Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- originalsolitude: Further to my comment above, there̵ 7;s no need to log in to access Therese Ivers̵ 7; commentary on ESI.
- originalsolitude: Therese Ivers, canon lawyer and consecrate d virgin, has posted the first two parts of her commentary on ESI. I’m not sure whether you may have to sign up to read it....
- iamlucky13: The lighting in the video reminds me of something I’m pretty sure Fr. Z said previously about how church lighting shouldn 217;t necessaril y be about exhibiting the marvel...
- Gaetano: Chesterton addressed this point in Orthodoxy: If you leave a thing alone you leave it to a torrent of change. If you leave a white post alone it will soon be a black post. If you particu...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: VP says: how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today’s clergy (there are of course individual exceptions ) And that is enough. The problem of...
- jameeka: “Tra dition holds us in a tension.” Good! At least It holds us.
- MrsMacD: Mark 13:11, “And when they shall lead you and deliver you up, be not thoughtful beforehand what you shall speak; but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye. For it...
- FN: When I first converted, 15 years ago now, I would start to cry every time I received Communion from the priest. His eyes were so holy it seemed to throw a switch in my heart. I was actua...
- VP: Not trustworth y. I am finding it more and more difficult to explain to my son, who is a possible vocation, how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today̵ 7;s...
- Peter Stuart: Sorry, no. There are good establishm ent priests for sure, but they work in an organizati on that’ ;s been playing games with the Church all my life and gives rewards for it, and...
- Kathleen10: I think most laity who go to the TLM see the Holy Mass just this way. I think many priests and Bishops and Cardinals and the pope would be surprised to know most laity who go to the TLM...
- JesusFreak84: A lot of my prayer books from the Christian East also include many petitions for the grace to weep over one’ s sins and faults. I’ve heard a legend that the frayed end of...
- Kathleen10: No. Not trustworth y. There isn’ t an organizati on of any kind that can give up it’s foundation and remain what it was. How would that even be possible. By definition you...
- teachermom24: The video captured what I felt in many churches in Rome. Not too sentimenta l for me, not at all. In 2012, my children and I assisted at our first TLM (St. Francis de Sales, St....
- KateD: Regarding the priest changing into Jesus̷ 0;.the good one’ s sure do get crucified like Him in today̵ 7;s Church. To me they often look like they have been beaten to a spirit...
- djc: Fr Z, have you thought about making a Vendée lapel pin available for sale on your site?
- iPadre: Fr. Z says: “Tha t’s not something that everyone sees, of course, because Mass is ad orientem. But it is a deeply intimate moment that probably shouldn’t be on display. 8221; And...
- JamesA: So many things to weep about these days, Father. Thank you for giving us a beautiful reason.
- fishonthehill: I think all in all a good clip. A little Italo sentimenta l/sappy. But the pace of everything slowing down is wonderful. And as you say, Fr. Z….. Brick by Brick; this is an...
- KateD: I know isn’ t it awful? My wake up call came as the credits rolled on the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington . The line in the Stones song Sympathy for the Devil about Anasta...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: iPadre says: My favorite scene was when the priest changed into Jesus. That’s us. Alter Christus! Note also that one of those moments of the Mass was the “Sup plices te...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Charlotte Allen says: the young woman in the video Yes, the girlfriend angle also occurred to me. However, I think it is more likely that she, in her lovely, flashy, worldly...
- southernpriest: What a beautiful screen shot of our Lord’ ;s Blood dripping into the chalice! As a late vocation, I spent many early years way from the Mass, but not from going to Mary...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: LeeGilbert says: walking in galleries, or counting the interest of my revenues, Indeed. This is why the true full, active and conscious participat ion desired by the Council...
- LeeGilbert: from de Rancés On the Sanctity and Duties of the Monastic State: St. Jerome, penetrated with sorrow, cries out on the same subject: If I had no faith I would not pray at all; but if I...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: altar girls
I confess that I initially sent back a terse note to this one: “You are wrong.” Having Reconsidered, more can be said…
From a reader…
Today I was an Alter [sigh] Server at Mass and upon returning home I just wanted to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our parish priest does not care for girl servers but allows it. Today we went to daily Mass and a new girl was serving (which was arranged by one of the moms, I don’t believe Father knew about it), while … Continue reading
The often amusing Eye of the Tiber has this:
The last male altar server in the United States has officially called it quits, the boy’s family is reporting this morning.
The 3-year altar server veteran, who remained at his post as cross bearer despite pressure from the … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Jan:
I had this note from a reader:
Check out how much the faithful have donated to support Fr. Illo in his decision for altar boys at Star of the Sea- $22K so far in 1 day! www.gofundme.com/kvc80g
God bless you!
_____ Originally published on: Jan … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, Am I correct in saying that Cassock & Surplice is male attire
and that girls should NOT wear it? And if this is the case why do
people let it happen? I am taking over the training of our … Continue reading
From a reader:
On the way home from Mass this evening, my daughter, who is a leader in our parish’s CYM and very active in the Church, mentioned that she was going to an Altar server meeting this week. So, I … Continue reading
From the amusing Eye of the Tiber comes this species-ist hit piece. Why pick on trolls?
Tifton, GA–Catholic troll Phillip Karabin, writing under the handle P90XcelsisDeo, has been patiently scouring the internet looking to passionately defend everything he holds dear, his friends are reporting. … Continue reading
From a reader:
I belong to a parish with a good Shepard. I also have two wonderful daughters, one of which has been an alter server (she is 12 by the way). Our priest tried to walk back the use of … Continue reading
I am on the road, and it is hard for me to work with this, but here is a first go at something which I think is pretty important.
The following article copy-pasted from the PDF of the 8/23/2012 edition of … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If we have to agree with Vatican II do we have to agree with Communion in the hand, altar girls, EMHCs, etc?
From a reader:
I’m wondering what type of assent are we as Catholics supposed to give
to the Vatican II council? Also do we have an obligation to agree with
things like Communion in the hand, and other parts in the liturgy that
are … Continue reading
Remember that recent Washington Post poll about altar girls? The poll shifted after I posted about it.
An reader alerted me to the fact that something rather odd has occurred.
Here is how things stood and how they stand as … Continue reading
From a readerette (as is):
I am a lady of an age group that never was allowed on the alter. I
always love to see the little server girls and so wish it had been
allowed in my day. I am a Eucharistic … Continue reading