Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mburn16: “[Bu t permitted and signed off on.]” ; And here, I think, is the underlying point about every papacy from Paul VI to Benedict XVI… they either allowed a course of action...
- Sportsfan: One of the first people I saw after hearing the news was a Franciscan nun in a polyester pant suit circa 1974. She was acting like her dog had just died. It still gives me a warm feeling...
- mikeinmo: Yes, I remember I was working in the vegetable garden. My wife came out of the house and told me there was a new pope. I told her that I bet it is Ratzinger. We watched together on TV as...
- Andreas: Father Z; You wrote, “NOT applying necessary medicines or tools as a doctor is to betray the oath to heal and to do no harm. NOT to apply censures in the Church, is a betrayal of her...
- James P: Listening at 18:16, it sounds like you got a promotion, Cardinal Zuhlsdorf. :P
- acardnal: I believe the greatest achievemen ts of Pope Benedict XVI were likely Summorum Pontificum and Anglicanor um Coetibus.
- acardnal: The work of the Consilium, in revising the Missale Romanum, did indeed change the Church’s doctrine. Change they way you pray and you change what you believe… and vice versa. True state...
- mibethda: It is interestin g that this informatio n comes from the diaries of the late Cardinal Virgilio Noe. In his recently published history of the Foederatio Internatio nalis Una Voce (which...
- philothea.distracted: I have a fondness for Pope Paul VI because (a) he was Pope when I was born; and (b) Humanae Vitae. It makes me angry and sad that he seemingly stood by and let all this...
- kekeak2008: My opinion and views of Paul VI have become more charitable over the years; it seems he was more conflicted about the liturgical changes than I originally believed. But I find myself...
- scotus: The Dies Irae was performed at the Requiem Mass for Otto Habsburg, eldest son of the last Emperor of Austria-Hu ngary. https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? time_conti nue=20& ;v=PucVqlS qu2c...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: It flabbergas ts the mind that these changes “hap pened to” Paul VI in the way these recorded comments suggest. It reads like me asking my own small child...
- acardnal: What is ICEL’ ;s “eve r livingR 21; issue with the word “ete rnal” ; ?
- davidjhickey: Basilica of St. Praxedis?
- twoadaydanny: A friendR 17;s mother, well into her 80’s and on her deathbed, was asked by her son if there was anything he could get for her. “Cha mpagneR 21; she managed to rasp...
- Nan: But that’ ;s not how vocations work. Men discerning the priesthood don’ t necessaril y fall into the ordained priest column, nor is it a spreadshee t about whether the girls or boys...
- Sandy: The efforts of your reader who contacted all these bishops is indeed praisewort hy! God bless him! As someone above said, I too pray for St. Joseph each day to minister to each one in my...
- The Masked Chicken: People who grow up in a household where religion is held in reverence tend to maintain their religion longer. There is no mystery, here. It can happen in a secular household, if...
- millercr2: Next time you’ re in Chi town, a must stop is Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder, 2121 N. Clark, Chicago, IL. A unique experience you’ ll never forget! Every time I visit...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: The Astronomer says: cards with the Apostolic Pardon I think one of the readers of this blog developed something just like that.
- Ellen: My father and mother both received the Apostolic Pardon before their deaths. It was moving for all of us who were there.
- The Astronomer: Father, Is there a place one can order those classic older-styl e plastic-co vered ‘sai nt’ holy cards with the Apostolic Pardon on one side and a picture of Our Lord on...
- Imrahil: Speaking of the German bishops, I can’ t help to find it somewhat under-ment ioned that 1 of the 2 German diocesan-b ishop Cardinals, 5 of the 7 (if you count Speyer 8) Bavar...
- Alice: I’d be curious as to how many homeschool ed men are being ordained. Every article I’m seeing indicates that homeschool ed men are more likely to enter seminary than non-hom...
- Semper Gumby: Anthony Esolen had an interestin g article in Crisis Magazine the other day related to this topic. Here’ ;s an excerpt: “The other day we Americans were informed by Natio...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- R.J. Snell reviews @DouthatNYT book about Pope Francis and his pontificate
- Jesuits to host homosexual “Pride Prom” at @MarquetteU
- Beautiful video about the Traditional Latin Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Parody Songs
We like Parody Songs around here. Faithful Catholics have a sense of humor, after all. Libs, not so much.
Over a First Things I spotted one worthy of passing along.
I AM THE VERY MODEL OF A MODERN ULTRAMONTANIST
by Clare Coffey
I am … Continue reading
Gosh! I get an honorable mention!
I am reminded of the hymn written many years ago by the official blog’s Parodohymnodist whose work we have enjoyed and Zuhlio has recorded. You will recall such hits as “O Come O Come Liturgical Blue”.
Here is just … Continue reading
I received an amusing note (and various SMS) from a friend in KC whose daughter is stuck on a bus in the snow after the March for Life. A priest on the bus said Mass. Here is a photo… grainy … Continue reading
The use of blue vestments during Advent is pretty much cliché now, so cliché that not even the aging hippies are clinging to it. Here’s my annual rant about the use of blue vestments in the Roman Rite.
At this point, … Continue reading
I swear I am not making this up. It’s not from Eye of the Tiber. It’s not from Onion. It’s from KOFR.com in Oklahoma. (There’s video!)
Tambourine player tased during church service
EDMOND, Okla. — Most churches encourage praise and worship. In … Continue reading
I wanted to alert the readership that I received a note from, the distinguished artist
Zuhlio is deeply concerned about the upcoming Synod of Bishops. He has decided to come out of retirement – again – with a new hit single.
We should … Continue reading
The other day a priest friend and I went steeple-chasing – to visit churches in the area that I had not yet seen.
At one place, where there is – or was, at least – the presence of Sinsinawa Dominicans we saw … Continue reading
From a reader…
I was wondering if any secular/diocesan priest is allowed to wear a black mozzetta as part of their choir dress? I have seen pictures of some priests wearing a black mozzetta such as the Canons Regular of St. … Continue reading
Here is a grooovy oldie post from the WDTPRS archives. This, from this very day in 2007:
Some time ago, the Official WDTPRS Parody Song Writer, the esteemed now Father Tim Ferguson wrote some lyrics in honor of Summorum Pontificum:
As he put it,
“I ruminated … Continue reading