BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- Mike said Karl, you are in my prayers. May your family truly...
- Christ_opher said Thank you for introducing the word eschew, which i...
- Alanmac said Front page of this week’s Western Catholic R...
- Venerator Sti Lot said WYMiriam, You’re forgetting Cody Robert Judy...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Vincent said, “It’s not a European custom to...
- newportson said Biden, Pelosi, Kaine, O’Malley, to name but
- newportson said 1. I find it interesting that the Democrats only...
- newportson said 1. I find it interesting that the Democrats only...
- Venerator Sti Lot said jhayes, Thanks for the French Bible translations!...
- benedetta said John H. Graney, I think you set up a straw man. W...
- benedetta said To be sure, if the vast majority of us did our job...
- APX said Maybe they can think of a better place — or at the...
- HeatherPA said Thanks be to God our little baby boy was born toda...
- un-ionized said Europe is finding out now that the takeover has be...
- WYMiriam said Muv, you wrote, ” Quite frankly, I am happie...
- Vincent said Wow. Rabbit hole well and truly opened there; firs...
- hilltop said If this Pope has taught the world anything it is t...
- Rocha90 said I am in Mexico City right now and just returned fr...
- benedetta said Pope Francis, according to E. Pentin of EWTN News,...
- crych said @VexillaRegis: I assumed that it is a typo for ...
- un-ionized said I never heard that that is what sursum corda means...
- pannw said And yet, according to the media, Pope Francis is t...
- Ivan Tomas said OF Mass in Croatia “Ad Orientem” (and nobody died!...
- CarpeNoctem said To follow you up, Gilbert… I just read a re...
- SanSan said Heard that Pope Francis said that “we are at...
- ajf1984 said The Shrine church and grounds are indeed beautiful...
- Imrahil said The short answer no. The long answer is: God gave...
- HobokenZephyr said @JMody, physical pain is not the only measure of p...
- PTK_70 said @JMody…ever been hit by a baseball? That sai...
- Thomas Sweeney said What we should do is turn our backs on any politic...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 27 July: Canon Law Conference – Speculum Iustitiae
- “The shortcut to handling the crisis is to deny that it exists.”
- Bp. Paprocki speaks up about Pope Francis’ remarks on marriage
- 26 July: Canon Law Conference – Speculum Iustitiae
- Two attackers take hostages in French church, slit priest’s throat
- BRICK BY BRICK: A Communion rail restored in a major, historic church
- Who is Sen. Tim Kaine as a Catholic?
- Your Good News
- Z-SWAG: HOLY MASS – TURN TOWARDS THE LORD AGAIN!
- Wherein Fr. Z becomes a fan of the Samoan Rugby Team
- SILENT NO LONGER: A priest speaks out!
- Mike Piazza – Baseball Hall of Fame Speech: “…the greatest gift a mother could give a child, the gift of my Catholic Faith.”
- Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Zuhlsdorf’s Law isn’t finished with me yet, CW, and Echolink
- Feminist v. Christian
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy does not mean turning a blind eye to Justice
- The blog, donations and you.
- GIRM WARS: Another front opens in Iowa
- Card. Burke on Islam and our choices for the future
- WDTPRS – 17th Ordinary Sunday: Sin-Teflon and Demon-Kevlar
- 22 July: Happy FEAST of St. Mary Magdalene
- NOTE TO READERS: Registration, comments, Snail Mail and Email
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- Why aging liberals are so nasty and so frightened
- #gopconvention reminds me of two wonderful things
- Advice to new priests in first assignments who suffer under liberal pastors. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin to laugh or joke when in need of confession?
- Why are certain people afraid of “ad orientem” worship?
- Implementing ‘ad orientem’ worship with charity, prudence and courage
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Category Archives: Sin That Cries To Heaven
My mailbox is filling with notes of disgust from readers who ask for my reaction to something posted at the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) and about some other news items today. How to put it…? [No. Nope. I can’t write … Continue reading
At The Catholic Thing I saw excerpts of a piece by Fulton Sheen on Patriotism. As I have done in the past, I’ll read the whole thing for you. Recently, I read for you his essay on how we have … Continue reading
The usual unusual suspects are over the moon that Pope Francis made comments about “gays” (I detest the twisting of that once fine word) where else but on an airplane. Other suspects are shredding their garments. Frankly, this is much … Continue reading
“Let the Supreme Court send bishops and priests to jail … the Church cannot go against the law of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Mexican Catholics know something about persecution. From LifeSite: Mexican bishop and his clergy: We will go to jail rather than bless gay ‘marriages’ June 25, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – Following a declaration by the Mexican Supreme Court nullifying state laws prohibiting … Continue reading
Valencia’s Card. Cañizares persecuted for defending nature, common sense against “gender theory”, homosexualist agenda
UPDATE 23 June: Via Crux 2.0 Spanish cardinal who denounced ‘gay empire’ cleared of hate speech ROME-A judge in Spain ruled on Thursday that a cardinal denouncing an attack against the Christian family by a “gay empire” was not, simply … Continue reading
Robert Mickens, once a writer for The Tablet (aka The Bitter Pill aka RU-486) until he openly wrote that he wished that Benedict XVI should die, now writes for – who else – the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter). Mickens posted a … Continue reading
I was drafting something along these lines, but Fr. John Hunwicke has expressed also many of the points I wanted to get across (with my emphases and comment): Those who died in the most truly appalling events at Orlando … … Continue reading
Nancy “The Theologian” Pelosi rides again! Same-sex ‘marriage’ is perfectly “consistent” with Catholic Faith
It has been awhile since Rep. Nancy “The Theologian” Pelosi said something stupid about Catholicism. It’s her turn again! At LifeSite I read: Nancy Pelosi: Gay ‘marriage’ is ‘consistent’ with Catholic teaching WASHINGTON, D.C., June 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — House Minority Leader … Continue reading
I was just in Toledo… not Ohio. While I was in the glorious cathedral, and I heard that it had been the site of a mosque after the Visigothic church was torn down, it occurred to me that there are … Continue reading
I have written in the past of my grudging respect for Camille Paglia. Although I definitely am on the other side of the fence than she is on a number of issues, she is smart, honest, and writes beautifully (unlike … Continue reading
The Girl Scouts have gone crazy, which was predictable. Too bad. His Excellency Most Reverend Robert Carlson, Archbishop of St. Louis has cautioned the faithful under his charge about involvement with the Girl Scouts. Material has been posted on … Continue reading
Another trip, another presser, another post. A priest friend wrote to me: I’m writing a new prayer for all of us … a “Nine Hour Pope Plane Ride Novena.” I will write now what I have written before. Again, when … Continue reading
This comes from the Cardinal Newman Society: Catholic Colleges Should Claim Title IX Exemptions, Says Newman Society President As Title IX interpretations have expanded to include discrimination policies grounded in gender theory, Catholic colleges should have no qualms about claiming … Continue reading