- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- papaefidelis said A related question: When should I leave the church...
- Gerhard said Is it OK to leave before the final blessing? The r...
- Ages said For what it’s worth: for the Byzantine rite,...
- mcferran said I recall the first time I attended a Sunday mass b...
- acardnal said Comments like Fr Thompson ‘ s above and othe...
- O. Possum said So when I’m at a Novus Ordo mass and they ha...
- JonPatrick said Just watched “Man for all Seasons” for...
- Persistant said It’s pretty common to see lines for confessi...
- Geoffrey said I know it is allowed and all, but personally I do...
- glennbcnu said JabbaPappa wrote: “No, Pope Francis removed...
- robtbrown said Augustine Thompson O.P. says: Whatever is allowed...
- Fr. Hamilton said I arrived as Pastor of my current parish in 2012....
- WYMiriam said I would be grateful if those who claim that “...
- Matamoros said As one holy priest said, if it were good and true...
- aliceinstpaul said I don’t know what you mean by “leave m...
- Bthompson said Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t reall...
- WYMiriam said I attended an EF Mass, where things were not as us...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay) said Gilbert Fritz says: Be glad you don’t live when th...
- THREEHEARTS said confessions cannot be heard throughout the mass. T...
- iamlucky13 said “Whatever is allowed or approved, I am amaze...
- yatzer said Augustine Thompson O.P. says, “Whatever is a...
- Jenson71 said The Cross remains steady while the world turns.
- iamlucky13 said It looks like the policy books for the Archdiocese...
- Mike said While there’s lots I don’t like about...
- Blaine said As I contemplate my future in the reserves, I need...
- Catharine in Aurora said I was a member of St. John Cantius Parish in Chica...
- Augustine Thompson O.P. said Whatever is allowed or approved, I am amazed that...
- SaintJude6 said Get to confession, not get to parish.
- Giuseppe said I went to one church that heard confessions up unt...
- arga said Thank you Fr. Z for this marvelous reply. You do...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- ASK FATHER: Minimum to fulfill Mass obligation
- ASK FATHER: Confessions during Mass – followup
- Of speaking truth to power, close hair cuts, and you
- ASK FATHER: How are we supposed to remain Catholic these days?
- 29 August – Beheading of John the Baptist and diminishing returns
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- INDONESIA: Wannabe ISIS terrorist stabs priest, fails with bomb
- QUAERITUR: Best translation of St. Augustine’s “Confessions”?
- ASK FATHER: What to do if your parish is extremely liberal?
- WDTPRS 15th Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Church, Peter’s Barque
- Photos from a Mass of Reparation for sacrileges and blasphemies
- UK Ordinariate… Quo?
- ACTION ITEM: Prayers after Earthquake near Norcia, Italy
- WDTPRS – 22nd Ordinary Sunday: graft the love of Your Name into our hearts
- ACTION ITEM! Birettas for Seminarians Project!
- PROXIMA b!
- Screwtape’s letter to Bitterwench
- Benedict explains more about why he abdicated
- Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, ready war.
- Monstrous Soros spent $650K to tame US bishops
- My View For Awhile: Inertia Edition
- Wherein Fr. Z asks readers to offer the Fishwrap some constructive help
- ASK FATHER: Only half-way decent parish near us is still not good. What to do?
- New scientific study concludes NOT “born that way”
- A proposal for wymynpriests
- PRP: 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- ASK FATHER: Converts trying to make 1st Confession –
- Detroit’s crafty new tax on churches
- 22 August: Immaculate Heart and Queenship of Mary
- Reader Feedback
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Bp. Paprocki
Here’s something for your ongoing interest in Pope’s Francis recent off-the-cuff remarks. Pope Francis, after a firestorm of criticism, amends his official remarks from Diocese of Springfield in IL on Vimeo.
DATELINE: Springfield, IL. It seems that in a letter to the edition of the local paper someone went after His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in regard to Communion for the civilly divorced and remarried (CDRs). HERE … Continue reading
Remember when Illinois gave the F-finger to God and passed same-sex marriage? Bp. Paprocki of Springfield performed an exorcism over the state. For which he is to be applauded. Catholics – traditionally – not so much today – use exorcisms. … Continue reading
After the March for Life in Washington DC this year, we had a Pontifical Mass at the Faldstool with His Excellency Most Rev. Thomas Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in Illinois. You will also recall His Excellency’s reaction to the State of … Continue reading
It was a beautiful day in the nations capital. It couldn’t have been better for the March. After the March today we had a wonderful Pontifical Mass at the faldstool with Bp. Paprocki. I don’t have photos yet, but I … Continue reading
On Thursday, 22 January in Washington DC, at 4:00 PM, after the March For Life, there will be a Pontifical Mass at the Faldstool celebrated by His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in Illinois. Mass is … Continue reading
You may recall that a few years ago The Paulus Institute sponsored a magnificent Pontifical Mass at the Throne in the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. Bp. Slattery of Tulsa was the celebrant for the Mass, which … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Thomas Paprocki of Springfield in Illinois, who is not afraid to use exorcisms, has issued a pastoral letter called Ars celebrandi et adorandi… The art of celebrating and worshiping. He has taken his title, surely, from … Continue reading
Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) tested new depths of tacky today. They published, on the 20th anniversary of St. John Paul II’s Apostolic Letter Ordinatio sacerdotalis, a piece by the excommunicated “lady tambourine ‘priest‘” (perhaps you recall the Bob Dylan parody … Continue reading
This is from LifeSite Illinois bishop upholds priest’s decision to deny Communion to pro-abort Sen. Dick Durbin SPRINGFIELD, IL, April 3, 2014 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Bishop Thomas J. Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois, known for his outspoken defense of the right to … Continue reading
First, Fr. Z kudos to Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield in Illinois. Bishop Paprocki reacted to the evil decision in Illinois in the way that a Catholic bishop can and ought to react: he prayed. He fought back against the … Continue reading
Bp. Paprocki seems to be a “hard identity” Catholic. We need “hard identity” Catholicism. That doesn’t mean being mean. That means being clear. “Hard identity” Catholicism doesn’t reject compassion or diplomacy or joy. That’s what liberals do. “Hard identity” Catholics … Continue reading
The National Schismatic Reporter’s Michael Sean Winters continues that non-Catholic site’s onslaught on orthodox bishops. Here is a sample: My colleague Brian Roewe reported yesterday on an interview given by Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois. There is much that … Continue reading
Preambles: Homosexuals often commit the most physically brutal crimes that the police see. [UPDATE: Some people in the tweetosphere are having a spittle-flecked nutty about the sentence I wrote, above. At least I think that is why there is a … Continue reading