Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- iamlucky13: This post affected one of the more startling realizatio ns I’ve had that despite being raised in a very dedicated Catholic family and well catechized , being born over a decade...
- HvonBlumenthal: Pilate saith to him: What is truth? And when he said this, he went out again to the Jews, and saith to them: I find no cause in him. But you have a custom that I should release one...
- Andrew: Mezzogiorn o edition also known as “men zijurnu 221; edition.
- TonyO: What I don’t understand is this: we know (from reputable testimonie s such as Fr Wiltgen’s The Rhine Flows Into the Tiber) that Vatican II was manipulate d. … namely that the mis-na...
- JGavin: The appalling thing is this cowardice. He had the authority. He had the sense that this reform a was misguided yet he signed off on it. This is cowardice! This is akin to Peter̵ 7;s...
- Amateur Scholastic: I don’ t remember watching it — I wasn’ ;t Catholic at the time, and had no idea I’d ever become one. But a high Anglican friend told me on MSN Messeng...
- Papal Fan: At that time, I was in my last year of middle school and I had no idea who or what a pope was, despite being raised in a catholic family. Even though I missed Benedict XVI’ s...
- jilly4life: Indeed, I remember where I was. I was a freshman going to my symposium class at a certain university on the plains of Minnesota. There were some benefits to going to a Catholic colle...
- acardnal: Thanks Fr. Z.
- jilly4life: acardnal, Leaflet Missal has a recording of GounodR 17;s St. Cecilia Mass. Here: https://ww w.leafleto nline.com/ gounod-at- st-agnes-c d And a Christmas CD: https://ww w.leafl...
- acardnal: Just checked Leaflet Missal website. Looks like they have four different audio cd’s by Msgr Schuler for sale.
- acardnal: I should add that the sung Credo with that magnificen t cathedral organ was unforgetta ble!
- ChesterFrank: At least one reader is hoping you take and post plenty of photograph s of southern Italy and offer insightful commentary on all aspects of its culture.
- acardnal: In the 1990s, I attended a Human Life Internatio nal (founded by the late, great Fr. Paul Marx) annual convention in St. Paul, MN . In connection with the convention , there was a sung...
- chantgirl: https://st ream.org/t he-conspir acy-behind -the-elect ion-of-pop e-francis/ And these guys were waiting for him. I don’ t know about the rest of you, but I feel less and less...
- Joe in Canada: Does the Church teach that if someone receives the Apostolic Pardon with the proper dispositio ns etc they go right to heaven? If so, why wouldnR 17;t those people be automat...
- Julia_Augusta: I hope you have enough time to visit the Capella Palatina in Palermo and the cathedral in Monreale (outside Palermo), as well as the baroque towns of Noto, Ragusa and Modica; Sirac...
- Unwilling: I remember I was watching that very commentary . Watching it now, I remain bewildered by the subsequent retirement . We was robbed! The conspiracy part of me was puzzling this morning...
- Semper Gumby: p.p.s. The Cubs haven̵ 7;t won a World Series since 2016. They’ ;re due…
- Semper Gumby: Ah yes Fr. Z, Chicago- where they Play with Railroads, Stack Wheat, and even the children have alarmingly Big Shoulders. Looks like our genial host had a fine time, and fine chow, at...
- benedetta: I hope all have a wonderful pilgrimage . I will be praying. Sicilia is beautiful.
- JesusFreak84: I hadn’ ;t heard of this blog until a few years into Benedict 8217;s too-short papacy, and I didn’ ;t watch TV besides EWTN and anime. I was in college at the time, and...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Alas, not very many. There were CDs of whole Masses recorded and distribute d by Leaflet Missal. I wonder if they are still around.
- acardnal: Fr. Z, are there any musical recordings available?
- iPadre: I was running the backhoe at my parentR 17;s home. And my mother called out and told me to come in quickly. The fervor of the crowds, the smoke, the bells, this video still makes me very...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- R.J. Snell reviews @DouthatNYT book about Pope Francis and his pontificate
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: The Campus Telephone Pole
I’m pretty excited about this book and I haven’t even gotten into it yet!
I’ve read a lot about Galileo over the years. This looks good. I like that “in context” part. The book doesn’t just deal with issues, but about … Continue reading
As we approach LutherFest, I’d like to remind you all of a truly informative and engaging book. This collection of essays is helpful.
Luther and His Progeny: 500 Years of Protestantism and Its Consequences for Church, State, and Society
US HERE – UK HERE
To give … Continue reading
Lots of groups are coming out with sacred music discs these days. GREAT!
Well in advance of the Advent/Christmas season, the Dominican Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor, MI have a new Christmas music disc. They are celebrating their own 20th year. … Continue reading
On 13 October 2017 we observe the 100th anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun that concluded Our Lady’s apparitions at Fatima, Portugal.
In celebration of that anniversary and to give glory to God and honor to Mary, Mother of the … Continue reading
One of you readers sent a book from my Amazon wishlist (thanks, S). I have started to dig in and it is great.
Joseph Clifford Fenton’s The Theology of Prayer
US HERE – UK HERE
I was immediately struck by the different style of … Continue reading
There is a promising conference in – I think – Kansas. The advertising is a little confusing, since they are talking about it on the site of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Littleton (Denver), CO where my friend Fr. … Continue reading
There are several groups of sisters whom I like to support. I just received a note from another: the Carmelites of Port Tobacco.
Frankly, I had to look that up to see if it was a real place and group. It … Continue reading
There is to be an interesting liturgical conference in W. Peabody, Mass, in September. Priests and seminarians should pay particular attention.
Culmen Et Fons 2017: On Liturgical Formation
“Fons et culmen” concerns the famous phrase about the Eucharist being the “source and summit” in Sacrosanctum Concilium.
Description … Continue reading
I can’t post everything people send me. However, I really like St. Philip Neri.
From a reader…
A few months ago, I began publishing the Daily Sayings of St. Philip Neri through an email list (and also via Facebook and Twitter). Would you … Continue reading
I have posted in the past about wonderful music CDs by the St. Paul’s Boys Choir in Harvard Square. If you don’t have their Christmas disc, you are in for a treat. The choir has a new recording!
Here is a … Continue reading