Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
- Kathleen10: Heh, just wait til Vatican II gets beatified along with Paul VI. They’ ;re making it all but illegal, and if they can make it illegal, they will. Their intentions are perfec...
- Michaelus: This is how young people can change the world! It really happened: https://ww w.heraldo. es/noticia s/ocio-cul tura/2018/ 02/14/el-p regon-sant iago-compo stela-ofen dio-virgen -del-pi...
- Henry Edwards: The “Rec tor’ s shrineR 21;??? Thanks for letting us know how cordially our NATIONAL Shrine (aka “Ame rica’ ;s church) welcomes TLM priests. Good to remem...
- Father Totton: I experience d a similar challenge recently at the Shrine. I was in DC back in October and I had requested ahead of time to offer a private Mass in the Lourdes Chapel (I didn...
- adriennep: The spectacula r G. A. Henty (spelled with a t) novels come highly recommende d by homeschool families with boys. They are written before 1900 but so dense and historical ly accurate. He...
- Lucas: jbazchicag o: He is definitely a priest looking for advancemen t, I’m sure he’l l get it sooner rather than later. Fr Z: I’m not surprised about your issues. There was...
- JamesA: “Dr. H. D’um py” ? (Insert uproarious laughter) Excellent. If His Excellency insists there is no rupture, then that means the age-old teaching of the Church is unchang...
- momoften: I homeschool . I have been for about 20 years. I am not perfect at it. I am not a teacher. I know what I do want for my kids. I want the best mass, best churches I can go to in the city I...
- Joy65: How very sad. This hurts my heart. Whether one or 1000 or more each deserves the Adoration and reverence of Our Lord. Praying that in the future this situation will be thought about ahead of...
- Fr.JP: When St JPII visited NZ in 1986 and a large outdoor Mass was held in Christchur ch at the then Lancaster Park, a similar thing happened – too many hosts consecrate d – but...
- bobbird: This was texted to me by a fellow retired teacher: Young Girl: “Dea r God, why do you permit these terrible school shootings to take place?R 21; God: “I 8217;m sorry, but...
- bcstudent: I think that there are certain evangelica l benefits from having public mega-Masse s. When roads are closed or stadiums are filled with practicing Catholics praying the Holy Mass it is a...
- Grateful to be Catholic: A Pontifical Solemn Mass according to the Missal of 1962 will be celebrated at the High Altar of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on April...
- David L Alexander: I understand there is a specific chapel (Our Lady of Lourdes) that is used for the TLM. It has its own very small sacristy with suitable vestments and other accoutreme nt. I...
- wmeyer: As to paper vs. Kindle, I think it an excellent idea to give real books to the children. First, because the experience of the book, and freedom from other distractio ns, is part of the...
- HeatherPA: This makes my heart sink, worrying about the Lord being subject to sacrilege because they didn’t use prudence or want to upset anyone over poor attendence ? I truly hope that His Sacred...
- John UK: Don’ t get me started, Father! 1) I understand that when JPII celebrated on Pontcanna Fields in Cardiff on his papal visit so many Hosts were over-conse crated that that they were...
- GypsyMom: My husband and I run a small homeschool “co- op” using an accredited Catholic classical curriculum . The materials are solid and trustworth y, and the students get a good...
- Semper Gumby: I agree with other commenters about reading aloud, printed books over screens at that age, and reading Tolkien first before viewing those movies. MacCheese: For a 10 year-old boy, a...
- Jim Dorchak: Yep it was all on the news here in Chile that no one was attending Masses held by the Holy Father Our Pope Francis while he was here in Chile. Here there is a saying; Pope Who?
- Winfield: In light of this inexcusabl y shabby treatment — and just plain lack of manners — it will be some time before I make another donation to the Shrine. [I must RUSH to repeat...
- HeatherPA: This is an uncomforta ble topic for me because of the conflict I feel about it. I live in a rural area. We have pretty crappy public schools that have went the way of the world, and...
