Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Chuck4247: Thank you for the story behind the Christolog ical Goldfinch. I hadn’ ;t heard it before, in spite of numerous references on this blog.
- tamranthor: So, were I to put my faith in this article, I could, by rights, shoot the author, and then apologize, because while I may have committed murder, I did so out of devotion to the Church...
- tamranthor: I’m quite certain that the Pope ascertaine d that both participan ts were in a state of grace prior to commencing the ceremony. Okay, that’ ;s just snarky, but his behav...
- Geoffrey: If this report is accurate, I am pleasantly surprised that Pope “Fra ncis asked them if they were married in the ChurchR 21;. How many clergy would just ignore a coupleR 17;s...
- Akita: Another cause for sorrow in the demolition of the sacraments . Appearance s count. God gave us senses to discern. This is the trivializa tion of a sacrament. Many priests will suffer on...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we lived in an unfallen world, and if all unfallen humans had done their job of taming the earth, all of nature would be a consecrate d part of God’ s cosmic temple. But...
- Suburbanbanshee: 1 answer – “Do I look like the Pope? Heh, maybe he can dispense himself, but my bishop can’ t, and neither can I.” Complicate d answer- Explain the meaning...
- Imrahil: This may be one of my very occasional departures into scrupulosi ty, but if God made or allowed me to remember a mortal sin (or an at least venial sin which I really suspect could have...
- Aquinas Gal: I used to dread papal airplane trips because of what the pope might say. Now I dread them also because of what he might do!
- APX: Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic: Due to the moderation queue I just read your comment of 19 Jan. at 1:14 am. Your admission of your mistake regarding the number of Twitter employees is commendabl e....
- Ave Crux: @frjim4321 : what we don’ t know is actually the problem 230; Saint Francis of Assisi (ironicall y the Pope’ ;s namesake) said that one must avoid even the *appearanc e* of...
- The Masked Chicken: The couple had been civilly married for eight years. Obviously, they did not feel any urgency to get married, sacramenta lly. This, in itself, shows poor formation with regards...
- Blas: Do flying companies allow married workers fly the same plane?
- frjim4321: When I think of all the time and effort I put into marriage preparatio n (and annulment work) I can’ t help but think this was a trivializa tion of a sacrament. On the other hand,...
- Eugene: Once again the supreme law keeper becomes a law breaker, anyone remember washing of womens’ feet before he changed the rule. Nothing matters anymore. So much for me as a father of a family...
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic wrote on 17 Jan. at 4:25pm: “ 230;itR 17;s another of their hoaxes. 221; Actually, as made clear in numerous news reports (left or right politicall y), it...
- PostCatholic: I learned that I was wrong. My recollecti on of 400 employees as the approximat e size of Twitter (I had a business meeting in 2012 at their offices) is out of date and the company...
- jbazchicago: individual
- jbazchicago: Clericalis m is “a failure to realize that the mission belongs to the entire Church, and not to the indupividu al priest or bishop” -Pope Francis
- FrJsignal: I have already been asked, tonight, by a parishione r, why weddings need to be in churches if the Pope can celebrate them on planes. I had not even seen the news before the question came...
- Grant M: It’s the Gretna Greening of the Catholic Church.
- richiedel: “The decision to marry should never be encouraged unless the couple has discerned deeper reasons that will ensure a genuine and stable commitment .” – Pope Franc...
- Ave Crux: Yes, I thought – as Father Andrew confirms above – that receiving the Sacrament of Matrimony without the benefit of a valid Absolution in Confession would be a sacrilege, even...
- pseudomodo: Why does everything have to happen on an airplane ? Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes?
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: blessings
From a reader…
I recently witnessed our parish deacon blessing an image of St. Francis. Do deacons have the power of blessing images. And if not, does the image to be “re-blessed” by a priest?
Given that this is the season for ordinations, this … Continue reading
Here is something useful from Ed “the academic” Peters.
NOTE TO BISHOPS and ORDINANDS:
It would be great were you to make this known to people before the opportunity has passed! Consider putting a note about this things in the worship aids … Continue reading
From a reader:
I’m planning on hatching chickens in the next couple of weeks. I’m using shipped eggs which have a higher mortality rate from being through the mail system. (but I simply can’t get what I want locally) Is there … Continue reading
The nice people at Nova et Vetera sent me an edition of their reprint of the Rituale Romanum.
Their site says:
This is the first edition of the Rituale Romanum since 1957. It is based upon the last Editio typica of 1952, … Continue reading
From a reader:
At Mass today the congregation was asked to raise their hands in blessing over members that are celebrating an anniversary in Sept. I can’t find anything in the GIRM that addresses raising our hands in blessing at Mass. … Continue reading
From a reader:
I’ve heard it claimed that holy water blessed via the new rite isn’t true holy water since the new rite doesn’t include prayers of exorcism; in other words, according to the person telling me this, such water is merely “blessed water” … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons!
From a reader:
I am a Southern Baptist woman ( born and raised). I have been listening to EWTN For a year and attending Mass since Christmas. I had not gone down for a blessing until Easter … Continue reading
I have in the past written about the wide-spread practice of giving blessings during Communion time. This is not to be done, because it is outside what is prescribed at this very important moment during holy Mass.
Of course this practice … Continue reading
Our liturgical calendar is packed with wonderful opportunties for spiritual benefits.
Today there is a special blessing for candles (not just yesterday!) in honor of St. Blaise and then a blessing of throats.
I once stood for hours in the church in … Continue reading
From a reader:
We hope to bring 2 children (extended family) to Mass on Christmas Eve. They have not been baptized.
QUAERITUR: Are unbaptized children allowed to go up to Communion with their arms crossed and receive a blessing? What about an … Continue reading
From a reader:
On Priesthood Sunday just before Mass ended, the resident nun took to the ambo and asked the congregation to extend their hands to bless the priest. She then led a fairly lengthy blessing. My wife and I were uncomfortable with this, … Continue reading
In The Catholic Herald of the Diocese of Madison, where the great Bishop Robert Morlino exercises oversight, there is a great article on an issue we have addressed here many times: Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion giving blessings to non-communicants … Continue reading