Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JARay: I am an Instituted Acolyte and have been so for 42 years. I do live in Australia and not the USA. I have never had the chance to act as a Subdeacon but I would have loved having the chance...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: There are ritual difference s between a subdeacon (which basically almost never exists now outside of Trad groups) and a straw subdeacon though, yes?
- ScottSenffner: I wish I could have gone to this conference . I have been part of the Acton Institute for many years and would love someday to mingle with all of you.
- Fr. Kelly: In my diocese of Lincoln, we have a regular program of installati on of permanent lectors and acolytes, following the stipulatio ns of Ministeria Quaedam as Fr. Z pointed out. Pope Paul...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Fr. Z. Mysteria Quaedam “abolished ” the “major” order of subdeacon, and provided that “the functions heretofore assigned to the subdeacon are entrusted to the...
- robtbrown: Another eggplant pasta recipe, this from Ormond Plantation , just west of New Orleans and a few miles from Oak Alley. Eggplant Maurepas Eggplant slices lightly breaded and fried served...
- robtbrown: I recommend The Intellectu al Life by Sertillang es. It can be downloaded pdf.
- robtbrown: Semper Gumby, I was not defending Francis nor denying that some of his comments are confusing. Like certain other Jesuits whose works I am familiar with, he seems out of touch...
- PTK_70: If you think that Jesus of Nazareth – his life, his person – is little more than a blip on the radar screen of human history, there really is no reason to identify as Cathol...
- mepoindexter: The way I look at it is when it comes to your own kids, you’ ve got to stick with what works. As the dad it’s my job to do everything in my power to make sure they get to...
- arga: I read Fr SchallR 17;s piece this morning. It’s easily one of his best short essays. Really terrific. What a treasure the man is.
- LarryW2LJ: This is all the reason I need; and it was summed up by one who was so very much a frail human sinner- just like me: Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the...
- NH Knight: “AA1 025” , “The School of Darkness 8221; by Bella Dodd and “The Catholic Church and the Soviet Government ” by Dr. Dennis J Dunn paint a picture of...
- Ylonila del Mar: This might be an aside, but I guess I can see why the National Council of Churches in the Philippine s has ties with communist rebels here. Lately they’ ;ve been going all-out...
- TopTomato: I am wondering if there is an error at the end of this sentence: “We are truly free but our freedom is the fruit of His will for us His images. 221; I don’ t understand it...
- SanSan: As a “rem nant” ; of Holy Mother Church, I will stay in the “bar k” of Peter, holding tightly to the mast, until I am delievered into the arms of my Savior. It will...
- Sandy: “Her etics insist on staying in the ChurchR 30;” Reading “Ung odly Rage” ; years ago burned that statement into my mind. When the “her etic” ; nuns were...
- GregB: The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel has a link to the last Fatima apparition during the Miracle of the Sun. The three children saw a series of visions, one of which was of Our Lady...
- Andrew: A Romano senatu venit edictum, ut posthac liberum sit cuique vesci, quibus velit. Per me quidem vel LIMACIBUS vescatur, qui volet. (Erasmus: Colloquia)
- Grateful to be Catholic: Father, stop, you are killing me. Snails in garlicky butter, or is it buttery garlic, to be sopped up with fresh, crusty bread: to die for! My father once went to a resta...
- LarryW2LJ: I had escargot only once in my life. Maybe it was just me; but I sensed no distinct flavor other than the garlic butter they were served in. I know that people tend to get put off,...
- Grant M: “Go to any Novus Ordo Mass and see the proportion of young people to old people”. Well, location, location, location. One Sunday morning last year I attended the NO Mass at a parish in...
- richiedel: In addition to its nearness to the solstice, another reason why we celebrate the feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist on June 24 is that it’s six months before Christm...
- Lorra: My priest said that without sanctifyin g grace, even if you saved a man from drowning, that heroic and charitable act will avail you nothing for Eternal Life.
- frjim4321: Parables aren’ ;t allegories , they are lessons with an intentiona l point. We’r e not free to just say what they mean for “me, ” Today, it’s clear that...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
- PHILIPPINES: To arm priests or not to arm?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: You must be joking!
The New catholic Red Guards do not rest. They are marching and sloganeering up and down Twitter, pumping the air with their Little Red Books. The cadres are giving their morning orders to the useful idiot lib masses about whom to … Continue reading
One of Pope Francis’ very most favoritists of the Italian bishops, personally raised by the pontifical hand to power in the episcopal conference, Bp. Nunzio Galantino, gave a talk at my old school, the Pontifical Lateran University (“The Pope’s University”) … Continue reading
I have had some questions about a rumor going around that dramatic changes are going to be imposed on the older, traditional Form of Roman Rite. Someone thinks that the new Lectionary and calendar will be imposed on the 1962 Missale … Continue reading
The Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left, Michael Sean Winters, recently wrote:
Cardinal Gerhard Müller thinks the pope should appoint a group of cardinals to debate the “dubia” submitted by four cardinals regarding Amoris Laetitia. Bad idea. The church is not a debating society. … Continue reading
UPDATE: See comments, below, for possible alternative explanations involving filters.
As reported by Corriere, the Vatican spokesman said: “nessun blocco, la notizia e falsa”… “ma figuratevi se facciano questo per una lettera di sessanta persone”. Also the head of the Vatican … Continue reading
I’m am irritated with the Knights of Columbus for a couple reasons.
The KCs are changing their Fourth Degree uniform.
I am not heavily invested in the KCs’ Fourth Degree uniform, mind you. But consider the implications.
Here is another reason via the newspaper … Continue reading
Writers for the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) and Amerika type Jesuits want us to become like these forward-looking, progressives whom they so idolize.
This was sent by a friend. Here’s a smattering with my emphases and comments.
From American Conservative:
Spin Of The Year [Accompanied by a pic … Continue reading
From a reader…
With the increase of transgender people pushing their agenda, would it be possible for a biological woman who thinks she’s a he and has gone through the Sex “change” process somehow slip through the cracks and make it to ordination, or … Continue reading
This is pretty bad. Let’s call it Reason #9577 for Summorum Pontificum.
This is the ordination of a man of Tamil origin in the Diocese of Rodez, in France.
One must ask how it was that they thought that some of these … Continue reading
UPDATE 8 June: BELOW
Originally Published on: Jun 2, 2017 ___
A while back, the head of the Jesuits, their Superior General Fr. Arturo Sosa Ascobal, opined that we don’t know what the Lord taught because no one had a tape recorder. HERE … Continue reading
Some years ago, in a burst of still slightly youthful zeal, I revamped my personal, clerical, family coat of arms with elements that were “meaningful”. A clerical student, deep student, of things heraldic – though rather antisocial – took me to … Continue reading
Today at TCT my friend Fr. Murray drills into the implications of Card. Coccopalmerio’s stunning statements which undermine our understanding of sacraments.
Coccopalmerio characterized the Church’s teaching on the question of Anglican orders as follows: “We have had, and we still … Continue reading