Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Support them with prayer and fasting.
- Sonshine135 said @Reconverted Idiot I believe my point wasn’t...
- Dr. Edward Peters said Hibernation? Ha! I haven’t been hibernating,...
- AgricolaDeHammo said I bought it. Going to read it over with particular...
- Reconverted Idiot said Sonshine, what are capitalistic rules? As far as...
- Reconverted Idiot said Priam, that is all very interesting stuff. Thank y...
- majuscule said Nice to have you here on the Left Coast Father. T...
- Priam1184 said @Chon There has been some martyrdom, but there has...
- Sonshine135 said I have said for a long time that healthcare in the...
- Bryan D. Boyle said Heck, I would be catatonic with joy to espy our gr...
- maryg said Supertradmum, thanks for posting the video. I watc...
- Ivan said You guys might like this. It’s a Latin-Engli...
- danube-bosphorus-moskva said It’s quite true that the United States, in the se...
- SKAY said Kay-Your comment has given me something to think a...
- AVL said I, too, would like to know if you wear your cleric...
- jkking said I went to De La Salle High School! I was a senior...
- StJude said A reporter in San Diego tweeted that 3 on the terr...
- Animadversor said The principal advantage of priestly Latinity is th...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said Reunite the tabernacle with the altar and everythi...
- StJude said I’d love to get on a plane and see a Priest....
- SKAY said Obama could have done something about this a year...
- JARay said I actually read all of Andrew’s post and I t...
- Kathleen10 said I’m dying to know if you are traveling in Ro...
- jflare said “The 15 Mysteries of the Holy Rosary is the...
- kay said I’ve never had a problem with Genesis and 6...
- Andrew Saucci said Air travel these days borders on the inhumane, whi...
- kay said I know I won’t be giving to the churches an...
- ISIS Targeting Christian - BigPulpit.com said [...] MORNING EDITION Published July 22, A. D. 201...
- Priam1184 said No offense Supertradmum, but the way one gets jamm...
- Supertradmum said Dr. Jay Boyd passed this around this week. Worth w...
- Supertradmum said I hate flying. I hate long trips. The new generati...
My wish lists
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
How about Rome in October?
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- Latin American needs a revolution: a liberal and Catholic revolution
- “Annulments” and a distinction: juridical and/or sacramental
- Just Too Cool: Leo XIII’s Latin Riddles
- My View For Awhile: Left Coast Edition
- 22 July: St. Mary Magdalene (and homonymous cookies!)
- Many illegal aliens flooding across border have criminal records
- Fed Court rules Obamacare subsidies ILLEGAL in 36 states!
- Pope Francis prays for success of initiative to convert Anglicans
- World War I – 100 years out
- ISIS targeting Christians: “The West must step in now… or we will be wiped out.”
- Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem!
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- When the priest confessor doesn’t use the proper Form of Absolution. Wherein Fr. Z advises.
- “the very essence of our republic and our reason are being overturned in the public order”
- Bp. Matano (D. Rochester) ends decades illicit practice of “lay preaching”
- Divide et impera: KGB influence on Middle East violence
- What Did the Imam Really Say? Revisited
- Fishwrap: less than enthusiastic about new ITC document on “sensus fidei”.
- Ecumenical consequences of C of E decision on women bishops (aka “wyshyps”)
- WDTPRS 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is seeking you!
- BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPERS REPORT 1
- REVIEW: Movie “Persecuted”
- Malaysian Airlines 17, Death and You
- VIDEO Aurora: just… wow
- Are you Middle Aged yet?
- “Thanks for your blog. It saved this seminarian from a particularly mortifying purification.”
- Compare and contrast: VIDEO – 1983 Pres. Reagan about Korean Air 007
- “Are you still there? Did I do something wrong? I need to know…”
- Voice of America on Holy Innocents in Manhattan: a vibrant Catholic community
- UPDATE: 2013 Scalfari Interview now BACK on the Vatican website. Why?
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
I just bought some candy bars for the chancery staff. Sweeten up someone’s day!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
I use these great cards when I travel
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Category Archives: The Feeder Feed
I haven’t posted about the feeder for a while.
Here is little Red-Breasted Nuthatch. Like most Nuthatches they tend to like being upsidedown.
The other day I heard a “SMACK” against the window and, when I went outside I saw one … Continue reading
The feeder is busy right now, since there has been a cold snap.
This year I have Redpolls.
This cold fellow is a Junco. They are mostly ground feeders. Here is one sitting in a bush outside my kitchen window. … Continue reading
It seems to me such a slow news day that I should… I dunno… tell jokes or maybe post a picture of some birds.
There was a great sun dog which I was able recently to enjoy.
Today I saw a lone Common Redpoll! They haven’t been around for a couple years.
It is nice to see a new visitor from time to time.
You can help … Continue reading
You know the story of Oedipus.
Here is a terracotta bell-krater from Paestum in S Italy. It is attributed to Python in the last quarter of the 4th c. BC.
In S Italy the tragic Oedipus was sometimes depicted in the … Continue reading
Here is a lovely statue of Mary, portrayed as a Queen, with her scepter of a stem of roses. She was made in about 1350. This statue is related to one in silver given by Jeanne d’Evreux to the … Continue reading
At the Met in NYC there is a nice exhibit of paintings and drawings of the Venetian school.
Here is a Madonna and Child Enthroned by Lorenzo Veneziano (+1372), obviously a Venetian painter.
There are touches of the byzantine in this portrayal.
Here … Continue reading
In the new Near East section at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you are able to view “The Concourse of the Birds”, which is on a folio of the Mantiq al-Tair (Language of the Birds) of ‘Attar, painted in about … Continue reading
I am at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, before a painting by Rubens (+1640) of the Holy Family with Sts John, Elizabeth, and a dove.
Rubens has returned from some time in Italy, which affected his colors and composition, and probably … Continue reading