Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Sawyer: @LeeGilber t, I saw Anthony Ruff’ ;s curt response to you at praytellbl og. He completely ignored your statements and question about the decline in belief about the Real Presence. He...
- Mike: Once one accepts that after Vatican 2 Jesuitism became Teilhardia n rather than Catholic, all this makes sense, insofar as it can.
- LeeGilbert: In response to SawyerR 17;s note that praytell was addressing Cdl Sarah̵ 7;s preface, I made the following comment there and hope that others will engage them as well. Well,...
- robtbrown: A distinctio n must be made between Hatha yoga, primarily a group of stretching and breathing exercise, and Mantra yoga, a method of meditation . A mantra is one word, often of one...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Spadaro wrote: “In theology 2 + 2 can equal 5. Because it has to do with God and the real life of people… 221; Huh. In the real life of people writing 2+2=5 on your tax...
- Ellen: At our parish we have EMHC, but I always try to go where Father is distributi ng. I receive on the tongue – always. I’ve been to Mass at the chapel of the Fathers of Mercy where...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- bookworm: I don’ t see where mere positionin g without an explicit purpose of praying is enough to constitute prayer; if it were, then one would be potentiall y worshiping false gods or...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z for this excerpt from Garrigou-L agrange. Interestin g connection with this Station Church and St. Crispin of Henry V fame, Enrico Fermi, and ham sandwiches . Great...
- VexillaRegis: Dear Paul of St Paul, the CAF usually has reliable answers: https://ww w.catholic .com/magaz ine
- Eugene: Heavenly Father in thy great mercy I beg of Thee to bring this true Shepherd of souls, Cardinal Sarah to the throne of Peter as soon as possible so that right worship and right teach...
- Gabriel Syme: Why do we insist on communicat ing standing and on the hand? There are multiple answers to this question and the influence of each doubtless varies from person to person: 1) Lack of...
- Gabriel Syme: Another great contributi on from Cardinal Sarah. Meanwhile, the German Bishops have announced they are about to release “pas toral guidelines ” to permit the issuing of...
- HvonBlumenthal: Is there really a « dialogue » between the forms? Does anyone seriously think that the Ordinary Form has anything to offer the Extraordin ary, that from the Novus Ordo we can find...
- Ave Crux: Later, in a well publicized comment on “Twitter” which operates according to stable and constant principles of applied engineerin g,…& #8221; Fatherrrrr ….I failed to heed...
- Kennedy: robtbrown, Many thanks. The date of publicatio n of Third Millennium would fit in with the time frame when I attended his talk.
- Julia_Augusta: Pergolesi’ s Stabat Mater is a hauntingly beautiful piece. The best recording I have heard is the one with Andreas Scholl (counterte nor), Barbara Bonney, and Les Talents Lyriq...
- GregB: You need a mystical understand ing of the Mystical Body of Christ in order to understand the male priesthood . The relationsh ip between Christ and His Church is said to be spousal. Christ...
- tominrichmond: The current practice has become hard-wired unfortunat ely, since it seems to be the universal practice to instruct first communican ts to receive in the hand and standing; and if any...
- mo7: So while I TLM on Sundays, weekdays are the local NO. The priest at the N.O. always fishes around among the hosts to give me one of the broken pieces of the large host used at the consecr...
- Gaetano: I am sorry to say that this is not even close to the most heterodox practice at St. Francis Xavier. Also note that the altar does not serve as a stabilizer when you can’ t maint...
- Dan: Every time Cardinal Sarah speaks (or writes) I find myself saying. Yes! Yes! THAT!!!
- Paul of St Paul: I was not aware of Catholic concerns about yoga until this post. If Father or readers could spare the time I would appreciate a short post on this subject, or a link to a longer...
- Sawyer: The praytellbl og has picked up on Cardinal Sarah̵ 7;s remarks too. Over there the readers 217; comments are overwhelmi ngly mocking him for his suggestion , saying that his Euchar...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Search Results for: LCWR
The Leadership Conference of Women Religious annual assembly will take place later in the summer. I will, of course, apply again for credentials to attend. But I am really hoping to be invited as a speaker.
