Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, Chief Spokesman the Islamic State, 2014 In James Wesley Rawles, Land of Promise (Counter-Caliphate Chronicles Series Book 1)
- "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003 and HERE
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Interesting new movie…
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- JJZ said I believe that the translation you posted was the...
- SaintsSQPNcom said http://catholicsaints.info/saint-josephine-bakhita...
- andia said Fr Bryan gave a beautiful sermon about how Christ...
- Nan said Elizabeth D, you may not realize that Slavs, gener...
- MarkJ said Your priest was right… The halftime show was...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said Quoting St. Thomas Aquinas, Father commented on St...
- Elizabeth D said Sunday Mass was the last in a series of homilies o...
- julieculshaw said Our priest gave a lot of stats about the SuperBowl...
- Nan said Fortunately the only line was the altar rail. The...
- Nan said For the second week in a row, the Catholic Service...
- JerrytheYTPer said I attended the Byzantine Rite liturgy today and to...
- iPadre said I celebrated in both forms this Sunday. OF –...
- Andrew said The blind man on the road to Jericho represents hu...
- acardnal said Addendum to above: Father also said that todayR...
- torch621 said EF Mass with sermon by one ofour two parish priest...
- Adaquano said OF Mass with sermon by our Transitional Deacon. H...
- Sliwka said Visiting at old parish, Fr spoke about how we resp...
- acardnal said Great sermon! Father started by mentioning mercy...
- Tony Phillips said I’m not so sure about the idea of Benedictin...
- Malcolm Harris said The good news: the video is 8 years old and so are...
- JerrytheYTPer said I have seen pictures of Episcopalian churches usin...
- JerrytheYTPer said Doctors deal with biology, not feelings. Biology s...
- Semper Gumby said Excellent, thanks Fr. Z.
- Suburbanbanshee said Even Jewish people before Christ came to believe t...
- Grumpy Beggar said Thank you for this one Padre. . . copied ,pasted a...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said Went to Cofession night, Deo gratias. Was over due...
- Matt Robare said I read the other day that the Latin word “sa...
- JMJLuke said Ah, the good old annual tradition of Gandalf’...
- Geoffrey said “That being said what of the Mother Abbess?&...
- Prayerful said We Catholics are both a family, children of a comm...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Some current reading…
Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 8 Feb: St. Josephine Bakhita
- 7 Feb: Bl. Pius IX, Pope
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTRPS: Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for battle!
- WDTPRS: 5th Ordinary Sunday – A clear and certain trumpet
- Wherein Fr. Z promotes monkish beer! – UPDATE
- Making it illegal to differentiate between male and female
- Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion may be complete
- LIBS! University level liturgy course for YOU! BIG PUPPETS!
- ASK FATHER: St. Blaise Blessing from a laywoman
- 3 Feb: St. Blaise and the blessing of candles and of throats
- Tabernacle by Tabernacle
- Candle by Candle in NY
- Fr. Rutler on Card. Kasper and the Germans: “Modernists are people who do not believe what they believe.”
- Jill Stanek’s house vandalized by pro-aborts. She’s not about to quit.
- WDTPRS: Presentation – “the substance of our flesh”
- “Ministry is not about…”
- Prefect of Cong. for Bishops says more priests now decline becoming bishop
- Pope Francis to play himself in a movie… uh huh. POLL
- @BishopCoyne to start a digital Catholic High School
- New NBC (anti-Catholic) Show Takes Shot at Priests
- A few things… with a special message for IOWA
- St. Ignatius and Bl. Ludovica – Beauty differently manifested
- Candlemas Poetry – and also Candlemas Eve
- ASK FATHER: Deny Protestants Communion? Exempt them from the collection!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Recent Posts, Thanks to Donors, Mass for Benefactors
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Peters on Allen on Francis’s silence on abortion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Father said say Act of Contrition afterwards. Fr. Z rants… at priests.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Tag Archives: altar girls
From a reader… Our parish priest does not care for girl servers but allows it. Today we went to daily Mass and a new girl was serving (which was arranged by one of the moms, I don’t believe Father knew about it), … Continue reading
The often amusing Eye of the Tiber has this: The last male altar server in the United States has officially called it quits, the boy’s family is reporting this morning. The 3-year altar server veteran, who remained at his post as cross bearer despite pressure … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Jan: I had this note from a reader: Check out how much the faithful have donated to support Fr. Illo in his decision for altar boys at Star of the Sea- $22K so far in 1 day! www.gofundme.com/kvc80g God bless you! … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, Am I correct in saying that Cassock & Surplice is male attire and that girls should NOT wear it? And if this is the case why do people let it happen? I am taking over … Continue reading
From a reader: On the way home from Mass this evening, my daughter, who is a leader in our parish’s CYM and very active in the Church, mentioned that she was going to an Altar server meeting this week. So, … Continue reading
From the amusing Eye of the Tiber comes this species-ist hit piece. Why pick on trolls? Tifton, GA–Catholic troll Phillip Karabin, writing under the handle P90XcelsisDeo, has been patiently scouring the internet looking to passionately defend everything he holds dear, his friends are … Continue reading
From a reader: I belong to a parish with a good Shepard. I also have two wonderful daughters, one of which has been an alter server (she is 12 by the way). Our priest tried to walk back the use … Continue reading
I am on the road, and it is hard for me to work with this, but here is a first go at something which I think is pretty important. The following article copy-pasted from the PDF of the 8/23/2012 edition … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If we have to agree with Vatican II do we have to agree with Communion in the hand, altar girls, EMHCs, etc?
From a reader: I’m wondering what type of assent are we as Catholics supposed to give to the Vatican II council? Also do we have an obligation to agree with things like Communion in the hand, and other parts in … Continue reading