Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HighMass: Just think, Paul VI is being made a Saint before Pius XII, wow, doesn̵ 7;t make a lot of sense, all the uproar that has come since the N.O. Doesn̵ 7;t Make sense, but again what...
- bobbird: Things may be even worse that what Fr. Z speculates . DO mind control drugs exist, or are they fiction? If they DO exist, what might the minions of an Evil Mind do with it, especially when...
- Legisperitus: It was 22 years ago after reading Book IV of “The Imitation of ChristR 21; that I realized I could no longer receive Our Lord in the hand or standing. A beautiful devotio...
- JustaSinner: Of course you’re a potential terrorist, Father. Haven’t you heard of the sect of priests—I believe they’re called Jesuits, that fly airplanes into buildings, trucks into crowds of...
- DMorgan: Father, I have a question concerning Pentecost and the beginning of The Church; Did the Church start on Pentecost as many proclaim or did it start at Calvary with the Blood and Water from...
- rakowskidp: Thank you for visiting us yesterday! Your sermon was outstandin g! I’d love to share it, so I’m eagerly awaiting the availabili ty of a recording.
- JonPatrick: @Carrie: As someone who grew up in a family with a pacifist father who was scarred by his experience s in WW2, I had no particular experience with firearms. But after observing the...
- Geoffrey: Mater Ecclesiae& #8230; Mother of the Church, is an image not only from St John’ ;s Gospel, but also from the Acts of the Apostles, when the 11 were gathered with the Mother of the...
- Tom Ormon II: Our homilist brought up the point that the gifts of the Spirit are meant for the Church (and not for our own personal edificatio n … i.e., we shouldn 217;t “hid eR...
- andia: At one of the parishes I attend the parochial vicar was seen several times putting the host in his pocket —- it’s not just lay people disrespect ing the Lord present in the Eucharist.
- Elizium23: A few years ago, I experience d profound reverence for the Eucharist. The faithful were hushed and reverent inside the temple. The liturgy was celebrated solemnly and according to the...
- Grant M: No, it’s not a myth. About ten years ago, while attending the vigil mass in my old parish, I noticed, during the distributi on of communion, a Host lying in the carpet between the...
- majuscule: Father talked about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and how they result (when used correctly) in the fruits of the Holy Spirit. He always has some illuminati ng things to say about Script...
- richiedel: The above post actually pertains only to the readings. Here is the Collect which the USCCB has published. O God, Father of mercies, whose Only Begotten Son, as he hung upon the Cross,...
- Eric: Dog gone it! I bought this last year as an out of print used book. This is a great book! Angelico is putting out some quality stuff.
- richiedel: The USCCB has released the propers in English here: http://www .usccb.org /about/div ine-worshi p/liturgic al-calenda r/upload/m other-of-t he-church- readings.p df
- jflare29: Hmm.. In the process of making my case, I think I accidental ly obscured a key point or two. I could live with changes in Scouting IF: – Chastity would be formally recognized as a...
- Semper Gumby: Carrie wrote at 18 May 10:41 AM: “If I die… ” This is actually positive, an acknowledg ement that you may survive, say, a Super EMP attack or a massive solar storm....
- jflare29: Mr. Alexander, For all that I understand your point, I find much of your line of argument to be quite objectiona ble. Being a former Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow inductee, and 3-time...
- Ef-lover: Pentecost in the Byzantine rite also celebrates the Holy Trinity, green vestments are used and the church is full of green vines and plants to symbolize life because the Holy Trinity...
- Dimitri_Cavalli: Fr. Martin believes calling people “ani mals” ; is “sin ful.” ; But when he smears his critics by calling them “Cat holic Alt Right,R 21; that...
- Michael Haz: Canon Estrada gave a wonderful and warm homily especially for the kids at Mass today receiving First Communion. Happiness, love of Jesus, love of each other, love of family all were...
- Nan: You may consume.
- MrsMacD: Your collar?! Hmmm… ; keeping any illegal substances in your collar Father? I bet the guy was just checking out the collar. I wonder how this thing works? Is it comfortabl e? This...
- Adaquano: Mass in OF… Our pastor ended his homily be reflecting in Mary despite having the Holy Spirit within her from the Annucation , she was present in the Upper room, praying with and for...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
- ASK FATHER: Timing of announcements during Holy Mass
- ASK FATHER: Religious Ed teacher controls First Communion
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Sad: “Cranmer tables” in the Pantheon and many great Roman churches
- ¡Hagan lío! Wherein Fr. Z is pretty angry and wants to fight back
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM
“The Old Latin Mass is the future of the Church”, Archbishop Thomas Gullickson (67), the nuncio to Switzerland and former nuncio to the Ukraine, said in September during a meeting with old rite priests in Sankt Pelagiberg, Switzerland.
The quotation … Continue reading
These stats are making the rounds, and I mentioned them recently. However, they popped up again at Spirit Daily.
From Scientific American:
Since 1990, the fraction of Americans with no religious affiliation has nearly tripled, from about 8 percent to 22 percent. … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it licit to celebrate Traditional Latin Masses in an anticipatory manner (i.e., an evening Mass but using the following day’s propers)?
I’m asking because a recent Rorate article implies the contrary yet I know priests who commonly say Sunday TLMs … Continue reading
From a reader…
How can I approach my Bishop about getting us a Traditional Latin Mass because I keep running from one parish to another looking for Holy Mass?
It has been some 10 years now since Summorum Pontificum, Benedict XVI’s “Emancipation Proclamation”. In that … Continue reading
It’s that time of year again.
Time to get your 2018 ORDO.
The new liturgical year begins with Advent on 3 December.canons
“Ordo” is a short way of referring to the booklet called Ordo divini officii recitandi sacrique peragendi” or else “Ordo Missae CElebrandae … Continue reading
This came in with the huge email bag this morning.
I’m a Canadian living in Korea and I go to the once-a-month TLM every chance I get. I was hoping you could post a link to the Korean translation of Summorum … Continue reading
The north side of Chicago has massive and venerable Polish churches. Some have languished and were in danger of closure, such as St. John Cantius and St. Mary of the Angels.
What revived them? Traditional Catholic liturgy and teaching.
I had a … Continue reading
We need a fuller, wider more dedicated implementation of Benedict XVI’s great gift to the Church, Summorum Pontificum.
Via CARA on Twitter:
US Catholics haven’t become more religiously active with age. Stay with habits of young adulthood. Other Christians have become more … Continue reading
A while back, I posted a comment on the post of a young man who had, quite properly, praised the work of those orders, fraternities and institutes set up under the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“. He left out diocesan priests.
A … Continue reading
From a seminarian…
I recently read your post encouraging priests to learn the TLM. It made me think, how early should a seminarian begin to learn it? Would it be jumping the gun for someone in 1st Theology to begin watching … Continue reading