Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Stat crux dum volvitur orbis: I grew up in a communist country. And I see how Vatican rapprochem ent with communist regime resonates within the society 30 years later . Non-Cathol ics: “...
- Semper Gumby: Viva Cristo Rey! Great Wilderness Altar, relic, and movie. If I recall, some priests took up arms, and the Feminine (not feminist) Brigades performed critical tasks of smuggl...
- Semper Gumby: acardnal: Good point about access control. Lee Gilbert: Good point about violent and twisted video games, movies, music, and books. A colleague remarked recently that even Scholas...
- Oliverian: In reading your excerpts from VS, and your commentary , I was at several points reminded of something I read not long ago : “Hav e you yet resisted temptation to the point of the...
- clare joseph: I am so very happy to read these posts, first Father Z.’s , then yours. I came into the Catholic Church as an adult while living in Manhattan – a great place to be Catho...
- ex seaxe: I am still wanting to understand how the Orthodox churches can have developed a different approach. This is difficult because there is no single central agreement among them. However, it...
- HvonBlumenthal: Father, you have so far not given your take on the Chinese situation, and it would be extremely useful to have your ever reasonable thoughts. As an utterly unreasonab le traditi...
- JARay: There is little doubt that “The Bard” ; had a wonderful way with words BUT he knew the foibles and failings of humanity better than most and could put them into words with clear...
- Jenson71: My comment was more general than Chinese relations, following the general criticism of the commentato rs on EWTN to the idea of the Church transcendi ng “the clash.” But specifical ly to...
- stephen c: People should have a way to know if local crazy people are threatenin g , on the internet, to go on a local rampage. There is no easy was, right now, to log in to Facebook or Google and...
- HighMass: The Church is in deep need of Prayer, and another St JPII & Pope Benedict XVI. So much confusion in the Church today Blessed Mother Pray for Us
- APX: if I could be so bold as to ask you and your outstandin g readership base to please pray for us and all Law Enforcemen t at this time. Yes! Please! I recently lost a family member who was a...
- ArthurH: A old HS friend, a big fan of SofG Abp Fulton Sheen, just sent this to me yesterday: One of Sheen̵ 7;s later talks on the nature of the demonic, the diabolical . https://ww w.youtu...
- Kathleen10: Jenson, I don’ t know what you are talking about. Maybe I misunderst and, but in my opinion you have not delved into reality, you are talking pie in the sky daydreams about...
- David: I love Fr. MurrayR 17;s contributi ons to these discussion s, since it is so obvious that he thinks the Vatican has gone off the deep end, but he’s a good priest and doesn̵ 7;t...
- Benedict Joseph: Watching it last Thursday evening was a profound consolatio n. Fr. Murray is truly a superior man. His clarity of thought, his ability to articulate complexiti es with precis...
- Ellen: I work on a college campus and one of the Catholic students said that he got some odd looks because of his ashes and heard someone say: “wha t’s that on his face” ; and the...
- Lorra: God bless the NYPD! I will gladly pray for the NYPD daily, and I am going to place each and every one of them in my spiritual family so that Our Lady can watch over them. Thank you, Father...
- MacCheese: This is well worth viewing, and listening very carefully to what Fr. Murray says. Fathers clarity is exceptiona l.
- Jenson71: One would think the Pope desiring cultures, religions, and countries living peacefully among each other despite their difference s would be rather non-contro versial. St. JPII taught...
- jameeka: Enriching and consoling advice. I love the last lines. “…as far as the past, trust in the Blood of Jesus Christ! 221;
- Semper Gumby: “The Reich began violating the deal almost as soon as the ink on the treaty was dry.” ; Socialists like to sign treaties with disappeari ng ink. Then, if they’ ;re...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent:
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: The Coming Storm
Terror Analyst Insists, NYC Attack ‘Not Islam,’ Could’ve Been ‘Radicalized Catholics’
The STUPID! It BURNS!
The people of New York City has experienced another terror attack. The perp ran people down with a rented truck. When he got out of the truck, he shouted “Allahu akbar”. He was eventually shot and taken alive. In his … Continue reading
ME! ME! ME!
