Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kathleen10: Today churchmen are taking the white post, painting it neon rainbow colors, and calling us Pharisees when we refuse to call the post white. Profession al gaslighter s, all of them. We...
- Bunky: What about foreign priests living and working in the USA? I think that for them, having the opportunit y to visit friends and family in the old country is important to their mental health....
- LarryW2LJ: I am coming to believe that the “tur n aroundR 21; for this sorry state of affairs that we are currently in will depend solely on the widespread revival of TLM, and a turn back...
- APX: I thought at first the women was another vocation, but then I noticed she’s wearing a rather flashy engagement and wedding ring set. That might have just been an oversight by those who made...
- ServusChristi: You know Father, I listen to very many Protestant s, and I heard one day the claim that ‘you put the days of Pope Pius IX and the syllabus of errors next to Pope Francis I and...
- originalsolitude: Further to my comment above, there̵ 7;s no need to log in to access Therese Ivers̵ 7; commentary on ESI.
- originalsolitude: Therese Ivers, canon lawyer and consecrate d virgin, has posted the first two parts of her commentary on ESI. I’m not sure whether you may have to sign up to read it....
- iamlucky13: The lighting in the video reminds me of something I’m pretty sure Fr. Z said previously about how church lighting shouldn 217;t necessaril y be about exhibiting the marvel...
- Gaetano: Chesterton addressed this point in Orthodoxy: If you leave a thing alone you leave it to a torrent of change. If you leave a white post alone it will soon be a black post. If you particu...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: VP says: how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today’s clergy (there are of course individual exceptions ) And that is enough. The problem of...
- jameeka: “Tra dition holds us in a tension.” Good! At least It holds us.
- MrsMacD: Mark 13:11, “And when they shall lead you and deliver you up, be not thoughtful beforehand what you shall speak; but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye. For it...
- FN: When I first converted, 15 years ago now, I would start to cry every time I received Communion from the priest. His eyes were so holy it seemed to throw a switch in my heart. I was actua...
- VP: Not trustworth y. I am finding it more and more difficult to explain to my son, who is a possible vocation, how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today̵ 7;s...
- Peter Stuart: Sorry, no. There are good establishm ent priests for sure, but they work in an organizati on that’ ;s been playing games with the Church all my life and gives rewards for it, and...
- Kathleen10: I think most laity who go to the TLM see the Holy Mass just this way. I think many priests and Bishops and Cardinals and the pope would be surprised to know most laity who go to the TLM...
- JesusFreak84: A lot of my prayer books from the Christian East also include many petitions for the grace to weep over one’ s sins and faults. I’ve heard a legend that the frayed end of...
- Kathleen10: No. Not trustworth y. There isn’ t an organizati on of any kind that can give up it’s foundation and remain what it was. How would that even be possible. By definition you...
- teachermom24: The video captured what I felt in many churches in Rome. Not too sentimenta l for me, not at all. In 2012, my children and I assisted at our first TLM (St. Francis de Sales, St....
- KateD: Regarding the priest changing into Jesus̷ 0;.the good one’ s sure do get crucified like Him in today̵ 7;s Church. To me they often look like they have been beaten to a spirit...
- djc: Fr Z, have you thought about making a Vendée lapel pin available for sale on your site?
- iPadre: Fr. Z says: “Tha t’s not something that everyone sees, of course, because Mass is ad orientem. But it is a deeply intimate moment that probably shouldn’t be on display. 8221; And...
- JamesA: So many things to weep about these days, Father. Thank you for giving us a beautiful reason.
- fishonthehill: I think all in all a good clip. A little Italo sentimenta l/sappy. But the pace of everything slowing down is wonderful. And as you say, Fr. Z….. Brick by Brick; this is an...
- KateD: I know isn’ t it awful? My wake up call came as the credits rolled on the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington . The line in the Stones song Sympathy for the Devil about Anasta...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Archd. Detroit
There is an amusing piece at Fishwrap by the strongly biased liberal Peter Feuerherd about a parish in Detroit which has been given over to the formation of new Oratory. Oratories are popping up all over, probably as an unconscious … Continue reading
Some years ago, in a burst of still slightly youthful zeal, I revamped my personal, clerical, family coat of arms with elements that were “meaningful”. A clerical student, deep student, of things heraldic – though rather antisocial – took me to … Continue reading
From the Detroit News:
A balanced budget in Detroit might be something only prayed for, but few could imagine Motor City managers raiding church offering plates for revenue.
Yet new drainage fees from the city’s Water and Sewerage Department may do just … Continue reading
From a priest friend who passed this along to me:
Would you please ask Fr. Z if he might be willing to feature our new experimental, extraordinary form community on his web blog? We have Archbishop Vigneron’s endorsement for now, but … Continue reading
Detroit has many problems. Here is another.
Threats Force Satan Statue Unveiling to Secret Detroit Venue
An 8½-foot-tall bronze monument featuring a goat-headed Satan will be unveiled at a secret, ticketed event in Detroit after the owner of a popular restaurant … Continue reading
My good friend Fr. Eduard Perrone of mighty Assumption Grotto, that liturgical oasis in troubled Detroit, is a fine musician. He is putting his extensive training and experience to work with social media.
Here is the first installment of a video … Continue reading
When I hear about the “New Evangelization”, I often wonder when the “Old Evangelization” concluded.
For your Just Too Cool File.
Archbp. Vigneron of Detroit did some sidewalk evangelization!
The group that organizes this is St. Paul Street Evangelization.
“This ministry proudly announces the … Continue reading
For your kind attention:
Friday 30 August, 7 PM at Detroit’s Blessed Sacrament Cathedral, the Most Reverend Donald Hanchon, auxiliary bishop of Detroit, will be celebrant for Mass in the Extraordinary Form. The Mass is organized by Juventutem Michigan, an apostolate … Continue reading
Some days ago Archbp. Alan Vigneron of Detroit stirred the anthill (which is what bishops are supposed to do when it comes to faith and morals). He reaffirmed that Catholics who actively, publicly promote unnatural, same-sex “marriage” are acting in … Continue reading
CNN insinuates that Archbp. Vigneron “dialed back” his words about promoters of same-sex marriage and Holy Communion
There is a deeply flawed, perhaps even mendacious, piece on CNN about Archbishop Vigneron’s comments about Catholics who promote same-sex marriage and reception of Holy Communion. I posted about that HERE.
The CNN article suggests, implies, hints, that the Archdiocese of … Continue reading
A regular commentator here, the distinguish canonist Ed Peters, was quoted in an interesting article in the Detroit Free Press.
Archbp. Vigneron made a clear statement about receiving Holy Communion if you advocate same-sex marriage.
This is in the Freep:
Detroit-area Catholic leaders … Continue reading
Getting ready in the sacristy.
Another brick for building the New Evangelization.