HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Jonathan Marshall: “It was no life for the faint-hear ted, the timid or the too gentle, or the openly sensitive& #8221; – but that’ ;s just what it has become in the last 50 years....
- rtattersall: Mass against pagans? It was reparation s and adoration against Satanists last night here in Ottawa. Our Archbishop and several priests led prayers on the steps of Notre Dame Basili...
- Semper Gumby: A Chuck Norris meme. When Chuck Norris attends a feminist rally he comes back with his shirt ironed and a sandwich.
- Richard A: I loved the younger white guy defending Father, and the younger white woman trying to get that older woman to tone it down after Mass. And then a group of old white folks singing ̶...
- MitisVis: You may also want to look at Ghostery as some extra control of unwanted meddling. I also use Win7 and many other OS’s
- rollingrj: As a reminder, Romano Guardini devoted separate chapters of “The Spirit Of The Liturgy 221; to both the work (The Seriousnes s…) and play (The Playfulnes s…) invol...
- Scott Woltze: Many local faithful went to the morning mass at St. Francis today to support Fr. George, and it was a beautiful mass. Fr. George is an exceptiona l priest: very reverent, devout,...
- Charles E Flynn: We must maintain the infrastruc ture of these parishes, in case they get recaptured by Catholics.
- RK3: Right on, Fr. Z. Parishes and dioceses should be looking to the future and planning towards maintainin g parishes and dioceses when the money pits dry up. Don’ t forget, too, that most...
- Richard A: Surely not on Friday!
- GrumpyYoungMan: Diocesan TLM. The ordinary way to receive God’ s mercy is through sacramenta l confession .
- ChesterFrank: The Mass of all the Ages becomes the Mass of all the Aged. If you don’ t like something have a spittle flecked nutty, that was the lesson to the following generation s. Maybe I...
- JTH: Bishop Emeritus: Through all the tumult we face today, remember to love one another.
- Semper Gumby: A friend has pointed out a problemati c excerpt in an article titled “How to Think Like a Terrorist& #8221; by the excellent John Zmirak: “An act of terror is one that...
- Les Buissonets: Readers who enjoy ‘Gra ndmother and the Priests 217;/̵ 7;To See the Glory̵ 7; might also like the same authorR 17;s ‘The Man who Listens 217; and its...
- Fr. Timothy Ferguson: I would offer to appoint as pastor any priest who has been ordained from this community in the last 20 years.
- Semper Gumby: A friend has remarked on an article from several days ago by the excellent Bradley Birzer. Unfortunat ely, the “Hor rors of Modern Public Opinion 221; apparently relies on a...
- Kerry: …and the Thermians from the Klaatu nebula lower their faces, “Tho se poor peopleR 21;.
- Semper Gumby: If I could continue the theme here, another recommende d book is James Turner Johnson 217;s “The War to Oust Saddam Hussein: Just War and the New Face of Conflict.& #8221;
- Peter Stuart: This struggling SSA’ s dollars go with him to the SSPX, without which who knows where I’d be.
- Semper Gumby: A helpful Ask Father. Thanks to Fr. Z and reader. On the Crusades see Thomas MaddenR 17;s books and Rodney Stark̵ 7;s “God ’s Battalions : The Case for the Crusad...
- Kathleen10: We can keep the beautiful churches, all the lovely grounds and beautiful artifacts of our faith, but we have to keep the same men in charge we have now, and we know we are suffer...
- Philmont237: My understand ing is that a scapular has to e worn “over the shoulder so that one part hangs over your chest and the other side hangs over the back. However, that’s how an IOTV is...
- TonyO: Who, what, is going to provide the wallop providing the ecclesiast ical wake-up call? We appear to be on a terrible jag, and another cocktail will not do the trick. I am unable to imagine...
- Lurker 59: In a certain sense, withholdin g money is akin to chemo — you hope that it kills the cancer in the Church before it kills the Church. There are other ways of helping one’ s...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- “My sons playing Mass ‘against pagans’.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Our attitude at the altar
- That tragic Portland parish, the mistreatment of the priest. Fr. Z’s solution: “Let’s make a deal!”
