Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Charivari Rob: Fr. Kelly, I made no such suggestion . Please re-ead carefully. While acknowledg ing the possibilit y that a bishop could be petty/vind ictive/etc … as some commenters are...
- arga: In re Martin: poor Robby George got snookered. See his sad apologia at http://www .thepublic discourse. com/2018/0 6/21846/ in which he acknowledg es MartinR 17;s mistake in promot...
- maternalView: I am reading The First Society now. It is excellent. Anyone concerned about the current marriage and family crisis should read this book. I was afraid it might be a little dry....
- rdb: I studied with Fr. Jones and agree, he is a smart and holy priest. My favorite part of the article was, “It is a topsy-turv y argument, pitting younger traditiona lists, intent on...
- Benedictus: Hmmmm. I know Father Marko Djonovic, and he is one of the most solid priests I have ever met. He is a faithful priest. I am going to devote rosaries and fast for this oratory!
- SpesUnica: This seemed apropos: https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Favomancy
- SomeCatholicDude: I attended Mass yesterday at St. Peter, one of the CanonsR 17; other parishes, and there wasn’ ;t an announceme nt or note in the bulletin. But, it was the celebratio n...
- Semper Gumby: That door gunnerR 17;s shoulder patch reads: Making the Galaxy Great Again. Space Force spaceships should be stocked not only with barrels of salted beef and dried peas, but the...
- HvonBlumenthal: Psalm 50 offers a clarificat ion “Behold, I was shapen in wickedness , and in sin hath my mother conceived me.”
- Semper Gumby: God bless Fr. Heilman, ad multos annos!
- Clinton: Regarding Congresswo man Maxine WatersR 17; calls for Democrats to harass and assault members of the President& #8217;s administra tion, I find it telling that none of her fellow...
- Sawyer: Since God is the universal, first cause nothing in creation is outside the purview of his causal power. Nothing happens nor exists in the created order that is not somehow the result of...
- monstrance: Or maybe not so pernicious . The gloves are almost off, along with the mask. Fr Martín has been given a comfort zone. Who will disrupt it ? He also grossly twists scripture in his tweet...
- Fr. Kelly: The scandalous character of this decision to withhold faculties from Fr. Phillips after the investigat ion found him innocent of the things he was accused of can be seen from the comme...
- AA Cunningham: Disappoint ing that Father Phillips public faculties remain suspended. Fr. Phillips Not Allowed to Return to Public Ministry
- Gregg the Obscure: 1. “He must increase and i must decrease 8221; 2. the meaning of the name John 3. the last words of JtB in scripture, repeated at every Mass, are what his life and ours...
- Ame E.: Father said all the prophets before Saint John the Baptist basically pointed towards the coming of the Messiah. St. John is the only one who said, Ecce Agnus Dei. Here he is. And the...
- Gregg the Obscure: One wonders about the degree to which Fr. Phillips 8217; fate is influenced by recent news about Cardinal McCarrick and the allegation that another current Cardinal knew about...
- TonyO: No law transgress ed but no faculties. Could be that he was doing things which were suspicious …and while not technicall y breaking any law, they have deemed him to be dangerous, unsuita...
- JonPatrick: I attended both the Byzantine Divine Liturgy and the Extraordin ary Form of the Roman Rite which had the same homily, since our bi-ritual priest delivered both. Note that the birth of...
- timpr: Fr. Phillips is a very holy priest who has fallen victim to a great injustice. Countless priests have been falsely accused of wrongdoing when they were innocent of the accusation s made...
- maternalView: This whole fake news thing just makes me roll my eyes. As if that hasn’ ;t been going on for decades. Disinforma tion was par for the course for the Soviets and their minions. No...
- La Serenissima: At the Saturday evening Vigil Mass, our priest, here in Italy, linked the first reading from Jeremiah with Gabriel 217;s announceme nt to Zechariah … that “fro m the...
- maternalView: So wonderful! Close to tearing up as I read this. Inspiring! As laity it’s not to learn to go deeper into our faith too!
- maternalView: As to whether other questionab le issues may have came to light, would it not have been better and even more kind to the parishione rs to perhaps simply said Father will remain with...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: good summer reading
- Silly piece at Fishwrap aimed at the new Oratory in @DetroitCatholic
- What has the Left been up to? A few examples.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: ‘Na ciumacata! Daje!
- Your John the Baptist Sunday Sermon Notes
- 30 years a priest, 60th birthday – a priest’s first real Solemn Mass! Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Reuters and @PhilipPullella create fake news, pit Francis against Trump
- Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Patristiblogging
Here is a little Patristiblogger offering for your midday consideration.
This morning a priest friend and I were talking about the problems of leadership and being hated, loved, or feared.
Classic question: Is it better to be loved or feared?
Machiavelli had his … Continue reading
I will do more about this later, since I am in a moving bus, but this news got me worked up.
Some has discovered 29 unknown sermons of the 3rd century Alexandrian theologian Origen.
The intrepid Tornielli in Vatican Insider writes (sorry… … Continue reading
In rooting around in my things while writing an article for the paper, I found a great quote of Augustine.
For Augustine all created things in the universe, even inanimate things, both give witness to God and give Him glory.
“Respondent tibi … Continue reading
I am enjoying a break in my evening for a bit of frivolous entertainment. I was going to watch Bladerunner, but opted for something considerably lighter.
However, in a moment of post-modern self-conscious connection-making I’ll make a connection between this great … Continue reading
Long-time lax catholics may not enjoy the resection and sutures the physicians of the CDF and the USCCB are applying to certain groups within Holy Church, but, as St. Augustine once preached, a doctor doesn’t stop cutting just because the … Continue reading
From Serge Lancel’s Augustine, the best biography I know of the great Bishop of Hippo (p. 8 ff – emphases mine):
Before devoting himself entirely to Mother Church, as he approached the age of forty, Augustine had had a concubine for … Continue reading
The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you.
As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
“Receive the Holy … Continue reading
From a priest:
Do you know when exactly the formula for giving Communion to the faithful was changed?
In the Ordinary Form the minister says “Corpus Christi… The Body of Christ” and the communicant responds “Amen”.
In the Extraordinary … Continue reading
Today in Houston there was a presser with Card. DiNardo of Houston-Galveston and Msgr. Steenson the Ordinary of the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Peter.
Both men has good Patristic credentials.
Card. DiNardo is an alumus of my school, the Patristic … Continue reading
From Matins for today’s feast of St. John, Apostle and Evangelist, from the Breviarium Romanum:
V. Grant, Lord, a blessing.
Benediction. May the Spirit’s fire Divine in our hearts enkindled shine. Amen.
From the Commentary upon the Epistle to the Galatians, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Fr. Z, a priest friend of mine, Fr. “GS” wanted me to ask you about a Latin phrase that he thought he came across in The Wanderer. He is big a fan of your articles. At present he … Continue reading