Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: “The Reich began violating the deal almost as soon as the ink on the treaty was dry.” ; Socialists like to sign treaties with disappeari ng ink. Then, if they’ ;re...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
- OldProfK: According to some reports I’ve read, people saw something. And said something. And the FBI apparently couldnR 17;t be bothered. Whatever they had that was better to do̷...
- Elizabeth D: I knew Jacek a bit and have been praying and am praying for him. I did not know Fr Kunz but his murder impacted everyone including me. Very fitting to remember him with a traditiona l...
- PTK_70: @pbnelson& #8230;.You call it “jab ber” , I call it “con sideration -worthy 221;. You like your question, I like mine. In fact, I reject your question and theref...
- acardnal: The MSM jumps to discussion s of gun control immediatel y because that’ ;s their agenda. But HOW did the shooter get into the school?? I have yet to hear anyone discuss this topic....
- Kathleen10: frjim, please see “Par is Isn’ t Paris Anymore 221; and tell us why any nation should want to look like Paris these days. Liberals are so fascist. Raymond Arroyo dares to...
- tho: There was an article that I just read, about a cop killer being escorted through the Cook County jail, where he was applauded by some of the inmates. We are being inundated by people who have...
- Kathleen10: Multi-face ted problems are not solved with single response solutions. These shootings did not happen in the 1950’ ;s. What was better then? Those of us here know. People outside...
- The Masked Chicken: The first thing I must say is that the families of the shooting victims in Florida have my sympathies . Thankfully , I have never been at the scene of a mass shooting, but they...
- LeeGilbert: Without discountin g anything you’ ve said about the MSM, Father, there are several other factors that deserve a very close look, chief among them the imaginativ e formation of...
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, allow me to agree in principle but take what you say one step further: you say Even fasting in to lose weight for health (not for vanity) I say: Vanity is by definition an...
- Ellen: At the daycare where my grandchild ren were, you had to used a keypad to get in. There was a list of who could and couldnR 17;t pick up the children and you had to have a ID and sign if...
- HeatherPA: I agree completely regarding situationa l awareness and the time has long been past for people to be proactive instead of reactive. The media will not change. They would never take any...
- AA Cunningham: The DLEMM – Dominant Liberal Establishm ent Mass Media – is anything but mainstream . They are extremists not unlike Call To Action, the National Schismatic Repor...
- e.e.: I have wondered the same thing about the media, Father. So much sensationa lism that can encourage those most troubled souls to do something terrible. The most recent attack in Florida...
- pbnelson: PTK_70, thank you for your wonderful analogy of the uprooted tree. And I almost hate to mention it, but the “rul es” of my request forbade exactly what you did. Please pardon...
- NBW: With the shooting deaths in Florida and the shooting of a police commander in Chicago; the media is subtly sending a message that guns are dangerous and should be taken away from everyo...
- Joe in Canada: To our edible bestiary we could add seal, in Newfoundla nd and Norway.
- KT127: You are absolutely right. But the media will not change anytime soon. We need to secure our schools. We know they are a target and have been for the last twenty years. Enough is enough....
- Andreas: In this and earlier posts, Father Z. has stressed the need for situation awareness. Those of us in the military and especially aviation have learned that situation awareness is created and...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: That’ ;s a start. Not only around our schools.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Thus, confirming the choice of your username here? Ridiculous rabbit hole CLOSED.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke explained and explains today’s “Festum Ovorum”
- ASK FATHER: Could a diocesan priest choose to say only the TLM?
- Your parish priest and YOU.
- Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for the fight of your life!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: The future and our choices
The hijinx continues. Today I was alerted to an attack on my sacred person, et alibi, at the site of La Croix International by Massimo “Beans” Faggioli of ultra-lib Villanova. His purple patch and over the top notions suggest that he is … Continue reading
At Rorate there is an extract from a text that the late, great – and already deeply missed – Carlo Card. Caffarra would have delivered to a conference in Milan on 10 Sept 2017.
Some time ago, there fell into my … Continue reading
The Holy Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire were at war. Vienna had been under siege for months. On 11 September a coalition of Christian forces, a Holy League blessed by Bl. Pope Innocent XI, arrived with Jan III Sobieski, … Continue reading
You have to have your feet… knees planted firmly on the ground these days to maintain equilibrium as the atmosphere becomes more and more toxic.
