Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: GordonB, there can be an appearance of the same kind of “car ping” ; about how it “is& #8221; or “is not” obedience to the authority of the Teachers. I propose...
- padredana: What about the old formula in the vernacular ? My understand ing is that since Summorum Pontificum allows the use of the books in use in 1962, and in 1961 in the United States the use of...
- teomatteo: Also please note that a fundraiser will begin immediatel y after the mass (for a new roof!)
- Fr_Sotelo: The videos of Bishop Schneider are very impressive for his ability to articulate the crisis in the Church, maintainin g still his serene trust in Divine Providence and in the indefec...
- Imrahil: Of course, this “sou nds a lot like the SSPX” ;. The thing is, as far as the possibilit y of error by the Magisteriu m (acting below the level of infallibil ity) and the non-a...
- aiello01: Recovering New Testament Christiani ty would be more useful. [It wasn’ ;t “los t”. It’s with us now. We live it now. This is a false road. Christiani ty by defini...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: I’m not so sure someone with a scrupulous conscience would wait for an answer here in this forum. I guess it is possible but scrupulous ly usually produces a very unholy...
- APX: As someone with a terrible memory that has a tendency to go blank, I strongly recommend writing out one’ s sins. Not only will it keep you from forgetting them, but it will speed up the...
- bushboar: There̵ 7;s no such thing as a “sam e sex spouseR 21; so there̵ 7;s no danger of scandal. Problem solved!
- GordonB: Not to split hairs, but this sounds remarkably alike to what I understand (though perhaps my understand ing is wrong) the Society of St. Pius X says when raising concerns about certain...
- ChrisP: Prof Lawler and Salzman need to take a undergrad, simpletons course in the Creighton fertility method and ancillary NaPro Technology . It will avail their Nazgul like minds of true sexual...
- JMody: Cardinal Müller is a definite treasure. Such a shame that he is no longer running CDF. I was struck by two things reading this: 1. In his exposition on the question of obedience and absol...
- stephen c: I never believed that Pius XII was as helpful as his detractors say he was to the evil and violent politician s of his day. So, I have not prayed for him the way I pray for our poor...
- Dean: “Rem ember that you are a beloved child of God” , those were the first words more than a decade ago after my first confession in over 4 years in which I had confessed to serious...
- Sawyer: It increasing ly seems that quite a few “the ologians 8221; consider their role to be purveyors of sophistry whose aim is to play word games with traditiona l theologica l terms in...
- JohnRoss: A video shows an Armenian deaconess serving a liturgy in Turkey. https://ww w.facebook .com/ortho doxdeacone ss/posts/5 6314127052 5514 [Yawn.]
- JohnRoss: The Armenian Apostolic Church apparently never abolished the female diaconate. It’s continued ordaining women without interrupti on since the 4th century. Being separate from the...
- Sawyer: @Mat. Anna, I was intrigued by your informatio n and did some research. I found that Pope Pius XII wrote an encyclical “Sem piternus rex” in which he declared that the Orien...
- thomas tucker: This questioner sounds to me as if he is troubled by a scrupulous conscience . Having suffered from that years ago, I can recognize it, and the suffering that it causes. One thing I...
- nycdreamr: Nothing in this article has anything to do with reducing the age of consent. [Maybe you really believe that. Mark my words: that’ ;s the trajectory .]
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: “The horsemeat& #8230;take s me back to seminary.& #8221; This cafeteria- chow talk brings to mind the learned discussion the Blues Brothers had with Matt “...
- David L Alexander: It needs to be said, that to the degree that an office of deaconess existed, it was (and arguably is) primarily an Eastern phenomenon , even as understood to be distinct from the...
- arga: Thank you, Father, for your willingnes s to actually read this swill and expose it.
- JesusFreak84: When I attended the TLM in Louisville , I actually LIKED having the Mass in the noon hour. Yeah, I slept in. Also, if it snowed, there was more time for the plows to do their thing.
- tho: The medical profession has two fields of study for women known as gynecology and obstetrics , they deal with the anatomy of females. Proctology is a medical study that deals with our bowels,...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
- UDPATED Two stories intersect in Ch 8 of Amoris laetitia: An attack on Humanae vitae and a Cardinal speaks up
- Juxtaposition: Demolition of churches
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Puir Slow-Witted Gowk
From a priest:
It is now over five years since I learned to say Mass in the Usus Antiquior. [Hooray!] I have tried hard not to import random bits of rubrical practice into my celebration of the Novus Ordo. [That can … Continue reading
Radio talk-show great Dennis Prager analyzes pro-abortion catholic VP Joe Biden’s abortion response during the debate. HERE.
Joe Biden’s Religion: Catholicism or Leftism?
In the vice presidential debate, the two candidates, both Roman Catholics, were asked about their religious beliefs, how they … Continue reading
From a reader:
A group of us wanted to recite the Rosary after Mass in church and our pastor said ‘No the Rosary is a ‘private prayer’ and cannot be said as a group in church…..your thoughts ???
Are you sure that … Continue reading
From a reader:
I wore my black mantilla (it blends in with my dark brown hair better) to an OF Mass this evening for the second time (no issues the first time), but after I arrived, a group of chatty and … Continue reading
From a deacon:
I was wondering how safe it is to assume that water flowing over the hair along with the correct words constitutes a valid baptism. I ask because there were just 12 babies baptized in my parish and some … Continue reading
At The Tablet aka The Bitter Pill, there is a piece by one Melanie Lately, a guest contributor, which deserves our attention – and not because of its excellence.
Commentators in the combox over there have dealt with the obvious problems, … Continue reading
I am not making this up. This is from Treehugger.
Priest in Brazil Replaces Prayer With Tree-Planting
by Stephen Messenger, Porto Alegre, Brazil on 06.22.11
Planting trees may be a great way to help save the environment, but thanks to one Catholic diocese … Continue reading