Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Joy65: Asking every single martyr who died for the Catholic Faith/Chur ch to intercede and pray for our Catholic Church today, ALL Priests, Religious Brothers and Sisters, Deacons, Seminarian s,...
- Evovae: Julia_Augu sta: I think you’re right to be angry and frustrated at the double-sta ndard on sexuality, and I agree that the church should speak out more and more forcefully on the duties...
- chantgirl: TonyO- Most couples who follow the ChurchR 17;s moral code and are open to life find that they cannot afford Catholic school tuition for their children anyway, especially if the...
- Benedict Joseph: A sobering memory. Today is also the 224th anniversar y of the martyrdom of the Blessed Carmelites of Compiegne. Their assent to the guillotine spelled the terminus of the Reign of...
- Kathleen10: What a world of confusion. What a pity the Church has schizophre nia, otherwise it would demand the word “Cat holic̶ 1; be taken off that rag. But as it is the Church often...
- Sandy: Dr. Robert Moynihan had an excellent article on this a couple of days ago. There is an excerpt from a new book. https://ww w.townandc ountrymag. com/leisur e/arts-and -culture/a 2193961...
- jhayes: Vetusta, Nicholas did abdicate but Michael did not accept to become Czar. So, Nicholas was the last Czar. It’s a complicate d story but you can find it in Kerensky 8217;s book. HERE
- Nan: He and his family, together with servants who died with them, are New Martyrs of Russia, first canonized by the Orthodox Church of America. He paid for rebuilding of the Russian Ortho...
- MrsMacD: Kerry; I love, love, love what David Warren wrote. So true. Poor people are happy. Poor people are humble. Poor people are generous. Stop scorning poor people. Stop scorning poverty. St....
- Semper Gumby: JesusFreak 84, Kerry, et al: Good points. Per Fr. Z, hopefully these people will repent and this “new spaperR 21; will be left on the ash-heap of history. The Fishwrap these...
- jhayes: Here are film clips of Czar Nicholas. The background music is the national anthem of that time. HERE
- JustaSinner: Christ’s Will, will prevail. Will there be sacrifice, pain and suffering? Of course; are we not called to emulate Him? His suffering on Calvary foreshadow s our suffering for not...
- JustaSinner: Individual Conscience ? Is this the Lefts’ own Catholic version of privacy in Roe v. Wade?
- Antonin: Trump and Putin showed how mature, responsibl e leaders should behave in a civil manner working together where they can and respecting and working through difference s. The Russs...
- Simon_GNR: As a Briton I’m ashamed to say that the Russian royal family were offered asylum in Great Britain after the Tsar had abdicated and the Bolsheviks had taken power, but the offer was...
- Andrew: Suburbansh e: “If we went back to pre-Trent practices of laypeople fasting from sex during all fasting times…. ” Also to married individual s abstaining from sex for at least...
- vetusta ecclesia: A letter in The Times (London) today points out that Nicholas II was not the last czar – he had abdicated in March 1917 in favour of his younger brother Michael, Michael II.
- Elizabeth D: Thank you Fr Kelly. I can imagine different reactions to things I wrote here. Most seemed to understand my intentions to be Good News. I do feel like I want to say my spiritual direc...
- APX: Jesusfreak , While sexual assault would not automatica lly disqualify a woman as no longer being a virgin, the long term psychologi cal trauma that results from such events very well could...
- teachermom24: The best marriage prep I have found is from a celibate priest, Karol Wojtyla, in his book Love and Responsibi lity.
- Greg Hlatky: Always nice to see priests looking priestly.
- TonyO: The number of children being born to practicing Catholics will outstrip those being born to liberals. True. But not as telling a point as we could wish: it is not only the family you are...
- TonyO: I don’ t know what country Julia_Augu sta comes from, but it sure wasn’ ;t the United States. In the States, the heavy-beat mantra (in earlier days) on men was to provide for...
- JesusFreak84: *indictmen ts sorry for spelling
- jhayes: Fr. Kelly wrote: I ask you, upon what evidence do you say that these three are not the same woman? In her liturgy and teaching of the Father, the Church has very much identified them for...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Religious Liberty
Looking At Danger: Justice Kennedy, SCOTUS, and Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission
Today at Crisis there is a good summary piece about the complicity of catholic Justice Anthony Kennedy with the secularist Left and about the recent SCOTUS decision in the matter of Masterpiece Cakeshop, LTD v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, which probably left … Continue reading
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
You must rush to read the whole of Robert Royal’s latest column. HERE
I preface it with a reminder that I posted a tongue in check call to arms that wasn’t really tongue in cheek at all. HERE
Here’s the pattern that … Continue reading
One of you readers caught this and posted in the combox.
To submit a reply to Archbishop Chaput’s column, the anti-spam quiz currently is “What is 2 plus 2?” Very shrewd. This will prevent Fr. Antonio “2+2=5” Spadaro from leaving a … Continue reading
At Crisis there is a masterful explanation of the most recent US Supreme Court decision which upheld (7-2) religious liberty.
On days like today, we need some GOOD news.
I won’t do anything with it here. You should go there and read … Continue reading
Danish Man who Set Fire to Quran Charged with Blasphemy
A man who burned the Islamic holy book in his backyard has been charged with blasphemy, in a move his lawyer speculates was driven by fear of Muslim extremists. The … Continue reading
Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager John Podesta’s emails were hacked. We see behind the scenes. We see what they think of Catholics and the Church. They are simply dreadful.
I found a video commentary by Fr. Robert Sirico about what the Clinton campaign … Continue reading
As baptized Catholics we have a role and work to do in the world, each according to our vocations. We must affect change… as Catholics. How can we imagine that we can do that if we don’t have a clear … Continue reading
From the Detroit News:
A balanced budget in Detroit might be something only prayed for, but few could imagine Motor City managers raiding church offering plates for revenue.
Yet new drainage fees from the city’s Water and Sewerage Department may do just … Continue reading
Now that “gay” (I hate that word now) rights are secured, thanks to a feckless few unelected justices on the SCOTUS, the next barriers to be broken down are, first, polygamy, and then pedophilia.
I saw at Crux …
Italian Islamic leader … Continue reading
This makes me angry.
From Independent Sentinel:
Historic Church Turned Into a Mosque with Taxpayer Funding
Muslims are converting a former Roman Catholic church into mosque. The plan, approved by US Conference of Catholic Bishops, Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board, is funded by U.S. … Continue reading
One of the most significant points of conflict between the SSPX and the Holy See has been the issue of the document of Vatican II Nostra aetate, the Declaration on the Relation of the Church with Non-Christian Religions.
Over the years, I’ve … Continue reading
Valencia’s Card. Cañizares persecuted for defending nature, common sense against “gender theory”, homosexualist agenda
UPDATE 23 June:
Via Crux 2.0
Spanish cardinal who denounced ‘gay empire’ cleared of hate speech
ROME-A judge in Spain ruled on Thursday that a cardinal denouncing an attack against the Christian family by a “gay empire” was not, simply by virtue of … Continue reading
PODCAzT 142: It’s Nazi Germany, it’s 1937, you are Catholic, and you are afraid. Mit brennender Sorge!
Fr. John Hunwicke, at his fine blog Mutual Enrichment, reminds us all that on this liturgical day, Monday of Holy Week, in 1937…
… the Gestapo raided diocesan offices and presbyteries all over Germany. The previous day, Palm Sunday, when the churches were … Continue reading