Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LarryW2LJ: My son was accepted to both Seton Hall and Rutgers. Still waiting to hear from Stevens Institute and Montclair State.
- Kypapist Retired: Churchmen with chests for the last 50+ years have been the faithful “und erground 8221; Bishops and priests in Red China. Many imprisoned and tortured for decades, such as...
- Imrahil: Well, dear Orlando, though of course the one thing may remind you of the other̷ 0; I think there̵ 7;s a huge load of difference between a deacon that overdid the idea of coating...
- pseudomodo: I pray that we have not created another category of Bishop whose authority is “Ack nowledged But Ignored 221;.
- Cafea Fruor: The fit ones, by various forms of “discernme nt,” will be encouraged to take communion and also commit adultery. Funny, I always thought the most fundamenta l rule of discernmen t was...
- That Guy: I’m disappoint ed that some of my more ardent fellow Eagles fans didn’ ;t start pelting him with batteries, snowballs, or whatever other missiles that may have been within arms...
- Joe in Canada: Another Jesuit mentioned favorably on these pages? Spring has come early this year!
- hwriggles4: Reminds me back in my younger days when a priest rode a bicycle inside during the procession .
- amulack: Oh boy. This reminds me of the annual ‘pil grimages 8217; my family would make to Green Bay, WI where we constantly experience d similarly bizarre instances at local paris...
- PTK_70: Not a rhetorical question: who in a position of authority has literally said that adulterers may be admitted to Holy Communion? Not everyone who can be lumped into the “div orced and...
- Joe in Canada: Perhaps he’s devoted to the Coptic cynocephal ic saints, e.g. Christophe r https://ww w.orthodox artsjourna l.org/wp-c ontent/upl oads/2013/ 07/14icon. jpg
- Ms. M-S: I’m still numb with relief that my first take– ;that some bishop had ordained a dog– was an error. The mask would be less a shock if I hadn’ ;t already seen a priest...
- Gabriel Syme: Repugnant as this is, we should not be overly harsh on the Deacon responsibl e – though of course he should be corrected. The reason we should not be harsh is because, with this...
- Andreas: Rather than the transcende nt Holy Mass, those unfortunat es at this Philadelph ia parish church get the Feast of Fools. No Churchmen with chests to be seen here.
- aiello01: I went through a scrupulous in my late teens. During this period of time, I read the account of the lilies of the field in the gospels (see Matthew 6:25-34). I was shocked by it because...
- Hans: O, the shame! On behalf of my order, I apologize. And to paraphrase the great Leo, I’ll add: Deacon, remember your dignity! Goes in search of a very small doghouse and a very short...
- Hans: That in using only Gehenna as the name for that place reserved the damned (all else being descriptio ns), Jesus identifies child sacrifice (such as abortion) with Hell. This (with some...
- arga: Excellent contributi on by PK but kind of funny to read a piece _written to be read on a computer_ that exhorts us to drop computers and open a book “and nothing else.̶ 1;
- zag4christ: May God continue to bless and keep Cardinal Burke safe!
- Fr_Andrew: I am afraid that far too many priests and deacons think that the Mass is a performanc e in which they are leading stars̷ 0; Tony, really, “dog stars̶ 1;? You can’ t...
- Hans: And to think that I had to have an argument with my confrère because we are going to sing the Agnus Dei during Lent, even though it was presented by Father at the planning meeting as a fait...
- ServusChristi: I can just name you several other cases where the deacon/pri est draws attention to himself. For example, the priest calling up children around the altar during consecrati on, the...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Why God, why?
- TonyO: Awwww, ya just gotta love that look with one ear up and one ear down… ;.Barf. Ok, no, you don’ t. Even if one can imagine, as a deacon, thinking the thought ” I could go out...
- Orlando: This reminds me of a certain deacon in my former home parish (since switched to another parish that offers the TLM) that used to rap the homily to better “ connect” with the congregati on....
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Your Good News
- Hitchens: We were told not to worry.
- Card. Burke speaks up
- #OafForADay – Deacon in vestments and a dog mask
- We Are Our Rites! Wherein Fr. Z rants after reading Peter Kwasniewski
- Rutler writes about “men with chests”. The “impossible dream”?
- The Pope wants to hear from you. No. Really. He wants the “sensus fidelium”.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- From a priest: an interesting experience saying Mass
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- My View For A While: Counter March
- #March4Life numbers and Pres. Trump’s words
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM
I’m tying one on for the 10th anniversary of the release of the text of Summorum Pontificum (aka The Emancipation Proclamation).
Last week the Extraordinary Ordinary ordained three young men for the Holy Priesthood to serve in the Diocese of Madison. The TMSM … Continue reading
From a reader…
My Latin is not great will an ordinary form mass I celebrate in Latin be valid?
Sure, Father, it would be valid.
Language is a tricky thing. There are almost always gaps in our comprehension of texts, even in our … Continue reading
I received a great note from a brand new French priest, ordained for the mighty city of Paris on the great Feast of St. John the Baptist. He sent links for the video of his ordination in the Cathedral … Continue reading
A GUEST POST from a reader…
I have been meaning to write this for a little while but the holiday gives me a time to reflect on several observations over the past weeks and several years. This in light of priestly … Continue reading
From the useful Crisis with my emphases and comments:
Worship Worthy of God
MICHAEL J. ORTIZ
July 7 is [already!] the tenth anniversary of Pope Benedict XVI’s Summorum Pontificum, a decree that allows priests to celebrate the form of the liturgy of the … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly the Catholic Herald, print edition (subscribe HERE). My emphases and comments.
Is there really an Old Mass revival?
Ten years ago Benedict XVI lifted restrictions on the Old Rite. So what had changed in Britain, asks Dan … Continue reading
This is good news for the Diocese of Victoria… Canada, not Texas.
Cathedral site HERE
Today during Mass I was struck hard with something, which reinforced an observation I read recently in an email. In effect, the priestly writer said that priests, who are under constant and insidious attacks by the Devil, are therefore also constantly at … Continue reading
Masses Pontifical in the traditional form of the Roman Rite must be multiplied.
To that end, here is a beautiful video of a Pontifical Mass celebrated in Germany by the Secretary of my old digs the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“, Archbishop Guido … Continue reading
At RenewAmerica, Matt C. Abbot posted about an encouraging event: confirmations conferred in the Extraordinary Form. The account is a good read. It included the following with my emphases and comments:
I discovered the Latin Mass in my early adulthood and attended occasionally. … Continue reading
For a while now, I’ve been working with the Tridentine Mass Society of the Diocese of Madison.
Since I’ve been mentioning it on the blog, I’ve received notes from all over that people are forming their own societies where they are. … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am blessed to attend an OF parish where the teaching is orthodox and the liturgy reverent and beautiful (including parts of the mass sung in Latin). Several families have begun expressing an interest in an EF mass … Continue reading
From a reader…
We prefer to attend Ascension Day Mass on Ascension Day whenever possible. This year, we have 2 options – drive 2 hours later in the evening with 4 young children), or attend an SSPX chapel about 30 min … Continue reading
The Tridentine Mass Society of the Diocese of Madison is working for the New Evangelization. We are dedicated to helping the diocese and parishes in their revitalization of our sacred liturgical worship.
Here are some pics from the parish’s Sacred … Continue reading
Over at the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) the “Wile E. Coyote of contemporary liberal catholicism”, Michael Sean Winters, had a nutty about Card. Sarah’s message to the Summorum Pontificum colloquium in Germany. HERE
He picked on the new ICEL translation a bit, blah blah … Continue reading