This blog is NOT a "Safe Space" for catholic Snowflakes!
SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
GIFT FOR YOUR PRIESTS AND SEMINARIANS!
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for a new set of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- Nan said Father spiritual director has assigned me to do se...
- (X)MCCLXIII said Forgive my cynicism, but are not “sharing le...
- un-ionized said mtmajor, there is a website called therealpresence...
- mtmajor said Lovely – any Fr. John Hardon reading recomme...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay) said The Church is a family and not a business; yet in...
- MrsMacD said I’m not certain where this quote comes from...
- wanda said Thank you, Fr. Z. Pretty guitar at the end.
- MrsMacD said God allowed the whole post VII fiasco. He has a p...
- un-ionized said Matt Robare, Unfortunately, too often the admonish...
- Venerator Sti Lot said The original was first published in 1928, Eleanor...
- un-ionized said Nan, what does “discerning service” me...
- Ultrarunner said So off went the Emperor in procession under his sp...
- un-ionized said Nan, you appear to be on quite a winning streak. I...
- James in Perth said Oh my! I love it!
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Fr. John, There is a simple solution to your...
- Fr. John said Well, and true – yet easier said than done....
- L. said “If that’s the case…if Christ isn’t the Eter...
- Sonshine135 said I listened Father. Beautiful soundtrack by the way...
- greenlight said Whether shuffling priests around on a six-ish year...
- Facta Non Verba said Very good. Thanks Father!
- Cornelius said Here’s the only plausible reason (to me, tha...
- jameeka said Beautiful! Thank you. Amen.
- JabbaPapa said I am also highly doubtful that simple “yes o...
- JabbaPapa said IMO — First, multiple clarifications concern...
- asburyfox said Actually the Cuba Libre cocktail has lime juice. A...
- asburyfox said Someone added lime wedges and optional mint leaves...
- TUESDAY EDITION | Big Pulpit said […] Quæritur: Book Recommendations for Young...
- Nan said un-ionized, thank you for your kind words! Chicken...
- LeeF said I read Allen’s piece earlier today and thoug...
- ceich said I didn’t see a link to the article. Here it...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 6 Dec – St Nicholas: SNOWFLAKE ALERT! NOT A “SAFE SPACE”!
- ADVENTCAzT 10: Every person is a precious mystery…
- What makes a parish “great”?
- CRUX: An exercise in contrasts concerning ‘Amoris laetitia’
- Send snail-mail Christmas Cards to Fr. Z – 2016
- “People, Look East (except the priest)!”
- ADVENTCAzT 09: Everything can be sanctified
- Fidel’s Ignoble Exit and A Drink Suggestion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – WHITE
- ASK FATHER: Book recommendations for young men discerning priesthood
- ADVENTCAzT 08: Little drummer boys
- Veneral Sky Show
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Advent: LIONS!
- What marriage is and what it isn’t
- ADVENTCAzT 07: ‘If only things were different…”
- Leadership in the Church, Reading, and You (Fathers)
- Innovations which Vatican II did NOT call for, but which we got anyway.
- Anthony Esolen is under attack by Providence College
- ACTION ITEM! Petition in support of the Four Cardinals and Five Dubia
- ADVENTCAzT 06: Silence
- Just Too Cool: Measuring instruments altered by electromagnetic disturbances when placed on Christ’s tomb
- Douthat on The End of Catholic Marriage
- Confirmations in the Traditional Form of the Roman Rite
- IMPORTANT UPDATE – Dean of Rota: Pope could strip Four Cardinals of Cardinalate because of Five Dubia
- Ad orientem: “his perspective on the priesthood and the Mass has changed”
- ADVENTCAzT 05: Waiting… Hoping…
- For St. Andrew – Exsultet caelum laudibus
- BRICK BY BRICK: more ‘ad orientem’ news
- ADVENTCAzT 04: Suffering and Second Chances
- HOT Cyber Sales! 50% Off Sale On All Indulgences
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Category Archives: Pò sì jiù
It seems that Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion is complete. HERE You recall that Mickens was fired by The Tablet because of his horrid online denigration of Benedict XVI. HERE Recently, Archbp. Rino Fisichella announced a couple initiatives for the Year of Mercy to boost … Continue reading
This comes from the Cardinal Newman Society: Catholic Colleges Should Claim Title IX Exemptions, Says Newman Society President As Title IX interpretations have expanded to include discrimination policies grounded in gender theory, Catholic colleges should have no qualms about claiming … Continue reading
UPDATE 22 Jan: See the updates at the bottom. ___ ORIGINAL Published on: Jan 21, 2016 @ 10:42 ___ Today brought the news that the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments (CDW) was ordered by Pope Francis to … Continue reading
UPDATE 8 Dec 2015 GMT: I pulled up the live stream of the webcam over St. Peter’s Square. The facade of San Pietro… I am trying to imagine what St. Peter would think about this. Based on his anger toward … Continue reading
Why is it that when really weird things occur or bad ideas surface you can almost always find a Jesuit involved? I received this note from the Cardinal Newman Society this morning. So Fordham has approved the creation of “gender … Continue reading
From the Bollettino: Avviso di Briefing, 29.09.2015 [B0737] Si informano i giornalisti accreditati che venerdì 2 ottobre 2015, alle ore 11.30, nell’Aula Giovanni Paolo II della Sala Stampa della Santa Sede, il Cardinale Lorenzo Baldisseri, Segretario Generale del Sinodo dei … Continue reading
Synod Fatigue is sure to be setting in now, if it hasn’t already. Just wait. It’ll get worse. But you must stay focused. Don’t tune out Synod news. “But Father! But Father!”, some will say, “It’s all too much! I … Continue reading
On this anniversary of 9/11 I call to mind a post about the “Islamic Cultural Center” to be build near the site of the World Trade Center, but which was really a rabat, The first rabat appeared at the time … Continue reading
Remember ACORN? Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now It was morphed into all sorts of affiliated groups. It seems that ACORN is involved in the hate-promoting Black Lives Matter thing… and therefore, probably, killing cops. From the Washington Times or … Continue reading
From The Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter)… The Church should work with Big Business Abortion – Planned Parenthood. To them, I’m sure, this is reasonable. Sample: The Catholic church should partner with Planned Parenthood to reduce abortions After 40 years … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Ray Blake, PP in Brighton, made excellent comments about “manliness” on his blog. HERE I have been at a major church three times recently for some pretty important occasions, and each time only women read, and every time … Continue reading
Fr. Z kudos to His Excellency Most Rev. David D. Kagan, Bishop of Bismarck. From the diocesan website of Bismarck: Letter from Bishop: Decision on Boy Scouts of America August 3, 2015 Dear Faithful Catholics of the Diocese of Bismarck, … Continue reading
I received word of a conference coming up in Rome. The conference is clearly part of an organized effort to influence the proceedings of the upcoming Synod of Bishop on the family… and not in a good way. This … Continue reading
Detroit has many problems. Here is another. From ABC: Threats Force Satan Statue Unveiling to Secret Detroit Venue An 8½-foot-tall bronze monument featuring a goat-headed Satan will be unveiled at a secret, ticketed event in Detroit after the owner of … Continue reading
Once in a while it is good to be reminded that the oppression is still going on. Did you see the story about the “conservative” seminarians who were given the heave ho from Maynooth Seminary in Ireland? From Irish Catholic: A … Continue reading