Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- iamlucky13: “I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.R 21; Actually, I believe the article was actually based on a deleted scene from Monty PythonR 17;s The Life of Brian, origina...
- originalsolitude: The ESI 88 problem seems to be getting out of hand and causing a minor scandal, even in the local secular media. The root of the problem seems to be that the document is put...
- MrsMacD: My son reminded me of the passage in scripture where the Jews are waiting to be freed from Egypt and one of the scourges is the water is turned to blood.
- Andrew: VIPR (voluto in pavimento ridens – vulgo ROFL)
- Eric: Seems like a prudent move to me. The Society gathering the former Superiors as deposits of wisdom and experience .
- Dimitri_Cavalli: A long time ago, I contribute d some of the short, anonymous “Whi le We’r e at It” articles that appeared in First Things. This is one of my personal favorit...
- Kathleen10: Their bootheels are on our throats. There is nothing earthly to stop them. We better look up.
- JeromeThomas: Just to expand on this a little, Campus Reform is unfortunat ely incorrect in saying that social justice issues are not likely to be discussed at the ICMS. The talks that *were*...
- Kathleen10: A camel is a horse designed by committee. Didn’ ;t you say that, Fr. Z.?
- chantgirl: dbf223- I would usually agree with Janet Smith, but in the case of the nuns, I think she is wrong. The pill does not work merely by preventing ovulation, as breakthrou gh ovulation is...
- Greg Hlatky: This will end only when the last Grievance Studies professor is strangled with the guts of the last Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Clinton R.: Great post, Father. We indeed must live each day preparing ourselves for the Bridegroom . Confessing our sins is a great way to cleanse our soul and make it a suitable dwelling place...
- bobbird: Dr. Evan Lenow is a prof at Southwest Baptist Theologica l Seminary in Ft. worth. He was recently a guest on my radio show The Bird’ ;s Eye View. He defends and teaches HV as a course...
- Kerry: Hmm… what about that plague which killed 1/3 of the population , the “Peo ple of Color̶ 1; Death?
- JesusFreak84: Am I the only one who thinks this could pass for an Onion or EOTT article?
- chantgirl: LOL Well, it is cultural appropriat ion for these 21st century profs of non-Europe an descent to even study the medieval era ;) Must this dumbassery infect every area of academia? Is...
- Julia_Augusta: I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.
- richiedel: A real medievalis t like Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. would be able to dissect this well.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: As a medievalis t who has taught religious history in state universiti es (Berkeley, Oregon, Virginia) for some 25 years and now teaches that material in a seminary, I...
- Nan: Last night at my little Byzantine Church, we had the vigil liturgy for St Elijah, followed by the blessing of the cars, because Elijah was taken to heaven in a fiery chariot. In Father&...
- Nan: No, they focus on Hildegard being an Abbess and her preaching, St Catherine of Siena telling the Pope what to do, Teresa of Avila for doing what she wanted in reforming the Carmelites but...
- SanSan: This is wonderful blessed news for the faithful in Detroit! Thank you Jesus!
- LeeGilbert: Charles E Flynn, FWIW, The book you link is hardly a case of the Cistercian s “sch olaring on,” for it is the work of David N. Bell, Anglican priest and seminary rector, an...
- Ave Maria: Oh Father, you crack me up! Lets see… I think I shall hopefully identify as a faithful Roman Catholic and I hope that others can tell that! And since this is a day to remember the...
- Fr. Kelly: I too am intrigued by her entry. She comes into the church in much the same way as they young man who becomes a priest does. She is wearing rings on both hands and dressed in a fancy red...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: baptism
From a reader…
In my diocese and in others there has been a general conclusion that it is fine to baptized the child of a homosexual couple, so long as it is done in private, you let the parents know you … Continue reading
From a reader…
My five year old nephew, who wasn’t formally baptized as an infant (ie: with his parents’ permission, in a church, by a priest, etc). My mom baptized him in the bathtub (and didn’t tell anyone except me) and … Continue reading
Ireland. The gift that keeps on giving.
I read at the NCRegister that former Irish President Mary McAleese thinks that infant baptism is a violation of human rights.
Baptizing babies, she said, makes “infant conscripts who are held to lifelong obligations of … Continue reading
From a reader…
May a lay natural father baptize his own child? As an expectant father, I have heard conflicting views on this practice. Obviously, the priest is the proper and ordinary authority for this, I was simply curious. (P.S. I … Continue reading
From a priestly reader…
I am a parish priest who often does an Ad Orientem Novus Ordo Mass. I was approached by a family asking for a baptism using the Extraordinary Form. I am happy to do so, given the evident power of the … Continue reading
From a priest:
I have a multiple child Baptism coming up. My question is if one priest can supply all the various ceremonies and multiple priests celebrate the Baptism proper for the various children in the older Rituale?
Hmmm… no, not really. … Continue reading
From a priest…
Are partial immersion baptisms valid?
Where the baby is dipped up to the waist 3x, with valid words of baptism spoken.
Here’s the deal.
The “proximate matter” of baptism is ablution. This means physical contact of the water and the person’s body. The … Continue reading
From a reader…
This subject comes up constantly in Catholic mom groups online. I would love your take on it.
Canon 867 §1. Parents are obliged to take care that infants are baptized in the first few weeks; as soon as possible … Continue reading
From a reader…
A cousin of mine was baptised in the Catholic Church as an infant to fulfill the wishes of persistent grandparents. But was in no way raised in the Church and never recieved any other sacraments – is she … Continue reading
From a reader…
Recently, a baby in Texas was temporarily removed from her mother’s womb for life saving spine surgery. After the 20 minute surgery, the baby was returned to the womb, and was born healthy several months later. (Truly a … Continue reading
From a permanent deacon…
Can a Permanent Deacon perform a Baptism according to the Old Rite? I would be using the booklet entitled “Baptism” published by Angelus Press.
My old pastor, the late Msgr. Richard Schuler, used to tell a story about … Continue reading
Many of you out there are godparents or sponsors for confirmands (from Latin confirmandus… “someone about to be confirmed”. Some of are are about to take on this responsibility.
Yes, this is a “responsibility”.
Sometimes you may be asked by the less … Continue reading
From a reader…
I recently learned that one of my family members took the initiative to illicitly baptize two “infants” (one under the age of one and the other almost 4 years old) herself because my brother refused to have his … Continue reading
Because Easter is a special time for baptizing, I hereunder assemble some observations from past ASK FATHER Question Box responses about baptism and validity.
Bishops would do well to quiz priests, and seminarians before ordination as deacons, about how to baptize. Some … Continue reading
From a reader…
My daughter and son-in-law (a Lutheran, and a good man finding his way home) are taking classes in preparation for the baptism our granddaughter who will be born in April. She has been told that all baptisms are done … Continue reading