Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Geoffrey: “Who cares? The Order of Malta is just a bunch of European Aristocrat s in denial over their increasing irrelevanc e.” That is a grossly uninformed or misinforme d stateme...
- maternalView: Last year a parish near me sponsored a concert by Schutte. I was thought it was laughable. I thought who’ d go to that? But apparently it was well attended. This is a parish...
- seashoreknits: Prayer to St. Joseph: check. Our parish continues to suffer torment with the 1987 edition of Glory and Praise filling every pew. Or maybe its just me.
- Discerning Altar Boy: I recently attended a parish mission given by my chaplain. It was so powerful to see the priests confess to one another before going to their posts to hear the faithfu...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: Thank you for informing us.
- robtbrown: frjim4321 says: The notion of “fasting” from the sacraments seems to be coming back, and not only from the left side of the house. Some of the homeschool ers that attend mass here “fast”...
- David: Surely the bottom line is that earlier the Vatican orchestrat ed a coup in which it took over the governing of the Knights while allowing a hand-picke ted puppet collaborat or. So curious...
- Semper Gumby: Diabolical , and prayers to St. Michael and other Saints indeed. Carrie wrote: “May be it’s a huge income source for the archdioces e, and not so easy to shut down for that...
- cengime: @Ave Crux: 1. Whether someone with a debilitati ng illness that will not kill them should not receive the sacrament? I say yes, they should not. Florence, Trent, and Vatican II have all...
- Midwest St. Michael: “Per haps all those people at our Spanish language Masses who don’t come up to communion are also feeling a smug superiorit y? I never thought of that!̶ 1; Heh. Good...
- Mike: Requested a traditiona l Mass through Operation Mission Stipends of the National Coalition of Clergy and Laity.
- Antonin: I mean in MY younger years̷ 0;women were all same age as me in 20’s and 30’s
- PTK_70: @Thorfinn& #8230;..Ju st as is the case with popular expression s of piety, I have a notion that Christian fellowship can take a variety of different forms, depending on circumstan ces,...
- Chaswjd: The content of the teaching merely confirms the adage “lex credenda, lex orandi. 221; While this is from years past, I have no informatio n that things have changed: https:/...
- benedetta: Homeschool ers are always a great blessing and asset to any parish. It’s wonderful when they are welcomed in charity by their priests and appreciate d. So much good comes out of...
- Antonin: Yes men need to stand up and especially for their sons. And Donald Trump for his bluster is a terrible representa tive of responsibi lity. Cheating on wives with porn actresses, joking...
- majuscule: I don’ t know if frjim4321 can read minds or not but he seems to know that people who observe a Wednesday “com munion fast” ; —hom eschoolers who observe a ̶...
- The Masked Chicken: The wording of the 1917 CIC and 1983 CIC are pretty similar as to when the anointing may be received, even though the understand ing of the Sacrament has become more nuanced in...
- AA Cunningham: “Tru th is treason in an empire of lies.̶ 1; Orwell With regard to Cardinal Burke: Card. Burke speaks up and His Eminence is scheduled to deliver a keynote speech at the...
- Ave Crux: @Cengime: thank you for your very comprehens ive reply. What you have shared raised two questions for me: One is about severely chronic and debilitati ng illnesses which are non life-th...
- JonPatrick: “We need a wide national dialogue about this.̶ 1; Unfortunat ely that is not likely to happen soon, for as Tucker Carlson said- one party basically remains in office due to...
- Titus: The scene at Lord Marchmain& #8217;s deathbed in Brideshead Revisited is an excellent demonstrat ion of the principles at work here.
- Kerry: G.E.M. Anscombe 8217;s 1972 essay, ‘Con traception and Chastity 8217;: http://www .orthodoxy today.org/ articles/A nscombeCha stity.php The last paragraph from T.S. Eliot̵ 7;s...
- TonyO: Let me clarify: you can’ t have lived 60+ years in the Church in this day, AND be educated and smart enough to make it to the office of archbishop , without being able to see and know...