- Semper Gumby: Amen. And God bless the Holy Name Society of the NYPD.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Pò sì jiù
These days I get a lot of email asking me to explain what is going on in the Church today. The question is often accompanied by heart-felt, often heart-rending words of personal pain.
What is going on the Church is is … Continue reading
Both the up-ticket and down-ticket races this election are important. For me, an overriding issue is appointments to the SCOTUS and judiciary. Next, and related to it, is to halt the erosion of our civil rights. One of the rights … Continue reading
From the Washington Examiner comes this sad sea story:
Navy drops historic job titles following gender-neutral study
The Navy is dropping all 89 of its historic job titles for enlisted sailors following a review sparked by the decision to open all job specialties … Continue reading
I was alerted by a reader about this sad development via Portale Italradio:
Vatican Radio to leave Short Wave for Daily Mass and Rosary
No more short waves for two of the most followed liturgical broadcasts of Vatican Radio. As from 1 … Continue reading
This entry has a convoluted origin, but here goes…
I saw a story at Stream about a lesbian couple who are suing New Jersey, which is oppressing them. Get this…
Erin and Marianne Krupa, a lesbian couple struggling to get pregnant due … Continue reading
At the fine Crisis there is a good analysis piece which looks into what the pro-women’s ordination crowd do to push their agenda: dialogue.
I think we’ve all seen how this works: libs demand something – authority says “No” – they violate … Continue reading
A few inflammatory points by way of introduction.
First, there are those who say that many of the problems in the Church today can be traced back to the influence of a kind of “jansenism” impressed during formation in seminaries way back in … Continue reading
I have written in the past of my grudging respect for Camille Paglia. Although I definitely am on the other side of the fence than she is on a number of issues, she is smart, honest, and writes beautifully (unlike … Continue reading
We saw that the Sistine Chapel was rented out to Porsche.
We had the projections of critters on the facade of the Vatican Basilica.
Now we have rock music in, again, the Sistina.
U2’S THE EDGE BECOMES FIRST ROCK STAR TO PLAY … Continue reading
Hans Küng is deeply impressed with Pope Francis.
He has issued a plea to Francis to open a discussion about the dogma of infallibility with a view of overturning it. Küng, by the way, thinks that Vatican II didn’t go nearly … Continue reading
How stupid do things have to get before we either come to our senses and start behaving normally or have violent whiplashes?
From CBS in Philly.
Catholic League Wrestler Will Not Wrestle Girl In District Tournament
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — After the Philadelphia Archdiocese … Continue reading
From a reader…
A local Protestant affiliated hospital in my city hosted a so-called WomanPriest recently. She purported to confect the Eucharist in their chapel. This “event” received zero publicity (to my surprise). The usual small gaggle of grey haired unitarian-ish … Continue reading
One of these days horrible things will start happening because of the blurring of sex and the because of the sick and twisted “gender” re-engineering that is going. We are hurtling toward the brink.
Could it soon be illegal for … Continue reading
It seems that Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion is complete.
You recall that Mickens was fired by The Tablet because of his horrid online denigration of Benedict XVI. HERE
Recently, Archbp. Rino Fisichella announced a couple initiatives for the Year of Mercy to boost confessions and to … Continue reading
This comes from the Cardinal Newman Society:
Catholic Colleges Should Claim Title IX Exemptions, Says Newman Society President
As Title IX interpretations have expanded to include discrimination policies grounded in gender theory, Catholic colleges should have no qualms about claiming constitutionally-protected exemptions, … Continue reading
UPDATE 22 Jan: See the updates at the bottom.
___ ORIGINAL Published on: Jan 21, 2016 @ 10:42 ___
Today brought the news that the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments (CDW) was ordered by Pope Francis to issue a … Continue reading
UPDATE 8 Dec 2015 GMT:
I pulled up the live stream of the webcam over St. Peter’s Square.
The facade of San Pietro…
I am trying to imagine what St. Peter would think about this.
Based on his anger toward priests who misused sacred … Continue reading