Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I has been while since I have had to close down a combox exchange. Too bad I must do so now.
- LeeGilbert: “I know that it took courage for them to do what little they did, but we need a St. Peter Damien in the USCCB.R 21; Yet, what would St. Peter Damien have done? One can dream ....
- Marc in Eugene: Amen!
- bobbird: I am waiting for a bishop who will grab a whip made of cords and start to work, overturnin g tables and scolding the “Bro od of vipers, whitened sepulchers , all clean without but...
- Kate: While Thomas Aquinas College does have a reputation for producing vocations, I still do not think it can be a considered a “hig h rate” ;. Maybe high compared to most other Catho...
- Dan: I am sure there are many Bishops that “get it” sadly as a whole they don’ t seem much willing to do anything about it. From a lay perspectiv e this meeting of Bishops was...
- semperficatholic: AMEN!!!!!! !!!!!!!
- TonyO: All I can say is, thank you, Corky, for pointing out Lepanto Institute for me. I didn’ ;t know about them, but now I know they are the enemies of Satan and his cohort of limp-wrist ed...
- PostCatholic: A definition that was popularize d by Sam Harris and Christophe r Hitchens. Here in its original form, emphasis added: A few weeks ago, Ayaan and I had a long conversati on about her...
- Gripen: For a second I was incredibly excited (and proud) that both +Lopes and +Stricklan d were in the video. Then I realized that +Lopes and +Cozzens look eerily similar.
- The Egyptian: Brunnerdal e was a seminary high school by the time they were seniors the boys were pictured in cassocks for class photos they went from there to St Charles seminary for further...
- Anneliese: 1. If you don’ t want to be celibate, why become a priest? You can’ t assume the requiremen t of celibacy is going to change just because you want it to. 2. If you’ re...
- Semper Gumby: WVC: You are proving my point.
- Legisperitus: Gag.
- Legisperitus: Unwilling et al.: I think your analysis is probably correct, and it makes Beans̵ 7; cheap shot such inside-ins ide baseball that it’s no wonder only 21 people liked it.
- Legisperitus: So few bishops seem to “get it” the way Strickland gets it. His manner of thinking and speaking is so earnest and unaffected , not “cle ricalist 8221; in the...
- hwriggles4: I have met some Catholic men who are alumni of some high school seminaries from the 1960s. A few told me around that time (particula rly if you were a student from 1965 to 1970) these...
- Unwilling: The Catholic Herald article on Catholic “tri bes” is meant as a mirror for each to see in it reflection s of ourselves in humorous dress. Jane Austen: “for what do we...
- Suburbanbanshee: And actually, the comparison of “bud ding” ; to “rad iance emerging from a place̶ 1; comes from Syriac stuff, which basically means from Aramaic. So it is...
- Suburbanbanshee: Given that one of the messianic OT titles of Jesus is “the Orient, 221; I think this tweet constitute s objective blasphemy. (Check out Zech. 3:8 and 9:12.) For various...
- Fr_Sotelo: My own bishop was been vilified in the traditiona l blogospher e as being a man who is weak on doctrine and vindictive with orthodox priests. However, while he has been in the dioce...
- amenamen: In Greek mythology Halcyon (Alcyone) threw herself into the sea, in grief over her husband, Ceyx, who had been killed by Zeus (for good reason). In an act of pity, the gods transforme d...
- Imrahil: It seems I don’ t even understand the sense of the quote, including why it is offensive. What is Orientalis m? What is Catholic Ad Orientalis m? And of course, if you take the words...
- TonyO: Here’ ;s my experience : I lived in fairly conservati ve parish in the very conservati ve diocese, Arlington, VA. About a year ago Fr. Pastor re-introdu ced mass ad orientem for all...
- Gab: God bless the Most Rev, Strickland . What simple yet almighty powerful words of truth. Now HE’S a great priest and a great man.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”
- 21 Nov: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. With a prayer of my own.
