Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: And, by the way: in all that, a priest should be automatica lly disqualifi ed from considerat ion if the bishop receives from the people letters about him that he does not teach ortho...
- David WS: Contracept ion http://www .therealpr esence.org /archives/ Chastity/C hastity_00 4.htm – is fatal to the Faith. First, widespread contracept ion and unbelief in the Real Presence go...
- TonyO: It’s my understand ing that in medieval times the Kings of England chose who would be bishops in their realm and the pope had little to do with it. The kings of France also claimed rights of...
- JonPatrick: @semperGum by, unfortunat ely the Cubs will lose to the Red Sox in game 5 of the World Series as Chris Sale repeating his stellar performanc e in game 1 at Fenway Park, mows down the...
- Gab: Bon voyage, Fr Z. Wish you a most excellent journey.
- JonPatrick: The betrayal of the Chinese Catholics has convinced me that there is truly a diabolical element at work in our Church. No one can believe they are truly that naive to believe the...
- uptoncp: A mediaeval English vacancy in see typically resulted in a three way tussle as King, Pope, and Cathedral Chapter all claimed the right to nominate, and any one of the three might win. At...
- tamranthor: Cupich is putting the lie to the old “wis dom” about the Catholic Church persecutin g homosexual s. He has certainly turned the tables. Now it is the faithful who are...
- Fr_Andrew: Gloves are primarily to avoid soiling the metal which often takes fingerprin ts, but not to facilitate the touching of sacred vessels. Clerics and those who have charge of the vessels...
- maternalView: Bless Fr. Kalchik! CupichR 17;s letter is revealing himself for what he is. While this must be extremely hard for Fr. Kalchik it is a good thing because it’s unmask...
- mibethda: There is a distinctio n between a chalice and paten, which are consecrate d only by a bishop or other person with the faculty to do so (see Canon 1169, CCL), and a ciborium, pyx or...
- pac76: Father Z, That photo looks like it’s from WWII Europe, is that correct? Secondly, do you know anything about copyright? I may like to make a print of it for use in my classroom.
- MrsMacD: “I am the devil.R 21; Wow. Did he say that? “Eve rything I say is doctrine.& #8221; Chuckle.
- WmHesch: @APX- gloves would not be appropriat e at all. In fact, when the Holy See mandated use of the communion paten in 1929, it was presuppose d that communican ts would pass the plate to each...
- mcferran: This article provides some historical and legal background : http://blo g.adw.org/ 2011/11/ho w-somethin g-we-consi der-solidl y-traditio nal-was-on ce-thought -as-strang ely-pro...
- CaliCatholicGuy: Father preached on sin and the devil – saying unlike the movies the devil doesn’t appear as a big bogeyman but is smarter than that – he will appear in little voices...
- David: Tu dixisti.
- APX: How does it work then, even the handles patens, when the servers receive communion kneeling and pass it to the person beside them and hold it under their chin? Gloves seem a bit impractica l.
- Benedict Joseph: The broken clock is right twice a day. No attempt at correction was required at that moment.
- Ben Kenobi: Cupich must go. Even before this incident he was already on the list of the cardinals in the US (including Wuerl and McCarrick, and a few others). God works in mysterious ways. I am...
- e.davison49: FatherZ. Didn’ ;t you say a little while ago that the Devil always says what he is doing? The Devil can’ t hide his horns? This sounds a little like that.
- WmHesch: In pre-Vatica n II practice, the server patens were typically not consecrate d- just as the housing cloths were typically blessed as sacred linens. Both could theoretica lly “hold the...
- Nicholas: Today is also my birthday. One day, in high school Latin class, I walked in and saw “happy birthday” written on the board. I was amazed that my teacher remembered my birthday. My mistake...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: “Ame rican Catholics for an American Catholic Church! 221; No, thanks. This American Catholic wants the Church establishe d by the Galilean who said, “...
