Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, Chief Spokesman the Islamic State, 2014 In James Wesley Rawles, Land of Promise (Counter-Caliphate Chronicles Series Book 1)
- "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003 and HERE
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Interesting new movie…
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- SaintsSQPNcom said http://catholicsaints.info/saint-josephine-bakhita...
- andia said Fr Bryan gave a beautiful sermon about how Christ...
- Nan said Elizabeth D, you may not realize that Slavs, gener...
- MarkJ said Your priest was right… The halftime show was...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said Quoting St. Thomas Aquinas, Father commented on St...
- Elizabeth D said Sunday Mass was the last in a series of homilies o...
- julieculshaw said Our priest gave a lot of stats about the SuperBowl...
- Nan said Fortunately the only line was the altar rail. The...
- Nan said For the second week in a row, the Catholic Service...
- JerrytheYTPer said I attended the Byzantine Rite liturgy today and to...
- iPadre said I celebrated in both forms this Sunday. OF –...
- Andrew said The blind man on the road to Jericho represents hu...
- acardnal said Addendum to above: Father also said that todayR...
- torch621 said EF Mass with sermon by one ofour two parish priest...
- Adaquano said OF Mass with sermon by our Transitional Deacon. H...
- Sliwka said Visiting at old parish, Fr spoke about how we resp...
- acardnal said Great sermon! Father started by mentioning mercy...
- Tony Phillips said I’m not so sure about the idea of Benedictin...
- Malcolm Harris said The good news: the video is 8 years old and so are...
- JerrytheYTPer said I have seen pictures of Episcopalian churches usin...
- JerrytheYTPer said Doctors deal with biology, not feelings. Biology s...
- Semper Gumby said Excellent, thanks Fr. Z.
- Suburbanbanshee said Even Jewish people before Christ came to believe t...
- Grumpy Beggar said Thank you for this one Padre. . . copied ,pasted a...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said Went to Cofession night, Deo gratias. Was over due...
- Matt Robare said I read the other day that the Latin word “sa...
- JMJLuke said Ah, the good old annual tradition of Gandalf’...
- Geoffrey said “That being said what of the Mother Abbess?&...
- Prayerful said We Catholics are both a family, children of a comm...
- Maltese said Altra: we are in the nascent stages of this loony...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Some current reading…
Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 8 Feb: St. Josephine Bakhita
- 7 Feb: Bl. Pius IX, Pope
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTRPS: Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for battle!
- WDTPRS: 5th Ordinary Sunday – A clear and certain trumpet
- Wherein Fr. Z promotes monkish beer! – UPDATE
- Making it illegal to differentiate between male and female
- Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion may be complete
- LIBS! University level liturgy course for YOU! BIG PUPPETS!
- ASK FATHER: St. Blaise Blessing from a laywoman
- 3 Feb: St. Blaise and the blessing of candles and of throats
- Tabernacle by Tabernacle
- Candle by Candle in NY
- Fr. Rutler on Card. Kasper and the Germans: “Modernists are people who do not believe what they believe.”
- Jill Stanek’s house vandalized by pro-aborts. She’s not about to quit.
- WDTPRS: Presentation – “the substance of our flesh”
- “Ministry is not about…”
- Prefect of Cong. for Bishops says more priests now decline becoming bishop
- Pope Francis to play himself in a movie… uh huh. POLL
- @BishopCoyne to start a digital Catholic High School
- New NBC (anti-Catholic) Show Takes Shot at Priests
- A few things… with a special message for IOWA
- St. Ignatius and Bl. Ludovica – Beauty differently manifested
- Candlemas Poetry – and also Candlemas Eve
- ASK FATHER: Deny Protestants Communion? Exempt them from the collection!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Recent Posts, Thanks to Donors, Mass for Benefactors
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Peters on Allen on Francis’s silence on abortion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Father said say Act of Contrition afterwards. Fr. Z rants… at priests.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Category Archives: The future and our choices
Synod Fatigue is sure to be setting in now, if it hasn’t already. Just wait. It’ll get worse. But you must stay focused. Don’t tune out Synod news. “But Father! But Father!”, some will say, “It’s all too much! I … Continue reading
From a priest… Dear Fr. Zuhlsdorf, My name is Fr. ___, and I am a priest of the Diocese of ___. I would appreciate it if you would keep my e-mail anonymous. I wanted to tell you that I am … Continue reading
At NLM there is a good entry by Peter Kwasniewski about implementing Summorum Pontificum where you are. He makes some practical points which I endorse… as one would expect since I also have made them. WARNING: Peter links to a dangerous video that … Continue reading
On this anniversary of 9/11 I call to mind a post about the “Islamic Cultural Center” to be build near the site of the World Trade Center, but which was really a rabat, The first rabat appeared at the time … Continue reading
I don’t watch a lot of TV, and when I do it is usually news or news commentary stuff on cable, and then usually Fox, and even then I am more often than not multitasking. However, from time to time … Continue reading
As Rome wakes up from the summer break, the war for the Synod has begun. Those who wish changes to Catholic doctrine have allies in the Catholic media and the mainstream media. You should be aware of what is going … Continue reading
At Steubenville, His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke gave an address tonight (Tuesday 8 Sept) which you all will want to watch or listen to. He and other speakers talk about the working document, the Instrumentum Laboris for the upcoming Synod … Continue reading
Yes, there are true refugees. I don’t think they are all refugees. We shall see. Meanwhile, some are rejecting aid because there is a Red Cross on the packages. What do you think will come of this… migration? May the … Continue reading
For your consideration. This, from the year of closing of the Second Vatican Council.
I have learned from the Catholic education watchdog group Cardinal Newman Society (see their feed on the sidebar of this blog) that Thomas Aquinas College has opted to NOT to knuckle under to the threats of the Obama Administration regarding ObamaTax … Continue reading