Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: I did not read all the other comments, this subject matter causes me too much anxiety and I should generally not discuss it here.
- Kenneth Wolfe: September 26 is a third class feast on the 1962 calendar, the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions in the U.S., and Saints Cyprian and Justina universall y (commemora ted in the...
- Kathleen10: I doubt the Synod organizers think young people want or need the changes they inflict. They are following the plan they have had roiling around in their heads for quite some time now....
- un-ionized: Elizabeth, you’ re allowed to use your brain. I have been through a lot of trials about Mary even though she was the one who brought me into the Church and I certainly wouldn&...
- crjs1: luciavento I think it highly dependant on location. In Scotland where I am my experience is similar to yours in that the most liberal parishes have by far the largest congregati ons (on...
- mwa: There is a passage in JudithR 17;s Marriage (by Bryan Houghton) which lays out very nicely this 2way nature of tradition. It is spoken by an old man who has just come to believe the truth...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Elizabeth D, I imagine that many young women would have the same quandaries you had in understand ing why Mary’s virginity is something special, given how society underst...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, I would agree to an edit of “suspended ” I didn’ ;t really claim more than that here, so: accepted. Please don’ t mind my observatio n that the “...
- Thorfinn: The FSSPX has 65 new seminarian s vs. 637 current priests. The FSSP has 39 new seminarian s vs. 287 current priests. The ICRSS has 22 new seminarian s vs. 114 current priests. (“...
- JohnE: Poor kid. The difficulty for him ever becoming a Supreme Court judge just skyrockete d.
- SpesUnica: “sus pended for the time being,R 21; is not, at this moment in history, really different from saying “for the foreseeabl e future. 221; That isn’ t something I am...
- luciavento: I still do not see personally the TLM out pacing attendance at liberal NO Masses. The two most highly attended Masses I attended recently were at churches where the tabernacle was not...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, it falls into the area of the claims of the SSPX that the church is in such a crisis that obedience to the Chair of Peter is abrogated. You could perhaps, if you wish to be...
- Imrahil: As to the article posted by the dear ProfKwasni ewski, I am rather critical about this canonizati on myself (though I don’ t doubt St. Paul VI’s being in Heaven, now the Church...
- SpesUnica: I find myself in agreement with DiPippo (“Wh at does the Canonizati on of Paul VI Mean for the Liturgy and Liturgical Reform? 221;) [tldr; Nothing], and in disagreeme nt with...
- Uxixu: One decent feature of the 1969-1970 Pauline calendar is the idea of local feastsR 30; unfortunat ely tainted by too many other innovation s. After St. Pius V, way too many 16th and 17th...
- Spinmamma: The true losers in all of this were the two terrified children. My view of this woman is that she has serious mental health issues, inflamed by the #metoo movement. Personally I thought...
- LeeGilbert: Peter Kwasniewsk i writes, “Why is the reader so certain that Paul VI is a saint, and that praying publicly to him would not be a sin?” ; Perhaps, PK, it is because the...
- Titus: The two hats in that photo belonged to Cards. O’Boyle and Hickey. This is what I would have thought. +Baum was buried in the cathedral in Washington but wasn’ ;t the archbishop at the...
- zama202: As an attorney weighing the totality of the evidence – the spiritual and liturgical state of most (not all) NO parishes – and the spiritual and liturgical state of the SSPX...
- Geoffrey: Perhaps the questioner wishes to promote unity and reconcilia tion by incorporat ing Saint John XXIII, Saint Paul VI, or Saint John Paul II into the extraordin ary form of the Roman Rite....
- Imrahil: Note: Whether or not canonizati ons are infallible , as the traditiona l, but apparently with some reasons questioned stand is, one thing is clear that if they are infallible , there is...
- The Egyptian: dear supertradm om I do not attend a SSPX chapel there is none anywhere near me, however, some of the “cat holic̶ 1; masses I have attended were almost not “...
- Elizabeth D: I want to comment i am sorry if I distressed anyone and do not want to disrespect Mary or anyone
- Elizabeth Rose: Having read the article on onepeterfi ve, and the other article linked there, I am very confused about the infallibil ity of canonizati ons. I always thought they were infallible ,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: One Man & One Woman
From a reader…
We were in a situation where
(a) my fiancee and I had already booked a time slot in a Church for the Rite of Marriage and Nuptial Mass
(b) After this, we requested from the parish priest to have Rite … Continue reading
I wrote about the dreadful vestments used at the World Meeting For Families 2018 in Ireland. HERE
You should read what Catholic artist Daniel Mitsui wrote about how artists were invited to submit designs for the vestments and how shabbily treated they … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it permissible to attend an SSPX wedding? I thought that the couple (or priest) would first need to request permission from the local bishop and then also have a diocesan priest at the wedding, but I was … Continue reading
From a reader…
First, great blog, thanks for all your hard work and sharing your insights and knowledge!
Second, I have a question for you re: my niece and her new husband. I’ll be as brief and organized as I can.
My niece … Continue reading
Some committed Catholics today, like Donatists, think that one strike is the only and permanent strike, without possibility of conversion, penance and return to the path of holiness.
Some others today, on the other hand, claim that the Church – for … Continue reading
The other day, Kevin Card. Farrell, formerly of Dallas and now of Rome, made a disparaging remark about pretty much every priest in the world when it comes to marriage prep. He said: “[Priests] have no credibility; they have never lived … Continue reading
Today is the feast of two saints married to each other and the parents of another.
Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin have their feast in the Novus Order calendar. They are the parents of St. Therese, the Little Flower. July 13th was … Continue reading
The war on the teaching of Humanae vitae continued today with an offering at ultra-liberal Commonweal by Massimo “Beans” Faggioli. Beans spends a lot of time on Twitter throwing out one inflammatory tweet after another as click bait.
Faggioli takes his … Continue reading
My old friend Michael Matt of The Remnant gave a rousing pro-family talk in London recently. You might want to tune in.
And, take note of the spiffy title!
Along the way Michael reminds the listeners that Card. Caffara (one of the … Continue reading
From a reader, wondering about the veracity of the following…
“Current Catholic canon law requires that if someone remarried in a heterosexual marriage seeks confirmation/baptism having previously been in a legally recognized same-sex marriage, they need an annulment of the same-sex … Continue reading
I am astonished. And I am not astonished.
At the site of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, we learn that Jesuit homosexualist activist James Martin has been asked to speak at the upcoming World Meeting of Families.
This meeting takes place … Continue reading
From a reader…
Have you ever heard of “betrothal ceremonies” in the Roman Rite prior to entering into marriage? Asking for a friend…
Once upon a time the notion of “betrothal” was far more rooted in both secular and religious consciousness (often … Continue reading
One of the figures who emerged from the shadows through the Lettergate scandal, is German liberal (wrong) theologian Peter Hünermann. Benedict XVI had a strong negative reaction to finding him among the writers of the series that was intended to bolster … Continue reading
My old friend Msgr. Hans Feichtinger has penned for First Things a piece about the German bishops.
DISCERNMENT ÜBER ALLES
The German bishops have announced that they will soon publish new guidelines for reception of the Holy Eucharist. [Because the old guidelines really … Continue reading
This from Jesuit-run Amerika:
Cardinal Kasper: Quit throwing around the word ‘heretic’ [Hmmm. I’ll bet he says that!]
Think twice before calling someone a “heretic.”
That is the seemingly simple advice from Cardinal Walter Kasper, the prominent German theologian whose ideas have influenced Pope … Continue reading