Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- frjim4321: just a few … believe me, I know how to do it … [Until someone shows you a better way.]
- frjim4321: Honestly? You call that a martini? Where is the condensati on? Where is the skim of little ice chips floating on the surface? You need me to make you a proper martini. [Okay̷ 0; we...
- RomualdMonk: So much for having a longer marriage prep formation prior to marriage as Pope Francis pushed a few years back as necessary.
- Grant M: This could become a habit: Flight Attendant: “Holy Father, I’m not baptised or confirmed yet.” Pope grabs a bottle of mineral water and a sachet of olive oil from the trolley. In a...
- Charles E Flynn: In 2017, there were no fatal crashes of commercial airliners. And yet, the outstandin g Smithsonia n Channel program, called “Air Disasters& #8221; in the USA and narra...
- Volanges: The article I read said that they approached him and asked him to “ble ss their marriage 8221;. That’ ;s when he asked if they were married in the Church and they explai...
- SenexCalvus: The Pope used the Power of the Keys to heal and sanctify a relationsh ip between a man and a woman in need of God’s forgivenes s and grace. [Is that so?] To effect such healings is the...
- Joy65: “As this story reverberat es ‘round the world, now, deacons, priests, and bishops who try to uphold Church norms fostering values such as deliberate marriage preparatio n, an eccles...
- Ave Crux: @Akita: unlike some other members of the hierarchy who shall remain unamed for the sake of this post, I have said many times in discussion with others, and still believe, that Pope...
- Southern Catholic: PostCathol ic, Twitter wouldnR 17;t need a copyright to database informatio n that is sent and received on the platform it owns and operates. Can you point me to what law...
- Imrahil: I’m really sorry for the inadverten t paste of something I didn’ ;t even intentiona lly copy. (Though I don’ t think it’s a mortal sin.)
- The Masked Chicken: “Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?R 21; Well, that won’ t be me. Every...
- Traductora: I read just a little while ago that this was actually arranged in advance with a Francis “advisor,” Francis and the couple. I doubt that they had preparatio n or a resolution of their...
- Chuck4247: Thank you for the story behind the Christolog ical Goldfinch. I hadn’ ;t heard it before, in spite of numerous references on this blog.
- tamranthor: So, were I to put my faith in this article, I could, by rights, shoot the author, and then apologize, because while I may have committed murder, I did so out of devotion to the Church...
- tamranthor: I’m quite certain that the Pope ascertaine d that both participan ts were in a state of grace prior to commencing the ceremony. Okay, that’ ;s just snarky, but his behav...
- Geoffrey: If this report is accurate, I am pleasantly surprised that Pope “Fra ncis asked them if they were married in the ChurchR 21;. How many clergy would just ignore a coupleR 17;s...
- Akita: Another cause for sorrow in the demolition of the sacraments . Appearance s count. God gave us senses to discern. This is the trivializa tion of a sacrament. Many priests will suffer on...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we lived in an unfallen world, and if all unfallen humans had done their job of taming the earth, all of nature would be a consecrate d part of God’ s cosmic temple. But...
- Suburbanbanshee: 1 answer – “Do I look like the Pope? Heh, maybe he can dispense himself, but my bishop can’ t, and neither can I.” Complicate d answer- Explain the meaning...
- Imrahil: This may be one of my very occasional departures into scrupulosi ty, but if God made or allowed me to remember a mortal sin (or an at least venial sin which I really suspect could have...
- Aquinas Gal: I used to dread papal airplane trips because of what the pope might say. Now I dread them also because of what he might do!
- APX: Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic: Due to the moderation queue I just read your comment of 19 Jan. at 1:14 am. Your admission of your mistake regarding the number of Twitter employees is commendabl e....
- Ave Crux: @frjim4321 : what we don’ t know is actually the problem 230; Saint Francis of Assisi (ironicall y the Pope’ ;s namesake) said that one must avoid even the *appearanc e* of...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: can. 249
How many times in these electronic pages have I lamented the blatant disobedience in regard to can. 249?
I remind the readership, especially those readers who are diocesan bishops, that the Code of Canon Law, can. 249, requires – it doesn’t suggest … Continue reading
From a seminarian…
I am a seminarian for ___, and I have been looking for a 4 Vol. Latin Breviary [Liturgia Horarum] … I emailed the Libreria Editrice Vaticana and received this response:
Dear Mr. __,
I’m sorry to inform you that all the … Continue reading
From a reader…
My Latin is not great will an ordinary form mass I celebrate in Latin be valid?
Sure, Father, it would be valid.
Language is a tricky thing. There are almost always gaps in our comprehension of texts, even in our … Continue reading
The ancient Romans really knew how to build.
They built the Roman Rite, after all.
The Roman Rite is a foundation of the West.
The Roman Rite reflects the Roman “Thing”, its genius. The Roman genius is to be concrete, clear, concise.
Latin is … Continue reading
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived.
Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the Pontifical … Continue reading
Fr. John Hunwicke, priest, gentleman and Latinist, has a spiffing post at his blog Mutual Enrichment (which title is a reference to Summorum Pontificum).
He writes about Latin. Here is a taste of the first part with my oft-imitated emphases and comments:
Since Papa Bergoglio … Continue reading
I received word via email… the Traditional Latin Mass has “returned” to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia.
This is an exceptionally good development. They should should have it every week, at least.
Here are a few snaps from their flicker feed … Continue reading
From a reader…
Since His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has allowed the Latin mass to be celebrated by Priest without special per mission, many younger Priest and young Catholics have been celebrating the Latin mass more often. Do you think this … Continue reading
Many are the times that I have lamented the nearly complete disobedience to the Code of Canon Law and the expressed will of modern Roman Pontiffs about the Latin language. For example, the 1983 Code of Canon Law, can. 249, … Continue reading
From a reader…
Can a bishop in a diocese forbid seminarians from attending the extraordinary form of the Mass?
This is happening in the ___ diocese. My friend who just entered this seminary informed me of this when I invited him to … Continue reading
At the blog of The Chairman of the LMS there is great news.
For a while I lamented that the Congregation for Catholic Education’s 1990 Instruction on the Study of the Fathers of the Church in the Formation of Priests was … Continue reading
REVIEW: St. Thomas Aquinas – Commentaries on St. Paul in Latin and English (not to mention the Summa Theologiae)
The 1983 Code of Canon Law doesn’t mention many saints apart from their feast days. As you can imagine, the greats such as the Mary the Mother of God, Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Joseph, come up. Apart from them, … Continue reading
You will all be pleased to know that the Holy Father’s Motu Proprio establishing the Pontifical Academy for Latin. The name of the Motu Proprio is, amazingly enough, Latina lingua! No! Really!
The new Academy will be under the aegis of … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If a priest cannot say Mass in the Extraordinary Form, is he properly trained? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader:
At ordination, the rector of the seminary is asked if the candidate is fully prepared for priestly duties. If a priest cannot say Mass in the E F, should that be considered not being prepared to assume his … Continue reading
From a seminarian:
I am a seminarian from the southern region of the US. Here at seminary, there are many guys, I myself included, who are more traditionally minded who enjoy Latin and orthodoxy. Others however, see that the hispanic populations … Continue reading