Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- maternalView: This whole fake news thing just makes me roll my eyes. As if that hasn’ ;t been going on for decades. Disinforma tion was par for the course for the Soviets and their minions. No...
- La Serenissima: At the Saturday evening Vigil Mass, our priest, here in Italy, linked the first reading from Jeremiah with Gabriel 217;s announceme nt to Zechariah … that “fro m the...
- maternalView: So wonderful! Close to tearing up as I read this. Inspiring! As laity it’s not to learn to go deeper into our faith too!
- maternalView: As to whether other questionab le issues may have came to light, would it not have been better and even more kind to the parishione rs to perhaps simply said Father will remain with...
- Joy65: Father mentioned about the 3 major birthdays we celebrate in the Church and besides Jesus and Mary , John the Baptist is one of those 3. He also made the point that St. John was the great...
- Fr.JP: No law transgress ed but no faculties. Could be that he was doing things which were suspicious …and while not technicall y breaking any law, they have deemed him to be dangero...
- exNOAAman: One of our (young) TLM priests here wrote a little piece about learning the EF. He said to be a priest and not learning the TLM is like aspiring to be a parking valet but not knowing how...
- iPadre: God bless Father Heilman! Ad Multos Annos! You are doing great work at St. Mary’ ;s.
- Akita: What a beautiful piece of news! Tears of joy are welling up in my eyes. May every grace be Father Heilman’s. Our Lady must be so pleased. Thank you Father Heilman for this magnificen t work...
- Kathleen10: Oh, Fr. Heilman! I’m so happy for you, and so grateful you did this! It is not easy, not at all, it is a challengin g and intimidati ng idea, to learn it, but you obviou...
- Deo volente: Father Heilman has also just put out an app called “MyC onfessor 8221; for iPhones and Androids. He wrote about this yesterday or today. The app allows priests to login and...
- bibi1003: I’ll have to remember to take Reuters 217; reports with a grain of salt. Most people don’ t have the time or inclinatio n to read news from multiple sources to separ...
- yatzer: May God richly bless him, and you.
- Charivari Rob: It’s hard to make out, especially since there has been no direct public statement from the Archdioces e. The few places I’ve read about it so far, a majority of the...
- Antonin: @ Ages CORRECT
- LeeGilbert: This decision by His Eminence Cardinal Cupich and the reaction here and elsewhere throughout the Catholic blogsphere seem like a reprise of life in the Church for the past five years....
- TonyO: I am no canon lawyer, but as far as I know the bishop ordinary of a diocese does not have to give a reason for refusing to grant faculties to a priest to begin with, or failing to grant a...
- revueltos67: “The re should really be clarificat ion from the Archbishop as to his reasons. 8221; Clarificat ion: “I am the cardinal archbishop , I do not need to give reasons for any...
- Catholic Roman: There is neither joy nor love in the way Fr. Phillips has been treated by a prelate who is considered world expert on proper interpreta tion of the Joy of Love (aka Amoris Laetit...
- tho: In all seriousnes s, we need to root out all who are making a mockery of Holy Mother Church. There are definitely good Bishops, but to get rid of the bad ones, Cardinal McCarrick should be...
- Kenneth Wolfe: HvonBlumen thal wrote: “Would it not help if clergy were required to wear proper cassocks at all times? An SSPX priest of my acquaintan ce tells me it is a remarkably effective aid...
- bobbird: And is this quote correct? When sent mighty sufferings , St. Theresa of Avila asked the Lord, “Why ?” And the answer was, “I only send these crosses to my closest frien...
- Benedict Joseph: Not in the least surprised by this — his exoneratio n or the fact that he remains in the dock, there surely is a brutal irony that a priest cleared of charges endures margi...
- John Grammaticus: Upon reflection there are many things that I could say about Cadinal Cupich that cannot be printed, suffice to say that his public actions can only lead me to conclude that he...
- francophile: I lost a very dear priest friend who was treated horribly by McCarrick. He was a good man… and now lost to the Church and to the world because of this bishop. Out of respect for...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: ‘Na ciumacata! Daje!
- Your John the Baptist Sunday Sermon Notes
- 30 years a priest, 60th birthday – a priest’s first real Solemn Mass! Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Reuters and @PhilipPullella create fake news, pit Francis against Trump
- Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: ADVENT
From a reader:
On consulting my Ordo [for the Extraordinary Form] this coming Saturday is the feast of St. Thomas.
This supersedes the Ember Day which should be commemorated at the Mass of the day.
Should we still observe the Ember Day with respect to … Continue reading
Here is a little poll for your 3rd Sunday of Advent.
Please choose an answer and add a comment in the combox.
A friend sent this. A funny way to make a good point.
I try not to use businesses which post these signs and I hope you don’t either.
On that note, after Mass on Sunday a couple guys from the parish offered … Continue reading
Some veteran readers here know about my annual rant about BLUE vestments during Advent. Lest all other Advent considerations – such as the coming of the Lord – be overshadowed, herein I rant.
I believe this dopey liturgical abuse is fading … Continue reading
Today in our Roman Rite it is the last day of the liturgical year.
We are on one side of the threshold. We cross over soon.
Of Advent, the holy bishop of Milan St. Charles Borromeo (+1584) said:
“Like a devoted mother, keenly … Continue reading
On December 17th we enter into that final stretch of our Advent preparation. In the Church’s solemn prayer of the hours, at Vespers, the great “O Antiphons” are sung. Today we have the first.
Years ago, I made a little webpage … Continue reading
The 3rd Sunday of Advent is nicknamed “Gaudete … Rejoice!”, from the first word of the first chant, the Introit. Today we relax slightly our penitential focus during Advent. Some say Advent is not a penitential time, even though it … Continue reading
Was there a great point… even just a good point… from the sermon you heard for your Sunday Mass?
Let us know what it was.
The Lord’s Coming is a fearful thing to ponder. The First Coming of the Lord, prophesied by Jeremiah in Sunday’s 1st Reading, and His Sacrifice renewed daily on our altars, mean that His Second Coming, described by the Lord in … Continue reading
UPDATE 30 Nov 18:07 GMT:
Since the beginning of November, through this, from what I can tell we have sold on Amazon:
mp3 downloads – 28
CDs – 177
Orant et laborant!
I was sent a photo of the nuns unloading the boxes of … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Here’s a Year of Faith approach… here’s a New Evangelization project.
This, instead of all the blather, is how it is done.
From a reader I have known for many years:
Your recent post brought to mind an … Continue reading
The Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, near Kansas City MO (where Bp. Finn reigns), make beautiful vestments. They also make beautiful music, too.
I have mentioned them before HERE. I did a review of their Christmas CD HERE.
They now have … Continue reading
Here is the first prayer for the Mass of 23 December, the last full day of Advent before the Vigil of Christmas.
Omnipotens sempiterne Deus,
nativitatem Filii tui secundum carnem
quaesumus, ut nobis indignis famulis tuis
misericordiam praestet Verbum,
quod ex Virgine Maria dignatum … Continue reading