Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Glennonite: I note that the Lavender Mafia takes the specific liturgical color for penance: violet; and then twists it into an unrepentan t lavender.
- Supertradmum: Archbishop Scicluna of Malta, who forced the Chilean bishops to resign, as the expert on sexual abuse cases, has been appointed by the Pope to go to the United States and investigat e...
- Mike: Father distinguis hed four purposes of a Gospel passage such as that of the ten lepers: literal, allegorica l, moral, and eschatolog ical. I don’ t recall everything he said about each,...
- frjim4321: I wasn’ ;t commenting on propriety of such relationsh ips, rather commenting that those will be targeted as if they pertain in any way to the failure of the policers to police...
- Elizabeth D: There̵ 7;s no age appropriat e sexual activity outside of valid marriage. Priests who consider sexually active celibate priests to be acceptable offend Christ and His Mother and...
- Joy65: PLEASE listen to Father Larry Richards 8217; 7 minute homily from this morning. He was abused and he has the answer. https://th ereasonfor ourhope.or g/2018/aug ust-19-201 8-20th-...
- Prayerful: Fr talked of how the Gospel for the thirteenth Sunday has an utterly obviously literal meaning in respect of gratitude yet it can be read spirituall y, that the leprosy can be seen as...
- Charlotte Allen: @ChesterFr ank: Thanks for the heads-up on Haftina! The difference between the chasubles that Haftina shows on its website and those modeled in that “fas hion show” ;...
- Adaquano: Our pastor again addressed the scandals, stressing how the era of lazy, cultural, cafeteria Catholicis m must end and that we all called to live radical lives. He stressed that by dying...
- Maximilian75: The Pennsylvan ia scandal was addressed, thank God. A fantastic homily.
- TonyO: Scapegoati ng gay bishops, priests and seminarian is not going to help, it’s going to hurt. More than it already has. And, terrorizin g priests who are in age-approp riate sexual relatio...
- JabbaPapa: Real Presence, Death, warning against improper reception of the Sacraments , good theologica l instructio n on the Real, not merely symbolic nor representa tive nor abstract, purpose of...
- Gerard Plourde: The use of the Rite of Exorcism is a good suggestion . I also support the suggestion made by Fallibilss imo that the Rite be performed by the Universal Church. Traditiona l Catho...
- Subdeacon Joseph: There is no right to error in the Church because error seeks to destroy the truth of God’s divine laws and His divinely revealed soul saving doctrines. There have always been...
- Kathleen10: frjim, you make it really difficult to find common ground. I want to like you and love you, you are a priest, but what you have written here makes me wonder if we are members of the...
- Fr Martin Fox: FrJim said: And, terrorizin g priests who are in age-approp riate sexual relationsh ips as if this is in anyway causative of abuse, is simple projection . No priest of the Latin Rite...
- Malta: On another note, I hate it when I am out hiking and sheep fall on me: https://ww w.irishtim es.com/new s/ireland/ irish-news /hiker-hos pitalised- after-he-i s-hit-by-f alling-she ep-on-i...
- Fr Martin Fox: RobtBrown said: I have little use for the phrase “same sex attraction ” because it permits, and perhaps even encourages , that there is some link between close friendship among men...
- Malta: The first person pope Francis is going to visit when he arrives in Ireland is President Higgins. https://ww w.irishtim es.com/new s/social-a ffairs/pre sident-sig ns-same-se x-marri...
- Kathleen10: lol Fr. Z. The CD’s are fantastic. I only have one, Caroling at Ephesus, but my word, what lovely music. They offer all their CD’s at a very good price for the collection .
- GregB: tho wrote: * There are two types of discipline , imposed and self. Far and away, the majority of us need imposed discipline . * We are all born with Original Sin. We are all to some extent...
- straphaelguy: Today our associate pastor had the sermon. He started out with the phrase “mak ing the most of the opportunit y, because the days are evil. ” from the second reading, and...
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked about the scandals. I read the apologies of Cardinal DiNardo and our Archbishop , then I talked about righteous anger, and the need for the laity to act; I urged everyone to...
- frjim4321: = “bot her”
- frjim4321: “The n he goes on to underscore s what so obviously lies at the core of this crisis, namely, the influence of homosexual ity, not just pedophilia , but homosexual ity.” ; This...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: can. 249
How many times in these electronic pages have I lamented the blatant disobedience in regard to can. 249?
I remind the readership, especially those readers who are diocesan bishops, that the Code of Canon Law, can. 249, requires – it doesn’t suggest … Continue reading
From a seminarian…
I am a seminarian for ___, and I have been looking for a 4 Vol. Latin Breviary [Liturgia Horarum] … I emailed the Libreria Editrice Vaticana and received this response:
Dear Mr. __,
I’m sorry to inform you that all the … Continue reading
From a reader…
My Latin is not great will an ordinary form mass I celebrate in Latin be valid?
Sure, Father, it would be valid.
Language is a tricky thing. There are almost always gaps in our comprehension of texts, even in our … Continue reading
The ancient Romans really knew how to build.
They built the Roman Rite, after all.
The Roman Rite is a foundation of the West.
The Roman Rite reflects the Roman “Thing”, its genius. The Roman genius is to be concrete, clear, concise.
Latin is … Continue reading
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived.
Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the Pontifical … Continue reading
Fr. John Hunwicke, priest, gentleman and Latinist, has a spiffing post at his blog Mutual Enrichment (which title is a reference to Summorum Pontificum).
He writes about Latin. Here is a taste of the first part with my oft-imitated emphases and comments:
Since Papa Bergoglio … Continue reading
I received word via email… the Traditional Latin Mass has “returned” to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia.
This is an exceptionally good development. They should should have it every week, at least.
Here are a few snaps from their flicker feed … Continue reading
From a reader…
Since His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has allowed the Latin mass to be celebrated by Priest without special per mission, many younger Priest and young Catholics have been celebrating the Latin mass more often. Do you think this … Continue reading
Many are the times that I have lamented the nearly complete disobedience to the Code of Canon Law and the expressed will of modern Roman Pontiffs about the Latin language. For example, the 1983 Code of Canon Law, can. 249, … Continue reading
From a reader…
Can a bishop in a diocese forbid seminarians from attending the extraordinary form of the Mass?
This is happening in the ___ diocese. My friend who just entered this seminary informed me of this when I invited him to … Continue reading
At the blog of The Chairman of the LMS there is great news.
For a while I lamented that the Congregation for Catholic Education’s 1990 Instruction on the Study of the Fathers of the Church in the Formation of Priests was … Continue reading
REVIEW: St. Thomas Aquinas – Commentaries on St. Paul in Latin and English (not to mention the Summa Theologiae)
The 1983 Code of Canon Law doesn’t mention many saints apart from their feast days. As you can imagine, the greats such as the Mary the Mother of God, Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Joseph, come up. Apart from them, … Continue reading
You will all be pleased to know that the Holy Father’s Motu Proprio establishing the Pontifical Academy for Latin. The name of the Motu Proprio is, amazingly enough, Latina lingua! No! Really!
The new Academy will be under the aegis of … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If a priest cannot say Mass in the Extraordinary Form, is he properly trained? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader:
At ordination, the rector of the seminary is asked if the candidate is fully prepared for priestly duties. If a priest cannot say Mass in the E F, should that be considered not being prepared to assume his … Continue reading
From a seminarian:
I am a seminarian from the southern region of the US. Here at seminary, there are many guys, I myself included, who are more traditionally minded who enjoy Latin and orthodoxy. Others however, see that the hispanic populations … Continue reading