Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- jmj_telcontar said Wonderful! Beautiful examples of proper incultarat...
- otsowalo said JARay, That vow is superceded by the solemn vow of...
- otsowalo said After reading some of the comments here, i really...
- Absit invidia said Thanks for pointing out the irresponsible rabbits....
- Bea said Beautiful words, Father Thank you
- iamlucky13 said Hmm…the link I tried to post above got trunc...
- Jim in Seattle said What is the symbolism of the cherry trees, Mary, a...
- Sonshine135 said Daniel Mitsui’s art is most excellent! Thank you f...
- JARay said There is little doubt in my mind that most of thos...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Thank you! (Also thank you to iamlucky13!) By good...
- Venerator Sti Lot said An interesting and hopeful further article about t...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Another Bishop Conley ‘item’ well wort...
- Bosco said @ marcellus, You asked me: “…who is th...
- iamlucky13 said If you like the melding of eastern and western art...
- The Masked Chicken said One could, I suppose, almost compare the current s...
- mlmc said after remodeling our church a few years ago, the c...
- gramma10 said Interesting. Talented artist. Not my style but I a...
- katherine collins said We went from an EF Mass presided over by the FSSP...
- Theodore said Rabbits are part of Traditional Japanese heraldry...
- jhayes said frbkelly, Cardinal Burke’s prefaxe to Weisha...
- Suburbanbanshee said If the Blessed Sacrament isn’t actually rese...
- jhayes said Uxixu wrote: The factual errors were jarring. The...
- iamlucky13 said My instinct is to say yes on genuflecting to the B...
- WmHesch said It’s not a “line from one of the Psalm...
- albizzi said Who said this: “When God wants to chastize t...
- SimonR said Thanks Rob22 for your comment. Regretfully, both S...
- iamlucky13 said I find knowing the Latin (even as limited as mine...
- albizzi said The french jesuit “Revue Etudes” felt...
- yatzer said Current life, in the USA anyway, makes it hard to...
- robtbrown said Vince not only was a daily communicant but also sa...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
"Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! Let those who hate him flee before His Holy Face!"
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- More from the mighty pen of Daniel Mitsui
- WDTPRS Collect 4th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “Billy loves bugs.”
- Finding one’s way deeper into the Faith
- ASK FATHER: Where to bow or genuflect in confusing church
- Jesuits here, Jesuits there
- Videos of Solemn Masses 1960, 1962 at Ushaw Seminary
- Pope Francis will no longer impose the pallium on Archbishops
- Of Cardinals and Canaries
- Life with Capuchins? Take me back to jail!
- ACTION ITEM! Send Fr. Z Christmas cards from around the world – UPDATE
- San Francisco parish takes step in right direction. Sky falls on pastor’s head.
- Washington DC attacks religious freedom of Catholic schools
- Card. Burke’s sermon on marriage
- More on RABBITGATE
- ACTION ITEM! Help Franciscan Friars!
- Another triumph for peace in our day
- How did ‘ad orientem’ worship go in the Diocese of Lincoln?
- Girl altar servers: a woman’s perspective
- ASK FATHER: Punching the Archbishop after he punches you
- ASK FATHER: Bisexual woman called hypocrite by mother for not accepting sister’s transgender lifestyle
- ASK FATHER: Boss threatens to fire me if I don’t receive Communion.
- Archbp. Cordileone to Nancy Pelosi: No Catholic Can Dissent from Church Teaching on Abortion
- Card. Marx pulls a fast one with the text of ‘Evangelii gaudium’.
- Richard McBrien, RIP. Fishwrap’s encomium.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “Je Suis Charles Martel”
- My View For Awhile: Jiggity Jig
- Francis to new bishops…
- ASK FATHER: When is enough, enough?
- A piece of good news
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Tag Archives: All Souls
From the Handbook of Indulgences
Visiting a Church or an Oratory on All Souls Day
A plenary (“full”) indulgence, which is applicable only to the souls in Purgatory is granted to the Christian faithful who devoutly visit a church or an oratory … Continue reading
I was sent this:
regarding your post on All Souls Sunday, here’s from the Ordo Missae Celebrandae et Divini oficii persolvendi secundum Calendarium Romanum generale pro anno liturgico 2014-2015 iuxta editionem III typicam Missalis Romani:
Viol. vel Nig.
IN COMMEMORATIONE OMNIUM FIDELIUM … Continue reading
From a reader…
The Canadian Bishops’ official Ordo clearly calls for the Gloria and the Creed on Sunday November 2. (Along with a note warning that the Sunday celebration shouldn’t be too penitential because it’s the Resurrection.)
But the Missal seems to … Continue reading
From a reader:
I pass a Catholic cemetery to and from work every day (in fact, it is the diocesan cemetery where my spouse and I bought plots). I want to stop and say prayers for the souls in Purgatory, especially … Continue reading
Here is a little poll about what you saw for the Mass you went to for All Souls.
Yes, I know that it is not a Holy Day of Obligation, as All Saints was (in most places… if you didn’t go … Continue reading
2 November, All Souls, is around the corner. This solemn observance, while not a Holy Day of Obligation, has always aroused in the faithful a strong response and turn out.
Many people have been asking me to post their parish’s Mass … Continue reading
All Saints was a Holy Day of Obligation. All Souls is one of those days when people tend to flock to church even though it isn’t of precept.
This is also a time when we can gain plenary indulgences.
Let us know about … Continue reading
“Soul soul for a souling cake
I pray you, missis, for a souling cake
Apple or pear, plum or cherry
Anything to make us merry …”
Here is a cool custom to boost your Catholic Identity Quotient for this super Catholic day, All Souls.
Someone … Continue reading
From a reader:
Your recent answer to a question about prayers and Masses for non-Catholic departed brings to mind a question some friends and I were deliberating over. With regard to the indulgences we can gain for the departed during the … Continue reading