Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: When a Pope canonizes someone to sainthood, say like a few Popes who have done away with Catholic Tradition etc, does God always accept that the person is a saint regardless ? Or is Matthew...
- Lurker 59: In looking over documents, it is the general consensus of theologian s over hundreds of years that canonizati ons are infallible . That said, I think it can be argued that they would not...
- hilltop: Holy Priests in locations / situations where there are too few priests have maximum opportunit y to exercise the privileges of Summorum Pontificum ! Use them. Be examples to your brother...
- adriennep: I was a heathen living the single “good life” in San Francisco but somehow that twinkle of his eye got my attention. That and he being this rare Polish countryman . Somehow he spoke to...
- MrsMacD: Is it possible, since canonizati ons used to require a devil̵ 7;s advocate and three(?) clear miracles during the time canonizati ons were considered infallible , that they’ ;ve...
- MrsMacD: The Roses being crushed makes a nice parallel with the beautiful innocence they love crushing, in their sacred abortion right. The noise, Ears closed, Heart heardened, No room for gentle...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Sigh. Well, this is not the first time a pope has canonized whose pontificat e was less than helpful for the Universal Church. St. Celestine V. Disaster as a pope and not...
- TonyO: Can critics of the critics point to a dogmatic definition of the infallibil ity of canonizati ons? No. There is no such dogmatic definition . However, dogmatic definition s are not the only...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Can critics of the critics point to a dogmatic definition of the infallibil ity of canonizati ons? Opinions of theologian s, however exalted, do not count. Even Aquinas...
- Man-o-words: Rails, not fails. I really hate phone keyboards. . .
- teachermom24: I have no memory of his election (“Ca tholicR 21; was not even on my radar at the time), but I do have distinct memory of his death as it came the year after my entry into...
- Man-o-words: I think, percusio, that the m.o. here is the long list of other “con fusing revelation s” associated with the pope who fails against clericalis m and then cannonizes clergy...
- TitanTom: You lost me attacking “hom ilies delivered by a fat, middle class half educated minister.& #8221; I think the Church would be well served with middle class young men, after discer...
- Percusio: Seems to me that if a person is to doubt the validity or actuality of the canonizati on of a saint they had better have more than the evidence, but a rational and accepted modus operan...
- Benedict Joseph: I was just twenty-sev en. My first thought was “…thank God. But don’t tell that to anyone.” I just knew he was going to get things back on track. Well, he didn’t, but he kept us...
- michael de cupertino: For those who may be interested or are looking for more traditiona l Catholic content, Fr. Erlenbush posts reflection s and some essays newtheolog icalmoveme nt.blogspo t.com,...
- Livewire: Someone who knows who partook in a gay, cocaine fueled orgie in the CDF apartment and didn’ ;t excommunic ate that priest and someone who stands in front of that Christmas Creche and...
- tho: I don’ t mean to downplay the loss of life, but Vatican II and it’s spirit, was like an atomic bomb dropped on the sensibilit ies of way too many Catholics, both lay and cleric...
- mrjaype: Anita, I always thought that canonizati ons are infallible . Is there still room for uncertaint y about the eternal state of these souls?
- dinsdale: My memory of this event pales in comparison to this account from a student in Krakow: “I was walking down a street in Krakow on my way home, when suddenly all around me windows and...
- Kathleen10: The men who run the church will continue on their path until they run the entire church into the ground. Nothing known to man is going to cause them to pause and reflect, and certai...
- The Cobbler: ^ What chantgirl said!
- Unwilling: Back in the ’70s , drowning hard-ident ity Catholics like us said about Paul vi things very like what we now [despairin gly] say or think about Francis. I recall the chaos and...
- MrsMacD: I have one son that is colour blind and three that are borderline colourblin d. I suppose this would be a good argument for memorizing those parts of the Mass.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I must admit to being among the ranks of people who have a problem with this canonizati on. Maybe this incident will prompt, in some not-too-di stant-yet future pontifi...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Some good news from Montana, a laugh, and some reactions to Paul VI canonization
- 16 October 1978: Election of John Paul II – 40 YEARS!
- Archbp. Chaput interviewed by The Pill – #sodoclericalism
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Puir Slow-Witted Gowk
Ireland. The gift that keeps on giving.
I read at the NCRegister that former Irish President Mary McAleese thinks that infant baptism is a violation of human rights.
Baptizing babies, she said, makes “infant conscripts who are held to lifelong obligations of … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
Atheists Sue U.S. House Chaplain
May 6, 2016
Bill Donohue comments on an atheist group suing the U.S. House chaplain:
Thursday, May 5, was America’s annual National Day of Prayer. So of course the anti-prayer Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) [These goofs … Continue reading
A priest friend sent a video of a Portuguese priest, Fr. José Cruz in Moita dos Ferreiros from Easter 2014.
I can imagine statues of Our Lady of Fatima weeping at the sight of this.
Enjoy more of Cruz HERE.
Some of the worst analysis from a TV broadcast and journalist that I have ever heard about the Church. HERE
Count the problems.
Remember… this is about the coverage.
Moderation queue is ON.
Can you believe how ridiculous this is getting?
At a guitar shop, teenagers complained that a guitar with the Confederate flag was on display! HERE
Ummm… no, kids. Fail.
Thank you, American educators! Well done.
And then there was the story in the American Mirror about … Continue reading
Ann Carey, author of the thoughtful and balanced Sisters in Crisis Revisited: From Unraveling to Reform and Renewal, masterfully dissected the astonishingly myopic and self-centered speech given at the recent LCWR meeting by Sr. Nancy Shreck. I urge you to … Continue reading
Hamas is a “humanitarian organization.”
“And we have to confer with the Qataris, who have told me over and over again that Hamas is a humanitarian organization,” Pelosi said to Crowley.
Perhaps she should go spend some with Hamas in order to … Continue reading
The Synod on the Family will start in October. Already the dissidents at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) are whining. They have twigged to the fact that they are not going to get what they want.
Today there … Continue reading
Retailer Costco removing D’Souza’s “America” book from its shelves
On Monday, WND has learned that wholesale retailer giant, Costco, began removing Dinesh D’Souza’s bestselling book “America: Imagine the World Without Her” from their store shelves nationwide. Jerome R. Corsi of … Continue reading
There is another silly wymyn thing taking place in Kalamazoo -zoo-zoo-zoo-zoo! HERE
The local bishop, Most Rev. Paul Bradley, wrote clearly to the diocese as to the consequences of participating in a simulation of a woman’s ordination. His full statement HERE.
The … Continue reading
Cincinnati: Wymyn stage a fake ordination at Episcopalian church. Reminder of we should do about it.
Some wymyn played priest the other day in Cincinnati. My friend Fr. Martin Fox, a real priest in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, is all over this.
What I found curious about this is that the news report at WCPO TV said … Continue reading
It is hard to know which box to check:
? tragically ignorant
? mendaciously obtuse
We have seen antinomianism rear its dangerous head in many scenarios now: those who are bound to uphold and enforce the law simply deciding sua sponte that they … Continue reading
I want everyone to know this.
From The Advocate:
Bishop didn’t get message because it was written in Latin
BISHOP Geoffrey Jarrett [of Lismore, Australia] told the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse he didn’t report an allegation against Lismore’s Father … Continue reading
You have got to be kidding me.
Read and weep.
This speaks of the degradation of our time.
From the Beeb:
The Vatican has withdrawn from sale 6,000 copies of a new papal medal on which the name of Jesus was misspelt.
In an inscription … Continue reading