Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Julia_Augusta: EmilB, I agree that abortion on demand is not the answer. But the Pill is, for many women. They have a husband who refuses to control himself. She is required to “submit to her...
- GM Thobe: It is important to note that marriage has as a primary end the procreatio n and education of children, and as subordinat e ends mutual aid and the quieting of concupisce nce. So begett...
- KateD: I inform my children that priests are princes of the Kingdom of Heaven right here on Earth. And… Jesus said in Heaven there is no marriage or divorce, so isn’ t it appropriat e...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: southernpr iest: You might try Archbp. Carroll 217;s great prayer! HERE
- southernpriest: Beautiful prayer for priests, and I am going to put it in my bulletin. We recently had a past pastor, and a friend of mine, removed for accusation s with a young man; so it is even...
- iPadre: I think the left out two words! “Dis regard for” Humanae Vitae̵ 7;s ban on contracept ion causes human suffering. Think of all the young people who have become intrenched in...
- KateD: Omigosh! Chesterton 63! Right?!? Respectful ly, Kevin Cardinal Ferrall, is mistaken. I tell my children they will be called to either religious or married life. What is most important is to...
- hwriggles4: Here’ ;s another thing too, and good priests notice this: Catholic marriages are down considerab ly. Dioceses often keep statistics on this. Here are a few observatio ns as to why:...
- Ave Maria: These writers and this paper are a scandal and a scourge upon the earth and they lead souls astray which is gravely sinful.
- thomistking: @Julia_Aug usta: Catholics aren’ ;t consequent ialists. No amount of bemoaning consequenc es or what the clergy preach about changes that Catholics believe some acts can never be...
- EmilB: Julia_Augu sta, you make a valid point. That situation MUST be addressed in the areas of the world where that culture is embedded. Women are not to be abused in any way. We, as good Christ...
- thomistking: ‘Mos t priests were taught three models of female sexuality: the pure and holy virgin, the chaste mother who only engages in sex for the sake of conceiving a child, or the wanton...
- Kevin: I am currently reading “The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetic al Collection ”. This is a quote from St. Anthony the Great from the 4th Century. “A time is coming when...
- Joy65: Praying for the future of our Catholic Church that ALL Priests will be good, holy devout and be serving God and Neighbor not themselves . As I always do daily praying for ALL Pries...
- EmilB: Facing complexity in decision making?! Join the club sister! Try being a man some time. A straight man. With boys to raise. In this current cultural cesspool.
- Julia_Augusta: I know where this anger comes from. I grew up in a predominan tly Catholic country where abortion is still banned and where there is no divorce to this day. Here’s what it’s like:...
- dbf223: “The number of conservati ve or traditiona l bishops being appointed will probably drop, thus creating a slowly growing identity rift between faithful and their local chief pastors...
- frjimt: A great time to begin the novena to st anne… ; Starting July 17th… ;26th
- cantrix: EF Mass: Why did the Lord commend the cheating steward? Because he was assiduous and careful in obtaining his goals. Do we work that persistent ly on our spiritual goals? Father also spoke...
- MjMcC: “ind ividual conscience ” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
- Ms. M-S: This post brought to mind the image of pruning in a vineyard to encourage the fruitful branches. If you want to see (and hear) the future of the Church, go to a TLM.
- mepoindexter: Our diocese just appointed our EF priest as full-time “Dio cesian Administra tor for the Extraordin ary Form” ;. For us this could be described as “Goo d news” ;...
- Sandy: Praying the Memorare on this feast day of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. May Our Mother help her priest sons, you too Father Z.
- Il Ratzingeriano: A holy priest who embraces celibacy and the ChurchR 17;s teachings concerning sexuality can dispassion ately present marriage in all its beauty and as such is uniquely qualif...
- Fr. Kelly: Elizabeth D, please allow me to express profound thanks for the spiritual insights you have provided for us in these comments. With you, I hold that an order of penitents might add to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 07/07/07 – Summorum Pontificum 11 years on – WORK HARDER!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: candles
This Sunday, in the Novus Ordo calendar, is called the 3rd Sunday of Easter. Let’s have a look at the Collect.
This Sunday’s Collect, it seems to me, reflects a conscious attempt on the part of Holy Church to remind us … Continue reading
From a reader…
can you have catholic mass without candles
The THE GENERAL INSTRUCTION OF THE ROMAN MISSAL – says the following
307. The candles, which are required at every liturgical service out of reverence and on account of the festivity of the … Continue reading
Today is the Feast of St. Blaise, about whom we know very little. We have only this very brief entry in the Martyrologium Romanum:
Sancti Blasii, episcopi et martyris, qui pro christiano nomine Sabaste in Armenia passus est sub Licino … Continue reading
Today we traditionally have the blessing of throats in honor of St. Blaise. Since yesterday was Candlemas it is logical to associate the blessing with candles.
Did you receive a St. Blaise Day blessing of the throat?
You don’t have to be … Continue reading
A sample of the music. We had a great choir from Eau Claire.
A few snaps from beautiful Candlemas 2018.
From a reader…
I recently purchased some beeswax candles which I want to have blessed in order to use them at home. My question is this: is there a preferable material for devotional candles? Is there a difference between, say, a … Continue reading
Last night we had a beautiful Candlemas with the blessing of candles, a procession and Pontifical Mass at the Throne. Many heartfelt thanks and kudos to the Extraordinary Ordinary, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison, for … Continue reading
Every time I get my throat blessed on St. Blaise Day, I get a sore throat or bronchitis. Although… this year I have already had it, so I hope I’ve dodged for February.
Ever the optimist, I keep going back each … Continue reading
From a reader…
Dear Father, We have, on occasion, attended Mass at a Novus Ordo parish when we cannot get to the distant Latin Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in our area. We were shocked to see young girl altar servers … Continue reading
Today is the final “peak” arising from the liturgical cycle of Advent/Christmas/Epiphany. Today, called in the traditional way and according to the older Roman calendar the Feast of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Holy Church would cease to … Continue reading
From a reader…
I was just wondering if there are any documents that specifically require the composition of liturgical candles to be made of beeswax.
Quite often I see paraffin candles being used for the sacred liturgy, whether traditional or contemporary and … Continue reading
Here is the Pope’s sermon for the Easter Vigil.
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Easter is the feast of the new creation. Jesus is risen and dies no more. He has opened the door to a new life, one that no longer knows … Continue reading
Our liturgical calendar is packed with wonderful opportunties for spiritual benefits.
Today there is a special blessing for candles (not just yesterday!) in honor of St. Blaise and then a blessing of throats.
I once stood for hours in the church in … Continue reading
Under another entry, a commentator asked:
Why [were] the altar candles sometimes in line (as for the Mass of 1 Jan) and sometimes in echelon (as at Christmas Midnight Mass).
I think he was asking about putting the candles at an angle. … Continue reading