Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- tho: Heart warming, and renews my faith in our future.
- AnthonyJ: On a personal note, I had a friend who was tied up with the occult. It put a strain on our friendship and I stopped associatin g with her. She contacted 3 years after our estrangeme nt...
- AnthonyJ: Wicca is definitely satanic. There is a new version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix. The trailer for it doesn̵ 7;t even try to hide the pervasive satanism in the show.
- jflare29: Some years ago, a friend of mine who grew up at least tacitly Methodist had begun exploring Wicca. I wrote a letter of caution, then received her letter back; she wasn’ ;t very happy...
- Mario Bird: Mainstream ing paganism — I saw in an Alaska Airlines magazine that Oregon is using Studio Ghibli-sty le anime to advertise their tourism. There was a creature in the ad holding...
- Kathleen10: There̵ 7;s enough blame for everybody. Younger parents today are showing us what a weakened Catholicis m can do, not much. I can testify to this in my own family, where there are...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Anneliese says: You can’t blame it all on the clergy. You can blame the parents as well. Bad clergy and bad laity react upon each other, disedify each other, and multi...
- majuscule: A woman I know from my school days whom I have recently reconnecte d with and interact with on Facebook has admitted to being a “white witch” while also being a “Catholic” . White...
- carndt: Discord is so damaging to the soul and a family. I will pray for my brothers. Thank you for opening my heart to know they do have clean handles and there is hope for their souls.
- Dad of Six: Yes, to quote a certain Lone Star State parson: “It& #8217;s seems fun until you wake up one morning with a demon gnawing on your arm.” ;
- Southern Catholic: The education of the child starts at home, so I would put most of the blame on the parents, then the bishops and priests. I am in the same boat as Anneliese.
- HvonBlumenthal: The fact that Chesterton did not say it in so many words does not diminish the truth of the aphorism that a man who ceases to believe in God will believe in anything.
- Anneliese: You can’ t blame it all on the clergy. You can blame the parents as well. I had a terrible religious upbringing partly out of laziness and loss of faith from one parent and confu...
- Cafea Fruor: Actually, along the lines of UncleBlobb ’s comment, I think I would blame the breakdown of family life before I’d blame bishops and clergy. I think people turn to this...
- mrjaype: Father, that’ ;s not a trumpet. That’ ;s cornet.
- Ave Maria: I am very fortunate in that both the parishes I frequent have two daily Masses with confession times at each and also on Saturdays. I recall in my former parish out in a liturgi...
- LeeGilbert: Nathan, you really brought me up short with this, your thanksgivi ng to the priests who have heard your confession s over the years: “You ’ve not only heard and absolved my...
- UncleBlobb: My brief experience with people interested in this kind of activity is that they see themselves “on the margins 221; of mainstream culture of any kind, and they seek to find...
- GypsyMom: Oh, yes, these attachment s are very difficult to break. If they aren’ ;t broken first, they get passed down to succeeding generation s, as well. They pass on a tendency to certain...
- youngcatholicgirl: One beautiful sight is at the ICKSP oratory in St. Louis. They begin confession s at 7:15 on Sunday morning. If you get there at 9:30 to confess before the 10 o’cl ock...
- GHP: If you live in Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley) there are plenty of opportunit ies to go to Confession : Our Lady of Peace Shrine http://www .olop-shri ne.org/abo ut-us/mass prayers...
- Semper Gumby: Interestin g interview, thanks Fr. Z and Lifesite. About theology department s in German universiti es, Card. Muller says: “Professio nalism in theology is not well received.& #8221;...
- VonOrigen: Fr. Z, just a request to list the musical selections in the Adventcazt s. There̵ 7;s some nice sounds that I’d like to have wafting from our speakers at home. For example, the...
- hwriggles4: There̵ 7;s a parish close to me that has several Masses on Sunday, with at least two Masses in Spanish. The Spanish Masses are full. Confession is regularly offered, and a few times...
- JustaSinner: Imagine how it must be when you see a Priest in public and ask him for the Blessing and he nearly runs. Maybe time to ask, “Father, do you have time for a confession ?” I underst...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: altar girls
I confess that I initially sent back a terse note to this one: “You are wrong.” Having Reconsidered, more can be said…
From a reader…
Today I was an Alter [sigh] Server at Mass and upon returning home I just wanted to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our parish priest does not care for girl servers but allows it. Today we went to daily Mass and a new girl was serving (which was arranged by one of the moms, I don’t believe Father knew about it), while … Continue reading
The often amusing Eye of the Tiber has this:
The last male altar server in the United States has officially called it quits, the boy’s family is reporting this morning.
The 3-year altar server veteran, who remained at his post as cross bearer despite pressure from the … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Jan:
I had this note from a reader:
Check out how much the faithful have donated to support Fr. Illo in his decision for altar boys at Star of the Sea- $22K so far in 1 day! www.gofundme.com/kvc80g
God bless you!
_____ Originally published on: Jan … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, Am I correct in saying that Cassock & Surplice is male attire
and that girls should NOT wear it? And if this is the case why do
people let it happen? I am taking over the training of our … Continue reading
From a reader:
On the way home from Mass this evening, my daughter, who is a leader in our parish’s CYM and very active in the Church, mentioned that she was going to an Altar server meeting this week. So, I … Continue reading
From the amusing Eye of the Tiber comes this species-ist hit piece. Why pick on trolls?
Tifton, GA–Catholic troll Phillip Karabin, writing under the handle P90XcelsisDeo, has been patiently scouring the internet looking to passionately defend everything he holds dear, his friends are reporting. … Continue reading
From a reader:
I belong to a parish with a good Shepard. I also have two wonderful daughters, one of which has been an alter server (she is 12 by the way). Our priest tried to walk back the use of … Continue reading
I am on the road, and it is hard for me to work with this, but here is a first go at something which I think is pretty important.
The following article copy-pasted from the PDF of the 8/23/2012 edition of … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If we have to agree with Vatican II do we have to agree with Communion in the hand, altar girls, EMHCs, etc?
From a reader:
I’m wondering what type of assent are we as Catholics supposed to give
to the Vatican II council? Also do we have an obligation to agree with
things like Communion in the hand, and other parts in the liturgy that
are … Continue reading
Remember that recent Washington Post poll about altar girls? The poll shifted after I posted about it.
An reader alerted me to the fact that something rather odd has occurred.
Here is how things stood and how they stand as … Continue reading
From a readerette (as is):
I am a lady of an age group that never was allowed on the alter. I
always love to see the little server girls and so wish it had been
allowed in my day. I am a Eucharistic … Continue reading