Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- WmHesch: Instead of a communal service WITHOUT individual confession , what if, as the church becomes smaller and poorer, we return to the early church practice of confessing our sins in public? At...
- Ace: Fr. Z, the other day you wrote, “You lay readers have strong influence. Get organized. Find friendly priests. Form base communitie s and get to it.” What does this mean? How do we have an...
- Spade: I’m just going to point out again that Duolingo is a great resource and it would be pretty cool if some folks who knew Latin could put together a course. Like, four people did Irish....
- Gab: @Benedict Joseph I agree. Two whistle blowers (2 we know of!) have already gone into hiding, others including religious orders have been removed from their positions. And the sodocleric alism...
- Lurker 59: To those bishops who read this posting: Man up. You are a bishop and a sovereign of your own diocese. You do not need a committee to tell you what to do and the Pope is your brother, not...
- Benedict Joseph: Quite honestly I’m beginning to believe we have seen nothing yet. After last weeks catastroph e it is now more than reasonable to believe anything can happen, and there is no...
- LeeGilbert: Related: There is now a daily Dominican Rite low Mass in Latin mornings at 6AM Monday through Saturday at Holy Rosary parish in Portland, OR. This has been undertaken by the priests of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Sometimes I read comments here and wonder and ponder and weigh. Good GRIEF, people! Get a grip! WORK HARDER! EXCEL in charity in your parishes. Convince, move, cajole, persua...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: For the priest who wants to learn Latin basically for just Mass and Office, I think the best choice is Scanlon and Scanlon 217;s _Latin Grammar_ (https://w ww.amaz...
- Nicholas: I know a 94 year old Jesuit who is faithful. He sometimes says the TLM. He is in good health for his age.
- Fuerza: I’m glad that this question was submitted. I’ve actually spent a lot of time wondering the same thing, since my scrupulosi ty often turns what should be a very simple confess...
- PostCatholic: It’s hideous! I like it!
- LatinMan: Let me just say that while I deplore the doctrinal confusion and weak and inept leadership that Francis’s Pontificat e has brought upon the Church, let me just say that His Holines...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Rosica forgot to publish that list using the PeopleR 17;s Font: Gebrochene Grotesk. Oh well, the Struggle Session will clear up that oversight. https://de .m.wikiped ia.org/...
- RCAVictor: Brilliant and comforting , Father – thank you.
- Semper Gumby: I’m inclined to go with iPadre on this, with an end of an era but not end of the world. But Go to Confession indeed. Well, it’s Saturday morning across the fruited plains...
- WmHesch: I always hoped Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine in Orlando would get the TLM. It’s not really conducive to TLM architectu rally, but would be key to have it there in tourist central
- anj: It is very simple: Pope Francis does not need to suppress anything. He just amends SP to require permission of the local bishop to say the TLM. He has already done many more radical things. I...
- St. Christopher: Father Z, I am not certain that you are correct on this one. What about the Latin Mass, and the very existence of Catholicis m at all in Henry VIII and Elizabeth I’s Engla...
- Imrahil: Brief note concerning the translatio n of Hochschule : As this is not a context where the focus is on linguistic precision, let’ s just say “uni versity 221; and be done...
- Imrahil: Just a brief throw-in: Let’ s not mix up the word “dog matic̶ 1; referring to a rank of certaintly (viz., absolute certainty) with the word “dog matic̶ 1; refer...
- Kerry: Marse Robert, you wrote: “VII also does contain dogmatic portions, and dogmatic statements in a pastoral document are still dogmatic statements of the magisteriu m. For example, a Pope...
- Suburbanbanshee: Other than the Classical pronunciat ion thing, I think the Great Courses 217; Latin 101 is very good. Professor Muller is a hoot, and the lecture videos are good. The drawb...
- Imrahil: Well, the first or somewhat-f irst lines of our schoolbook s were: “Pub lius est pater, Cornelia est mater. Delia serva est.” ; And that was as famous for us as the sente...
- Pius Admirabilis: @Clinton R. For some reason, in my circle of friends, one or two young men did join the Jesuits! Which is kind of weird since they can be counted as “Tra ds”, just as...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- To Prelates: “Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining.”