- Julia_Augusta: Father Z., I wonder if the mausoleum of Augustus, which lies across Ara Pacis, has been restored or even cleaned up in any way. When I visited Ara Pacis 3 years ago, the mausol...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Religious Liberty
PODCAzT 142: It’s Nazi Germany, it’s 1937, you are Catholic, and you are afraid. Mit brennender Sorge!
Fr. John Hunwicke, at his fine blog Mutual Enrichment, reminds us all that on this liturgical day, Monday of Holy Week, in 1937…
… the Gestapo raided diocesan offices and presbyteries all over Germany. The previous day, Palm Sunday, when the churches were … Continue reading
From Live Action News:
Obama nominee Garland sided against Priests for Life in contraception mandate case
As Americans attempt to discern the views of Judge Merrick Garland, President Barack Obama’s nominee to replace Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court, the Washington … Continue reading
From CNS comes this notice about a petition.
Jesuit-run (who else) Georgetown University – which covered up the Holy Name when the pro-abortion, anti-freedom POTUS Obama visited – has invited big-business abortion tycoon Cecile Richards, CEO of abortion-industry leader Planned Parenthood.
The … Continue reading
Have you followed at all the court battle in Louisiana concerning the Seal of Confession and obligation to report certain crimes?
A Louisiana judge has ruled unconstitutional a new state law requiring priests to report sexual abuse that is mentioned … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows, Gabriel Possenti, according to the calendar of the Novus Ordo. In the older, traditional Missal we find that 28 February was given to him. 27 February is … Continue reading
From the Becket Fund For Religious Liberty:
The world watched while the Pope, during his US tour, made a surprise visit to the Sisters “in support of the Sisters’ legal fight.” As you may know, on Holy Wednesday, March 23, … Continue reading
This comes from the Cardinal Newman Society:
Catholic Colleges Should Claim Title IX Exemptions, Says Newman Society President
As Title IX interpretations have expanded to include discrimination policies grounded in gender theory, Catholic colleges should have no qualms about claiming constitutionally-protected exemptions, … Continue reading
In addition to Boxing Day, and the day good King Wenceslaus went out, it is the feast of St Stephen. I hope all your snow is neat and crisp and even.
St. Stephen’s feast has been celebrated this day since the earliest … Continue reading
I have learned from the Catholic education watchdog group Cardinal Newman Society (see their feed on the sidebar of this blog) that Thomas Aquinas College has opted to NOT to knuckle under to the threats of the Obama Administration regarding ObamaTax … Continue reading
Look… Pope’s meet with all sorts of people. That said, I direct your attention to a piece at USA Today by Nichols Hahn of Real Clear Religion. My emphases.
Havana’s U.S. flag no victory for pope: Column
Secretary of State John Kerry’s historic flag-raising … Continue reading
At HPR Fr. Regis Scalon, OFM.Cap. has a good piece which might be sent to ever parish priest who seeks to force people not to kneel during Mass.
Here is the introductory section:
Kneeling Ban: Good Liturgy or Loss of Religious Freedom?
Some … Continue reading
Once again this year, the Speculum Iustitiae Conference for canon and civil lawyers will be held at the beautiful Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe near LaCrosse.
If you haven’t been to the Shrine, you are in for a treat.
Raymond Card. Burke … Continue reading
Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent.
From Catholic World News:
President Obama will be keynote speaker at Catholic Health Association convention
President Barack Obama will deliver the closing address to the annual assembly of the Catholic Health Association (CHA), the organization has … Continue reading
In the Washington Times I read this.
Idaho city’s ordinance tells pastors to marry gays or go to jail
Coeur d‘Alene, Idaho, city officials have laid down the law to Christian pastors within their community, telling them bluntly via an ordinance that … Continue reading
Reactions to my post When they come to destroy your business because you are pro-traditional family are still rolling in. It was cited quite a few news outlets and blogs.
Today, Sunday, there is a piece in the local paper where I … Continue reading