Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- magister63: Has anyone pointed out that it also resembles 3 sixes? 666? Why wouldnR 17;t that get caught by the planners unless it was intentiona l?
- fmsb78: I attend Mass in a SSPX chapel located inside an old house built in 1890. The walls are cracking and it could well fall apart in some more years̷ 0; Just saying this because I already...
- hwriggles4: Regarding Hales Corner, WI seminary: I believe this seminary is the Sacred Heart School of Theology (I visited three years ago). A good priest in my diocese was ordained several years...
- Michael Haz: The TLM parish to which I belong was “und erground 8221; for several decades following Vatican II. During that time, a span we refer to as the “Wea kland Era” the...
- Andrew: For secret communicat ions with priests, in order to avoid the bishop understand ing your covert messages, use Latin.
- The Masked Chicken: Three thoughts: 1. The symbol on the vestment perfectly summarizes the current pontificat e where theologica l statements are made with curves rather than straight lines. 2....
- seashoreknits: After all the tears of this past week, what a joy to share in this. It sure did make my day. Hail Holy Queen!!
- AA Cunningham: Ave Maria says: 19 August 2018 at 8:30 PM Read at every Mass at every parish in the archdioces e of Denver: https://ar chden.org/ letter-to- the-archdi ocese-of-d enver-on-t he-abu...
- Dan: “Mor lino vocations ?, Cupich. ?” “And you shall know them by their fruit̶ 1; We can also look at the fruit of the last 50 years after stripping our liturgy and our...
- Ellen: Our associate pastor preached. He began with a profound apology and a statement that no one deserves to be abused by anyone ever. He said it was so much worse when a priest who is there in...
- Markus: Important letter from our Archbishop : (silence, crickets) Regarding “sep aration of families 8221; on the border: 5 statements in August. Priorities .
- TonyO: There may well come a day when priests are not “all owed” ; to keep the seal of the confession al, and for that reason are hounded by the public authoritie s. Or (like in Califo...
- JonPatrick: Byzantine Divine Liturgy 13th Sunday after Pentecost. The Gospel concerned the owner who built a vineyard and leased it to tenants who wanted it for themselves so they mistreated or...
- Dismas: Looks like the Fishwrap is ginning up a petition to expel Bishop Morlino.
- Mallu Jack: Some more letter word counts Bp Morlino VS Cd Cupich Predator-M orlino 3 / Cupich 0 Punishment -Morlino 4 / Cupich 0 Seminarian s -Morlino 7 / Cupich 0 Penance-Mo rlino 1 / Cupich 0...
- JSPizzo: Amazing video! It’s beautiful to see such joy in a young soul!
- HvonBlumenthal: Another site is enthusiast ic about a story that the Pope is sending Archbishop of Malta Charles Scicluna to investigat e abuse in the US. Since, however, his investigat ion in...
- maternalView: I couldnR 17;t help it but as I read the comparison with Cupich I was reminded of this quote from his predecesso r Cardinal George: “I expect to die in bed, my successor will...
- maternalView: I was just thinking about this. I do think terrible times are ahead for Catholics. That was always in the cards but this current mess has helped that along. (As Father suggests ) I...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Bishop Barber, St. Margaret Mary, Oakland. Confirmati on sermon, since he didn’ ;t preach during the Mass: Since we were celebratin g the external solemnity of the...
- Robertlifelongcatholic: It was enough to make Cardinal Wuerl cancel.
- maternalView: The priest continued on from his homily last weekend, wherein he talked about worthy reception of the Eucharist and the need for confession , and punctuated his thoughts with examp...
- maternalView: The sad thing is there are laity who just don’ t want to admit this has anything to do with sexual morality. Assault and abuse, power and control, and secrecy are their prefer...
- hwriggles4: My dad passed away last night, so after staying up late with my family, I went to the 11 am Mass at a nearby parish. I had never been to this particular parish, and the priest spoke of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More feedback: Father Z, You have been a great consolatio n to me through the past several months. I am a new convert, received on Easter Sunday 2016 from a very fundamenta list...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Our Catholic Identity
I saw this tweet from Ed Pentin:
Benedict XVI en route to Fatima 2010: “…today we are seeing it in a really terrifying way: that the greatest persecution of the Church comes not from her enemies without, but arises from sin … Continue reading
From a reader…
First, great blog, thanks for all your hard work and sharing your insights and knowledge!
Second, I have a question for you re: my niece and her new husband. I’ll be as brief and organized as I can.
My niece … Continue reading
In the older, traditional way of thinking about Holy Mass, when we celebrate a traditional Pontifical Mass, especially at the throne, we perceive the Mass as being the spiritual gathering of the entire diocese in that moment and place in … Continue reading
I had an eclectic mix playing and the windows down on my way to the Canon Law Conference that Card. Burke sponsors each year at the Shrine of Our Lady near La Crosse.
As I pulled in at my destination, the … Continue reading
“Whatsoever new and unheard-of doctrine you shall find to have been furtively introduced” is “permitted as a trial”.
When confusing things happen that leave people upset, legitimately, I have often written that that we should stay calm. This is for several reasons.
Each horrid thing that clerics do or strange thing they say is further proof that this is … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If something is in the Catechism, do I have to give in, believe it even though it is different from what the Catechism taught before?
I am getting questions from lots people about Pope Francis’ move to change the Church’s doctrine concerning capital punishment.
If this is in the Catechism, do I have to give in and believe it even though this is different from what … Continue reading
At Catholic World Report, Fr. Peter Stravinskas reacts to ongoing scandal. He has some suggestions about how to address the identity problem we have in the Church – that’s what it is, isn’t it! – along the lines of Catholic … Continue reading
The inimitable Fr. H today has a spiffing piece at his blog Mutual Enrichment. Let’s have a look.
Taking a breath
We are told that a certain sort of Novus Ordo cleric complains that the current 2010 English translation of the Roman Rite is … Continue reading
I had this note from a priestly reader:
Thank you for drawing attention to the Mme Defarge rhetoric of the Left (Catholic and otherwise) and for pointing out the danger of letting the Left provoke us also into a lynch mob … Continue reading
We live in confusing times. Confusion racks the Church, like horses pulling limb in four directions. Confused faithful even wonder about the indefectibility of the Church or their continued membership. Confusion like this is a sign of the Devil’s work.
Do … Continue reading
Do you have some good news to share with the readership? Let’s hear it! We need good news.
Here’s some good news for you.
A few weeks ago, the Archdiocese of Washington DC got a new Auxiliary Bishop, Most. Rev. Michael Fisher. … Continue reading
And now a short excursion into common sense.
“I am of the opinion, to be sure, that the old rite should be granted much more generously to all those who desire it. It’s impossible to see what could be dangerous or … Continue reading
The demographics of church participation are shifting.
In these USA…
The numbers of active priests will drop, impacting the number of parishes open. The number of millennials going to church will drop, thus impacting parish income. The number of conservative and traditional … Continue reading
These days it seems as if every time I turn around, I receive news of another Pontifical Mass in the Traditional Roman Rite has been celebrated somewhere. I couldn’t be more pleased.
Slowly but surely, we are witnessing the reintegration of … Continue reading
The war on the teaching of Humanae vitae continued today with an offering at ultra-liberal Commonweal by Massimo “Beans” Faggioli. Beans spends a lot of time on Twitter throwing out one inflammatory tweet after another as click bait.
Faggioli takes his … Continue reading