friend of mine w...
- Phil_NL said Weren’t there two anglicans studying in Rome...
- Reconverted Idiot said Christ is risen! Oh right, yeah… you meant o...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said RANCHER: Could be. But, in the meantime…
- Hans said I am on vacation! It may not affect many people,...
- 'Catholic' Fashion Style - BigPulpit.com said [...] Ignitum Today Book Review: “7 Secrets of the...
- 'Catholic' Fashion Style - BigPulpit.com said [...] The Clap! Time To End Clapping At Mass ̵...
- marcelus said So Bosco it’s safe to say you are not too fo...
- RANCHER said Having been a cop in Los Angeles when MS 13 had it...
- RANCHER said Chief Lanier is as “PC” as they come....
- Bea said Thanks, Bishops, for your misconceived sense of ch...
- StJude said I did some family research last year and found a g...
- msmsem said Fr. Jim: “Something in the culture, and I ha...
- Elizabeth D said Have I opposed police being armed? I live in an ef...
- Bea said Be not disturbed by the statements made from the V...
- boxerpaws1952 said “And so Israel started the cycle of hatred t...
- incredulous said Danidunn, stop it. It’s not like these chil...
- Allan S. said I clued into the “Alaska” thing right...
- William Tighe said There is also, Keith, Article XXIX: XXIX. Of the W...
- incredulous said Elizabeth, I strongly recommend a sign for your la...
- Suburbanbanshee said Jesus Christ praised armed soldiers as much as he...
My wish lists
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
How about Rome in October?
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- Some positive items
- Card. Müller’s book-length interview: refutes Communion for divorced and civilly remarried
- His Hermeneuticalness, priest and hacker
- Your Good News
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 2nd Amendment wins one in DC!
- 28 July 1914 – WORLD AT WAR – 100th anniversay of WWI
- How Fishwrap celebrates Episcopalian “ordination” of women.
- St. John XXIII doesn’t like it when you clap in church. So STOP it! (VIDEO)
- Archbishop Chaput on Pope Francis
- Boy Scout held at gunpoint at Canadian border
- MS-13 gang recruiting among illegals flooding across the border
- Will IRS monitor content of sermons? Do they now?
- My View For Awhile: 77 square mile edition
- How many children have died in Hamas’ tunnels?
- ASK FATHER: Why don’t bishops wear cassocks?
- October Rome Pilgrimage – Summorum Pontificum
- WDTPRS 17 Ordinary Sunday: There is no room in Christian life for complacency.
- There’s wreckovation, and then there is this.
- Pope Francis and the Evangelicals
- Napa Institute: Day 3
- Is Pres. Obama going to “nullify” immigration laws?
- Illegal immigrants: what to do?
- CAPTION CALL
- MIAMI: Pro-Hamas demo: “Khybar, Khybar, oh Jews, the armies of Muhammad are coming!”
- About Pope Francis’ possible USA trip
- Chow Line for “Cafeteria Catholics” (heh)
- Napa Institute: Day 2
- Another helpful suggestion (heaven help us)
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
I just bought some candy bars for the chancery staff. Sweeten up someone’s day!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
I use these great cards when I travel
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Category Archives: The Feeder Feed
I haven’t posted about the feeder for a while.
Here is little Red-Breasted Nuthatch. Like most Nuthatches they tend to like being upsidedown.
The other day I heard a “SMACK” against the window and, when I went outside I saw one … Continue reading
The feeder is busy right now, since there has been a cold snap.
This year I have Redpolls.
This cold fellow is a Junco. They are mostly ground feeders. Here is one sitting in a bush outside my kitchen window. … Continue reading
It seems to me such a slow news day that I should… I dunno… tell jokes or maybe post a picture of some birds.
There was a great sun dog which I was able recently to enjoy.
Today I saw a lone Common Redpoll! They haven’t been around for a couple years.
It is nice to see a new visitor from time to time.
You can help … Continue reading
You know the story of Oedipus.
Here is a terracotta bell-krater from Paestum in S Italy. It is attributed to Python in the last quarter of the 4th c. BC.
In S Italy the tragic Oedipus was sometimes depicted in the … Continue reading
Here is a lovely statue of Mary, portrayed as a Queen, with her scepter of a stem of roses. She was made in about 1350. This statue is related to one in silver given by Jeanne d’Evreux to the … Continue reading
At the Met in NYC there is a nice exhibit of paintings and drawings of the Venetian school.
Here is a Madonna and Child Enthroned by Lorenzo Veneziano (+1372), obviously a Venetian painter.
There are touches of the byzantine in this portrayal.
Here … Continue reading
In the new Near East section at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you are able to view “The Concourse of the Birds”, which is on a folio of the Mantiq al-Tair (Language of the Birds) of ‘Attar, painted in about … Continue reading
I am at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, before a painting by Rubens (+1640) of the Holy Family with Sts John, Elizabeth, and a dove.
Rubens has returned from some time in Italy, which affected his colors and composition, and probably … Continue reading