- Is cutting off the money the way to go?
- ASK FATHER: Can I wear a scapular on my bullet proof vest?
- BOOK: Grandmother and the Priests
- What is a “liturgist”? Some thoughts.
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: Live in love to have later Love Himself
- Adventures in “gay” ad blocking
- Lighter Fare For Friday
- ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.
- The latest podcast on the upcoming Synod from Damian, Unbound. “@HolySmoke” is right!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?
- @JamesMartinSJ praises preaching by a religious sister. Let’s consider what he praised!
- VIDEO: 1950 – Pius XII infallibly proclaims the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Shoot up in Philadelphia – cops injured. I’m a simple guy and I’m worried.
- ASK FATHER: Priest puts up scandalous “gay” flag for annual public “pride” week. Bishop: zero help.
- Your Good News
- A Black Mass in the Vatican at the time of Vatican II?
- BACK TO SCHOOL TIME?
- 14 Aug -St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media! #CQ
- It’s no surprise at all that Catholics don’t know or believe about the Eucharist. After all, worship is doctrine and we are our rites!
- A quick look at some ‘c’atholic media
- BOOK : A guide for forming Catholic gentlemen and future priests – and a mini rant.
- ASK FATHER: Am I obliged to tell an old priest about his liturgical ad libs?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – What Catholics DO BELIEVE about the Eucharist!
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: Father God, not Stranger God
- ASK FATHER: Was I automatically excommunicated?
- Fr. Murray makes a point – VIDEO
- Great. Just… great! Another thing to worry about.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: act of contrition
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I went to confession at a nearby parish recently. This is the first time I’ve done confession with this particular priest. Obviously in a hurry to keep the confession line moving as quickly as possible, [bless him] the priest, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I now happen to live 10 minutes’ walk from the local FSSPX chapel here in London. I don’t intend to make it my customary place for Mass (tempting as that is) unless and until a regularisation … Continue reading
From a reader… who recently went to confession! Everyone… GO TO CONFESSION! QUAERITUR: I just went. Yay! After confessing my sins I had a question about a friend who fell away from church. It took 2 minutes, 3 tops. I don’t usually … Continue reading
From a Chinese reader who asks for help: I am a Chinese Catholic and many of our prayers are translations from some original Latin edition. One of the most beautiful is the traditional Act of Contrition which is still commonly … Continue reading
From a reader: A confessor I go to has recently made it his practice to whisper the words of absolution while I am saying the Act of Contrition. The first time he did this I did not catch it and … Continue reading
From a reader: During Confession, the parochial vicar at my parish insists that I say the Act of Contrition after absolution, when I have left the confessional. So I say it in the pew prior to doing my penance. I … Continue reading
From a reader: Father, I went to Confession this weekend and the confessor was a man with a very thick [FOREIGN] accent. On top of that, while pronouncing the absolution he seemed… a little out of it (that sounds like … Continue reading
Every once in a while I get an email asking for the Act of Contrition in Latin. I am not sure why one would want to say her Act of Contrition in Latin. It seems to me that the Act … Continue reading
Summer time and early autumn may not involve a great liturgical cycle such as Advent/Christmas, Lent/Easter, during which we may be reminded to prepare for a great feast by confession. But every Sunday is a feast of precept, a Holy … Continue reading
From a reader, edited: Would it be acceptable, when in the confessional, to recite the Act of Contrition in Latin? Over the past several years I have become proficient in a fair number of Latin prayers, including those of the … Continue reading
Today I was talking to a friend about a parish he visited. He saw that penitents waiting for confession were using a printed form or sheet that had a structured form for making a confession as well as an Act … Continue reading
From a reader: My parish pastor forgets to ask me to say the Act of Contrition after I’ve finished my Confession. (I should note that he is from Cuba and that he does not speak English well at all, although … Continue reading