- Pre-Post Thanksgiving, Pre-Post Christmas Shopping
- ASK FATHER: Could the Church make “communal services” the norm for the Sacrament of Penance?
- UPDATED BRICK BY BRICK in Florida! New Sunday TLM established.
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers – UPDATED
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
- US Bishop begin 2018 November meeting: PRAY & FAST!
- Another really bad idea: Communion Pills
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATED
- Another group of women destroyed by the Vatican Congregation for Religious
- 100th Armistice Day, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day ACTION ITEM!
- @JamesMartinSJ shovels scandalous rubbish to justify sin
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Our Identity and Extreme Ownership
- GERMANY: Catastrophic! USA next? @USCCB bishops meeting and YOU. ACTION ITEM!
- To US Bishops before their @USCCB meeting: Do not be afraid!
- Happy 243rd Birthday USMC!
- ASK FATHER: Some say Advent is not a penitential season.
- FEEDBACK: “I went to confession for the first time in nine years tonight.”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: blessings
From a reader…
What does it mean for an article of devotion to be “properly blessed” as stated in the Enchiridion of Indulgences? Many of our sacramentals have been blessed by priests or deacons, and two by bishops (my daughter’s crucifix … Continue reading
From a reader…
What formula would be appropriate for blessing a power wheelchair?
Wow! That’s an easy one.
First, you can always use the Blessing “ad omnia“. But we can do better than that.
With a slight twist I reach for my handy copy … Continue reading
From a reader…
Today I asked a priest to bless a green scapular. I had the package open for it to be taken out, but to my surprise the priest left it inside the plastic packaging, sprinkling the holy water on the outside.
Can the … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Are blessings, holy water, etc., less effective if Latin isn’t used? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader… who picked up on something I wrote about blessings and holy water in the traditional form compared to the new, post-Conciliar form… HERE
“The exorcisms of the salt and water are to be done in Latin.”
Father, how essential … Continue reading
Go buy some grapes and take them to the priest for the Feast of the Transfiguration (Sunday, 6 August), with a page from the Rituale Romanum (go to p. 345 – Benedictio uvarum), or cut and paste the English text … Continue reading
People don’t always read carefully before they react.
Let me be clear. It is okay – it is good – for parents to bless their children by tracing the sign of the Cross on their foreheads.
Stop sending me questions about that. … Continue reading
Today we traditionally have the blessing of throats in honor of St. Blaise. Since yesterday was Candlemas it is logical to associate the blessing with candles.
Did you receive a St. Blaise Day blessing of the throat? The combox is open … Continue reading
Wonderful customs come with the Feast of the Epiphany. Real Epiphany is 6 January, by the way.
On Epiphany we can bless gold, frankincense and myrrh. Please bring all your spare, unblessed myrrh to your priest… and your gold. Bring lots … Continue reading
From a reader…
I recently took up homebrewing as a hobby. Are there any traditional prayers, say from monastic brewers, that I can pray while I enjoy my new hobby?
I’m reminded of the old chestnut about whether it is okay to … Continue reading
Go buy some grapes and take them to the priest for the Feast of the Transfiguration (tomorrow, 6 August), with a page from the Rituale Romanum (go to p. 345 – Benedictio uvarum), or cut and paste the English text … Continue reading
From a reader…
Hello Father, I would like to start occasionally using incense at home for my private devotions as well as lighting a couple oil vigil lamps by icons hanging on my walls. Do you have any blessings for these … Continue reading
From a reader…
As a Catholic and a practitioner of the 2nd Amendment, I was wondering if or there are blessings for firearms.
The priests in my local parish strike me as a bit squeamish when it comes to firearms, so I haven’t approached … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our Pastor has started a practice that makes me deeply uncomfortable.
Typically, the first weekend of the month after the announcements, anyone with a special day (birthday, anniversary, etc.) is asked to stand up to receive a special blessing. … Continue reading
The traditional Roman Ritual has wonderful blessings for all sorts of things we use in our daily life, things and places not designated specifically for sacred purposes. For example, you can get your grapes blessed, along with your airplanes, mountain climbing … Continue reading
Every year this comes up. I get questions about the Latin form of blessing to be given by new priests.
There is no need to throw in all sorts of other ingredients as if those to be blessed were lined up … Continue reading