Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- frjimt: new years suggestion : sponsor a contest to rename the fish wrap… ; e. g. Nothing Catholic to Report: No Catholic Reporters: … things that might earn fr z another coveted slap...
- Gaetano: Father, please post a warning about the need to put down any beverages one is drinking before reading a post like that. As it is, you nearly cost me a new keyboard. As for MSW, the immor...
- grumpyoldCatholic: We need more traditiona l Masses. I wish I could go more often. My nearest Mass is 130 miles one way. The saddest part is all the diocesan leaders won’ t give it a try. I...
- e.e.: @OrangeBlo ssom You seem to be closer to this parish than I am, so I’ll ask you. Is it true that Bedford school district has had 3 suicides of students and 1 suicide of a recent gradu...
- Hidden One: I agree sadly and completely with the insightful account of the problem. Still, I’m not so sure that some of us who are afflicted by it, myself included, would not need still more...
- JMody: Well, well – our relationsh ips are what define us, after all. And as for the accuracy of the Heavenly Fire Direction Center, recently some archaeolog ists had this to say: https:/...
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- KateD: Solid homily. Anytime I see a pastor suffering for bringing the Word to the people, feeding HIS sheep as commanded to do, I look for God’ s action in it all… .it’ s always...
- JonPatrick: Thanks Fr. Z. Following only one calendar and attending only one liturgy – I wish. Currently I find myself following 3 calendars – Traditiona l, Novus Ordo, and Eastern...
- Ms. M-S: Thank you, Father Z. This passage crystalize d thoughts that had been roiling formlessly around for some time. Now I see that the hours we spend driving to the TLM on Sundays are less an...
- Nan: I have twice seen a priest chase down someone who walked away without consuming. It isn’ t an issue at my Byzantine church since we receive both species on the tongue, by spoon. I̵...
- Nan: I assume you used your indoor drill sergeant voice?
- otsowalo: I had a discussion with an OFM “fri end,” ; and he kept on harping that the priest was abusing his authority, and he should be lumped together with clergy sex offenders. I was...
- monstrance: Looking at the city scape – What is that Ginormass structure on the right ?
- Andy_P: Funny, that not two days ago I wrote the parish pastor and associate pastor about abuses like this. There was some guy acting weird as Mass last Sunday and I saw he received in the hand but...
- Andy_P: Reading all which you posted Fr. I’d echo 1) the lack of catechesis of the parents and 2) their conscience s did not like what those words, which to me were very generous, were making...
- Benedict Joseph: In the final analysis this pontificat e critiques itself with its cast of characters . To that extent only it is entirely unambiguou s and without artifice.
- Kathleen10: Chris P. Many, many thanks for that. A thing of beauty.
- OldProfK: Another data point indicating that good satire is no longer possible. Father Guido Sarducci at L’Osservat ore Romano would now be an improvemen t.
- stuart reiss: And as in the former Soviet Union they used to say; there’s no truth in Isvestia (news) and no news in Pravda (truth). And so in L’Osservat ore Romano nothing occurs: and in Avven...
- jflare29: “Not acceptable yet you reject a viable solution.& #8221; I’ve already explained that I don’ t consider it a viable solution, AA. I have never seen ushers stand guard...
- arga: The priests who dreamed this up should be locked in a room and forced to listen to “Tas te and See,” ; played continuous ly for 72 hours.
- Fr_Sotelo: Under #2 of the second full paragraph, the correct quote is “We must NOT call what is bad good… ;”
- Fr_Sotelo: FatherR 17;s homily was theologica lly sound, no doubt. But as a matter of prudence, it was a fail. The loss of a child, especially so young, occasions an unspeakabl e grief in the...
- Dimitri_Cavalli: I’ve correspond ed with Andrea Tornielli over the years. We belong to the same informal group of writers and researcher s who defend Pope Pius XII. Tornielli wrote and...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fishwrap’s MSW v. EWTN – paragon of self-parody
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 18: The damage liturgical ‘expertise’ has done to us!
