Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- MrsMacD: I said the prayer you posted and copied Joy65
- MrsMacD: We’r e only too happy to expound to Father, “Wha t it’s like.̶ 1; Heck if anybody wrote a book based on anything and had as many real life stories of, ‘wha t...
- Kathleen10: Will pray for Fr. P! Please God, hear our prayer.
- hwriggles4: During my discernmen t process, I picked up an applicatio n for one Archdioces e. The applicatio n was lengthy (about 20 pages) and one question was “how do you relate to women?...
- Imrahil: The thing is… quite apart from the actual experience I do not doubt a pastor is bound to get when, well, “pas torizing 8221; families, they may know moral theology, dogma...
- Joy65: Absolutely praying for Father P. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be
- Gerard Plourde: Is it possible that the experience that Cardinal Farrell is referring to is the area of financial instabilit y which is the primary cause of discord and failure in marriages? I say...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear jhayes, Yes, I know about the confusion between Mary Magdeline as prostitute vs. Mary Magdeline as having seven demons. My original draft made that distinctio n in a...
- Robert_Caritas: An FSSP priests hears confession s at Chartres, and I think is the pastor of a nearby parish. I’ve run into him every time I’ve been there, so there’s a good chance it’s him. The...
- Sue in soCal: Marriage is a sacrament and a vocation and should be treated as such: Seriously. Preparatio n for this calling is woefully inadequate throughout the Church.
- JSzczuka: TLM: Father gave an excellent homily today, drawing from the collect, epistle, and of course the Gospel. He first talked about how beautiful the Latin was in the collect, not perfec...
- MrsMacD: Our sermon today was on how to distinguis h between a temptation and an interior sin, that if we do not take pleasure in the temptation that for certain we did not sin and that if we are...
- Joy65: bobbird says: 15 July 2018 at 11:54 AM “Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and...
- Simon_GNR: Strange that apple bobbing should be associated with this feast day – apples won’ t be ripe and ready for picking for a couple of months yet. It’s been hot and sunny...
- tho: After hearing confession s for a number of years, and listening to the problems of their parishione rs for the same amount of time, no one is better qualified to dispense advice than a good...
- jhayes: Chicken wrote Mary Magdeline was neither married nor a virgin To uphold her good name:: The only thing we know from Scripture about Mary Magdalene& #8217;s personal life is that, at one...
- ex seaxe: Nothing startling. OF so OT15B, Amos 7:12-15, Ps 84/83, Ephesians 1:3-14, Mark 6:7-13. Emphsised, as he often does, that we are all called to evangelise , and that this is mainly by...
- GrumpyYoungMan: Visiting a parish in Archdioces e of Denver. God’ s graces aren’ ;t magic – they need cooperatio n from us. For healing to take place, it requires from us a change...
- richiedel: Amerikaner , I, too, considered for a moment, whether this may be about setting the stage for married priests. But upon further considerat ion, I didn’ ;t think it would be worth...
- frjim4321: The prelate does not seem to understand how counseling works, including pastoral counseling . It’s hard to imagine how such an ignorant person can ascend to such a high office, but...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Tony, You wrote: “So, why is it, then, more special that a woman remain a virgin and consecrate her virginal state to God, than that a man do so? Why is it that the US...
- Julia_Augusta: Married priests, that’s where the Cardinal is going, which, we the faithful, will oppose. How are we going to oppose him and people like him? Every time they make a scandal...
- bobbird: Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and NFP. Who understand s this better...
- MrsMacD: Amongst my family there are six of us who are married, one to be married soon. We all agree that the best marriage prep any of us received was directly from a good priest that took the...
- Antonin: Men and women do think differentl y and there are different expectatio ns in a marriage between the two partners. The Cardinal’s statement certainly has a grain of truth for sure. Priests...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 07/07/07 – Summorum Pontificum 11 years on – WORK HARDER!
- ASK FATHER: It’s getting hard to find suitable godparents
- Progress of the Vatican Cricket Team
- WDTPRS – 14th Ordinary Sunday: from dust to freedom
- 6 July 1535: St. Thomas More’s ‘dies natalis’
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Archd. San Francisco
Do you remember when Fr. Illo at a parish in San Francisco decided to stop the service at the altar by females (YAY!) and the world came down on his head.
In the Catholic Herald, the UK’s best Catholic weekly, there is … Continue reading
The newly ordained are celebrating their First Masses.
I had a note about the First Mass of a new young priest in San Francisco.
Congratulations to Fr. Alvin Yu. Here he is at Sts. Peter and Paul Church, where he grew up. … Continue reading
I direct the readership’s attention to a blog post by a newcomer…
She reacted to the attacks on the Star of the Sea parish and Frs. Ill and Driscoll by the liberal priests in San Francisco.
She’s not happy.
Go see! Spike her … Continue reading
A while back I mentioned that there was going to be a “Mass Mob” at Star of the Sea parish in San Francisco to support the beleaguered priests.
It seems to have been a success. I received a few photos. Here … Continue reading
I call on all the readers here to pray and offer fasting and alms for the spiritual defense of Archbishop Cordileone of San Francisco.
Will San Francisco be the Alamo of the Church in these USA?
Today, in the ultra-liberal San Francisco … Continue reading
This is another indication of what is coming our way in the near future.
Folks… start getting your heads into that mental place where you can deal with open persecution.
SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) – San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors … Continue reading
Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco is taking flack from the usual suspects for his support of an initiative at Star of the Sea to build a corps of altar boys (not girls – HERE) and for having an entirely reasonable … Continue reading
SF Archbishop on Pelosi: No Catholic Can Dissent from Church Teaching on Abortion
(CNSNews.com) – Responding to statements made by House Minority Leader Nancy [the Theologian] Pelosi [more HERE] — who would not say at her press briefing last … Continue reading
On the Feast of the Assumption (a holy day of obligation) there will be a Pontifical Mass at the Throne celebrated by His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino (aka the Extraordinary Ordinary), at Noon at the Bishop O’Connor Center.
Also, … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick file, I was sent a link to an entry at Catholic San Francisco about a new liturgical institute established by Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone.
Archbishop explains goal of new liturgical institute
On the eve of the feast of … Continue reading
In the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, the Archbishop of San Francisco, Most Rev. Salvatore Cordileone, offered some interesting comments.
Read the whole thing there, but here is something of interest concerning the older form of Holy Mass. My … Continue reading
Unitatis redintegratio applied: Episcopal “Bishop” not seated for installation of Archbp. Cordileone
Rex novus in Aegypto.
The other day Archbishop Cordileone was “installed” (a fitting word given the shape of the Cathedral in San Francisco). You may recall that just days before the installation the Episcopalian (Episcopal) “Bishop” of California, Marc Andrus, wrote … Continue reading
I bring to your attention something from The Catholic League about the recent DUI incurred by Archbishop Cordilone, newly appointed to San Francisco. Liberals are dancing around their bonfires as if Cordilone’s head is already on a stick.
I’ve been watching the … Continue reading