Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- tianzhujiao: Beautiful indeed!!! I think the article I found is about this statue: http://www .carmelite monastery. org/clergy .php
- JustaSinner: Now THAT’ ;S a CARDINAL! Not like that wimp in Chicago defending the indefensib le Senator DICK DurbinR 30;
- Michael Haz: What a great idea! Congratula tions, Justin. My wife, a retired public high school teacher (44 years on the job) loves this device, but adds a note of caution: Someone inside the...
- scotus: “Many theologian s persist in mocking or snubbing the term ‘transubst antiation’ despite the constant references of the Magisteriu m (…)” Unfortunat ely, too true. There is a book called...
- Anne C.: Paul of St. Paul ~ I followed the link given by another reader to Catholic Answers, but it was difficult to find the explanatio n. I finally found the most comprehens ive explanatio n...
- semperficatholic: It is a great invention and I hate to be skeptical, the kid is pretty bright, but what would stop someone from shooting the window out, stick their gun through the broken glass...
- tamranthor: Can I have Justin come and defend my son’ s school? Please? ;)
- robtbrown: frjim4321 says: Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. 211; It has language like Ineffabili s Deus and Munificent issimus Deus, both of which are...
- NBW: Fr. Rutler is extremely intelligen t and witty. I love his sense of humor. Those that lack true intellect like Fr.Spadaro , would not in a million years, be able to write or speak like Fr....
- frjim4321: [That’s an old chestnut. You know very well what the reasons are. You just don’t want to accept the Church officially defined teaching, which is also infallible .] I know the reasons, as...
- SKAY: Thank you Father.
- Ave Maria: The attacks on the Real Presence has been going on for decades. The liturgical abuses contribute to the lessening of belief. And “dea cons’ ; who are also professors such as...
- Aquinas Gal: When I was in third or fourth grade at a Catholic school, a priest came in to talk about the Mass. I still vividly recall how we walked up and down the aisles showing us the chali...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: How do **bishops* * do this and remain in Communion with the rest of the Church? Where is the Barque to strengthen the brethren?
- Sawyer: @LeeGilber t, I saw Anthony Ruff’ ;s curt response to you at praytellbl og. He completely ignored your statements and question about the decline in belief about the Real Presence. He...
- Mike: Once one accepts that after Vatican 2 Jesuitism became Teilhardia n rather than Catholic, all this makes sense, insofar as it can.
- LeeGilbert: In response to SawyerR 17;s note that praytell was addressing Cdl Sarah̵ 7;s preface, I made the following comment there and hope that others will engage them as well. Well,...
- robtbrown: A distinctio n must be made between Hatha yoga, primarily a group of stretching and breathing exercise, and Mantra yoga, a method of meditation . A mantra is one word, often of one...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Spadaro wrote: “In theology 2 + 2 can equal 5. Because it has to do with God and the real life of people… 221; Huh. In the real life of people writing 2+2=5 on your tax...
- Ellen: At our parish we have EMHC, but I always try to go where Father is distributi ng. I receive on the tongue – always. I’ve been to Mass at the chapel of the Fathers of Mercy where...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- bookworm: I don’ t see where mere positionin g without an explicit purpose of praying is enough to constitute prayer; if it were, then one would be potentiall y worshiping false gods or...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z for this excerpt from Garrigou-L agrange. Interestin g connection with this Station Church and St. Crispin of Henry V fame, Enrico Fermi, and ham sandwiches . Great...
- VexillaRegis: Dear Paul of St Paul, the CAF usually has reliable answers: https://ww w.catholic .com/magaz ine
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Blatteroons
I’ve seen some pretty dumb things on the internet. I’ve seen some pretty evil things on the internet. I’ve seen things that are both pretty dumb and pretty evil on the internet.
