Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: I did not read all the other comments, this subject matter causes me too much anxiety and I should generally not discuss it here.
- Kenneth Wolfe: September 26 is a third class feast on the 1962 calendar, the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions in the U.S., and Saints Cyprian and Justina universall y (commemora ted in the...
- Kathleen10: I doubt the Synod organizers think young people want or need the changes they inflict. They are following the plan they have had roiling around in their heads for quite some time now....
- un-ionized: Elizabeth, you’ re allowed to use your brain. I have been through a lot of trials about Mary even though she was the one who brought me into the Church and I certainly wouldn&...
- crjs1: luciavento I think it highly dependant on location. In Scotland where I am my experience is similar to yours in that the most liberal parishes have by far the largest congregati ons (on...
- mwa: There is a passage in JudithR 17;s Marriage (by Bryan Houghton) which lays out very nicely this 2way nature of tradition. It is spoken by an old man who has just come to believe the truth...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Elizabeth D, I imagine that many young women would have the same quandaries you had in understand ing why Mary’s virginity is something special, given how society underst...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, I would agree to an edit of “suspended ” I didn’ ;t really claim more than that here, so: accepted. Please don’ t mind my observatio n that the “...
- Thorfinn: The FSSPX has 65 new seminarian s vs. 637 current priests. The FSSP has 39 new seminarian s vs. 287 current priests. The ICRSS has 22 new seminarian s vs. 114 current priests. (“...
- JohnE: Poor kid. The difficulty for him ever becoming a Supreme Court judge just skyrockete d.
- SpesUnica: “sus pended for the time being,R 21; is not, at this moment in history, really different from saying “for the foreseeabl e future. 221; That isn’ t something I am...
- luciavento: I still do not see personally the TLM out pacing attendance at liberal NO Masses. The two most highly attended Masses I attended recently were at churches where the tabernacle was not...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, it falls into the area of the claims of the SSPX that the church is in such a crisis that obedience to the Chair of Peter is abrogated. You could perhaps, if you wish to be...
- Imrahil: As to the article posted by the dear ProfKwasni ewski, I am rather critical about this canonizati on myself (though I don’ t doubt St. Paul VI’s being in Heaven, now the Church...
- SpesUnica: I find myself in agreement with DiPippo (“Wh at does the Canonizati on of Paul VI Mean for the Liturgy and Liturgical Reform? 221;) [tldr; Nothing], and in disagreeme nt with...
- Uxixu: One decent feature of the 1969-1970 Pauline calendar is the idea of local feastsR 30; unfortunat ely tainted by too many other innovation s. After St. Pius V, way too many 16th and 17th...
- Spinmamma: The true losers in all of this were the two terrified children. My view of this woman is that she has serious mental health issues, inflamed by the #metoo movement. Personally I thought...
- LeeGilbert: Peter Kwasniewsk i writes, “Why is the reader so certain that Paul VI is a saint, and that praying publicly to him would not be a sin?” ; Perhaps, PK, it is because the...
- Titus: The two hats in that photo belonged to Cards. O’Boyle and Hickey. This is what I would have thought. +Baum was buried in the cathedral in Washington but wasn’ ;t the archbishop at the...
- zama202: As an attorney weighing the totality of the evidence – the spiritual and liturgical state of most (not all) NO parishes – and the spiritual and liturgical state of the SSPX...
- Geoffrey: Perhaps the questioner wishes to promote unity and reconcilia tion by incorporat ing Saint John XXIII, Saint Paul VI, or Saint John Paul II into the extraordin ary form of the Roman Rite....
- Imrahil: Note: Whether or not canonizati ons are infallible , as the traditiona l, but apparently with some reasons questioned stand is, one thing is clear that if they are infallible , there is...
- The Egyptian: dear supertradm om I do not attend a SSPX chapel there is none anywhere near me, however, some of the “cat holic̶ 1; masses I have attended were almost not “...
- Elizabeth D: I want to comment i am sorry if I distressed anyone and do not want to disrespect Mary or anyone
- Elizabeth Rose: Having read the article on onepeterfi ve, and the other article linked there, I am very confused about the infallibil ity of canonizati ons. I always thought they were infallible ,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Priests and Priesthood
The demographics of the Church are on the move, at least in these USA. We will, in the next few years, witness a dramatic drop in numbers of those who bother with the Church at all. Everything will have to … Continue reading
I really enjoyed this email, which is a kind of visual testimony about priesthood.
Please allow me to share with you a photo I think you will enjoy.
Last week, while in Rome, I took the opportunity to buy a new biretta … Continue reading
A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal:
State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA
In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June 15, 2018), the … Continue reading
A story about St. Luke’s: “I have seen wonderful moments of grace there; priests and Religious who limped in, who left healed.”
The other day I posted about how bishops have used “psychological evaluation” as a weapon against conservative and traditional priests. At the time I acknowledged that some priests really do need help. Along with the horror stories I have received … Continue reading
St. Joseph’s Apprentice has made beautiful, practical portable altars for me and for many priests.
I have called his portable altars “the ultimate gift for a priest”. I have one that I can travel with, using a Pelican case, that houses … Continue reading
The horror stories are pouring in from priests who have been through The Psych Strike Gambit by their bishops or superiors. Here is one, with some detail, which I have permission to post and which I have anonymized. His … Continue reading
It doesn’t surprise me even as it surprised me. I am ever amazed at the response I get from readers in certain circumstances, even as I have, over time, learned to expect it.
Since I posted about Fr. Kalchik, and … Continue reading
What I am about to post, read carefully.
Over the last few months I have been contacted by diocesan priests (and a religious) who were being sent by their bishops (superior) to be “evaluated” at one of these psych clinics for … Continue reading
A few days ago I posted about receiving holy cards of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy. HERE
Since them, I have been in close contact with the nice lady who made them and we have improved the cards.
The artwork on … Continue reading
For a while I have had a link on the sidebar, with the image of the beautiful holy card of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy, to a page with a Daily Prayer For Priests.
I would be pleased and consoled … Continue reading
These days I have received numerous emails from lay people and priests alike describing what priests, especially, are doing in their parishes in regard to The Present Crisis.
Many priests are standing up in pulpits and making good statements and offering … Continue reading
A priest friend of mine sent a link to a piece at his site: Padre Peregrino.
I think he over estimates the number of priests who are homosexual. However, I will agree that the percentage is probably higher among bishops and, … Continue reading
My old friend Fr. Robert Altier, back in my native place, gave a sermon last Sunday, 19 August, which is worth your while.
Fr. Altier and I were in seminary together, though he was a couple years ahead of me.
There is a Roman document which deals with formation of seminarians: “Ratio fundamentalis institutionis sacerdotalis”
A priest wrote (slightly edited):
Hi Fr, great post on the abuse issues, thank you.
I have written up an argument for adding to the RatioFIS the requirement … Continue reading
Recently, I’ve written about some things that bishops and priests should do in this crisis time. I’ve also made suggestions to lay people about things they can do.
However, there is one thing that lay people can do… especially lay women… … Continue reading