- Unwilling: “Pab ulum” ; in Latin is “foo d”; in English first 17thC for plants or animals to maintain life and growth. Within 30 years also being used to refer to things...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fishwrap attacks @BpJamesJohnston of @DioceseKCSJ for stopping controversial concert
- 2018 Paschal Blue Moon on Vigil of Easter and more Moon stuff
- ACTION ITEM: Masses to rescue Lea Sharibu held by evil Islamic Boko Haram
- LENTCAzT 2018 38 – Friday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: The happiness of heaven
- Levity, Severity, the Confessional and YOU!
- Tucker Carlson’s series on plight of men in America, disastrous consequences for society
- ASK FATHER: Effect of Sacrament of Anointing in someone in mortal sin
- Really Bad Idea: sand in holy water fonts during Lent
- Author of The Dictator Pope suspended from the Order of Malta
- LENTCAzT 2018 37 – Thursday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: “The Easter problem is not….”
- How bad was the Three Days of Darkness this year?
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Fishwrap’s Wile E. Coyote v. @DouthatNYT and his new book for Pope Francis’ 5th anniversary
- The Extraordinary Form “raises the bar”
- Lettergate produces a casualty: Msgr. Viganò. Well… not quite.
- LENTCAzT 2018 36 – Wednesday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: It’s madness!
- ROME – 7 April – Conference: “Catholic Church, Where Are You Going?”
- UPDATE & ACTION ITEM for St. John Cantius in Chicago – @SJCantius
- “Not so fast!”, says the damned soul. “Amoris laetitia says,…”.
- LENTCAzT 2018 35 – Tuesday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: “Have mercy on me, at least you, my friends!”
- UPDATE on ACTION ITEM! Pray for important pro-life SCOTUS case! Arguments on 20 March.
- A charming 15th century view of St. Joseph
- My View For Awhile: Northward
- Author of “The Dictator Pope” revealed (officially) and book format now available
- LENTCAzT 2018 34 – Monday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: sin makes you stoopid
- ASK FATHER: Absolution at jail through glass, phone in visitor’s room
- The fruits of dumbing everything down, down, ever down.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and Passion Sunday POLL: veils on images
- LENTCAzT 2018 33 – 1st Passion Sunday, 5th of Lent: marked with the light of Thy countenance
- Dumb down liturgy. Great idea, right?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Women Religious
I read a story about Sr. Simone Campbell, of Nuns on the Bus fame. You will remember how she lobbies constantly and vocally for the platform of the Party of Death (aka Democrats) including abortion-promoting Obamacare (aka Unaffordable Care Act).
Sr. … Continue reading
Every month I get a small donation from the Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa. They are great! And they sing.
Singing nuns… they’re back!
Have a look at this. On 7 Feb 2017, the sisters sang the National Anthem at … Continue reading
A few days ago I was in Florence and I saw things and places associated with Savonarola. This, of course, reminded me of the smoke-scented glycerin soap made by the wonderful Summit Dominicans, the great “soap sisters”, called “Savonarola”… get it? … Continue reading
One of you readers sent me a link to a video from 1962, made in Ireland, about the changes in the Ritual for administration of sacraments, especially of Marriage and Baptism. They talk about the New Ritual, the introduction of … Continue reading
Today something passed my screen which reminded me of that incredible Catholic TV moment when Mother Angelica exploded about the shenanigans at World Youth Day in 1993 where a woman portrayed Christ for a Way of the Cross done in … Continue reading
This is pretty cool. A friend alerted me to this video of a young woman entering a Carmel.
You young women out there, think about it.
I don’t think that God is calling fewer women per capita to religious life than … Continue reading
From KIII TV in Texas. These sisters are a sister order to that of a holy sister with whom I worked in Rome.
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) –
In a time when our world is thirsty for hope and peace, … Continue reading
I’ve just learned via RNS that the NUNS ON THE BUS are back!
Nuns really get around these days. They are also being summoned to Rome for chats. But I digress.
Nuns on the bus will ride to political conventions
(RNS) Disturbed by … Continue reading
More hand-wringing at Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) over another summons of US nuns to Rome for a chat. They can join the Loretto Sisters, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, the line is getting longer.
Sisters of Mercy also being asked … Continue reading
As the number of leaders of groups of US women religious being summoned to Rome has been growing, an expert on the status quaesitionis of the same US groups, Ann Carey, offers some insights in the form of a dialogue. You all … Continue reading