BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- babochka69 said JesusFreak84: I’m happy for the wounded sol...
- SaintJude6 said I agree with rot brown on the necessary addition o...
- IloveJesus said mo7 wrote: “My Jewish classmates didn’t spe...
- Mike said Several day-job projects spinning up nicely (all a...
- Traductora said Just wanted to say I bought a KeepGo upon your ear...
- Fr. Thomas Kocik said Prayerful says: “… a person will only hear a...
- ddhue said Our son was accepted as a seminarian!
- LarryW2LJ said Not my quote – that was from historian and a...
- HighMass said We pray to God to have a next Pope like Cardinal B...
- Art said stuart reiss, I’m usually against liturgical...
- Lutgardis said AnnTherese — You put “spiritual streng...
- Leslee said Our son will be celebrating the Sacrament of Matr...
- un-ionized said I am walking much better and went up a flight of s...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said My wife and I have just (on 13th) celebrated our S...
- GrumpyYoungMan said EF. Father said he typically talks about the readi...
- catholictrad said AnnTherese – In our diocesan TLM parish the...
- albinus1 said @crych: re: “classical studies”: That...
- Kathleen10 said Oh that was wonderful! What that must have sounde...
- JesusFreak84 said The homily really didn’t have to do with the...
- JesusFreak84 said Honestly, having attended a Ukrainian Catholic par...
- Matilda P said Dave N., I recently had the blessing of meeting a...
- jhayes said Musicus writes There are 2 reasons that GIRM #299...
- ajf1984 said Is it possible, in cricket, to “hit one out...
- Giuseppe said LarryW2LJ, How about the internet? Without which w...
- Fr. Reader said @Orlando There are many resources on the internet,...
- APX said Admittedly, I never gave much thought to Rugby unt...
- robtbrown said LarryW2LJ says: “There are only three things that...
- introibo said OK, not a Mets fan (husband is, I’m a Yankee...
- LarryW2LJ said “There are only three things that America will be...
- APX said Because male and female voices do not blend well Y...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Who is Sen. Tim Kaine as a Catholic?
- Your Good News
- Wherein Fr. Z becomes a fan of the Samoan Rugby Team
- SILENT NO LONGER: A priest speaks out!
- Mike Piazza – Baseball Hall of Fame Speech: “…the greatest gift a mother could give a child, the gift of my Catholic Faith.”
- Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Zuhlsdorf’s Law isn’t finished with me yet, CW, and Echolink
- Feminist v. Christian
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy does not mean turning a blind eye to Justice
- The blog, donations and you.
- GIRM WARS: Another front opens in Iowa
- Card. Burke on Islam and our choices for the future
- WDTPRS – 17th Ordinary Sunday: Sin-Teflon and Demon-Kevlar
- 22 July: Happy FEAST of St. Mary Magdalene
- NOTE TO READERS: Registration, comments, Snail Mail and Email
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- Why aging liberals are so nasty and so frightened
- #gopconvention reminds me of two wonderful things
- Advice to new priests in first assignments who suffer under liberal pastors. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin to laugh or joke when in need of confession?
- Z-SWAG: HOLY MASS – TURN TOWARDS THE LORD AGAIN!
- Why are certain people afraid of “ad orientem” worship?
- Implementing ‘ad orientem’ worship with charity, prudence and courage
- PODCAzT 149: Interview with Fr. Richard Heilman – Part 2
- Aspirants to Religious Life, Priesthood, DEBT, and You – ACTION ITEM!
- A US bishop “expects”, but doesn’t command, that Mass be said “facing the people”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The Church in Germany is crashing and burning
- ASK FATHER: Last prayer at the point of death
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: ADVENT
We are in the last day of Advent. Observe this period with greater intensity of preparation, remembering especially that Advent is mostly about preparation for the Second Coming of the Lord, even as we rejoice that the Son took up … Continue reading
The 1962MR for the 1st Sunday of Advent stressed the Second Coming, and therefore attentive penance. Yet in the Postcommunion last week, the priest brought us back to preparation also for the approaching feast of the Nativity: “May we receive, … Continue reading
I was sent a code for an iPhone/iPad app for Advent developed by the folks who put out the Magnificat liturgical aid. Click HERE for a link to the app. $0.99 in iTunes. Advent Companion App is a fusion of … Continue reading
For your Advent, pre-Christmas reflection… the text from Matins of Christmas. Think about this for the next month, in the version by Lauridsen, sung about as well as you might hear it sung. O magnum mysterium, et admirabile sacramentum, ut … Continue reading
Today’s Ordinary Form Super Oblata prayer, the prayer over the offerings during the Offertory, is found in the ancient Veronese Sacramentary amidst prayers for the month of July. SUPER OBLATA – (2002MR): Suscipe, quaesumus, Domine, munera quae de tuis offerimus … Continue reading
Some veteran readers here know about my annual rant about BLUE vestments during Advent. Lest all other Advent considerations be overshadowed by the implementation of the new, corrected translations, herebelow I rant. I think this liturgical abuse is fading, but … Continue reading
In this rapid PODCAzT I return to a hymn I dissected a few years ago in another of these audio projects, the hymn for Vespers during Advent, Conditor or Creator alme siderum, in the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the … Continue reading
Bl. Carl Lampert: ” ‘I love my Church. I remain faithful to my Church and to the priesthood. I am on Christ’s side and I love His Church.”
I had determined last year that this year I would during Advent read a book Advent of the Heart, reflections by a priest who died in Dachau, Fr. Alfred Delp – a fellow Lutheran convert. (Kindle version. UK book.) Remember: … Continue reading
From a reader: Do you have any suggestions for where I can buy a good Advent wreath online? Why, yes! I do! Since the Mystic Monks don’t have Advent Wreathes, I suggest that you use my links to Amazon. They … Continue reading
In these final days of Advent preparation, the Church prays with great intensity. It is one of the “greater feria” of Advent, the home stretch, as it were. Here is today’s COLLECT (2002MR): Concede, quaesumus, omnipotens Deus, ut, qui sub … Continue reading
This Collect was in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary. In the 1962MR it was one of the prayers for Ember Saturday of Advent. The cutting, snipping experts of Fr. Bugnini’s Consilium decided in their wisdom to add a word, salutari, for … Continue reading
Today, Ember Wednesday of Advent, those who have the use of the older, traditional Roman Missal, offer worship to God with the so-called Missa aurea, the “Golden Mass”. There is a strong Marian overtone to today’s Mass formulary. The Roman … Continue reading
Here is the Collect for Wednesday of the 3rd Week of Advent. COLLECT: Praesta, quaesumus, omnipotens Deus, ut Filii tui ventura sollemnitas et praesentis nobis vitae remedia largiatur, et praemia aeterna concedat. This prayer was in Rotulus 6 published with … Continue reading
Here is the Collect for Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Advent: COLLECT (2002MR): Deus, qui novam creaturam per Unigenitum tuum nos esse fecisti, in opera misericordiae tuae propitius intuere, et in adventu Filii tui ab omnibus nos maculis vetustatis … Continue reading
COLLECT (1962MR): Aurem tuam, quaesumus, Domine, precibus nostris accommoda: et mentis nostrae tenebras, gratia tuae visitationis illustra. The multi-volume Corpus orationum says this prayer was, with variations, in numerous ancient manuscripts. The mickle Lewis & Short Dictionary says accommodo means … Continue reading