This has to be right up there with the … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
Atheists Sue U.S. House Chaplain
May 6, 2016
Bill Donohue comments on an atheist group suing the U.S. House chaplain:
Thursday, May 5, was America’s annual National Day of Prayer. So of course the anti-prayer Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) [These goofs … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Dec:
It seems that the priest involved has been involved with his diocese in this matter HERE. There is also an article in a local paper which explains the fallout. HERE
In short, Father is sorry that he did what … Continue reading
Nancy “the Theologian” Pelosi… words fail!
Nancy Pelosi: Gay ‘marriage’ is ‘consistent’ with Catholic teaching
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, says that same-sex “marriage” is perfectly “consistent” with Catholic Christianity.
Pelosi brought her … Continue reading
No wonder the Church is struggling in Belgium.
From Tradition in Action and Amor de la Verdad:
Catholic funeral for a dog in Belgium
It happened on April 22, 2015 in the city of Sambreville, Belgium, in St. Victor Church of Auvelais. [D. Namur] The parish … Continue reading
The Cardinal Newman Society (see their live feed on my sidebar) has a story about a horrible event at a catholic college in Wisconsin.
Parents, if you are thinking about paying lots of money for your children to go to college, … Continue reading
What is it about Archbishops of St. Louis? They tend to bring out the bully in politicians.
Maybe you recall how, years ago when now-Archbp. Robert Carlson informed then-Sen. Tom Daschle that he wasn’t to vote for a partial-birth abortion bill … Continue reading
A couple months ago, the mouth-breathing Islamic terrorists of Boko Haram had our attention by kidnapping school girls.
Then ISIS struck and stole the limelight.
Then Hamas stole even more market share by rocketing Israel.
But wait! Then ISIS got back in the … Continue reading
At Jihad Watch I saw a photo of a “protester” (read = thug) in Ferguson, MO, holding up an ISIS sign.
He and his discontented buddies should go – right now – to join the caliphate!
Once they are there, let them try their … Continue reading
I want you to stop for a moment and do something: Right now… try to imagine what goes through the mind of a soul during her first 15 seconds in Hell. The realization of where you are…
“This can’t … be … Continue reading
This is by Zac Morgan, a staff attorney at the Center for Competitive Politics writing at NRO. My emphases and comments.
Does Religious Speech Threaten Democracy?
It could be restricted or banned under a constitutional amendment Democrats have proposed.
The Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday … Continue reading
If those who are for big-business abortion are willing even to kill the unborn, who thinks that they will display the human decency of manners?
Moreover, we just don’t know what has transpired in the lives of some people who, in … Continue reading
One of the dumbest things I’ve read for a while: Kelly Kultala, pro-abortion Dem candidate in Kansas
First, there is no such thing as a pro-choice Catholic.
Catholics are not free to choose what they are going to believe and what they are going to reject when the teachings are defined by the Church.
The much-vaunted Second Vatican Council … Continue reading
The pressure will now rise, since Anglicans have betrayed Christian tradition and history (again).
Never mind that the Church of England has cobbled up a rite of baptism that omits any reference to the Devil (HERE), now we have this from … Continue reading
Liberals will eventually turn on Pope Francis. There are even some indications at The Fishwrap that this is starting.
Francis’ style doesn’t seem conservative at all, but he is NOT going to change doctrine. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be … Continue reading
Pro-abortion catholics and proponents of same-sex unions have odd company.
From Life News:
Satanists seek religious exemption to pro-life laws, call gay unions their ‘sacrament’
DETROIT, MI, June 10, 2014 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Whenever the American people try to curtail abortion or maintain marriage laws, … Continue reading
Here is another example of when laypeople, who have been twisted in their faith by catholic media like The Fishwrap and the Call To Action type organizations in their orbit, go to the zoo about the appointment of their new bishop.
I … Continue reading
It is hard to know which box to check:
? tragically ignorant
? mendaciously obtuse
We have seen antinomianism rear its dangerous head in many scenarios now: those who are bound to uphold and enforce the law simply deciding sua sponte that they … Continue reading