I! I! I!
MINE! MINE! MINE!
We are living in an age when many people think they can do whatever the hell they want and there should be no consequences for them.
DO whatever they want? HAH! If only. They think … Continue reading
Mesdames et Messieurs…
French High Court Orders Removal of Cross Above Statue of Pope John Paul II
The French administrative court has ordered the removal of a cross from a monument to Saint John Paul II in a public square in … Continue reading
The other day I put a link on the sidebar and on the top menu to a page I made with the longer, original prayer to St. Michael the Archangel. I’ve started to use this prayer daily. The times call … Continue reading
More example of coordination from the new catholic Red Guards.
First, a tweet from Massimo “Beans” Faggioli reveals teamwork.
Perhaps it’s time for B16 to honor the promise that he made on February 28, 2013 and break his silence once more to … Continue reading
The last time I was in Phoenix I didn’t have the chance to meet Fr. John Lankeit, rector of the Cathedral of Sts. Simon and Jude (a great feast day for another reason). I have written about him before HERE.
Here … Continue reading
At LifeSite there is an interview with Peter Kwasniewski. He opines that the decentralization of authority in liturgical matters could recreate an environment in the Church much like the 70’s.
Of course that would accelerate the growth of desire for traditional … Continue reading
Fr. Hunwicke has posted at his blog, inter alia, a stunning quote of Paul VI:
“The tail of the Devil is functioning in the disintegration of the Catholic world. The darkness of Satan has entered and spread throughout the Catholic Church, … Continue reading
During the Chinese Cultural Revolution, Mao and other leaders signaled to the masses, such as gangs of students, whom they should target for attack and public abuse. Quickly the mobs, led by party cadres, began to conduct purges of “enemies … Continue reading
I’ve had a lot of notes from people about a post from yesterday.
I have, once again today, prayed the prayer I mentioned. I am going to make this part of my routine for the foreseeable future.
Also, in regard to indefectibility, … Continue reading
“I learned that when a person has decided to destroy you, he has no lack of words, spite, and hypocrisy”
Inspired by something sent to me today from a Twitter feed. [UPDATE It’s also quoted by Matthew Schmitz at the Catholic Herald in June 2017 in a round up article about how much people hate Card. Sarah and the amazingly … Continue reading
A friend in England alerted me to this video of a speech given in Rome last May by His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke.
The Cardinal speaks, inter alia, of diabolical forces that have entered the Church in our time.
Contrast Card. … Continue reading
This cri de coeur comes from a comment under another entry.
And what recourse do we laypeople have? Do we just have to sit around and remain silent because we do not have proper authority to speak up?
Priests and bishops are … Continue reading
There is a video of the talk, but the audio is really bad. So, I extracted the audio from the video and cleaned it up.
Wanna hear it? It’s classic Burke and hard hitting.
There is a LifeSite story about the talk. … Continue reading
Many these days feel a little helpless as the lib Steamroller of Ambiguity squishes sickeningly forward, reducing clarity to an amorphous goo of permissive self-justification.
What can we do?
Feel helpless no longer.
You have at your disposal – 24/7 – powerful arms against the Enemy … Continue reading
Last Saturday I was in the Diocese of Santa Rosa, in Napa Valley, CA, to speak at a conference.
At one point I had noticed smoke plumes on the far sides of a large Eastern ridge. On Saturday evening the other priest … Continue reading
I am usually eager to read anything penned by Anthony Esolen. But when I saw the title of Esolen’s newest offering at Crisis, I put everything aside:
“Open Your Eyes Father Martin”
Father James G. Martin, S.J., is either a cruel or a … Continue reading
The recent Jesuit-run Boston College conference on the reception of Amoris Laetitia in these USA seems to have been intended as a closed workshop on how to “struggle” (in the Cultural Revolution sense) against the Four Olds (in this case, Familiaris Consortio, … Continue reading
I had a note, really a cri de coeur, from a reader who said that she feels as if she and other good and innocent people in the Church today are undergoing one terror attack after another against our Catholic … Continue reading