Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Amerikaner: Hey Fishwrap – thanks again for the good laugh. Better than The Onion! ROFL!
- frjimt: new years suggestion : sponsor a contest to rename the fish wrap… ; e. g. Nothing Catholic to Report: No Catholic Reporters: … things that might earn fr z another coveted slap...
- Gaetano: Father, please post a warning about the need to put down any beverages one is drinking before reading a post like that. As it is, you nearly cost me a new keyboard. As for MSW, the immor...
- grumpyoldCatholic: We need more traditiona l Masses. I wish I could go more often. My nearest Mass is 130 miles one way. The saddest part is all the diocesan leaders won’ t give it a try. I...
- e.e.: @OrangeBlo ssom You seem to be closer to this parish than I am, so I’ll ask you. Is it true that Bedford school district has had 3 suicides of students and 1 suicide of a recent gradu...
- Hidden One: I agree sadly and completely with the insightful account of the problem. Still, I’m not so sure that some of us who are afflicted by it, myself included, would not need still more...
- JMody: Well, well – our relationsh ips are what define us, after all. And as for the accuracy of the Heavenly Fire Direction Center, recently some archaeolog ists had this to say: https:/...
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- KateD: Solid homily. Anytime I see a pastor suffering for bringing the Word to the people, feeding HIS sheep as commanded to do, I look for God’ s action in it all… .it’ s always...
- JonPatrick: Thanks Fr. Z. Following only one calendar and attending only one liturgy – I wish. Currently I find myself following 3 calendars – Traditiona l, Novus Ordo, and Eastern...
- Ms. M-S: Thank you, Father Z. This passage crystalize d thoughts that had been roiling formlessly around for some time. Now I see that the hours we spend driving to the TLM on Sundays are less an...
- Nan: I have twice seen a priest chase down someone who walked away without consuming. It isn’ t an issue at my Byzantine church since we receive both species on the tongue, by spoon. I̵...
- Nan: I assume you used your indoor drill sergeant voice?
- otsowalo: I had a discussion with an OFM “fri end,” ; and he kept on harping that the priest was abusing his authority, and he should be lumped together with clergy sex offenders. I was...
- monstrance: Looking at the city scape – What is that Ginormass structure on the right ?
- Andy_P: Funny, that not two days ago I wrote the parish pastor and associate pastor about abuses like this. There was some guy acting weird as Mass last Sunday and I saw he received in the hand but...
- Andy_P: Reading all which you posted Fr. I’d echo 1) the lack of catechesis of the parents and 2) their conscience s did not like what those words, which to me were very generous, were making...
- Benedict Joseph: In the final analysis this pontificat e critiques itself with its cast of characters . To that extent only it is entirely unambiguou s and without artifice.
- Kathleen10: Chris P. Many, many thanks for that. A thing of beauty.
- OldProfK: Another data point indicating that good satire is no longer possible. Father Guido Sarducci at L’Osservat ore Romano would now be an improvemen t.
- stuart reiss: And as in the former Soviet Union they used to say; there’s no truth in Isvestia (news) and no news in Pravda (truth). And so in L’Osservat ore Romano nothing occurs: and in Avven...
- jflare29: “Not acceptable yet you reject a viable solution.& #8221; I’ve already explained that I don’ t consider it a viable solution, AA. I have never seen ushers stand guard...
- arga: The priests who dreamed this up should be locked in a room and forced to listen to “Tas te and See,” ; played continuous ly for 72 hours.
- Fr_Sotelo: Under #2 of the second full paragraph, the correct quote is “We must NOT call what is bad good… ;”
- Fr_Sotelo: FatherR 17;s homily was theologica lly sound, no doubt. But as a matter of prudence, it was a fail. The loss of a child, especially so young, occasions an unspeakabl e grief in the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fishwrap’s MSW v. EWTN – paragon of self-parody
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 18: The damage liturgical ‘expertise’ has done to us!
- More news from Rome concerning communications
- My View For Awhile: Penultimate Edition
- Development of Doctrine? Fr. Hunwicke breaks it down barney style.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 17: Conscience and You
- ASK FATHER: Even after continuous sacrileges, Bishop forces Communion in the hand
- A Rorate Mass for UW students
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head – UPDATE – HOMILY TEXT
- 17 Dec: St. Daniel and the Furnace Boys
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 16: O Antiphons
- Advent Penance Service Idiocy
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Priests and Priesthood
There is a good piece at Crisis today about the Sacrament of Penance. It touches on many issues, including availability of confession times, some poorly formed confessors who don’t acknowledge certain sins as sins, and the lack of support some … Continue reading
Once again this year I offer short daily podcasts to help you prepare for the upcoming feast as well as for your own, personal, meeting with the Lord.
Here is ADVENTCAzT 05, for Thursday of the 1st Week of Advent.
These 5 … Continue reading
Two recent pieces about the late, great Extraordinary Ordinary, Bishop Robert C. Morlino of Madison, tell you a great deal about the man, who was misunderstood by many – purposely in the case of quite a few.
First, there is a … Continue reading
The Fishwrap sure lived up to its name this time. Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) has gushy piece about a reunion of old men who were seminarians of class 1966 at the Pontifical North American College in Rome. The arrived in Rome in … Continue reading
From a reader…
What’s the deal with priests carrying their emergency cellphone on them? [Hmmm… I don’t know what the deal is!] I was disturbed to learn that our priest doesn’t keep it with him. When I asked him about it … Continue reading
Okay, that meant Msgr. Charles Pope of the Archdiocese of Washington DC. He writes about the third Viganò Testimony HERE.
As I finished reading Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò’s third letter, I had an immediate sense that I had just read … Continue reading
The demographics of the Church are on the move, at least in these USA. We will, in the next few years, witness a dramatic drop in numbers of those who bother with the Church at all. Everything will have to … Continue reading
I really enjoyed this email, which is a kind of visual testimony about priesthood.
Please allow me to share with you a photo I think you will enjoy.
Last week, while in Rome, I took the opportunity to buy a new biretta … Continue reading
A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal:
State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA
In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June 15, 2018), the … Continue reading
A story about St. Luke’s: “I have seen wonderful moments of grace there; priests and Religious who limped in, who left healed.”
The other day I posted about how bishops have used “psychological evaluation” as a weapon against conservative and traditional priests. At the time I acknowledged that some priests really do need help. Along with the horror stories I have received … Continue reading
St. Joseph’s Apprentice has made beautiful, practical portable altars for me and for many priests.
I have called his portable altars “the ultimate gift for a priest”. I have one that I can travel with, using a Pelican case, that houses … Continue reading
The horror stories are pouring in from priests who have been through The Psych Strike Gambit by their bishops or superiors. Here is one, with some detail, which I have permission to post and which I have anonymized. His … Continue reading
It doesn’t surprise me even as it surprised me. I am ever amazed at the response I get from readers in certain circumstances, even as I have, over time, learned to expect it.
Since I posted about Fr. Kalchik, and … Continue reading
What I am about to post, read carefully.
Over the last few months I have been contacted by diocesan priests (and a religious) who were being sent by their bishops (superior) to be “evaluated” at one of these psych clinics for … Continue reading
A few days ago I posted about receiving holy cards of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy. HERE
Since them, I have been in close contact with the nice lady who made them and we have improved the cards.
The artwork on … Continue reading