Stay close to the Sacraments.
The Belgian “We Kill You™” Brothers of Charity, are defying the Holy … Continue reading
One of my perennial tropes is that generations of Catholics have been robbed. They have been cheated out of their patrimony. They have been defrauded of their inheritance. When the libs “reformed” the Church’s liturgical worship with little regard for … Continue reading
More on the issue of vocations to the priesthood. Allow me, first, to say that the “crisis” of vocations was created and it’s perpetuation is also not only tolerated but, in some places, fostered. That said, it is probable that in most … Continue reading
When Fr. Aidan Nichols, OP, has an opinion, it’s a good idea to pay attention.
Fr. Nichols is concerned about what is happening because of Amoris laetitia.
From the Catholic Herald:
Leading theologian: change canon law to correct papal errors
Fr Aidan Nichols, a prolific … Continue reading
ORIGINAL TEXT HERE
From a priest in the UK…
We have printed the Vocations Prayer you recommended for our parish in three designs and we say it at Mass every Sunday, and I also use it at Benediction during the week. I … Continue reading
I picked this up from a tweet by a friend:
Well this story makes an interesting contrast to the tearing down of #ConfederateStatues. https://t.co/TRSTs56dMO
— Samuel J. Howard (@Jahaza) August 15, 2017
In a nutshell:
A WWII Marine vet travelled to Japan … Continue reading
The present situation with North Korea (NOKO) reminds me of some of the scenarios in the dystopian, apocalyptic and “prepper” genre I sometimes read. Frankly, the news these days makes me nervous. I must say I am really glad that … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, my wife and I are expecting our first child, and I wondered if you could recommend any good, solid books for new Catholic fathers please?
I’ll open this to the readership.
Meanwhile, I received a good book for … Continue reading
From a priest…
Greetings! You have mentioned on your blog a few times that you sometimes receive threats. I received one today. On the advise of my lawyer I reported it to the authorities. Do you have any insight or advise … Continue reading
UPDATE 8 Aug 2017
MacMillan’s piece is first up. Then at about 42:45 Beethoven’s 9th starts.
Originally Published on: Aug 7
Would that I were in London and able to attend the Proms. I would have very much enjoyed hearing the premiere of Catholic composer Sir … Continue reading
Some years back, 19 March 2013 to be exact, I published here a manifesto entitled “Dear Traditionalists” to which I return from time to time. I still adhere to it.
In that piece I featured a photo of aspiring Navy SEALs … Continue reading
I have had notes from reader about good things going on.
First, I call your attention to a good initiative in the Diocese of Burlington (Vermont). A new group has been established called the St. Philip Neri Latin Mass Chaplaincy. I … Continue reading
Fr. de Souza responds to responses about “reconciliation” of newer and traditional Forms of the Roman Rite
UPDATE 26 July:
Joseph Shaw of the LMS posted a response to Fr. de Souza’s response to us, who responded… etc. HERE
___ Originally Published on: Jul 25, 2017 @ 11:14
Some discussion about the “mutual enrichment” hoped for and promoted by Benedict XVI with Summorum Pontificum has … Continue reading
In once-Catholic Austria, now female altarettes outnumber male servers. HERE
Nearly a quarter century after the practice of female altar servers became licit, 55% of Austria’s 45,000 altar servers are girls, according to statistics published by the Archdiocese of Vienna.
In addition, … Continue reading
Though some of the Rorate folks have waged a bit of a war on me, I have tried occasionally to acknowledge their good contributions. I was sent a link to one contribution which I would like to endorse.
Fr. Richard Cipolla, pastor … Continue reading
By now you may have seen the attack on Americans – conservative Americans and traditional Catholic Americans – in what some people consider a semi-official publication of the Holy See Civiltà Cattolica (now aka Inciviltà cattolica). The title in English: “Evangelical Fundamentalism and … Continue reading
At the site of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, there is a preview article from their upcoming 14 July number which merits your attention. I ingested it with great interest along with my at least quadruple espresso ristretto this … Continue reading