- VIDEO: A few good men and The Present Crisis
- Beans v. the East – @MassimoFaggioli cheapshots Orientals
- The effect of the Extraordinary Form on vocations to the priesthood
- Dinosaur Media attack on Catholics who uphold Faith and Morals
- Truly pathetic musings at the Fishwrap about priesthood and those halcyon days of Vatican II
- 19 Nov 1863: The Gettysburg Address
- Christmas, Priests, Arms, and You
- Reliable Catholic and Pro-Life Causes
- “”Transphobia is a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons”.
- ASK FATHER: My priest doesn’t carry the “emergency phone”
- Sweetheart Grips and Fortune’s Wheel
- ASK FATHER: Absolution from a heretical priest and then going to Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- To Prelates: “Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining.”
- Pre-Post Thanksgiving, Pre-Post Christmas Shopping
- ASK FATHER: Could the Church make “communal services” the norm for the Sacrament of Penance?
- UPDATED BRICK BY BRICK in Florida! New Sunday TLM established.
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers – UPDATED
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Archd. Philadelphia
Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia has issued a great letter on the threshold of Lent.
As I read it, the Archbishop’s reference to the history of the Church in German with the Nazi state and the 1933 , could be not … Continue reading
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours.
First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, the … Continue reading
I have had notes from reader about good things going on.
First, I call your attention to a good initiative in the Diocese of Burlington (Vermont). A new group has been established called the St. Philip Neri Latin Mass Chaplaincy. I … Continue reading
Francis in Philadelphia speaking off the cuff about the family with a more or less simultaneous translator.
Start at 1:58:29 to about 2:20:30
While the Holy Father’s possible visit to Philadelphia for a congress on the family has been hedged about with cautious language, today we have greater clarity about what Francis wants. From NBC:
Pope Francis Tells NBC News He’ll Pay Philadelphia a … Continue reading
I saw a piece at the Daily Mail with beautifully horrible photos of wrecked and run-down church in Philadelphia. HERE
Here is one of them.
No, this isn’t a war zone (technically, at least).
First, Our Lord promised that, in the end, … Continue reading
Remember the news about Mass Flash Mobs in Buffalo, NY? HERE and HERE
In many cities there are beautiful but languishing parish churches. Some people are stirring things up to help put them back on the map, inject some life into … Continue reading
NB: The Deacon in question posted a comment, below. Be sure to check it out.
The Fishwrap is having a little nutty these days about the ordination of women.
First, there is an editorial openly declaring that women should be ordained as … Continue reading
Our Lord promised us that Hell would not prevail against the Church.
He did not promise that Hell would not prevail in the USA, or in your town or parish.
Today we are seeing a shrinking of Holy Church in many places. The … Continue reading
From The Catholic League with my emphases. Fellow Catholic bloggers might pick this up too. False accusations are deeply evil and they ruin lives.
BIGOTRY EXPLAINS FALSE ACCUSATIONS
July 18, 2012
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments as follows:
False accusations against priests are … Continue reading
I just an interesting item on the site The Media Report. Apparently the head of SNAP, Mr. David Clohessy, was suggesting that Card. Bevilacqua was faking an illness to avoid testifying.
Less than 36 hours before Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua passed away … Continue reading
From Archbishop Chaput’s sermon during his installation:
This Church in Philadelphia faces very serious challenges these days. There’s no quick fix to problems that are so difficult, and none of us here today, except the Lord Himself, is … Continue reading
During his sermon for his installation in the Cathedral Basilica in Philadelphia, Archbishop Chaput used several good analogies, including that of an arranged marriage (versus romantic love which often today winds up in divorce).
However, he used a striking quote from … Continue reading
Thomas Peters posted a couple of youtube videos of a sit down interview with the new Archbishop of Philadelphia Most Rev. Charles Chaput.
In some ways this interview was a bit more revealing than that which Archbp. Chaput did with John … Continue reading
From Italian journalist Marco Tosati on the Vatican Insider of the Italian daily La Stampa comes this.
Raymond Leo Burke, the “great puppeteer” of American appointees
The appointment of Chaput to the Diocese of Philadelphia confirms Burke’s role as the Pope’s trusted … Continue reading