- More news from Rome concerning communications
- My View For Awhile: Penultimate Edition
- Development of Doctrine? Fr. Hunwicke breaks it down barney style.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 17: Conscience and You
- ASK FATHER: Even after continuous sacrileges, Bishop forces Communion in the hand
- A Rorate Mass for UW students
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head – UPDATE – HOMILY TEXT
- 17 Dec: St. Daniel and the Furnace Boys
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 16: O Antiphons
- Advent Penance Service Idiocy
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: The Drill
As the text messages from across the pond started to come in this morning, I did as I more and more often now do. With a groan I put on my cheaters and grump, “What fresh hell is this?”
Today I … Continue reading
Fr. Hunwicke, at his esteemed page, has a cold look at what “development of doctrine” might mean over the last few years. Accepting, of course, that doctrine can develop, one can ask the question: how much time does it take?
How and … Continue reading
UPDATE 17 Dec 2018:
Canonist Ed Peters has a post about the text of the sermon that Fr. LaCuesta gave at the funeral for the young man who committed suicide.
The family fueled the usual hyped-up MSM faux reporting. (NYT … can you … Continue reading
LifeSite has a precis of Card. Müller’s interview with the German Catholic newspaper Die Tagespost. He talks about the state of the Church and of theology in that caput malorum, Germany.
Also, of great interest, were his comments on homosexuality:
For the U.S. audience, … Continue reading
I will keep saying it.
The passing and replacement of Bp. Robert Morlino is an important moment for the Church in the USA, particularly in light of The Present Crisis.
The Diocese of Madison has a page with links to some personal … Continue reading
The passing of Bp. Morlino – and the naming of his successor – is an important moment for the Church in the USA, particularly in light of The Present Crisis.
There has been quite a bit of even international coverage of … Continue reading
I keep coming back to the passing of Bp. Morlino, and not merely because of my personal connection.
The passing of Bp. Morlino – and the naming of his successor – is an important moment for the Church in the USA, … Continue reading
Consider what is entrusted to a bishop.
Consider how he, like everyone else, struggles with the world, the flesh and the Devil.
Consider that, though fortified with the graces of the sacrament of orders and defended by the holy angels, a bishop … Continue reading
When we write scholarly papers or monographs or theses, or even in depth blog posts, analyzing a burning question, we often begin with a status quaestionis section: What is the state of the question?
This morning Michael Voris posted a “Vortex” video … Continue reading
At First Things more good advice has been offered to their collective Excellencies before their upcoming plenary meeting, which begins next Monday. Just the other day, another piece of advice was extended by a writer at The Catholic Thing. HERE
However, at … Continue reading
Speaking of brilliant, you will want to pay attention to the following.
Canonist Ed Peters turns the canonical sock about schism, can. 751, inside out. There are two dimensions of schism, you see. The papalatrous catholic Left has probably fallen into one … Continue reading
Right now we are told that transparency and dialogue are important. When the Synod (“walking together”) opened, Francis called for openness, dialogue, even criticism, saying, “all to speak with courage and parrhesia (candour), that is combining freedom, truth and charity…. Only … Continue reading
It seems that Bp. Holley wasn’t the only thing removed. The video I posted earlier was removed. However, the different segments of the show were reposted on Youtube.
Originally Published on: Nov 1, 2018
MUST WATCH NOW
Here’s a strong cup of wake-the-hell-up coffee from my friend Jennifer Morse and Ruth Institute. The National Catholic Register conveys the news.
Is Catholic Clergy Sex Abuse Related to Homosexual Priests?
An interview with sociologist Father Paul Sullins, whose new study documents … Continue reading
At the UK’s (and soon to be also USA’s) best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, you must… I repeat MUST… read George Weigel’s biting postscript on the 2018 Synod (“walking together”). HERE Weigel’s is the first of several postscript “letters” posted … Continue reading