BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- un-ionized said Hyacinthclare, you can find a number of exegetical...
- HyacinthClare said Turn the other cheek has nothing to do with self-d...
- Kerry said AvantiBev, was it either Carlos Danger or Lucy Ram...
- Spade said ” It’s worth mentioning that the French poli...
- un-ionized said Vincent, you have it inside out, it’s not ...
- jameeka said Lairdangusmcangus : good idea!
- Mike said It’s not a European custom to carry weapons, and n...
- acardnal said Thank you Fr. Neri
- Vincent said This isn’t a new tactic; it’s guerrill...
- Semper Gumby said Henry Edwards and Fr. Neri: Well said.
- Semper Gumby said Prayers for Fr. Hamel and the injured. Pope Urban...
- Michaelus said According to the French press the jihadists attend...
- Kathleen10 said I agree with Henry Edwards good point that the lef...
- APX said Maybe it’s time parishes start looking into...
- AvantiBev said God Bless all priests and religious who see the Tr...
- bethv said I am so grateful for the Good Bishop in Springfiel...
- bethv said Dear Fr. Philip Neri, thank you for your testimony...
- benedetta said Agree with Henry Edwards and Philip Neri, OP. What...
- newportson said Fr. Bu?, CR, belongs to the same order of priests...
- PhilipNeri said Mr. Edwards wrote: “That’s because the left...
- Traductora said I’m in Spain, in the small city of Toro, and...
- Billy-o said Fr. Z, Status of Cardinal Sarah’s encouragem...
- Henry Edwards said “On the first day of the Democratic National...
- Blaine said Just an update – we are home and baby Kather...
- Filipino Catholic said Father Hamel, santo subito! I find it rather poign...
- Muv said The logic, perverse and evil as it is, is inescapa...
- pmullane said Sadly, an aged Catholic Priest being beheaded by t...
- Christ_opher said Living in France and sadly they have been too tole...
- WYMiriam said “Things you need to know as you make your ch...
- moon1234 said Those who will not defend their faith will lose it...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 27 July: Canon Law Conference – Speculum Iustitiae
- “The shortcut to handling the crisis is to deny that it exists.”
- Bp. Paprocki speaks up about Pope Francis’ remarks on marriage
- 26 July: Canon Law Conference – Speculum Iustitiae
- Two attackers take hostages in French church, slit priest’s throat
- BRICK BY BRICK: A Communion rail restored in a major, historic church
- Who is Sen. Tim Kaine as a Catholic?
- Your Good News
- Z-SWAG: HOLY MASS – TURN TOWARDS THE LORD AGAIN!
- Wherein Fr. Z becomes a fan of the Samoan Rugby Team
- SILENT NO LONGER: A priest speaks out!
- Mike Piazza – Baseball Hall of Fame Speech: “…the greatest gift a mother could give a child, the gift of my Catholic Faith.”
- Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Zuhlsdorf’s Law isn’t finished with me yet, CW, and Echolink
- Feminist v. Christian
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy does not mean turning a blind eye to Justice
- The blog, donations and you.
- GIRM WARS: Another front opens in Iowa
- Card. Burke on Islam and our choices for the future
- WDTPRS – 17th Ordinary Sunday: Sin-Teflon and Demon-Kevlar
- 22 July: Happy FEAST of St. Mary Magdalene
- NOTE TO READERS: Registration, comments, Snail Mail and Email
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- Why aging liberals are so nasty and so frightened
- #gopconvention reminds me of two wonderful things
- Advice to new priests in first assignments who suffer under liberal pastors. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin to laugh or joke when in need of confession?
- Why are certain people afraid of “ad orientem” worship?
- Implementing ‘ad orientem’ worship with charity, prudence and courage
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Category Archives: SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM
Apart from the fact that they use a “J”, I am all for the Juventutem movement for young people who want the Traditional Roman Rite. I received this from the head of the Hungarian tribe of the same: Dear Father … Continue reading
I direct the readership’s attention to the page of our friend and frequent commentator here Fr. Jay Finelli, iPadre. Fr. Finelli has a series podcasts about his experience of learning and saying Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Gosh… he’s up … Continue reading
There is a bit of head scratching going on in traditional circles about whether attendance at TLMs has either hit a plateau or, like Sisyphus’ rock, is rolling backwards. Here is post from the charming and erudite Prof. Joseph Shaw of England’s … Continue reading
Since I am a displaced Minnesotan, a reader thought that this bit of news might be of interest. NCReg has an interview a player on Minnesota Vikings, Kevin McDermott, both a mackeral-snapper and a long-snapper. Here is the bit that caught … Continue reading
Our worship environment has been polluted for decades. It has to stop. Benedict XVI offered moving inspiration for us all through the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. We have to save the environment from the predations of bad liturgists who have so … Continue reading
UPDATE – PHOTOS – MADISON: 8 Dec – Solemn Mass in the presence of Bp. Morlino for Immaculate Conception
Last night, 8 Dec, the Tridentine Mass Society of Madison (we have a vestment project – PLEASE HELP!) sponsored a Solemn Mass in the Extraordinary Form in the Presence of the Diocesan Bishop, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hello Father, Happy Advent! Today, our priest didn’t use the Preface for Advent which my hand missal says was promulgated (along with one for the Holy Eucharist, All Saints, and the Dedication of a Church) in … Continue reading
I received word via email… the Traditional Latin Mass has “returned” to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia. This is an exceptionally good development. They should should have it every week, at least. Here are a few snaps from their … Continue reading
Every Latin Church sacristy should have an Ordo for both the Ordinary and the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. Every sacristy… even if the older form of Mass isn’t celebrated at the church. A while back I posted about the … Continue reading
On All Souls, 2 November, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, the Extraordinary Ordinary, Bishop of Madison, will pontificate at a Pontifical Requiem Mass at the Throne. I suspect it may be the only Requiem at the Throne… anywhere. … Continue reading
From a reader: I believe that you advise against attending SSPX Chapels even when that is your only EF option. But, has anything changed since the Pope offered permission to SSPX to forgive abortion in the Confessional and that Italian … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop? On the Correct Handling … Continue reading
Since the beginning of the pontificate of Pope Francis – or could we coin a new phrase? The “periphery of Pope Francis”? – I have been saying that his aim is to weaken the Roman Curia. HERE and HERE and … Continue reading
I have received sundry questions about situations in which Traditional Latin Masses (Extraordinary Form), have been suddenly cancelled, without reasons, without dialogue, without recourse… no doubt in the name of the Mercy Pope Francis speaks of. As you know, the law laid … Continue reading