HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Geoffrey: There is nothing inherently wrong with the Liturgy of the Hours.
- iamlucky13: One more quick post: for a different side of Mr. Shea that we perceive from the Facebook post and followup under discussion , he has a very simple, worth reading post on his Patheos...
- veritas vincit: Reading Father Z’s update with Mark Shea’ ;s intemperat e response, as well as reading other comments here, I fear Mark Shea has gone downhill from what I posted esrli...
- David L Alexander: I met Mark Shea back in 2002 when I went to Seattle. He was a great guy, living modestly in a ranch home north of downtown. His family was most hospitable , and he took me all...
- arga: Who the hell is Mark Shea?
- capchoirgirl: Good shrimp and grits is HEAVEN!!!! ! Yummmmm.
- iamlucky13: @ rollingrj “Doe s anyone remember the conversati ons Mr. Shea was having about the definition of torture back when waterboard ing was the hot topic? IMVHO, because he was seemi...
- Gregg the Obscure: a New Orleans style place in town serves shrimp and grits that is delightful
- Gregg the Obscure: rollingrj – not only do i remember that, but it’s what caused me to quit paying attention to him several years ago – a decision i found eminently justified by...
- Antiquorum: Fr. Z’s blog was a great guide and help to me becoming Catholic, and then finding tradition! What a terrible priest he is, what with bringing people home to the Lord! For shame!
- lgreen515: Cheese grits. You will love them.
- TonyO: Poor Mark. He certainly needs prayers. So do I, so while you offer some for him, can you add me too, please? Thanks. ”The American Church is in deep deep trouble…” A great Catholic I know,...
- acardnal: APX: author is Janet E. Smith, Ph.D
- Gab: I had to google ‘gri ts’. It’s basically polenta. Better than what I imagined ‘gri ts’ to be LOL
- Kenneth Wolfe: When did Mark Shea ever have promise?
- JustaSinner: Wow! Just read his facebook page and twitter feed. There are some serious issues at play in him. I know he’s reading these posts̷ 0;So, Mark, seriously, get some profess...
- ZestyLemonZach: It’s really tiring to see these days people on the road to Calvary trying to wrestle each other off, or outright accusing the other of never being on the road to begin with....
- Unwilling: “gri fter, liar, bully̶ 1;? I know Fr Z only from his blog. From that, Mark’ ;s name calling is so far off the mark one might suspect a misidentif ication of person....
- Semper Gumby: “Gri fter” ;? Ok, we can take “the sting̶ 1; out of that remark. https://yo utube.com/ watch?v=_W xfjWnuEno On the mean streets of 1936 Chicago, where the booze...
- L.: I grew up in rural West Virginia a little south of the Mason-Dixo n Line, which is still “nor thern̶ 1; West Virginia, and never had or saw grits until I was an adult. Oglebay is even...
- Anneliese: How are you a grifter? Grifting implies swindling people out of money. I wasn’ ;t aware you were in that sort of business. Meanwhile, I think he reads the comments on your blog...
- truthfinder: It’s Janet Smith’s book of essays on JPII and Humanae vitae.
- Bryan Baldwin: I started having suspicions about Shea several years ago when he refused to acknowledg e the importance of liturgical praxis. If I recall correctly, he went so far as to say he...
- semperficatholic: Cajuns eat grits two ways..suga r and butter or salt and butter. Depends on your taste at the time.
- hwriggles4: Speaking of books, one book I plan on picking up this week is The Crisis of Bad Preaching. It is published by Ave Maria Press, and it is written by my Pastoral Administra tor. Sounds...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
- 07/07/07 – 12th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The beatification of Fulton J. Sheen, patron of faithful priests persecuted by bishops
- Because of so much darkness, there has never been a better time to be a young priest
- Card. Müller on the proposed reform of the Roman Curia
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: Archbp. Müller
There is a fear among some people with whom I converse that Pope Francis might undercut Roman curial congregations and devolve authority to regional conferences of bishops. I am all for subsidiarity. That said, some things just don’t work well … Continue reading
From Prof. Ed Peters, canonist, and his blog In The Light Of The Law – which has not an open combox. Antinomianism in high places is still antinomianism We live in pervasively antinomian times, and basic unawareness of law is all around … Continue reading
I have been thinking – with my cynical cap on – about why calls for Communion for the divorced/remarried have been coming out of Germany. You will recall that a mid-level drone came out with a statement in the Archdiocese … Continue reading
From Andrea Tornielli: The Prefect of the Congregation for the Faith, Gerhard Müller, has written a letter asking for the withdrawal and revision of the proposal to allow remarried Catholics to receive the sacraments ANDREA TORNIELLI VATICAN CITY When the … Continue reading
In tomorrow’s edition of L’Osservatore Romano there is a long essay (4000+ words) by the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Archbp. Müller, on the hotly-debate issue of Communion for the divorced and remarried. (I haven’t checked it … Continue reading
You, like I, have been hearing a lot these days about a Church of “the poor” and a rehabilitation of Liberation Theology. This has caused concern for some who are doctrinally coherent and orthodox and elation for liberals. The following … Continue reading
I just finished reading a new book by Paul Vallely called Pope Francis: Untying the Knots. I am glad I read it on my Kindle so that I don’t have to have it on my shelf. There are some helpful … Continue reading
A couple things popped up on the screen today. First, Pope Francis has finally named a Secretary of State: Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Apostolic Nuncio to Venezuela. He starts on 15 October 2013. Also, the Holy Father assigned Spanish-born Fr. Fernando … Continue reading
In The Bitter Pill (aka The Tablet) I spotted something sure to irritate feminists: No need for deaconesses: Müller 4 July 2013 The Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has questioned the notion that a … Continue reading
Will this be the moment the National Schismatic Reporter crowd turns on Francis? This is new. It does NOT refer to their meeting of some months ago. From news.va: COMMUNIQUE OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH CONCERNING … Continue reading
From Vatican Insider comes this. The Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Mgr. Gerhard Ludwig Müller, has launched a biting attack of [on?] the mood toward the Catholic Church in the U.S. and Europe, comparing it … Continue reading
Vatican Insider has something today about some Lutherans who are getting nervous about the Holy Father establishing an Ordinariate for Lutherans, along the lines of that which he established for Anglicans. “A Lutheran ordinariate? That’s a bad sign” An ordinariate … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald with my emphases: Head of the CDF urges Catholics to welcome ordinariate converts Catholics in England and Wales should welcome members of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, the new … Continue reading
My old pastor, the late Msgr. Schuler used to say that “You can go into the ditch on either side of the road, left or right. Either way, you are still in a ditch.” This has been my concern about … Continue reading