Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Dear Fr. Z., It’s interestin g that CNN’ s report on this basically says the book is “lig ht on verifiable accounts and heavy on innuendo 8221; and that...
- Spinmamma: Thank you, dear Father Z, for being proof in action of the truth of your words. A sobering rant, but inspiring to love more our fellows who struggle with their own burdens, and embrace...
- rally1042: Not a rant Father, but a clear thoughtful , heartfelt explanatio n, with prayerful advise for your brother priests. Thank you. My innermost being is so easily enraged by this subject...
- Fr. Kelly: Lurker 59 I think you missed Fr. Z’s point. If we use the term “The Divine Liturgy 221; when referring to the Mass, then how will we refer to Benedictio n, Public Celebr...
- JabbaPapa: Father Z : To all these claims of a high percentage of queer clergy I say B as in B, S as in S I came to a pretty much identical conclusion earlier today, looking at some French secular...
- WmHesch: @Augustine Thompson Due to WWII, there certainly was some Latin illiteracy in the years before the Council 230; some of the Orders mitigated Latin proficienc y because 1st year semina...
- Kathleen10: Thank you for this, Fr. Z. This is so true. As a layperson, it has become obvious that whatever VII was intended to be by some, it has helped facilitate a departure from Catholicis m as...
- gvhorwitz: I get the sneaking suspicion that this is nothing more than throwing the bishops a bone prior to this upcoming February 2019 meeting. I’m sure that there will be no mention of the fact...
- teomatteo: Which one? I’m not sure but thanks for the info. I saw it in Chicago which stirred a memory from me and i’m sure you are tired of this thread. I just think that if, if Mr...
- Lurker 59: Suggestion : Let us use the term “The Divine Liturgy 221; when speaking of the Mass. [Let us in the Western Church says “Mas s” when referring to Mass. When we talk...
- SKAY: Has Pope Francis commented on this?
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: teomatteo says: Vermeer’s ‘The Scale’R 30;Van Gogh’s ‘Bedroom in Arles’ Vermeer 217;s Woman With A Scale has religious overtones. Behind the woman is a painting on the...
- Fr. Kelly: The timing — at least — on this stinks to high heaven.
- Fr. Kelly: Before we get too too excited about the definitive character of this punishment , let’ s consider the case of Ernesto Cardenal. John Paul II suspended him a divinis in 1979 because...
- Fallibilissimo: @Grant M Thanks for that! That’ ;s very interestin g. I have to look up more about this, you’ ve tickled my curiosity.
- Gab: I think I could use a tipple of Tanqueray right about now. No ice, of course.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I don’ t think the the later liturgical career of an editor (McManus) is any reason to reject this book. [Who did that?!?] That would be the ancient ad hominem...
- WmHesch: What’s the “Blessing and Dedication of a Child” for, or where would it fit in? Seems like something cool to do when they’re 4 or 5 and might remember it. There was a Blessing of Child...
- robtbrown: Abp ViganoR 17; is of course correct about the shoddy theologica l formation involved in all the problems of priests and religious. The problem is that the liturgy continues to...
- robtbrown: Bellarmino says It is essentiall y the inmate running the asylum Perhaps better: The monkeys running the zoo* * With a grateful nod to HLMencken
- robtbrown: Unwilling, Recommendi ng Tanqueray is another strike against Francis, as far as I am concerned. It represents much of what was wrong during the Counter Reformatio n Church. Read Garrig...
- Charles E Flynn: When an image from the works of Gustave Doré is used to introduce an article, you know that ahead lies at least one weighty theme.
- Kathleen10: Thank you to Abp. Vigano for stating the truth and asking the questions the poor laity might ask if given the opportunit y. One point, and it doesn̵ 7;t seem minor. He said the...
- teomatteo: Benedict Joseph, your responce to TonyO was interestin g to me. I have had the opportunit y to see Vermeer 217;s ‘The Scale̵ 7; at the Detroit Institute up close (as per Fr...
- Charles E Flynn: Sardine bones are a source of calcium: http://www .eatingwel l.com/arti cle/15730/ the-1-food -you-shoul d-eat-and- probably-d ont/
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Bp. Williamson
I saw at CWR that former SSPX Bp. Richard Williamson intends soon in Brazil to consecrate at least one priest as a bishop. He will immediately incur, again, the excommunication which he had incurred at the time of his own … Continue reading
Sigh… I am going to keep the combox on moderation. A site HERE is reporting rumor that… I have been informed of an upcoming clandestine meeting of clerics who were recently expelled from the FSSPX. These priests were invited to leave … Continue reading
From VIS: The Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” takes this occasion to announce that, in its most recent official communication (6 September 2012), the Priestly Fraternity of St. Pius X has indicated that additional time for reflection and study is needed … Continue reading
Communiqué of the General House of the Society of Saint Pius X (October 24, 2012) 24-10-2012 Bishop Richard Williamson, having distanced himself from the management and the government of the SSPX for several years, and refusing to show due respect … Continue reading
According to the intrepid Andrea Tornielli, the SSPX Superior Bp. Fellay has sent an ultimatum to SSPX Bp. Williamson asking him to back away from some claims. And there is a time limit. If Williamson does not conform, he could … Continue reading
From CWN: The controversial Bishop Richard Williamson may soon be dismissed from the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX), according to a leading Vatican journalist. Citing a report on the German internet site Kreuz.net, Andrea Tornielli of La Stampa says … Continue reading
Via CMR I found this about the SSPX and their equivalent of the “crazy-uncle in the attic” Bp. Williamson. My emphases: Bishop McCrazy Says He Wants Bp. Fellay Out Bishop Williamson of the SSPX, a guy who makes the Moony … Continue reading
“I’d rather be in the ditch off the left side of the road than off the right side!”, quoth Jackson.* Noooo, Dear Jackson. You can also stop swerving around, avoid both ditches, and drive responsibly according to the law given … Continue reading
My friend over at The Sensible Bond has a very interesting observation about the continuing doctrinal talks between the Holy See’s CDF and the SSPX. As you know, there will be a meeting of the SSPX superiors with Roman officials … Continue reading
SSPX Bp. Williamson: I’m not yet a Sedevacanist and its hard to say Pope Benedict is a formal heretic
Our friends at Rorate have posted about comments made by SSPX Bp. Williamson. My emphases: In his latest column regarding the beatification of John Paul II, one of the Bishops of Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, Richard Williamson, ends … Continue reading
Here is an interesting bit from the DICI site of the SSPX: GENERAL HOUSE PRESS RELEASE 11-21-2010 Filed under From Tradition, News The Superior General, Bishop Bernard Fellay, has learnt by the press of Bishop Richard Williamson’s decision, just ten … Continue reading
It seems that SSPX Bishop Richard Williamson is a bit worried. To his latest piece, which I received by email from a reader, I add my emphases and comments. Before we start drilling, however, here are a few points to … Continue reading
From NPR and, of course, AP: Bishop Convicted For Denying Holocaust by The Associated Press BERLIN April 16, 2010, 10:14 A German court convicted ultraconservative British Bishop Richard Williamson on Friday for denying the Holocaust in a television interview. A … Continue reading
Pain is a matter of perspective and priority. You cease to think of your headache if you hit your thumb with a hammer. After the last couple of weeks of slime in the MSM, how pleasant it seems – by … Continue reading