Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- rcg: I remember when you had to *be* somebody to have one of those big, unblinking eyes ringed in fire. Now everybody can have one.
- RJBennett: I live in Germany, and I recently asked the pastor of my local parish f he would consider saying a Traditiona l Latin Mass. His response was, “Do you want us to go BACKWAR...
- Mike: Delta is up to its antics… My sincere empathy. I’ve long since become accustomed to regarding the airline oligopoly as the “inv isible hand of the free marketR 21; smacking us...
- frjim4321: I’ve heard made-up words of absolution . I think it’s a disservice . I’m always careful to pronounce the words correctly. It could be argued that some of the illicit...
- TonyO: I have had this exact experience happen, and I too wondered what is the best thing to do. Obviously if there is a pause in what Fr. is saying as advice, you have that opportunit y to speak...
- Andrew: Kathleen10 Yes, indeed. In those days, when a speech was given in public on the occasion of such a celebratio n, they still used Latin: which, I presume, was understood , if not by all,...
- daughteroflight: For curious people who want to find their territoria l parish, some (not all) dioceses in the USA actually have a parish search function on their website which also displays the...
- Kathleen10: The distance between planet earth and the sun seems shorter than the distance between the men in Rome of that time and the specimens we have now.
- Joe in Canada: A midwinter thaw? You cited a Jesuit, favorably!
- LarryW2LJ: “I recommend not suddenly shouting, “WAIT! THERE’S MORE!”R 21; Yes … 230;. it’s NEVER a good idea to give Father a heart attack!
- TonyO: GordonB, there can be an appearance of the same kind of “car ping” ; about how it “is& #8221; or “is not” obedience to the authority of the Teachers. I propose...
- padredana: What about the old formula in the vernacular ? My understand ing is that since Summorum Pontificum allows the use of the books in use in 1962, and in 1961 in the United States the use of...
- teomatteo: Also please note that a fundraiser will begin immediatel y after the mass (for a new roof!)
- Fr_Sotelo: The videos of Bishop Schneider are very impressive for his ability to articulate the crisis in the Church, maintainin g still his serene trust in Divine Providence and in the indefec...
- Imrahil: Of course, this “sou nds a lot like the SSPX” ;. The thing is, as far as the possibilit y of error by the Magisteriu m (acting below the level of infallibil ity) and the non-a...
- aiello01: Recovering New Testament Christiani ty would be more useful. [It wasn’ ;t “los t”. It’s with us now. We live it now. This is a false road. Christiani ty by defini...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: I’m not so sure someone with a scrupulous conscience would wait for an answer here in this forum. I guess it is possible but scrupulous ly usually produces a very unholy...
- APX: As someone with a terrible memory that has a tendency to go blank, I strongly recommend writing out one’ s sins. Not only will it keep you from forgetting them, but it will speed up the...
- bushboar: There̵ 7;s no such thing as a “sam e sex spouseR 21; so there̵ 7;s no danger of scandal. Problem solved!
- GordonB: Not to split hairs, but this sounds remarkably alike to what I understand (though perhaps my understand ing is wrong) the Society of St. Pius X says when raising concerns about certain...
- ChrisP: Prof Lawler and Salzman need to take a undergrad, simpletons course in the Creighton fertility method and ancillary NaPro Technology . It will avail their Nazgul like minds of true sexual...
- JMody: Cardinal Müller is a definite treasure. Such a shame that he is no longer running CDF. I was struck by two things reading this: 1. In his exposition on the question of obedience and absol...
- stephen c: I never believed that Pius XII was as helpful as his detractors say he was to the evil and violent politician s of his day. So, I have not prayed for him the way I pray for our poor...
- Dean: “Rem ember that you are a beloved child of God” , those were the first words more than a decade ago after my first confession in over 4 years in which I had confessed to serious...
- Sawyer: It increasing ly seems that quite a few “the ologians 8221; consider their role to be purveyors of sophistry whose aim is to play word games with traditiona l theologica l terms in...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Year of Faith
The Enchiridion Indulgentiarum 26 indicates that we can gain plenary indulgences on 31 December and 1 January.
§ 1. A plenary indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, in a church or in an oratory, are present [take part] in … Continue reading
U.S. Bishops call for project of prayer, fasting to begin 30 DECEMBER to defend Life, Marriage, Religious Liberty – FR Z POLL
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Did you know that the Bishops of these United States of America have asked for Catholics to pray, fast and abstain on Fridays, and take part in a holy hour each month?
Call To … Continue reading
At the blog Southern Orders, Fr. Allan McDonald had a few things to say about liberals and Vatican II and what freaks them out.
Here is a taste with my emphases and comments:
The progressive, liberal element of the Church since Vatican … Continue reading
3 December: His account is up and running: @Pontifex
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
On Monday we will find out what the Pope’s new Twitter handle is.
There will be a press conference in Rome on Monday to reveal more details … Continue reading
My old pastor, the late Msgr. Schuler used to say that “You can go into the ditch on either side of the road, left or right. Either way, you are still in a ditch.”
This has been my concern about some … Continue reading
UPDATE 30 Nov 18:07 GMT:
Since the beginning of November, through this, from what I can tell we have sold on Amazon:
mp3 downloads – 28
CDs – 177
Orant et laborant!
I was sent a photo of the nuns unloading the boxes of … Continue reading
While no effort of evangelization can ultimately be successful without a revitalization of our liturgical worship, neither will we succeed in a lasting way without performing spiritual and corporal works of mercy.
This morning I saw a great story about a … Continue reading
Fr. Finigan at his fine blog, The Hermeneutic of Continuity, has a piece today about something Card. Kasper told Anglicans at Lambeth in 2006 as the then-President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.
Here is an excerpt:
It [viz. the ordination … Continue reading
It is “Cyber Monday”, as the online retailers are calling it!
I guess this is a secular money day of obligation.
Okay… now that you are online… buy some …
Mystic Monk Coffee!
There are so many good reasons to refresh or build … Continue reading
From a reader:
I advised a friend that Catholics are either to abstain from meat on Fridays or to substitute another form of prayer, good work, or abstinence; and that she should confess if she failed to do this. In the … Continue reading
A deeper sense of decorum is needed in our worship.
The older form of Holy Mass of the Roman Rite, the Usus Antiquior, must return – and will return – in strength. Recovery of the older form will exert a “gravitational … Continue reading
A video of interest HERE.