Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LatinMan: The difference between Catholics and liberals is that the Catholic holds the Church door open and says to those outside “Welcome!” , while the liberal holds the Church door open and says...
- semperficatholic: Welcome to the Burger King gospel. You know their slogan, “Hav e it Your Way.” ;
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, As a canonizati on meaning only that a person “is enjoying the Beatific Vision”: no, that’s not true. If that was me, then: that’ ;s not what I said. What I did say was...
- Adaquano: My parish is a good example (well we are made of two – one just outside a major city – the other just inside). We have a lot of young families – some with 6,7,8,9 kids....
- Thomas Stewart: It’s not that complicate d. When someone is examining a faith, and sees that even the leaders of that faith won’ t defend the details of that faith – “tha t...
- TonyO: I usually respect P. Kwasniewsk i’s articles a lot, but this one fell flat. And the article by Lamont at Rorate Coeli? It has a number of problems too. Sorry, guys, you need to go back...
- Mike: The OnePeterFi ve footnote repeats something right out of the Wikipedia entry for Paul VI. It is a subject Paul VI addressed very publicly at the time and asked for prayers in reference to....
- Rob in Maine: When the Holy Father was elected, I was asked by several people, mostly non church going relatives, what I thought of the new Pope. When I wouldnR 17;t reply enthusiast ically,...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The penitentia l rite is one of my favorite parts of the traditiona l Mass. It is one of the things I really like about low Mass. The penitentia l rite is one of my least...
- Dan: The devil stands in front of hell with a big sign that say “all are welcome here!” It is more loving to welcome someone to hell or bring them to safety?
- The Cobbler: Hang on. Patriarchy ? Does that include husbands and fathers — you know, the actual meaning of the term? Also, I will here note that the event is scheduled for 7 PM through 10...
- acardnal: robtbrown, I always appreciate your responses.
- Elizabeth D: I did not read all the other comments, this subject matter causes me too much anxiety and I should generally not discuss it here.
- Kenneth Wolfe: September 26 is a third class feast on the 1962 calendar, the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions in the U.S., and Saints Cyprian and Justina universall y (commemora ted in the...
- Kathleen10: I doubt the Synod organizers think young people want or need the changes they inflict. They are following the plan they have had roiling around in their heads for quite some time now....
- un-ionized: Elizabeth, you’ re allowed to use your brain. I have been through a lot of trials about Mary even though she was the one who brought me into the Church and I certainly wouldn&...
- crjs1: luciavento I think it highly dependant on location. In Scotland where I am my experience is similar to yours in that the most liberal parishes have by far the largest congregati ons (on...
- mwa: There is a passage in JudithR 17;s Marriage (by Bryan Houghton) which lays out very nicely this 2way nature of tradition. It is spoken by an old man who has just come to believe the truth...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Elizabeth D, I imagine that many young women would have the same quandaries you had in understand ing why Mary’s virginity is something special, given how society underst...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, I would agree to an edit of “suspended ” I didn’ ;t really claim more than that here, so: accepted. Please don’ t mind my observatio n that the “...
- Thorfinn: The FSSPX has 65 new seminarian s vs. 637 current priests. The FSSP has 39 new seminarian s vs. 287 current priests. The ICRSS has 22 new seminarian s vs. 114 current priests. (“...
- JohnE: Poor kid. The difficulty for him ever becoming a Supreme Court judge just skyrockete d.
- SpesUnica: “sus pended for the time being,R 21; is not, at this moment in history, really different from saying “for the foreseeabl e future. 221; That isn’ t something I am...
- luciavento: I still do not see personally the TLM out pacing attendance at liberal NO Masses. The two most highly attended Masses I attended recently were at churches where the tabernacle was not...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, it falls into the area of the claims of the SSPX that the church is in such a crisis that obedience to the Chair of Peter is abrogated. You could perhaps, if you wish to be...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Our Catholic Identity
Pop over the Fr. Longenecker’s place and read his post: “All Are Welcome”
He rips the skin from the faux calls for diversity and multiculturalism and, especially, “gay” hollering we are force to hear so much.
I’m reminded of a gay activist … Continue reading
Julian Kwasniewski (any relation to…? Nah… couldn’t be…) interviewed Archp. Sample of Portland and the transcript of the interview is parked at NLM. The interview took place last June.
Archbp. Sample talks about why young people are attracted to traditional liturgical … Continue reading
The UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, has the text of a letter signed by 107 “young people” (18-35) in Scotland, to Archbp. Cushley of St Andrews and Edinburgh in Scotland.
Some of their statements are, I think, not what the riggers … Continue reading
I’ve written a few posts about the recent Consecration of the Abbey, and the Abbess, of Gower.
HERE and HERE
It was a terrific occasion, in the deepest sense of “terrific”.
There are now available hi-res photos of the events.
Also, the videos are … Continue reading
At Crisis there is an article which argues for the end of “reconciliation rooms”. I have always called them “lawsuit rooms”.
I’ve been arguing for this ever since I could argue anything. I think he over plays a particular issue but, hey!, … Continue reading
I received this Reflection on the Viganò Testimony by Bp. Schneider.
I read it aloud to help those who can’t always sit still to read on screens have access to the bishop’s reflection.
Reflection about the “Testimony” of Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò … Continue reading
I wrote about the dreadful vestments used at the World Meeting For Families 2018 in Ireland. HERE
You should read what Catholic artist Daniel Mitsui wrote about how artists were invited to submit designs for the vestments and how shabbily treated they … Continue reading
I saw this tweet from Ed Pentin:
Benedict XVI en route to Fatima 2010: “…today we are seeing it in a really terrifying way: that the greatest persecution of the Church comes not from her enemies without, but arises from sin … Continue reading
From a reader…
First, great blog, thanks for all your hard work and sharing your insights and knowledge!
Second, I have a question for you re: my niece and her new husband. I’ll be as brief and organized as I can.
My niece … Continue reading
In the older, traditional way of thinking about Holy Mass, when we celebrate a traditional Pontifical Mass, especially at the throne, we perceive the Mass as being the spiritual gathering of the entire diocese in that moment and place in … Continue reading
I had an eclectic mix playing and the windows down on my way to the Canon Law Conference that Card. Burke sponsors each year at the Shrine of Our Lady near La Crosse.
As I pulled in at my destination, the … Continue reading
“Whatsoever new and unheard-of doctrine you shall find to have been furtively introduced” is “permitted as a trial”.
When confusing things happen that leave people upset, legitimately, I have often written that that we should stay calm. This is for several reasons.
Each horrid thing that clerics do or strange thing they say is further proof that this is … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If something is in the Catechism, do I have to give in, believe it even though it is different from what the Catechism taught before?
I am getting questions from lots people about Pope Francis’ move to change the Church’s doctrine concerning capital punishment.
If this is in the Catechism, do I have to give in and believe it even though this is different from what … Continue reading
At Catholic World Report, Fr. Peter Stravinskas reacts to ongoing scandal. He has some suggestions about how to address the identity problem we have in the Church – that’s what it is, isn’t it! – along the lines of Catholic … Continue reading
The inimitable Fr. H today has a spiffing piece at his blog Mutual Enrichment. Let’s have a look.
Taking a breath
We are told that a certain sort of Novus Ordo cleric complains that the current 2010 English translation of the Roman Rite is … Continue reading