To that end, I … Continue reading
His Holiness Pope Francis has again disappointed the proponents of female machismo everywhere.
At News.va read about his address to the Women’s Section of the Pontifical Council for the Laity on the 25th anniversary of Blessed Pope John Paul II’s Apostolic … Continue reading
One of the stranger groups of women religious who belong to the LCWR crowd are the Sinsinawa Domincans, whose motherhouse is in southern Wisconsin, in the Diocese of Madison.
You might review my post NUNS GONE WILD for a glimpse of … Continue reading
A while back I opined (HERE) about the LCWR assembly speakers:
How do we explain the antics of the LCWR nuns?
I have the impression that – and mothers can correct me about the right age for this sort of thing – … Continue reading
In the National Catholic Register the expert on what has happened to women religious in the last few decades, Ann Carey, comments on the LCWR.
LCWR 2013 Assembly: Little Evidence Yet of Any Reforms
Now the question is: How long is the … Continue reading
The LCWR breaks silence for a post-assembly press release. They rejected me, but I’ll share this anyway. My emphases and comments:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Leadership Conference of Women Religious Assembly Explores the Needs of the Global Community
[Orlando, FL] At the annual assembly of … Continue reading
The Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) reports that the LCWR nuns had a conclave. I’d report it myself, but the nuns rejected my request for media credentials.
It seems that they locked the doors, posted specially-hired security guards, eschewed wireless microphones, … Continue reading
I’ve been thinking about the LCWR meeting, which – sadly – is in its final hours. (Have I mentioned that they rejected me?)
What greater sign that the CDF take-over is really working, and that it is game over for the … Continue reading
The LCWR Woodstock 2013 has begun at Yasgur’s Farm … er… the Caribe Royale Resort near Disney World in Orlando.
Today they had a talk from their featured speaker, Sr. Ilia Delio, OSF.
Excerpts from the National Catholic Register coverage:
LCWR Keynote Speaker … Continue reading
The inimitable Sr. Maureen Fiedler has taken it upon her broad shoulder to be spokesone for the LCWR.
We know that a past mentor of the LCWR is annoyed that Archbp. Sartain (appointed by the CDF to keep his eyes on … Continue reading
The nuns aren’t happy.
That is to say the LCWR nuns aren’t happy. All the traditional sisters are happy.
It seems that the LCWR’s Vatican Overlord is going to attend the whole of the LCWR meeting at the swanky Royale Caribe hotel … Continue reading
If some of you are wondering what is going on with the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, there is a good summary piece at the National Catholic Register. That’s the Register, not the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap… which is … Continue reading
I missed this the other day. On review, it is important enough to post about.
Over at Fishwrap, the National Schismatic Reporter, there is an interview with the head of the LCWR, Sr. Florence Deacon, from 7 May, while she was … Continue reading
Here is something that I never thought I would write.
Fr. Z kudos to Jamie Manson of the National Schismatic Reporter.
One of Fishwrap‘s headliners, a darling of LCWR, the openly-lesbian, Margaret Farley-mentored Jamie Manson has sobered up about Pope Francis.
She has … Continue reading
In a story about the CDF smackdown on the LCWR, USA Today quotes Sr. Simone Campbell of the ultra-poltical, ultra-liberal Nuns on the Bus crowd.
Sr. Campbell is too smart actually to believe this, but let’s read it anyway:
[…] Sister Simone … Continue reading
The spin continues.
Another example comes from Fr. James Martin, SJ of America Magazine. (Remember his Twitter campaign to show appreciation of the nuns?)
Martin’s arguments against despair over CDF’s smackdown of the the LCWR do not convince. This is … Continue reading
Let the games begin!
The Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) is now between a rock and a hard spot.
The NSR and LCWR are practically one flesh. At the same time, NSR has been crooning about Pope Francis new “humble” style.
I have … Continue reading
Today the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith smacked down, hard, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious. This is, as you may remember, the group of leaders of communities of women religious (not all the religious themselves, but the … Continue reading